What's new

Dictionaries - still an essential part of life for you ?

rich

Silver Meritorious Patron
Yes ,I admit, I still use a dictionary--and study tech. I consider them both to be life saving tools.
One good thing though, I use them better And with more self determinism now that I am out. I really almost got caved in by that "golden" age of tech.

NoName

A Girl Has No Name
Looking up words is useful and I can see the point of empowering people by telling them they can look up words they don't know in a dictionary rather than sitting around confused. Public schools aren't always great at telling kids that this is an option, and just confuse the hell out of them. I use dictionaries all the time, but not to the exclusion of other things like context of the word.

The problem with word clearing is that looking up words is taken to a ridiculous extreme, and you aren't allowed to infer meaning from context in the cases of words that could be getting used in different ways. It's taken to such a ridiculous extreme that the dictionary becomes a form of thought stopping rather than empowerment.

Don't even get me started on the use of the Dianetics and Scientology Technical Dictionary - you don't even get to use a reputable dictionary. Just something where the fatso has substituted word meanings - in other words, two layers of thought stopping.

clamicide

Gold Meritorious Patron
Looking up words is useful and I can see the point of empowering people by telling them they can look up words they don't know in a dictionary rather than sitting around confused. Public schools aren't always great at telling kids that this is an option, and just confuse the hell out of them. I use dictionaries all the time, but not to the exclusion of other things like context of the word.

The problem with word clearing is that looking up words is taken to a ridiculous extreme, and you aren't allowed to infer meaning from context in the cases of words that could be getting used in different ways. It's taken to such a ridiculous extreme that the dictionary becomes a form of thought stopping rather than empowerment.

Don't even get me started on the use of the Dianetics and Scientology Technical Dictionary - you don't even get to use a reputable dictionary. Just something where the fatso has substituted word meanings - in other words, two layers of thought stopping.

oh hells... looking stuff up in the Tech Dic? That sucked, but I swear, nothing compared to going down a word chain in the Admin Dic.

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
I use on line dictionaries, they take up less shelf space. Saying that I only use them rarely. Last time was because I was getting pissed off with people on a blog complaining that the UK government was redefining the word marriage in context of same sex marriages. I found the relevant definition and posted it, can't remember the exactness but something about mixing together two different elements like jazz and funk. Grasping the fundamental meaning of a word does help understanding. The trouble with wordclearing is a need for autistic exactness of meaning not basic concept, words are not cages, they are quite nebulous but the concept is key.

I also found studying in the afternoon awful, I would often fall asleep. This was due to low blood sugar and lack of sleep, and hugely because I hated being there, nothing to do with the long chains of not understood words. I could spend weeks and get no further than a few policy letters. I just had no interest in the subject, the one barrier to study that never gets picked up on! If it had I'd have been out the door and never to return on first reading of KSW.

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron
I still use the 1961 dictionary bought for my schooling. It even has the correct pronunciation for g-a-l a-x-y . Does that make me a pre-tekie?

A.K. Myers

Patron with Honors
I still keep a dictionary around. Why? Because my spelling is
so atrocious that even having a built in spell checker is totally
useless. It is faster to look it up than to continue typing variant
spellings in the hope of making the red underline go away.

:coolwink:

Auditor's Toad

Clear as Mud
Seems there are as many ways to skin a cat as there are cat skinners.

I hereby pronouce that ( for myself ) as " Standard " !

auntpat

Patron with Honors
My mother was a country school teacher and I used a dictionary from the time I started reading. I seldom use one these days. I don't know if it is because I know them all, or if I just don.t give a shit.

Love you'all.
Aunt Pat

TG1

Angelic Poster
R2 - you are weird.

And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Seriously, you're so unlinear. Oblique. Contrarian. Unpredictable. Interesting.

T'anks.

TG1

Boojuum

Silver Meritorious Patron
Dictionary use from Scientology's comm course dramatically changed my life for the better.

I was a dictionary nut for years.

Nowadays, I only look up a few words a week and read a great deal but don't pass many non-understood words.

I have to learn/understand many technical pieces at work and I've found word clearing only partially effective. It's helpful to hear the terms in use and see the terms in use. I need to use the terms repeatedly for me to fully get the meanings. I don't get hung up with understanding every minute piece as it can really slow one down. I can go back and clear up the minutia if I get stuck.

Learning new software is a challenge. History, English, Math all seem easy by comparison.

I've seen "too steep of a gradient" and experienced it but to me it's always passing a point of understanding. Frequently, I have to tell people to stop explaining and go back.

"Lack of mass", yawn. Whatever it takes to clear up a concept.

On line dictionaries work fine for me. However, I've got a wonderful collection of hard covers that I use, nostalgiacly from time to time.

I'm crossword king at work--it's the volumes of readings that does it.

Gadfly

Crusader
My mother was a country school teacher and I used a dictionary from the time I started reading. I seldom use one these days. I don't know if it is because I know them all, or if I just don.t give a shit.

Love you'all.
Aunt Pat

I feel the same way.

I did the Student Hat twice, and also the Primary Rundown (where you first word clear ALL the words in the Student Hat before studying the Student Hat). For me, it was nice to finally get a handle on a good wide range understanding of the meaning of words in the English language (and where they came from).

But, once I did it, well, I was pretty much DONE. Once you know most of the words that are used commonly, what else is there to "clear"?

Now, yes, if I contact a word that I don't know the meaning of, sure, I look it up - almost always ONLINE these days. I sold all my dictionaries on eBay - including my two-volume super-duper Oxford set! :duh:

I never had much of a need to demo or clay demo anything, plus, after completing "fast flow" (PRD, or M4 and Student Hat), such things are/were optional - at the student's discretion. Why demo out something when I could imagine it all in my head - putting it into the physical universe, for me, was just an unnecessary afterthought.

