Dick Glass

Clay Pigeon

Gold Meritorious Patron
I have no idea where he is now but your post brought up this memory. It was the late 70's and he came to the Portland Mission to do a show. He had the staff all gather together beforehand. He asked for everyone to give him $5. You have to understand that we were all VERY POOR and $5 was food in our bellies. I didn't even have $5 and borrowed it from someone else. He took all the money put it on a metal chair and lit it on fire and burned it all up!! This was supposed to be a "havingness" drill to get our havingness up so that we could get a lot of money out of the public after his performance. I still haven't quite gotten over that :) I just kept thinking of the food I could buy with that money.......

gruesome...

He didn't do that when he came to FCDC fortunately. I liked the guy. Kathie and I had his "Elephant Country" album

Koot

Patron with Honors
gruesome...

He didn't do that when he came to FCDC fortunately. I liked the guy. Kathie and I had his "Elephant Country" album
He thought he was burning money but he was really burning fans!!! Excellent example of the mis-application of some tech point.

GingeR Lox

It was really weird to see his name here, it's been a long time since I thought of him. I didn't really know him, but I knew a woman that he had a relationship with when she was, surprise surprise, 14.
Anyway, the reason this caught my eye is because 18 years ago I almost gave up my daughter for adoption to a Scientology couple in Glendale. After she was born I changed my mind. I felt really terrible for it, but there was nothing to be done - I was keeping her. The church sent people to my house to get me to change my mind, I got a letter from the C/S telling me that I was going to infect my daughter with my abberations. One of the people who came to my house was an OT 8? staff auditor who told me that I should give her up because I was interfering with an agreement made between the couple and my daughter - who they felt sure was none other than...... Dick Glass.
So according to some, "he" is living right here in Oregon with me. I'll pass on the messages! :))

Hi Soylent Night,

I know this is a super ancient post... Just under curiosity, who was the 14 year old relationship with and when?

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Hi Soylent Night,

I know this is a super ancient post... Just under curiosity, who was the 14 year old relationship with and when?
Hi GingeR,

Soylent Night hasn't been here on the forum in almost 8 years. So your chances of getting a response are slim.

But :welcome2:

GingeR Lox

Alice
In the early 90s I seem to remember him telling me about someone he met again, years later after he was just about ready to propose marraige (years earlier) -- how crazy he was about her, said he'd knew her when she was young. He really loved you, girl :clap:

The amputation didnt occur until late on the chain, so to speak :) in the last 1.5 years or so. I'd visited him and spent time with him in the hospital.

As to his music your story has really touched me and I will endeavor to find what song it was. It will mean my attempt to contact the executor and person who got his music library 16 years ago, but I will try. Here's an excerpt from Dick's Will, which I personaly retrieved from his computer after his death, and which may be meaningful:

"I wish my body to be cremated and the ashes disposed of, as convenient, on Trout Lake in the Warm Springs wilderness, Oregon. "

It is my understanding that the executor, Steve Canon, did in fact carry out Dick's last wish :) Thank you, Steve -- where ever you are now.

Here is the flyer for the Service:

======
Celebrity Centre International

Memorial Service
August 2, 1992

RICHARD MICHAEL GLASS

Born: June 2, 1940 Troy, New York
Died: July 30, 1992 Los Angeles, California

Opening Song - "You Can't Stop Tomorrow"

Master Of Ceremonies: Welcome to all

"About the Author" - by Dick Glass

To Dick - poem by Barbara Cordova

Music by Dick Glass:
"You Can't Stop Tomorrow"
RCA Records
"The Golden Dawn" - Yvonne Gillham.
Produced by and music by Dick Glass
Axioms Productions
"Beautiful Day, Beautiful People
Capitol Records
"Elephant Country"
Capitol Records

Memories by his Friends

Music by Dick Glass:
"Sometimes I Hear the Sun" - Dan Perz
Poem by Dick Glass read to music
DAMP Records
"Sailing"
RCA Records

Eulogy - by Sonja Svensen
Funeral Oration - Rev. Heber Jentzsch
Ode to Man
===============

Well, Alice, I will search what I can. I have listened to his Service for the first time in 16 years. I will record it and make it available to you and others.

There are no regrets in life, Alice. Onliy discoveries and adventures and new vistas. Being in Scn for more than 2/3 of my life only brought me to my real Golden Age of awareness and Inner Development. Dick, if he were here right now, would hear me more than ever. We knew the Truth then but were just not able to articulate it!

