Do they or don't they send out books worldwide?

suspiciousperson

Patron with Honors
A few days' worth of correspondence between myself and my council library service. Large, rural county. Some fluff removed, some cunning pseudoinfo added and highlighted in bold. This is at the head library by the way with the person who I'm apparently supposed to contact with this sort of query.

Me said:
Hi,

It's my understanding that one of the cunning scams scientology (loony evil alien cult) plays upon its members is getting them to buy books from it at ludicrous prices which it sends out to every library worldwide - which then annoys the libraries as they are given these useless books no one realistically wants to read, and they have limited space (the cult knows this full well but this is a money making scam, not a genuine information dissemination campaign. er, allegedly).

I am just wondering if this happens to you and if so if you have any scientology books I can have, as I have an amateur interest in cults and would quite like to read their official scripture (for want of a better word) - but there's no way that I'm going to give money to such an evil organisation (plenty of info on what they do online if you're not familiar, but they are well known for splitting up families, harrassment campaigns, and so on). I don't think I'm a member of the library service here but I live in supercooltown and can collect them from supercooltown library, or I can just drive in and pick them up from bigbutstillcooltown library - if you have any that is and haven't already pulped them...

Cheers

Bint said:
Hi

Thanks for your email enquiry. I have just checked our online catalogue and we have this/these book(s):

wellknownscientologybooks[1...n]

Unfortunately you need to live or work in supercoolcounty to borrow books. You can visit your home library and ask if they participate in the inter library loan service, this means they can request the book(s) for you for a fee and we can send it/them to them.

(none of the books were bridge publications stuff which is what I was after)

Me said:
Hi,

Surely supercooltown is in supercoolcounty? (it totally is. it's not even on the edge. no idea why she thought otherwise)

I've read that one/those. Would you be able to check if they do send you books and if so whether it's possible to keep them for me?

Bint said:
Hi

Your nearest library would be rubbishtownthatisalsoinsupercoolcounty so you can certainly request books and they can be sent there, to do this you will need to pop in to the library and join. You will need two forms of ID such as a utility bill, driver license.

You can check our online catalogue here (web addy removed) and when you see a book that suits let the staff know and they will request it for you.

Me said:
Hi,

You are either ignoring or missing the gist of my questions.

Bint said:
Hi

I understand your question but the only book(s) we have is/are the book(s) you say you've read. What is it you want me to do with them?

next email received without my reply

Bint said:
Hi

If their's a specific book that you would like the library to order on Scientiology, we could put it forward for consideration to purchase. You can either email the request or give the request to supercooldude the librarian at randomsillyplace. But like I said the only books we have are the ones I mentioned in a further email.

Me said:
Hi,

I am not asking you to *order* anything. I am after the books that the cult sends the library service unsolicited. Or are you saying that they do not send you books? If so that could be quite fun cause as I sad earlier they scam their members for millions of dollars saying they send out books to every library in, basically, the world - and that definitely includes the UK. It would be great if you could find out one way or another.

TBH I am probably just communicating with an idiot. But it seems unlikely to me that someone who works at a library is an idiot... or at the very least they should understand English, even mine which is usually written when I am shattered or intoxicated.

I have never ever met a stupid person who works at a library though. Ever.

And that's why I say this:

Is this potentially interesting in the sense that it may show that they aren't even trying to send out books to UK library services... or is it well known that they don't actually send out books (assuming that they don't)? I know that very few of the books are accepted but that is a different thing, and I had the sense that they were notorious with USA librarians for giving them books they have to give or throw away, so you would think this person would have a clue about them if something similar were happening here. I dunno.

rich

Silver Meritorious Patron
It looks to me like suppercool librarian is skimming your email very quickly to process it and get rid of it and does not care to really communicate or understand you. She probably is not stupid, but over loaded with email.

suspiciousperson

Patron with Honors
Looks like yer on the money, rich (heh):

I have spoken to the librarian and she said she was sent a large box of books a while back, as we don't stock them, they were given away, hence the fact I couldn't find any on our catalogue. She said if she gets any more she will contact you, and you can have them. We never paid a fee for them, they just wanted us to put them on the shelves for people to read.

ah well...