What's new

Dick Glass

Aliceinwonderland

Patron with Honors
Does anyone know whatever happened to Dick Glass? He was with Celebrity Center in the early 70's and called himself the Eloquent Elephant. :) Lyn

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
I saw him perform (with acoustic guitar) at the Greek Theater in the 70s.
Yes, he called himself the "eloquent elephant" on stage.
On stage, he also said something like "Ron has never lied to me yet".

I've wondered what happened with him also.

Aliceinwonderland

Patron with Honors
I saw him perform (with acoustic guitar) at the Greek Theater in the 70s.
Yes, he called himself the "eloquent elephant" on stage.
On stage, he also said something like "Ron has never lied to me yet".

I've wondered what happened with him also.

Yea - I knew him personally back in the early 70's. I saw him a last time in the mid 70's. He was supposedly getting married to some young chick. Then I never heard or saw him again.

Through the years, off and on, I've wondered about him. He was quite a character.

I know his weight gave him some major body problems, so I wonder if he even still has that body.

Lyn

rebned

Patron
I have no idea where he is now but your post brought up this memory. It was the late 70's and he came to the Portland Mission to do a show. He had the staff all gather together beforehand. He asked for everyone to give him $5. You have to understand that we were all VERY POOR and $5 was food in our bellies. I didn't even have $5 and borrowed it from someone else. He took all the money put it on a metal chair and lit it on fire and burned it all up!! This was supposed to be a "havingness" drill to get our havingness up so that we could get a lot of money out of the public after his performance. I still haven't quite gotten over that :) I just kept thinking of the food I could buy with that money.......

Wisened One

Crusader
I have no idea where he is now but your post brought up this memory. It was the late 70's and he came to the Portland Mission to do a show. He had the staff all gather together beforehand. He asked for everyone to give him $5. You have to understand that we were all VERY POOR and $5 was food in our bellies. I didn't even have $5 and borrowed it from someone else. He took all the money put it on a metal chair and lit it on fire and burned it all up!! This was supposed to be a "havingness" drill to get our havingness up so that we could get a lot of money out of the public after his performance. I still haven't quite gotten over that :) I just kept thinking of the food I could buy with that money.......

:no: Sad. Yeah, that five dollars bought us valuable food as Staff, too....and here he thought he was trying to teach ya'll a lesson....:no:

God, I'm sooooo glad to be working REAL jobs and getting paid REAL, livable amounts of money, now! :happydance:

Aliceinwonderland

Patron with Honors

I "did" say he was "quite" a character :wink2:

I don't suppose the drill worked - :eyeroll:

On one hand he could be quite aesthetic, but on the other, he could be quite "by the book" (robotic). I knew him when he had just finished OT III and since he was so into Scn at that time, when I left, he had to disconnect from me, per policy at that time. He loved Scn more than anyone or anything when I knew him. However, if you played in "his" game, he'd be right there for ya.

Its as if he disappeared into the ethers or something.

Verrry strange.

L:confused2:

ThisIsIt

Patron with Honors
I also enjoyed Dick Glass in the 70's :clap:

A good friend of mine (very reliable source) told me that Dick Glass did die several years ago. He read it in news story, and since I have not heard about him for years I figure it is the case.

:bigcry:

ThisIsIt

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
At the 70s performance at the Greek Theater, where the Eloquent Elephant performed, there was also Rockin' Horse (SCN rock band).

Did these guys split up and/or leave SCN? Just curious.

Aliceinwonderland

Patron with Honors

A good friend of mine (very reliable source) told me that Dick Glass did die several years ago. He read it in news story, and since I have not heard about him for years I figure it is the case.

ThisIsIt

That seems to indicate to me

I guess he would have been somewhere in his 60's? I was 22 or 23 and I think he was around 36, when I knew him in the 70's. That's kinda young to die these days. But he really taxed his body. I'm sorry to hear it though because he had a wonderful talent.

:touched:

Lyn

outlawgal

Patron
oh my, dick glass

Like others on this thread, I remember Dick from the early '70s. He never tried to run his burn-the-money havingness process on me! I remember him as more of a sweet hippie boy who'd made his art work for him as one of us scilons. he wasn't a robot when i knew him. hadn't done ot iii. he was just an eloquent elephant. thank you for reviving memories of him.

wow, what a puzzle our lives become after we leave that church! i'm glad for this board, so people who might *want* to know what happened to me, well they'll have a chance of finding out.

Bless yer elephantine heart, Dick, wherever you are. Thanks for the fun you brought us, and here's hoping you're having even more fun now. :cheers2:

xo

kate

Aliceinwonderland

Patron with Honors

ThisIsIt

Can you still get in touch with your "source"? Maybe they know where or what news they read it in. I wonder if there is some type of obituary on-line. L

ThisIsIt

Patron with Honors
Can you still get in touch with your "source"? Maybe they know where or what news they read it in. I wonder if there is some type of obituary on-line. L

I already grilled him on that. No results, but I had this conversation several years ago with him as well. He says he is sure.

:sadsigh:

ThisIsIt

rebned

Patron
Bummer :sad: I wonder whatever happened to his music. He made an album, I believe, didn't he?

L

Yes, he did have an album. I also remember at the beginning of a performance him telling us he was going to play an ancient chinese song called, Tu Ning and he then tuned his guitar. I thought it was pretty funny at the time.

I recall reading of Dick's death when I lived in Portland. This was in the late 80s or early 90s. I believe he was a DJ at a radio station in Lake Oswego at the time. I don't think he ever lost the weight and he was really big. It was a heart attack.

I remember meeting him once at the Boulder Mission in the mid 70s. He was a funny guy. (Funny in a good way!)

Aliceinwonderland

Patron with Honors
I recall reading of Dick's death when I lived in Portland. This was in the late 80s or early 90s. I believe he was a DJ at a radio station in Lake Oswego at the time. I don't think he ever lost the weight and he was really big. It was a heart attack.

I remember meeting him once at the Boulder Mission in the mid 70s. He was a funny guy. (Funny in a good way!)

Wow - that long ago. Yea, he had told me that if he didn't lose the weight a doctor had told him that he could die of a heart attack. It wouldn't surprise me if he had diabetes or something like that.

He'd have made a "cool" DJ!

Thanks for more detail on that.

Yes, he had a wonderful sense of humor and a fun way about him. Good memories for me :) , except when he had to disconnect because I was in "Treason" by the CofS.

Lyn

riptide

Patron with Honors
The Elephant man

sorry to hear about Dick, I crossed paths with him in the music arena back in the early 80's and I'm not surprised he did not survive, due to his weight. There were all sorts of interesting characters back in that time period at CCI when the music showcase was going on.

xwc

Patron with Honors
That's a shame if he did pass on. He played at CoSMoD (Mission of Davis) in the early 70's. I think it was BackPocket (an scn duet) who opened for him, and Heber Jensch was the MC. He did a nice versions of Loggins and Messina's "Danny's Song" and Hoyt Axton's "Never Been to Spain", both with a few SCN twists to them. These were also on his Eloquent Elephant album. Don't have my copy any more. He also claimed to be the inspiration for Donovan's "Hurdy Gurdy Man"

Lynn Fountain Campbell

Silver Meritorious Patron
Wow - that long ago. Yea, he had told me that if he didn't lose the weight a doctor had told him that he could die of a heart attack. It wouldn't surprise me if he had diabetes or something like that.

Lyn

He did have diabetes. Used to get his hair cut at Shear Perfection in the late '80's. (Had gotten one of his feet amputated by then.) He was a sweet guy. :bigcry:

Lynn