The Cherub
Hi GingeR,

Soylent Night hasn't been here on the forum in almost 8 years. So your chances of getting a response are slim.

b
Hi GingeR,

Hi GingeR,

Hi GingeR,

Hi, thank you! I really didn’t realize that there were this many people on the Internet still talking about my friend, Dick Glass. My real name is Melissa. I was with Dick the night he died. I was the only person to see him take his last breath. I was 15 years old at the time. My parents and I lived upstairs from him and were the property managers of the apartment building where he lived in Glendale, California. Dick hired me to help him with chores in the house since he was an amputee and in a motorized wheelchair. I only knew him for a very short time before he had his heart attack. It was traumatizing for me and I suffered with six months of anxiety after his death. I have thought of him so many times over the years and the opening song at his service “you can’t stop tomorrow” was my request. I would love to chat and share memories here with everyone. There are some here that claim he is alive, he is not. If there is anyone that would like to chat, I am more than happy to answer any questions.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Hi, thank you! I really didn’t realize that there were this many people on the Internet still talking about my friend, Dick Glass. My real name is Melissa. I was with Dick the night he died. I was the only person to see him take his last breath. I was 15 years old at the time. My parents and I lived upstairs from him and were the property managers of the apartment building where he lived in Glendale, California. Dick hired me to help him with chores in the house since he was an amputee and in a motorized wheelchair. I only knew him for a very short time before he had his heart attack. It was traumatizing for me and I suffered with six months of anxiety after his death. I have thought of him so many times over the years and the opening song at his service “you can’t stop tomorrow” was my request. I would love to chat and share memories here with everyone. There are some here that claim he is alive, he is not. If there is anyone that would like to chat, I am more than happy to answer any questions.
Hi Melissa, many of those on this thread here are not around much or at all, but I tried sending a message to one of them.

I didn't know Dick Glass, but got curious from reading this thread, what year did he did?

Churchill

Gold Meritorious Patron
I met Dick Glass a couple of times. He was a sweet guy. I had the impression that he believed Scientology would somehow catapult his career into stardom. It didn’t.
I hope that before he passed, he understood how he was used,manipulated, and ultimately discarded by them.

JustSheila

Crusader
b

Hi Melissa,

That's so awful. It's hard to watch others you know die, especially when you're young and full of life, energy, health and vigor and have a whole life ahead of you. I'm sorry to hear about this and sorry you went through this. Hugs :hug:

I knew Dick Glass in the early 80s in Los Angeles when I worked at AOLA and I was on an auditor training course with him at ASHO that I took as a Sea Org member (I think it was "The New Era Dianetics" (Class V) course). I twinned with him (paired up to drill each other) for a while. As a fellow student and a twin, he was a really nice guy. I saw him around ASHO back then and never heard much about him afterward.

Thank you for looking after him when he was having such a tough time. You sound like a good-hearted woman and it's nice to have you join us here. Is there anything more you can tell us about Dick Glass?

What about you? Were you ever in Scientology, Melissa? What was it like for you?

GingeR Lox

Hi Melissa, many of those on this thread here are not around much or at all, but I tried sending a message to one of them.

I didn't know Dick Glass, but got curious from reading this thread, what year did he did?
Hi there, he passed away in July of 1992. He was in his early 50’s. I was 15 years old. I happened to be at his home putting away laundry and vacuuming his room. He
had just finished making his dinner and was getting ready to watch his favorite Olympic event, swimming. He called me into the living room, telling me “Melissa, I’ve been waiting for this to come on.. watch this...!” He was so excited. I didn’t know much about the Olympics nor did I have much interest, however, it made him happy that he shared it with me. It was the middle of the race when he gasped, held his hands to his chest, his eyes got so big, he looked at me and then fell dead weight out of his motorized wheelchair into the floor. It was so traumatizing. Everything began moving in slow motion, as I went into a temporary shock. I called out his name, “Dick!” And when he didn’t answer I jumped up and grabbed the phone... I called 911, spoke with the 911 operator as I followed her directions to turn him over. With blood on my hands, I listened for his breath. Nothing. By this time the paramedics got there and attempted to revive him. My parents flew downstairs to get me. We followed the paramedics to the hospital and waited in the waiting room for the doctor, who told us that he had, had a massive heart attack and died instantly. This was absolutely traumatizing for me at 15, however, months earlier... Dick had confided in me (and this brings me to tears now saying this) that one dying wish he had because he lives alone, was that he hoped that someone would be with him when he died. He did not want to die alone. I thanked the heavens above numerous times following that I was with him that evening! R.I.P. my beloved friend Dick Glass.

