What's new

Dr Gene Denk - L Ron Hubbard's Personal Physician

G

Gottabrain

I was merely making a joke.

To be honest, I don't know if Denk was a true blue Scio or not. There has been discussion on ESMB as to whether Hubbard was one, and the general consensus (which I tend to agree with) was that he was not. Obviously this is not a black and white thing.

Denk obviously doctored for Scios at Shaw's, and was also employed by Hubbard, but I don't know if he got auditing or audited others, or believed Hubbard's books or bulletins or tapes, or thought he was clearing the planet, and all that kind of stuff that scios are supposed to do.

Paul

Oh! I missed your point. Interesting!

Yes, Gene Denk was a Scn. Nearly always just Flag public, though. Here are some of his service completions in Scientology (the ones we could find online)
He was auditing Solo NOTS.
http://www.truthaboutscientology.com/stats/by-name/g/gene-denk.html

Terril park

Sponsor
Thanks, Terril. Yes, you seem to know a lot about alternative medicines and nutrition.

Another thing - though the other illnesses are less common, Korsakoff's syndrome is VERY common. This is neurological damage to the brain caused by a long-term Vit B1 deficiency of chronic heavy alcoholics. But exhaustion is not one of the symptoms and it is rarely completely curable, though some recovery is possible by quitting drinking and Vit B1 therapy for years. It is very bad. MRI's of the brain confirm the damage as well. Lots of in-depth articles available on this beyond Wikipedia.

I am caring for someone with Korsakoff's now. It is no picnic. This man cannot conceptualise problems or solutions, his sight is sometimes completely messed up, he repeats himself often and short term memory comes and goes. His actions are often illogical, dangerous and destructive. But he has good and bad days, too. And he's much better off than many others who end up hospitalised. It is often confused with Alzheimer's. But Alzheimer's is degenerative, Korsakoff's improves after several years off alcohol and vitamin supplements. Alzheimer's only affects memory. Korsakoff's affects the person's ability to think rationally and logically. L Ron might term one with Korsakoff's a "robot" or "PTS". But it is a physical, not mental, condition. Like a lot of other nerve damage, it takes years to repair, and often cannot be completely repaired. Someone in this condition might be conned into believing in mental health therapy or a cult for a cure.

But it is an actual physical condition.

LOL! See what Paul said. Do fish swim? I already answered that. Yes, yes and yes.

You are no slouch yourself! Never heard of Korsakoff's syndrome!

Wish you well on the caring.

There are other ways to be be vit B1 defficient than alcoholism. Refined foods in countries without adding B1 as a supplement to flour for example, and those where maize is a staple. Then coffee and tea can lead to deficiencies.

http://www.innvista.com/health/nutrition/vitamins/b1.htm

For a mini mild rant, one should note that a vit-amine is called such as its essential to life. ie without any particular one you will die. Limited amounts of any you will be in a state of non optimum health. Under stress, requirements for vits can raise by 1000%. Worth relating to the situation of those in the SO.

It is the case that most people are somewhat deficient in some vitamins.

How to avoid this?

Not easy. Eating whole grain, organic foods is a very good start. But
even then soil in many areas is depleted of nutrients in a very variable way.

Fish, an excellent source are now very compromised because of pollution.
Its routine to advise people, especially mothers, to avoid top predators such as Tuna , Salmon and so on who concentrate pollutants. Or eat rarely.

Organic beef lamb and so on are probably pretty OK, but very expensive.

Then there is the need to go full on with cooking and so on and avoid
processed food etc.

Doubt the SO have such privilege!

No, in all not so easy.

Re Dr Denk, never met the guy. Read all about him being a Dr, vistaril
and LRH's physician. Any reference to him being a scientologist I missed
or forgot. Maybe further input on how he and Megan Shields had there
duties as a doctor compromised may be of use. maybe you've said all. Dunno.

Also it may be useful to continue with nutrition discussion on this thread.
Or start another. Over to you to decide. :)

G

Gottabrain

^^ Great post, Terril. :)

Using both medical science and alternative health therapy in a logical, rational way is certainly the go. Most times, guesswork is unnecessary. There is no reason not to get proper tests done. Vit deficiencies are easily verified by blood tests.

It's the high concentrations of mercury in tuna and other large fish that's the problem, so it's not supposed to be eaten more than 1-2X a week.

Most of the vitamin stripped fruits and veges (from bad soil or even no soil) originate from China. They also often have extremely high contents of e coli and other bacteria, These imports are not tested very often. And the "Product of Australia" or similar labels are misleading. That only means it was imported by an Australian (or other local) company - but not locally grown.

On my last post, I gave some of Dr Denk's Scientology Service Completions.

Sheila

Terril park

Sponsor
I should also add that many pollutants destroy vits. Or another way of saying this, the Vits are doing there job.

