What's new

Did anyone else just get this email from the Whitehouse?

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
I just got this in my inbox:

Why We Can't Comment on this Petition about the Church of Scientology

Thank you for signing the petition "EXAMINE THE GOVERNMENT'S FAILURE TO INVESTIGATE AND PROSECUTE CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGY CRIME, FRAUD AND ABUSE." We appreciate your participation in the We the People platform on WhiteHouse.gov.

The We the People Terms of Participation explain that "the White House may decline to address certain procurement, law enforcement, adjudicatory, or similar matters properly within the jurisdiction of federal departments or agencies, federal courts, or state and local government." The Department of Justice is charged with investigating federal crimes and enforcing federal criminal laws. Accordingly, the White House declines to comment on the specific law enforcement matter raised in this petition.

Check out this response on We the People.

NCSP

Patron Meritorious
I did too. This is what I wrote on WWP:

Disappointing, yes, but not entirely unexpected. At least we forced them to look at it; some staffer or official in the executive branch may know about the issue now who didn't before. And the response is pretty ambiguous; it's the same one they would give if there was stuff happening under the radar.

Anyway, there's too much good stuff happening otherwise to get really upset about it.

c-orgy

Patron with Honors
Hopefully that means the invest is still ongoing

Yup. I just got it too. On the bright side, it is standard practice for anyone in the govt to not comment on something if there is an ongoing investigation.

I'd hope that the issue was at least 'looked into' given the amount of time between the end of the petition and the issuance of a response.

Interesting that this was released at 6 pm on a Friday, usually the time that something is released when the govt does not want the story to become part of the 'news cycle'. Unless it is really hot, people will forget about it by Monday.

Again if there is still an investigation, I think the govt would do its best to downplay the whole thing and keep it out of the press for now.

Maybe I'm just being optimistic...

It sounds like a carefully worded "we can't comment on an ongoing investigation" kind of statement to me. :)

But then, I'm a perennial optimist! :happydance:

The petition did get some media social media and internet attention, tho! That's all good!

Karen#1

Gold Meritorious Patron
Emma

I think their response can actually be read in 2 different ways.
It is cleverly worded.

It could be interpreted that

1) They will do nothing

OR

2) They are not going to comment on any on-going investigation whether already on going or whether even prodded by the White House

BECAUSE

It is one of those

We cannot confirm or deny......

It really simply goads us into more deliberate action.
6000+ people read and understood the criminality, brutality, atrocity and money rape, the disconnections,
the THUGGERY.

Nobody is just going to get into bed and pull the covers over and forget about it all.
This Petition is only the beginning.

Last edited:

Sindy

Crusader
Yes, I got it...what a white wash.

How about a "Thank you for your participation. Obviously, as a signatory, this issue is important to you. We'd like to explain our response here......yada, yada, yada."

Well, now that I've read other possible interpretations, I am more optimistic.

NCSP

Patron Meritorious
Re: Hopefully that means the invest is still ongoing

Yup. I just got it too. On the bright side, it is standard practice for anyone in the govt to not comment on something if there is an ongoing investigation.

I'd hope that the issue was at least 'looked into' given the amount of time between the end of the petition and the issuance of a response.

Interesting that this was released at 6 pm on a Friday, usually the time that something is released when the govt does not want the story to become part of the 'news cycle'. Unless it is really hot, people will forget about it by Monday.

Again if there is still an investigation, I think the govt would do its best to downplay the whole thing and keep it out of the press for now.

Maybe I'm just being optimistic...

I had the same thought. I'm an optimist too!

namaste

Silver Meritorious Patron
Yes, it is in my inbox too.
I guess maybe we'll have to wait and see.
Maybe Graham can make an educated interpretation of it.

Anyway, we'll get that little bastard one way or another. :wink2:

randomx

Patron with Honors
No. I`m afraid this is bad.

The F.B.I has already told the New Yorker it is doing an investigation.
It never announced that the investigation had been shelved.
Yet we found out it had.

So you see... This is a pure cop out.

As far as being cleverly worded.
That`s what Politics is all about.

