What's new

DM kinda follows our suggestions

But the scientific process is similar to this...
1. Observation: Gathering data through the senses or sensory enhancing technologies.
2. Induction: Drawing general conclusions from the data. Forming hypothesis.
3. Deduction: Making specific predictions from the general conclusions.
4. Verification: Checking the predictions against further observations.

In my "scientific experience" items 3 and 4 are usually achieved by juggling the figures. It worked for Newton, and is still used to this day.

Shsssh! Your giving away "confidential materials" relating to the scientific method. :melodramatic:

Mark A. Baker

Vinaire

Sponsor
Metaphysics is that area of general philosophy which deals with questions relating to the non-tangible or non-phenomenal existence. Questions relating to the truth of ideas and the nature of existence in other than a physical sense are matters that lie within the realm of metaphysics.

Questions relating to those matters traditionally ascribed as "spiritual" lie within the philosophical discipline of metaphysics, but, and this is KEY, the discipline of metaphysics is NOT LIMITED to matters "spiritual" as is mysticism.

Mysticism refers to an experiential spiritual path. The term mysticism is also commonly applied to the esoteric teachings of "revelatory schools" of spirituality. There is little in mysticism itself which is derived from strictly philosophic pursuits.

The topic of scientology lies within the realm of metaphysics not mysticism. It is a practical working philosophy dealing with the existence of intangible ideas and their subsequent expression as a spiritual technology.

Some, especially those who over emphasize the importance of the "advanced levels" and minimize the foundation teachings of scientology, regard it as "yet another mystical religion". But this is a mistaken conception as it discounts the philosophic aspects of the the system & over-emphasizes secondary features of the subject.

Scientology is MUCH more like Mahayana Buddhism, a philosophic metaphysical religious practice, than it is like christianity, a mystic & revelatory religion.

Mark A. Baker

Metaphysics is "beyond physics" or "beyond nature." Physics is direct perception of nature (matter, energy, space and time). Things start to get blurred as one starts looking at ideas, notions, mental pictures, etc., primarily because one is looking from a different viewpoint and no two people have the same viewpoint exactly.

There is a gradual shift form physics toward metaphysics as different viewpoints come into play even when looking at physical phenomenon. Thus, metaphysics has to do more with viewpoints than what is being looked at.

Mysticism comes in when one starts to recognize the play of viewpoints and starts to contemplate where those viewpoints come from, or what is beyond the viewpoints.

Metaphysics is "beyond physics" or "beyond nature."

That is the original meaning from greek. It was first used as a term in greek philosophy to refer to that area of philosophy which treats of intangibles (values, ethics, logic, thought, etc.) as opposed to natural philosophy which treats of things evident in the physical world. It retains this meaning to this day.

Mark A. Baker

Vinaire

Sponsor
That is the original meaning from greek. It was first used as a term in greek philosophy to refer to that area of philosophy which treats of intangibles (values, ethics, logic, thought, etc.) as opposed to natural philosophy which treats of things evident in the physical world. It retains this meaning to this day.

Mark A. Baker

Mysticism is meta-metaphysics. It is meta to the second power. :D

Last edited:

Royal Prince Xenu

Trust the Psi Corps.
Mysticism is meta-metaphysics. It is meta to the second power. :D

Sorry, I disagree. Metaphysics is one of the topics that has been most subjected to the practices of 'mysticism', but as I pointed out, so have medicine, chemistry, physics, the law, and as the huge woollen blanket being pulled over our eyes called "Windows" takes ever stronger hold of the IT market so it is, for older people, rapidly becoming another 'mystified' topic.

Sorry, I disagree. Metaphysics is one of the topics that has been most subjected to the practices of 'mysticism', but as I pointed out, so have medicine, chemistry, physics, the law, and as the huge woollen blanket being pulled over our eyes called "Windows" takes ever stronger hold of the IT market so it is, for older people, rapidly becoming another 'mystified' topic.

Disagree all you want. Nonetheless if take a course in rudimentary philosophy or pull out a copy of Liddle & Scott's Greek-English Lexicon you'll see what the word metaphysic Vin & I are saying.

Metaphysics /= Mysticism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metaphysics

http://pespmc1.vub.ac.be/METAPHYS.html

The popular sense in which others mean the term is an intellectual corruption of the actual meaning.

Mark A. Baker

Royal Prince Xenu

Trust the Psi Corps.
Metaphysics /= Mysticism

Although you disagree, you include a single statement that is exactly what I'm saying.

Metaphysics itself is not mysticism, but most have been taught to assign the label "mysticism" to anything metaphysical, and then fail to see that same label and practice being applied to many other more normal day-to-day topics.

Metaphysics is an excellent subject in its own right, but show something to a dedicated Christian and he will decry it as Satanic. Show it to your average "Wiccan", and you will be shamed for revealing it to the public.

And now the RTC is trying to keep the mystical ropes attached to $cn be seeking to extend Intellectual Property rights over material that we well know is copied from other sources anyway.

It's like Stargate SG-1 trying to claim their own copyright when every major plot point is a plagiarism of well-established public domain folk-lore.

Metaphysics is an excellent subject in its own right, but show something to a dedicated Christian and he will decry it as Satanic. Show it to your average "Wiccan", and you will be shamed for revealing it to the public.

Metaphysics is an outstanding subject. Mysticism is also a valuable practice. :)

Mark A. Baker

GreyLensman

Silver Meritorious Patron
I think any time a "religion" travels the steps from wanting to help and improve lifes to wanting to own and control lives you will have a failure.

I believe that there are higher states to man and I really think auditing was one route to it.

HOWEVER-I had such a bad, creepy, time as a Scientology public that I CANNOT imagine seeing any of it as a improvement. Yeah-we got the ideal org. SO What-you're afraid to go in it. To me the new improved fancy building meant MORE harrassement for $$$$ and staff!!

Maybe the Basics Books are great but calling people 20 times a day to FORCE their sales is disgusting! Print a f***ing glossary and sell it for $20 if you are so worried about making the tech. easier to read.

The whole SO premise is so sick that it's not even worth discussing. It IS SLAVE LABOR whether these people think they're being used or not!

I remember a tape (the Help series) where LRH said "think of someone you really hate. That is someone you tried to help and failed."

I think that says it all about how the "exs" feel!

You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.
–Morpheus in “The Matrix”