What's new

Does CoS track family members?

BC1

Patron with Honors
How closely does the church really track family relations? We have some family still in as both Sea Org and public, but we obviously aren't in CoS. They know that we are not part of the church, but we don't complain to them about the church. Will it eventually make it back to our family that we keep telling everyone that calls to take us off their lists, stop sending mail etc? How do they know who is related to whom? I've heard so many stories of family being told to disconnect and I'm a little nervous that eventually our family will be told to disconnect because we've repeatedly told the people that call to get lost (sometimes not so politely). How strong of a stance does someone need to take before this line is crossed?

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
For the most part, unless you're being publicly 'anti' to the 'Church' nothing will happen. There are exceptions, such as being 'connected' to more vocal antis. There's no hard and fast rule because Scientology is arbitrary.

Zinj

Don't be scared!

Hi BC1, I'm no expert but you say you are not in the church, depending on how "distant" the family members who are in are, chances are good that it is not going to be an issue for you ever, unless you legally sue the COS or make trouble for them in other ways, like writing a book or publishing negative publicity about them.

The disconnect threaten is usually used on immediate family members, spouses, parents/children, siblings, etc. It only works if the family members agree to abide by it. It is a reason why many have left the church, rather than disconnect from a loved one, so it's a policy that backfires on the COS in many cases.

Feel free to pm me if you would like to talk about this in private. :)

Keep telling them that you are not interested, treat them just like telemarketers! If they don't stop the calls, report them to whatever local authorities handle harrassing sales calls in your area.

Don't be intimidated by them. Stay in good communication with your family members if you can.

If you read around here you will see other folks stories of how they got harrassing phone calls to stop, some clever and some humerous. Good luck! :)

For the most part, unless you're being publicly 'anti' to the 'Church' nothing will happen. There are exceptions, such as being 'connected' to more vocal antis. There's no hard and fast rule because Scientology is arbitrary.

Zinj

There is no had and fast set rule, but it is somewhat proportional to the member's net worth, or potential cash they believe they can suck out of the member.

everfree

Patron Meritorious
How closely does the church really track family relations? We have some family still in as both Sea Org and public, but we obviously aren't in CoS. They know that we are not part of the church, but we don't complain to them about the church. Will it eventually make it back to our family that we keep telling everyone that calls to take us off their lists, stop sending mail etc? How do they know who is related to whom? I've heard so many stories of family being told to disconnect and I'm a little nervous that eventually our family will be told to disconnect because we've repeatedly told the people that call to get lost (sometimes not so politely). How strong of a stance does someone need to take before this line is crossed?

If your family is in the Sea Org, they would have filled out a "life history" form that includes every aspect of their lives including you as a family member so someone somewhere may be aware of your family connections.

Right now however, they are most likely way to busy putting out other fires to much worry about someone who just doesn't want to be called so you're probably safe. As Zinj says, it's arbitrary.

You just want to avoid pissing off the wrong person who has access to those life history forms and has enough time on their hands to make trouble for you. Of course there's no way of knowing who that may be.

scientrollogy

Patron with Honors
afaik, communication lined between Sea Org and their family members is strictly monitored. letter get opened and verified SP free before the Sea Org person sees that there is a letter there, let alone gets to read it.

Phone communications are listened into. by a "Master at Arms (sea org ethics office) again to check for PTS's

Then there's the incidious use of e-meter led interrogations, which form part of a "trap" - interviewing a sea org person, with pre knowledge that they have heard some PTS words down the phone or anything.

If the OSA manages to find your identity from your posts on here, there's a stack of Disconnects in the post to you, along with that nasty CD "can we ever be friends"

Stay Anonymous, don't say even the slightest thing to the victims - and you should be ok

Ladybird

Silver Meritorious Patron
If your family is in the Sea Org, they would have filled out a "life history" form that includes every aspect of their lives including you as a family member so someone somewhere may be aware of your family connections.

The "Life History" also includes questions about every friend you ever had and their and their families names and addresses and every single thing you can remember about every one you ever knew. Then you get put on a meter and "sec-checked" to make sure you didn't leave any one or any thing out.

Our extended family and old friends have recently been deluged with promo. We have been out for years, and the only way the cult could have found the names and addresses are from our "Life History" forms.

Our 89 year old dad was furious that promo was sent to his beloved wife who died 18 years ago. He was so angry and hurt that tears came from his eyes and his fists were curled. Our other relatives were embarrassed that the mailman was delivering this cult crap in their mailbox. Old friends and distant relatives have also called and wondered.

Since when does the cult send invitations and promo to the family of declared SPs?

It has to be a stat push, the cults addresso must be bare and so they are trying to get their stats up by culling members "Life History" forms????

Now they are calling and writing the families of EXes?

BAD move OSA...you are making the people who already were disgusted with scientology remember why and look again and find out what depths the cult has sunk to.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Sounds like a great scoop for some journalist, Ladybird. I don't mean that in an unkind way, but you gotta admit it's pretty damn crazy as well as being hugely off-policy.

