Dismissing the early Scn rebels

RandomCat

Patron with Honors
I just hope these recent bannings don't leave ESMB open to the shenanigans of the Gypsy/Jewish banking cabal!!! :melodramatic:

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. Bad me. :blush:

The_Fixer

Class Clown
Re: Petard

:drool:
I hope you have mercy and delete this pic before Udarnik sees this thread! It's practically psychoterror. You know, Sachertorte, Schaumrollen, pastries,... It's not fair... One can link to offensive pictures, no need to shock people who have to deal with inferior living conditions... :nervous:

(If it's any consolation, U., I've had a can of goulash for breakfast and now feel like shit. Hold on to that thought while quietly weeping. I might even send you a mooncaek a la "Marillenknödel" in autumn. But ONLY if we can talk about me participating in some psych drug testing. :lol: )

Udarnik's only going to get upset at that pic because it is missing the vital ingredients.

Stinky Tofu and surströmming.......

Veda

Sponsor
656-1.jpg

Martin Gardner's book summarizes the early mainstream views, which is that Hubbard was an unqualified crank crackpot.

Dianetics was a fad that was crank and crackpot.

Crackpot crap fails.

So, I'd agree with how thus, Scientology fails.

Like the Aesop's fable with the lesson that one cannot make a purse out of a [pig] sow's ear.

Nothing can come of a crank subject.

Hubbard papered over his crank subject (quack therapy/exorcism) with the layout of features that keep a viable number of paying gullible people aboard long enough to find new gullible people, before the wised up members quit.

No OTs, no supersouled people who are Caspar the Ghosts doing good deeds and changing the world!

Yes, it's been failing for 65 years, has billions of dollars, and maybe, what? 5,000 Sea Org slaves? Plus, while failing, it managed to overwhelm (and possibly blackmail) the USA IRS into giving it religious tax exemption.

But isn't it good, while it was failing, that there were people, even in Martin Gardner's time, who were speaking out?

I've no doubt that his book kept some from becoming involved. :)

Churchill

Gold Meritorious Patron
I am sorry he didn't either. The writings of RVY had a big influence on me, as did reading the efforts of so many others of the past. I'm share the effect reading the internet had on me. To this day I will tell people to read, read, read.

Back when I first ventured onto the internet to look at what was there about Scientology, after years of hiding and living in fear, I found so much helpful information, reports from others, testimonies of experiences I could relate to which helped me in ways I can't even describe. I began compiling a list of sites as I came across them, posting it periodically on alt.religion.scientology to share with others, updating it periodically. At one point I veered off into other matters, including Narconon but tried to keep the list up as I went along.

At one point Free to Shine came across it and posted a thread, which is now a sticky thread for new members, and from there, it was edited updated and contributed to for a while. It still in need of links and such as so much has happened and been posted on the internet since, but it's worth reading for those new to the board, to get a look at what was there in the past, what is still available to read, that may be of help or inspiration or understanding of what preceded on the internet .

It was these stories, these people, who inspired me. They are heroes to me for daring to write their stories, despite the potential consequences and during times when it was far more dangerous to speak up. I am forever grateful to them. The information they provided healed me in large part.

Here is the thread. The lists are updated in posts as you read along. Paul aka dulloldfart did a terrific job ordering those listed at the time, and Free To Shine in posting them and checking links with Paul. It's a list that could use more website links to share with newbies and a great place to get some of the background history of those who stepped up in the past to help make things what they are in the present.

Internet Resources on Scientology for newcomers
http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?21499-Internet-Resources-on-Scientology-for-newcomers

This is not about glorifying people. It's about how freedom of speech can make a big difference. Those that dared in the past have my respect for doing that.

I remember now having seen that list of resources on ARS - it was like striking gold, because there was so much spamming and trolling back then.

I remember my excitement clicking on the link, and the excruciating moments of waiting for the pages to load.

I literally spent hour upon hour with my 28K, then 56K modem poring over the wealth of information, like a kid in a candy store

Please accept my most heartfelt thanks and sincere gratitude for having put together such a wonderful assemblage of resources;

a signpost for people wanting to have a more correct and honest understanding of Scientology as they made their exit.

I have a question for you, since you have been so visibly out for so long:

With the sole exception of when Anonymous joined the effort, adding it's huge numbers to the cause,

has there ever been a more exciting time to be an ex-Scientologist than right now?

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
I remember now having seen that list of resources on ARS - it was like striking gold, because there was so much spamming and trolling back then.

I remember my excitement clicking on the link, and the excruciating moments of waiting for the pages to load.

I literally spent hour upon hour with my 28K, then 56K modem poring over the wealth of information, like a kid in a candy store

Please accept my most heartfelt thanks and sincere gratitude for having put together such a wonderful assemblage of resources;

a signpost for people wanting to have a more correct and honest understanding of Scientology as they made their exit.

I have a question for you, since you have been so visibly out for so long:

With the sole exception of when Anonymous joined the effort, adding it's huge numbers to the cause,

has there ever been a more exciting time to be an ex-Scientologist than right now?

You are quite welcome! I'm so glad the list was helpful to you. I do hope someday that a scienowiki page is created to list all these sites. Seems like only yesterday that slow modems were all we had!

There have to be over a thousand sites and stories not on the list, and new ones being create every day by those that have left. Maybe when Narconon gets shut down and drained of all it's monies by lawsuits, I'll go back to working on the list full time.

To answer your question:

No, with the exception of when Anonymous joined in the efforts, there has never been a more exciting time like now to be an ex-scientologist!

[video=youtube;E2VCwBzGdPM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2VCwBzGdPM[/video]
First a point of agreement.

'I told you I was trouble' wrote:

"Scientology... its time was always going to come... with or without the rebels of the early days."

Can't help but feel this is a terribly unfair dismissal of the courageous individuals who, during the 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, and 1980s, and later, made a huge difference.

Scientology is a secretive subject and exposing its secrets was very important.

Scientology is also a confusing subject, and analyses of it also were important.

I guess it's necessary to have "been there" during this time period to really understand.

The Internet makes it look easy, but before the Internet it was not easy.

Ask Paulette Cooper and so many others.

They are not irrelevant; they are essential, and I thank them.

This is not an argument thread, and ITYIWT probably didn't mean it the way it sounded, but just for the record, I felt this post needed to be made and, as the thread where it would have been placed was just closed (and I'm glad it was closed), I put it here.

Peace out. :)

I entirely agree with you. With the Internet the gathering of information has become much easier. Trying to get L. Ron's death certificate, or any of the affidavits of people who made sworn statements in the old days would have consumed a lot of time and energy. Retaliation was very severe when the GO was at the summit. They could get away with almost everything.

Churchill

Gold Meritorious Patron
656-1.jpg

Yes, it's been failing for 65 years, has billions of dollars, and maybe, what? 5,000 Sea Org slaves? Plus, while failing, it managed to overwhelm (and possibly blackmail) the USA IRS into giving it religious tax exemption.

But isn't it good, while it was failing, that there were people, even in Martin Gardner's time, who were speaking out?

I've no doubt that his book kept some from becoming involved. :)

Excellent point.

Despite the well deserved and long overdue battering it is getting, Scientology is tenacious,

and we should not count our chickens too early.