Graham did say he had a plan B.

Let`s wait and hear what he has to say.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Until there is confirmation from either the White House or another branch of the government that something is being done to resolve the current state of injustice I believe it is best to assume that nothing is being done.

If we continue to communicate with the government in seek of justice it can only help matters imo.

If we assume that the WH is saying nothing due to an ongoing investigation when there is really nothing going on then we'll be getting nowhere fast.

There are other avenues by which we can communicate directly with the White House (as explained on the White House web site) where we can send letters and/or make phone calls. They've got a whole staff in place just for this purpose.

Or we can instead focus on certain members in the congress who would be able to help us as well.

Being that this is Graham's petition I'll wait until I see what he wants to do as the next step (if anything) before I do anything further.

But even at this point it was not a waste of time. There's now thousands of people more aware of the fact of the FBI Investigation of the cult, the 6000+ who signed the petition and thousands of others who didn't sign, and most importantly, some individuals within the White House itself. :coolwink:

RogerB

Crusader
Yes, I got it. I was going to comment tomorrow morning.

I think Karen#1 is right on this, and she may well be aware of something ongoing I/we are not . . . .

Fact is The White House is "declining to comment." That is of this moment.

Fact is, we might just have stirred up a hornet's nest for them that they may well get excited about acting on . . . there are lessons in history for them . . . the Cof$ thing is too hot a potato to ignore . . . governments can be given major angst for failing to act when Cof$ atrocities, fraud, abuses are brought to its notice.

I suspect they have felt the heat of this thing and have gone into "evaluation mode" . . . . and it would be unwise for them to make any statements at this stage that could be later used/held against them.

Mega Kudos for the gang who created and spearheaded this Petition.

RogerB

jenni with an eye

Silver Meritorious Patron
Emma

I think their response can actually be read in 2 different ways.
It is cleverly worded.

It could be interpreted that

1) They will do nothing

OR

2) They are not going to comment on any on-going investigation whether already on going or whether even prodded by the White House

BECAUSE

It is one of those

We cannot confirm or deny......

I got the email too.

I'm really hoping that it is option 2 :begging:

Purple Rain

Crusader
I got the email too.

I'm really hoping that it is option 2 :begging:

Me too. Sometimes it looks like you've lost something, but just bringing the issue to the attention of the powers that be results in change. For instance, a couple of years ago I put in a human rights complaint against the local and federal education departments, because my daughter's school is the only one in the territory with a demountable library, and it didn't even look like a library on the inside. It was overwhelming when all of their lawyers responded with pages and pages of argument, and I just kind of gave up because life was quite overwhelming anyway at that time. But even though I "lost" the school library was completely renovated and upgraded into a beautiful new resource that the school was thrilled with. Over an informal glass of wine the school principal joked that it should be called the "[Purple] bloody [Rain] Library", and I laughed, but it really made all of the angst worthwhile. Also it resulted in an asbestos inspection of the building, which hadn't been done for years.

So sometimes you can win even when you appear to lose. It wasn't everything I wanted, but it was a wonderful result.

It would be great if wheels were put in motion, even if they can't admit anything publicly. Fingers crossed!

NoName

A Girl Has No Name
Re: This pisses me off.

This is the response I got:

Official White House Response to EXAMINE THE GOVERNMENT’S FAILURE TO INVESTIGATE AND PROSECUTE CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGY CRIME, FRAUD AND ABUSE.
Why We Can't Comment on this Petition about the Church of Scientology

Thank you for signing the petition "EXAMINE THE GOVERNMENT'S FAILURE TO INVESTIGATE AND PROSECUTE CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGY CRIME, FRAUD AND ABUSE." We appreciate your participation in the We the People platform on WhiteHouse.gov.

The We the People Terms of Participation explain that "the White House may decline to address certain procurement, law enforcement, adjudicatory, or similar matters properly within the jurisdiction of federal departments or agencies, federal courts, or state and local government." The Department of Justice is charged with investigating federal crimes and enforcing federal criminal laws. Accordingly, the White House declines to comment on the specific law enforcement matter raised in this petition.

ASSHOLES