Paul

BC1

Patron with Honors
Thanks everyone for all the advice, I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed. The CoS members are immediate family (mother & sister) of my spouse, which is why I wonder if they will ever make the connection with us. I've never been in, but my spouse was briefly in many, many years ago. In the last year or so they've dug up our address, despite several moves through various states between when my spouse last was in and now, CREEPY. I think they've already sucked all money out of the public relative and the SO one doesn't have two cents anyway because they have been in the SO since they were very young, so I doubt they have a high monetary value to the church. The one in the SO I think might be fairly high in the organization in CW, which is part of my concern. But I really have know definite way to know their post as we almost never discuss anything related to Scientology and I don't think that they are 100% honest with us about what their job is anyway. This is probably all way more info than any of you cared for, so I'll stop writing before I get all worked up about CoS and how they irritate me.

KnightVision

Gold Meritorious Patron
COS tracks are inevitable. Encourage them. Catch them. Prosecute them. Punish them. It called justice.

Royal Prince Xenu

Trust the Psi Corps.
afaik, communication lined between Sea Org and their family members is strictly monitored. letter get opened and verified SP free before the Sea Org person sees that there is a letter there, let alone gets to read it.

Phone communications are listened into. by a "Master at Arms (sea org ethics office) again to check for PTS's

Then there's the incidious use of e-meter led interrogations, which form part of a "trap" - interviewing a sea org person, with pre knowledge that they have heard some PTS words down the phone or anything.

If the OSA manages to find your identity from your posts on here, there's a stack of Disconnects in the post to you, along with that nasty CD "can we ever be friends"

Stay Anonymous, don't say even the slightest thing to the victims - and you should be ok

In my org (Class IV) there was no deliberate phone call monitoring but, yes, I know that mail was always opened and checked before it went to the addressee.

The "Life History" also includes questions about every friend you ever had and their and their families names and addresses and every single thing you can remember about every one you ever knew. Then you get put on a meter and "sec-checked" to make sure you didn't leave any one or any thing out.

Our extended family and old friends have recently been deluged with promo. We have been out for years, and the only way the cult could have found the names and addresses are from our "Life History" forms.

Our 89 year old dad was furious that promo was sent to his beloved wife who died 18 years ago. He was so angry and hurt that tears came from his eyes and his fists were curled. Our other relatives were embarrassed that the mailman was delivering this cult crap in their mailbox. Old friends and distant relatives have also called and wondered.

Since when does the cult send invitations and promo to the family of declared SPs?

It has to be a stat push, the cults addresso must be bare and so they are trying to get their stats up by culling members "Life History" forms????

Now they are calling and writing the families of EXes?

BAD move OSA...you are making the people who already were disgusted with scientology remember why and look again and find out what depths the cult has sunk to.

The only contact was my Grandparents (I was living there when I got involved). It got to the point that anyone ringing and asking for me, she would end up saying "Never heard of him!" I don't remember ever filling out a "Life History".

AngeloV

Gold Meritorious Patron
They find you

Scio is relentless in finding telephone numbers and addresses of previous members of the church (and their family members). I had been out for 27 years, blown from the SO, moved 4 times and still got a phone call from a SO guy that I knew in the Tampa mission trying to sell me some stupid DVD. I told him scio was a crock and never to call me back and if he did it was against the law and I would report him. I did not get angry but just stated the facts. That's about all you can do.

scientrollogy and Ladybird gave you the best advice I think.

British Mom

Patron with Honors

Everyone stopped talking to me, so I realised I must be declared, so went into the Org & asked for my declare, which they gave me. Before I was declared I did resign but never spoke out about the church. Only because my daughter stopped speaking in 2000 that I started to speak out. Last year my ex husband died & he was afaid of the Church, but now he has gone then I really started to speak out, did videos, went to LA, they are all on You Tube under British Mum.

I have moved 4 times in the last two years so if they know where I am, they havent bothered me. One thing I realised with the Church is that they intimidate people & threaten, they try to put fear in people, but I am no longer afraid of them, so they dont come near me.

They used to bother my ex husband, which put alot of stress on him, he died suddenly last year. Scientology has a lot to answer for, the one thing my ex husband wanted before he died was to speak to his daughter, so I continue to fight to stop things like this happening to other people. :thumbsup:

BC1

Patron with Honors
British Mom

I've seen your videos on-line and have read some of your posts. I'm so sorry for you and I hope that your daughter is able to get out soon and you can both reunite again. It makes me so mad that the Church does this to people, it's just not right. I can't imagine what it is like to lose your daughter to this group. I have a daughter as well and it would break my heart if she ever joined Scientology, I plan on doing everything within legal limits to keep her away from the influence.

:bighug:

BC1

British Mom

Patron with Honors
British Mom

I've seen your videos on-line and have read some of your posts. I'm so sorry for you and I hope that your daughter is able to get out soon and you can both reunite again. It makes me so mad that the Church does this to people, it's just not right. I can't imagine what it is like to lose your daughter to this group. I have a daughter as well and it would break my heart if she ever joined Scientology, I plan on doing everything within legal limits to keep her away from the influence.

:bighug:

BC1

Thank you, it has broken my heart to the point I had a heart operation but I survived & I feel the reason I survived was to inform others about the organisation & to warn parents to keep their children out. I am doing great now but will continue the fight to stop this criminal cult from hurting others :thumbsup: