What's new

Do Marty and Mike talk to each other?

uncover

Gold Meritorious Patron
Which cult? Scientology? ASC? Or AASC (Anti-Anti-Scientology-Cult)
Good gawd, write like a normal person. ASC & AASC? That's fucking Martyology. Just be normal.
Folks, to avoid MU's...... ahhh..... confusion: AASC means "ADVANCED-Anti-Scientology-Cult" which has nothing to do with the AASR, standing for "Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite of Freemasonry", which can be seen as a cult too. :coolwink:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Rite

skep

Patron with Honors
Marty has gone off the deep end with this attack on Chris Shelton.

https://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2016/09/19/how-gullible-can-one-get/

There are some words in there which involve libel, especially the line, "In either event, it demonstrates that Shelton at best is not playing with a full deck." Methinks Marty views himself too much as knowledgeable in legal matters, and forgets that he no longer has the cover of the church.

Or does he?

oneonewasaracecar

Gold Meritorious Patron
Marty has gone off the deep end with this attack on Chris Shelton.

https://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2016/09/19/how-gullible-can-one-get/

There are some words in there which involve libel, especially the line, "In either event, it demonstrates that Shelton at best is not playing with a full deck." Methinks Marty views himself too much as knowledgeable in legal matters, and forgets that he no longer has the cover of the church.

Or does he?

That is interesting. To my knowledge, Chris Shelton has never commented on Marty Rathbun. I suspect he probably won't. He is a little to classy for that.

Chris Shelton is a very gentle skeptic, and one for whom I have a great deal of respect. He is quite popular on youtube (and growing) and I suspect he has quite an impact on Scientologists and ex Scientologists.

That he is an enemy of the COfS and has not said anything about Marty Rathbun does not speak well for Marty's motives.

Victoria

Patron Meritorious
That is interesting. To my knowledge, Chris Shelton has never commented on Marty Rathbun. I suspect he probably won't. He is a little to classy for that.

Chris Shelton is a very gentle skeptic, and one for whom I have a great deal of respect. He is quite popular on youtube (and growing) and I suspect he has quite an impact on Scientologists and ex Scientologists.

That he is an enemy of the COfS and has not said anything about Marty Rathbun does not speak well for Marty's motives.

I think his last video was all about Marty.
I didn't watch it though, I guess I will now;)
Thanks for the reminder Marty! LOL

Anonycat

Crusader

This is the opening two paragraphs, which I felt, made it so that I didn't need to read further. He offers his summary in the first paragraph.

It came to my attention that some fellow gave a youtube lecture about what he called a conflict between Tony Ortega and me. When I went to the video I saw a man calling himself Chris Shelton ‘critical thinker at large.’ It would be difficult to imagine more inflated airs of self-absorbed arrogance than this fellow manages to put on; nor a mind as infected with hive-mentality.

Mr. Shelton claims in the video not to know anything about what went down behind the scenes in the terminations of Monique Rathbun’s lawyers and lawsuit – delivered with a tongue-in-cheek smirk. But, he comes to the authoritative conclusion that I have somehow overreacted to Ortega’s four-month campaign smearing my wife and me over the issue. He concludes it is a function of the damaged former Scientologist mind – a syndrome he claims to be an expert in.

I was amused by this: "inflated airs of self-absorbed arrogance than this fellow manages to put on; nor a mind as infected with hive-mentality." Because do you know how rude Chris was in the video? He said: "a tongue-in-cheek smirk." Jeez, Marty, lighten-up. Watch any of his videos, he breaks into a smile very frequently. If he had a signature "thing" that he does in his videos, that would be it. Smiling.

The style that he wrote it in, is very hostile and provoking. It makes me feel like he's trying to instill an opinion in the reader. I don't know how to say it other than he's coming off like he's an Opinion Leader. He has his little camp, and he's making it clear how they feel ;-) Of course I mean how Marty feels.

Marty, you're doing it again. You're overreacting.

Last edited:

Churchill

Gold Meritorious Patron
This is the opening two paragraphs, which I felt, made it so that I didn't need to read further. He offers his summary in the first paragraph.

I was amused by this: "inflated airs of self-absorbed arrogance than this fellow manages to put on; nor a mind as infected with hive-mentality." Because do you know how rude Chris was in the video? He said: "a tongue-in-cheek smirk."

The style that he wrote it in, is very hostile and provoking. It makes me feel like he's trying to instill an opinion in the reader. I don't know how to say it other than he's coming off like he's an Opinion Leader. He has his little camp, and he's making it clear how they feel ;-) Of course I mean how Marty feels.

I've decided to not comment on this latest brouhaha (emphasis on haha), at least until Marty can settle on which valence he's most comfortable assuming; Hubbard's or Miscavige's.

It's too confusing otherwise.

I just wish he'd make up what's left of his mind.

PS> Chris Shelton video #75 spends a few minutes giving a factual recitation of events.
I'm sure someone will post the link.

skep

Patron with Honors

And maybe that is what is grinding Marty the most. Here he was on top of the food chain while in $ciCon, and other than appearances in numerous movies or TV commentary, he has found no way to make any money it appears. Shelton on the other hand, has been well accepted not only in the ex-$sciCon community, but what counts even more, outside of it, and Shelton is now starting to be able to monetize his blog, podcast and YouTube content. And only 3 year after the trauma of leaving. Who has the stronger constitution?

Shelton is interesting and not bombastic nor in your face. He utilizes the Socratic method of addressing an issue, which always ends up in a good answer. His factual presentation of issues gives him credibility, unlike the FUD and deflection schtick Rathbun apparently can't get out of his DNA. Shelton has been featured by other skeptics that are well established in the alternative community, whereas my suspicion is that Rathbun has burned those bridges now.

Of course, if the suspicions are correct, and he has made an arrangement with DM and crew, he will not have to worry about funds any longer. But that is speculation, albeit his actions since the "you will rue the day" comment make that speculation seem very likely.

I got a kick out of Rathbun phrasing his opening statements as if he had never heard of Chris Shelton ever before. Out in the part of the country I come from, we consider that a stack of bovine scat. And it just erodes his credibility even more.

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
I wonder what odds the bookmakers had on Chris Shelton being Marty's next object of attack. I had money on Mike Rinder :melodramatic: (I'm sure it's coming).

Anonycat

Crusader
I wonder what odds the bookmakers had on Chris Shelton being Marty's next object of attack. I had money on Mike Rinder :melodramatic: (I'm sure it's coming).

I have a shiny Euro that says you're right. It seemed like he's named his targets.

Udarnik

Gold Meritorious Patron
Please Marty, let Chris be and say something about medical matters. The Purif would be a good place to start. I'll give you a profanity laced logic-spanking that will really be worth reacting to, just for the comedy value of seeing you dig a hole like a demented beagle on a beach.

Anonycat

Crusader
Please Marty, let Chris be and say something about medical matters. The Purif would be a good place to start. I'll give you a profanity laced logic-spanking that will really be worth reacting to, just for the comedy value of seeing you dig a hole like a demented beagle on a beach.

A CALL OUT!! :)

7d64f8f44d1fa8915741ae2be04bf571.jpg

Chris Shelton

Patron with Honors
Hey everyone. Thanks for your support. I will not be responding to Marty's blog as that would be an utter waste of my time, but just to let everyone know what spurred him to write it, I answered a couple of questions in my weekly Q&A show about Marty and Monique's case against Scientology and Marty's recent activities. As you'll see if you watch it, I tried to do this in the most neutral and objective way I could and claimed, quite seriously, that I do not know anything secret or backchannel nor do I have a clue what his actual motives are for doing what he is doing now. There was no smirk or twinkle in my eye when I said this. I was absolutely serious. It's the first question I take up in the video and takes up about the first 15 minutes or so in answering it completely. Just thought this might help clarify and is no effort on my part to stir the pot further. I doubt I'll be commenting on this again. I've got real work to do that involves helping people and exposing Scientology and that takes up plenty of my time already.

Here's the video:
[video=youtube;MKVTyvE0W-Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKVTyvE0W-Q[/video]

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
Sounds like a plan Ems. I wish you luck with it - the problem with arguing with demented loons like VM and the Oracle - even by proxy - is that you run the risk of sounding like them.

As for Marty - well he came to FB and started at rock bottom and has continued to tunnel downwards ever since. As he has nothing to offer to the whole Scientology debate I am surprised he has not gone off to make himself a career in management at McDonalds. He could have been French Fry I/C by now.

Hope you are doing well Ems, have not heard from you in a long while - I get more messages from Kev and he is about as communicative as any wombat in the outback...

Mick! I have also not heard from you. Let's call it even and hug it out :):hug:

I trust you will give me a kick up the arse if I start coming off like a demented loon. I trust you to do that.

Wombats can be quite sweet & affectionate (like Kev!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbbtLAx6ohw

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
You just have a natural twinkle in your eyes Chris, and that is a good thing. :)
I'll be glad when these Marty threads fade away, such a waste of time - "real work to do that involves helping people and exposing Scientology " is the way to go.

Anonycat

Crusader
I'll throw in my two cents, and not about his targets, but the approach.

Let's coin a phrase, and call it The Strategy of Provocation. You'll see it happen in politics, war, and other things which I should not type. I think an example would be best. Let's say that on the other side of the world from where you live, there's a handful of people that want to do you and your type, harm. But the problem is, they don't have an army, it's just a few jerks.

What they do, using this method, is to get their army from their adversary. Have one of the jerks blow something up somewhere in the name of something. There will be a very small percentage who will say to themself: Hell yeah, that's what I believe, and I'm crazy as hell, so I'm with you!

This is exactly how campaigns get followers. Now, in Marty's case, it's maybe 10 people. He's not working everyday within the typical scientology work structure. It makes him look really odd. He's out of his element -- this isn't the Sea Org, where people will ALL fall in line with what you say, and will take it VERY seriously. This is the real world, Marty. People see your words very differently here, and you should leave room for accepting their interpretation of those words. That is you sound -- and I only say this with complete honesty -- you do sound like you're attacking, exploding, and more. Really. It's not Tony Ortega, it's not even Chris. It's you. What you're saying in words looks abnormal to everyone else. That's my point.