What's new

"District Auditors" in the UK

RolandRB

Rest in Peace
I received the following email from the Audit Commission for England. It is useful because they point out that each local authority has a District Auditor that oversees their operations and that mistakenly granting business rates relief to a cult can be reported to this District Auditor. So I phoned up the DA's office for both City of Westminster and City of London where it seems the local authorities are granting business rates relief illegally (as explained in the document you can link to in my sig). They are both on holiday at the moment so we will have to wait to see what happens. My own feeling is that both District Auditors will act to stop this. And with having to pay 300,000 GBP per year in business rates for the London Ideal Org then hopefully it will see a change in ownership as I don't see them being able to fund this.

Dear Mr Rashleigh-Berry,

Thank you for your email.

If you have concerns about your local council applying business rates and you believe they are breaking the law in some way, then you should approach the appointed auditor for the council concerned. The appointed auditor is appointed by the Audit Commission and is independent of both the Commission and the council being audited.

You can find out who your appointed auditor is by going to our website - www.audit-commission.gov.uk - and using the 'Find an organisation' search box. Just type in the council's name and you will be given the name and telephone number of the auditor.

I hope this information helps. If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely,

Xxx Xxxxxx
Public Enquiries Officer
part of the Chief Executive’s office

Audit Commission
Westward House
Lime Kiln Close
Stoke Gifford
Bristol
BS34 8SR

T: 0844 798 3131
E: [email protected]
W: www.audit-commission.gov.uk

For Freedom of Information (FoI) requests please email [email protected]

RolandRB

Rest in Peace
Good work Roland! :thumbsup:

Thanks. I see this working this time at long last. I'm so sure of it that I will be celebrating this weekend. The cult will still be here but paying full business rates. At least they will be contributing to society through this instead of being purely parasitic.

I have other actions in the pipeline as well as this.

RolandRB

Rest in Peace
:thumbsup: Keep up the good work, Roland!

All the work is done and it's a case of waiting at the moment. The District Auditors are both on holiday so I am not expecting them to look at my document before early September. They will have to check with their legal team and this will take until the end of October. They will contact the local authorities in early November and the rates relief will be removed from January 1st if all goes according to plan. This should make the news if it happens so expect some sort of announcement in mid December 2010.

I have personally taken care of the City of Westminster and the City of London due to their importance. I want to be directly responsible for my document (you can link to in my sig) for any questions they might have.

If they lose their mandatory rates relief in these two important boroughs, as I think they will, this will cause shock waves that will dislodge any rates relief elsewhere. It will just be a case of mopping up.

I have a couple more initiatives in progress - one with the Companies Investigations Board and one with the HMR&C. These have gone dead quiet which is a good sign as I am sure they would not tell me anything if they were actively investigating. Again, I am expecting something to happen with one of these at least in mid December 2010.

So it's a case of sitting comfortably and munching on the popcorn. I am looking for the popcorn smiley right now. :drama:

Last edited:

Kookaburra

Gold Meritorious Patron
Roland, don't forget that the CoS UK has had tax free status ONLY because it was banking all it's money in a COSRECI account and telling the UK gov't that it was an Australian charity. Well it is NOT an Australian charity, so they actually defrauded the UK gov't of about 10 years taxes. This applies to all orgs in the UK except HAPI. Don't forget to mention this to the auditors. :wink2:

RolandRB

Rest in Peace
Roland, don't forget that the CoS UK has had tax free status ONLY because it was banking all it's money in a COSRECI account and telling the UK gov't that it was an Australian charity. Well it is NOT an Australian charity, so they actually defrauded the UK gov't of about 10 years taxes. This applies to all orgs in the UK except HAPI. Don't forget to mention this to the auditors. :wink2:

Please be assured that HMR&C has been informed as to the true situation quite separately to this issue.