What's new

Dissapearing Dianetics? It's more likley than you think!

ScudMuffin

Silver Meritorious Patron
Yeah, looks like BrumAnons pre-emptive to get Brum libraries to reclassify the basics as fiction was a little too successful.

We need copies of SoS and DMSMH for a pet project which includes ripping the so called modern science to shreds. So, we thought Brum libraries would be a good option, we know they have 7 copies and a DVD of Dianetics, and off we went (yes div 6 girls, that's what we were doing, not spying on you and your tight sweaters and trousers).

So we get there only to find that the copies are all classed as reference and that they only have copies of DMSMH. Not a problem, we can do photocopies and order the books through Waterstones. WRONG! All copies held by Birmingham Libraries (all one big networked system) are archived! This was supposedly because there was not enough room on the shelf. Was it bollocks, there was shit loads of room! So off we trunle to the help desk. "Basically anything with a letter infront of it is archived in the particular library it is held at" said the assistant, "if you like you can fill out a request form and I can send someone to fetch them for you." So I did. I waited about ten minutes. Then another assistant came back ."I'm afraid that the copies seem to have dissappeared" he said, "They were on the shelf but no-one took them out, so they were archived. I have seen both copies but now they're gone."

Hmmm...we did have a contact in Brum Libraries. We pointed out the lack of references, the psudoscience, the cult. She archived and then abandoned one copy in her branch to the good old £1 ex stock pile. Now it seems they have all been archived and a further two have disappeared. Just when we need them. We can request two from another source...I can check the rest of the libraries for request to send the copies to brum so I can go through them tommorow. In all, we seem to have done too well for our own good.

CRAP! :duh:

gomorrhan

Gold Meritorious Patron
I'm not sure why they are needed for shredding. There's a lot of fiction out there: do we shred it all?

ScudMuffin

No we're doing a talk and we're literally going to take the info and rip it to shred, not rip the books to shreds.

gomorrhan

Gold Meritorious Patron
Oh, well you can find plenty of those books in second-hand stores. Heck, I might go buy a new copy for giggles.

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
Think '1984' and how embarassing history can be.
Scientology has a *long* history of destroying library books.

Zinj

gomorrhan

Gold Meritorious Patron
You can find all of the scientology books online, for free, in pdf. Or so little birds always tell me.

Pitbull

Patron with Honors
The Brits just love their shreds . . .

pl_24_detail_1.png

ScudMuffin

That's why I have him on the ignore list.

Yeah, off out to see if I can request the books. And maybe oreder a couple. And get some new glasses.

ScudMuffin

Not only did I get a copy of DMSMH from the library, they found me a copy of the fundementals of thought. I have both mailing cards out of them so funny suggestions as to what to put on them/mail them with are being accepted.

To date Dianetics is the only book I have found which requires a chapter called "how to read this book" for the "intelligent layman". And of course it has it's own glossary for all the tems that L.Ron made up.

gomorrhan

Gold Meritorious Patron
I'm not sure that the book "requires" that section, but it certainly has it in all editions since Hubbard instituted the tech on "misunderstood words" being the cause of failure in application. Glossaries are not uncommon. DMSMH was a watershed, for me, though I probably would have been better served to simply read Korzybski's "Science and Sanity". If you want a complete understanding of the subject, follow that up with "Science of Survival", which I still find of value.

ScudMuffin

We're trying to get hold of a copy. Still laughing at the reactive mind section, the subject of which apparently causes Neurosis and Asthma.

gomorrhan

Gold Meritorious Patron
I can understand incredulity. Question: do you believe that effects on the body can be created by the mind (do you believe that stress has a negative impact on health)?

ScudMuffin

I can understand incredulity. Question: do you believe that effects on the body can be created by the mind (do you believe that stress has a negative impact on health)?

To a certain extent. But asthma and angina (classed under coronary trouble, along with Coronary Heart Disease, which it self covers a range of things)? C'mon. That's pushing the boat a little too far. Oh, that's on page 65 of the 2007 printing.

gomorrhan

Gold Meritorious Patron
No doubt Hubbard pushes it too far. I do think that hypnotic suggestion is responsible for a great deal of the illness afflicting Americans, either directly or indirectly, and that auditing can address this stuff, and alleviate it. I don't make specific claims, because every case is different, and first a determination would have to be made that the asthma didn't have a physical correlate, although I think concurrent medical and psychological work are intelligent address of most things people consider strictly medical problems, or strictly psychological problems. Wholism.