The truth is that I was a very good and fast student before Scientology.

While I did learn something from the idea of "balancing mass with significance", I have taken it out of the Scio-framework, and altered it to some degree (which to me was very helpful). Simply, I took the idea and added to it from the theories of General Semantics, where it is always a good idea to:

Connect mental ideas and notions with careful and honest observations of the specifics of physical or mental reality.

That comes down to connecting "theory" with "practical", or significance with mass - but in ways that I found largely useless from Hubbard and which only grew validity as I ALTERED and ADDED TO what I first contacted in Scientology. It comes down to connecting THOUGHT (ideas, concepts) with OBSERVATIONS of the relevant realities.

In truth, there is very little of any Scientology Study Tech that I use in my life. I have "advanced" far from that limited and mediocre "understanding" of learning that Hubbard put together.

Of course, it makes sense to understand the meaning of words - but THAT idea is not unique to Scientology.

TG1

Angelic Poster
As a child in elementary school, we were taught by our teachers, as a standard elementary school instruction, to:

1. Look up the definitions in a dictionary of any word you don't know.

2. Use the word in a sentence -- ten times.

3. "Make it your own." This was understood to mean -- use the word and "play with the word" and consider the word in any ways that worked for you that made it a word that was part of your own vocabulary.

Doy!

TG1

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
I went to Catholic school, and they gave us dictionaries and (expected us to use them) long before I ever heard of Scn. In fact, I think it was before LRH got into dictionaries.

Gib

Crusader
I went to Catholic school, and they gave us dictionaries and (expected us to use them) long before I ever heard of Scn. In fact, I think it was before LRH got into dictionaries.

just before scientology, I worked for a fairly large company, I think 500 people. In the department I worked in which was composed of many desks in an open space. We had a podium on the side with a big dictionary on it. All my co-workers & I were always going to the dictionary to look up words. The company was founded in 1903 or something like that.

Thank god it wasn't a WISE Company. :laugh: Otherwise we'd be doing fuk'in clay demo's all day long. :roflmao:

Moosejewels

Patron Meritorious
Yep, I still use the hell out of dictionaries. Have a whole shelf of them in my library and a dog earred one that travels with me. Unabridged, abridged, but no Bridged. Hard copy, online, whatever I have access to. Been a dictionary freak from before my $cio Student Hat / PRD days. I like 'em ! :biggrin: Scientology could cause you to hate the fuc*ing things if you let it. Their unhealthy psycho obsession with them.

AnonLover

Patron Meritorious
While I agree that dictionaries are a useful tool that never goes out of fashion. I've always found the Scientology Tech Dictionary to be an abomination of loaded language and twisted meanings to the point it's almost a freak show. Studying it is like peering into the shallow depths of Hubbard's warped brain and being forced fed castor oil while being told it's ambrosia.

This sentiment bugged me to such an extent, I spent a few months dissecting the hell out of it. And I documented my findings on all the troubling discrepancies I see in the Tech Dictionary in the following document that I plan on incorporating (in excerpts) in a larger project at a later date.

Scientology Tech Dictionary Definition Comparisons
http://www.scribd.com/doc/136449275/Scientology-Tech-Dictionary-Definition-Comparisons

YMMV but imo, anybody who twisted the meaning of words that badly had no business whipping people into a frenzy over word-clearing drills. Two wrongs don't make a right, but in this case - it made for one helluva recipe for epic fail. :omg:

anonomog

Gold Meritorious Patron
I love how everyone finds slightly different aspects of language and words precious.

I think I see words as a part of the whole.
Sentence forests populated with tree words. It doesn't really matter if I can see the individual trees as long as the forest makes a beautiful whole picture. It not what a word means as much as what the speaker means.
Breaking off from reading a poem to look up an individual word would take away my joy in the rhythm of it all. Does anyone else feel this way?

uniquemand

Unbeliever
I love how everyone finds slightly different aspects of language and words precious.

I think I see words as a part of the whole.
Sentence forests populated with tree words. It doesn't really matter if I can see the individual trees as long as the forest makes a beautiful whole picture. It not what a word means as much as what the speaker means.
Breaking off from reading a poem to look up an individual word would take away my joy in the rhythm of it all. Does anyone else feel this way?

I only break away from pleasure reading to look up a word if I feel my understanding is impaired. In technical reading, I'm religious about "word-clearing".

Clay demos are something I never do, anymore, though I found them valuable when I have done them. Instead of "demos" I call them what they are: labs. I do labs when I understand something conceptually but need to really experience it or feel it. Actually, without my physics labs, I probably wouldn't remember much of it, and without doing math problems, the theory wouldn't ever have attracted me deeper. To understand something, oftentimes, you have to get your hands dirty.

Auditor's Toad

Clear as Mud
Would appear that as in many others things, many of us see dictionaries one way while others see it another way - while some jump in an out of various camps.

What was the line from that old song - there ain't no right, there ain't no wrong, there's just you & me & we can't agree ?

LOL !

OTBT

Patron Meritorious
Hubbard didn't invent dictionaries, nor did he devise rules for how to use dictionaries effectively.

Excerpt from Virginia Waddy's 1889 textbook, "Elements of Composition and Rhetoric"

98ifcif.png

5KW6iHf.png

You can legally download scans of the entire 432 page book here:

http://archive.org/details/elementsofcompos00waddrich

Direct PDF download (30 MB)

http://archive.org/download/elementsofcompos00waddrich/elementsofcompos00waddrich.pdf