GingeR Lox

Hi Melissa,

That's so awful. It's hard to watch others you know die, especially when you're young and full of life, energy, health and vigor and have a whole life ahead of you. I'm sorry to hear about this and sorry you went through this. Hugs :hug:

I knew Dick Glass in the early 80s in Los Angeles when I worked at AOLA and I was on an auditor training course with him at ASHO that I took as a Sea Org member (I think it was "The New Era Dianetics" (Class V) course). I twinned with him (paired up to drill each other) for a while. As a fellow student and a twin, he was a really nice guy. I saw him around ASHO back then and never heard much about him afterward.

Thank you for looking after him when he was having such a tough time. You sound like a good-hearted woman and it's nice to have you join us here. Is there anything more you can tell us about Dick Glass?

What about you? Were you ever in Scientology, Melissa? What was it like for you?

Hi Just Sheila,

Thank you for your kind words. We bonded because I was very mature for my age and we
both shared a love for music and writing. I had begun writing song lyrics at 11 and Dick would allow me to share my lyrics and ideas with him. We would brainstorm. He would tell me stories of his music career and his life and would play some of his records for me. I fell in love with, “you can’t stop tomorrow” so he gave me his 45. I still have it somewhere in storage. I requested that be played at the opening of his service, and that it was. He was alive, and caring, patient and kind, so funny and loved to tell stories. He also seemed to have a solice and private side as well and I never wanted to pry. However, I was intrigued by him. He talked to me about his diabetes and my weight (as I have battled my weight my entire life and still do) and he showed he where his candy stash was in his bedroom nightstand in the event his sugar got really low, I would have to grab the candy fast. He was writing or putting something together that involves Marketing, however I’m not too sure what the entailed. As more memories come to mind, I will surely post!

GingeR Lox

Just Sheila,

I have never been a Scientologist, and truthfully, I can’t really recall us discussing that he was a Scientologist. He may have but it’s not fresh in my mind. It became clear and known after his death when his service was announced, which my parents and I attended.

Miss Ellie

Miss Ellie
Thank you for caring and being his friend after all these years. Being there when he died as an adult that would be hard - as a child that must have been a nightmare.

The few of days I was around him I enjoyed. I think he needed lots of love and admiration as we all do. I wish he had lived longer and found more commercial success in music. Medical knowledge we have today would have helped him so much.

I am glad he is remembered...

Cherub

Back from the Dead
Hi All
I saw this thread some weeks ago, but had to go out of town. Yes, Dick died on July 30, 1992. His service was held a few days later with many of his old friends giving speeches, including Heber. Disk's wonderful "You can't stop Tommorrow" was played over and over and all had a tear in their eyes. Eulogies etc etc. The Eloquent Elephant, indeed! I'd met him at CC in 1972 or so, through Yvonne Gilliam.

I also knew DG very well for the past few years prior to his passing, was hanging with him right up to his end and inherited some of his records and heard that some of his short stories were around which the executor promised to publish but which of course never happened. Would be interesting to pull everything out, I still have the full recording of the Funeral service, should anyone actually be interested (in the Service, not who I am :) )

He left no children he knew about <lol>. He last was doing marketing via the computer and as usual helping everyone he could. He'd not left Church but was very unhappy at his treatment of being offloaded because of the diabetes / amputation occuring as a result of never being able to get leave to seek medical help. Fortunately, his old musician's insurance covered incredibly costly bills. He also was very unsatisfied with all his stuff being lost or damaged in SO storage, when he came back to retrieve things. While he was not declared, passed in good standing (else Heber wouldnt have come) he was generally abandoned because of his infirmaty -- after something like 20 years of unconditional service.

I am so sorry, Dick. Yeah, it was no different for Don Breeden who invented the eMeter or for so many of the super faithful but "now-old" SO who were shunted off to old age homes to die completely alone. Way to go, LRH.

Dick was indeed survived by a long lost brother, who'd been separated from him near birth and they'd discovered each other some years earlier.

All in all, he was a real crazy great friend and reading your posts got me real nostalgic and I played Dick's music for a few hours -- I miss him greatly. I will try to find a place to upload for those who wish, to hear his great music.

The Cherub
Hello L & Melissa
I have not posted here in 12 years -- I have no idea why I came though here but was on a whim to look to see if I can help any of my very old friends from the 60s and 70s. I have some of Dick's data stuff & yes I am the one who went through his hard drive to find his Will. I really miss the guy. I am trying to upload his big hit Seattle Sunshine -- but the site will not allow me citing "too big" -- it's only 5K. O well. If someone wants it please pm me and I will try to send it that way. So many of my old friends have died......