Air pollution almost globally is horrendous. Water pollution also. In
London drinking water is re cycled 7 times, and hormones from birth control
pills are not eradicated. Thus I drink beer. :)

Then there are the chemicals used on crops and given to animals.

tiptoethrutheminefield

Patron with Honors
The Usual Suspects

Gottabrain, do you notice how this thread started off with outrage, rape and child abuse and ended up with vitamins?

Ever notice how this happens a lot on ESMB?

A member on here directed me to Working Through Deflections (google it) and I found it very helpful dealing with some on this message board.

I don't mince words, so I will add that not being able to confront the evils of the organization we once supported is a phase I hope we all get completely out of eventually. Hey, that's nicer than I usually am about it!

FYI, I've recently been threatened by CoS, so I must be doing something right. :yes:

IMMORTAL

Patron Meritorious
Gottabrain, do you notice how this thread started off with outrage, rape and child abuse and ended up with vitamins?

Ever notice how this happens a lot on ESMB?

A member on here directed me to Working Through Deflections (google it) and I found it very helpful dealing with some on this message board.

I don't mince words, so I will add that not being able to confront the evils of the organization we once supported is a phase I hope we all get completely out of eventually. Hey, that's nicer than I usually am about it!

FYI, I've recently been threatened by CoS, so I must be doing something right. :yes:

Well, Tiptoe. I don't want to derail this thread too much (as you mention above about deflections) as this is about Dr. Denk, but I was curious about what you meant when you said the CofS has "threatened" you. Can you elaborate......or no...

PTSPal

Patron with Honors
Dr. Denk

I saw Denk several times before he died (throat cancer). He continued to come in at Shaws until he got sick. I know he has been indicted here but from what I remember he was a good doc and a heck of a nice guy...

Infinite

Troublesome Internet Fringe Dweller
No doubt about it - Denk went his grave with many secrets and, surely, resounding cognitive dissonance. From a statement by Robert Vaughn Young

. . . <snip> . . . I pulled out another document, signed by Hubbard. It prohibited any autopsy of his body on religious grounds, which was legally binding on officials. DM and attorney Earle Cooley had shoved it at the coroner to stop him, leaving him to take only blood samples, which turned up the Vistaril.

So, I thought, L. Ron Hubbard, the man who fought psychiatry since 1950 and who railed against the dangers of any psychiatric drugs had died with them in his brain while signing a new last will.

Plus even the coroner was suspicious of the will as it had been signed by Hubbard just before he died. Coincidences like that tend to make coroner's worry. (I wonder what the coroner would have thought had he known that Denk was gambling at Lake Tahoe when Hubbard had his stroke, as several people can attest. The impression the coroner had was that Denk was "in attendence" with Hubbard not only at death but was there at the stroke, having stayed at the ranch for months. Hmmm....) . . . <snip> . . .

Markus

Silver Meritorious Patron
"I never had any respect for Megan Shields as a doctor and felt she was always an airhead who could not make rational judgments on when to use medical science and alternative medicines." http://forum.exscn.net/showpost.php?p=524760&postcount=21

Let me just take the above statement about Dr. Megan Shields Gottabrain. I want to inform all readers of this thread that Dr. Megan Shields was the responsible MD for my brother Uwe Stuckenbrock. She and the Church of Scientology are responsible for his early death.

love

Markus

See also: http://forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?t=8102

http://forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?t=14804

Auditor's Toad

Clear as Mud
I can't prove this, and don't even remember who told me this but....
a person who knew Gene Denk said after Hubbie croaked that Denk went home and sat on his couch for about a year.

This is NOT OK !!!!

Gold Meritorious Patron
I would love to give examples of Meggan's quackery but the power of the CofS policy of disconnection prevents me.

I think that it's at least fair to say that any MD who is a Scientologist is defacto a quack.:yes:

This is NOT OK !!!!

Gold Meritorious Patron
Dear Paul,

On behalf of the American wise-acres on ESMB, you are welcome! for the medical services your received at our expense.

You're a great guy.

I hope you're continuing to take good care of yourself.

Auditor's Toad

Clear as Mud
I would love to give examples of Meggan's quackery but the power of the CofS policy of disconnection prevents me.I think that it's at least fair to say that any MD who is a Scientologist is defacto a quack.:yes:

Isn't it interesting the kind of pressure an alleged "church" is willing to exert to silence former members?

Infinite

Troublesome Internet Fringe Dweller
200px-Allaboutradiation2.jpg

Heh! You learn something new every day. I didn't know Gene Denk co-authored that definitive medical text on radiation - quick, someone alert the Japanese authorities.

T

TheSneakster

No doubt about it - Denk went his grave with many secrets and, surely, resounding cognitive dissonance. From a statement by Robert Vaughn Young

Bottom line is R.V.Y. wasn't actually there when Hubbard died and knew neither more nor less about Hubbard's death than what was available in public records, same as you or I.

Those public records say there was no murder.

Why anyone should find it suspicious that a 76 year old man with a history of cerebral vascular accident ("stroke") should have died as a result of one is quite incomprehensible to me.

Treatment of stroke victims with Vistaril was totally normal in 1986. Hubbard had numerous allergies, so use of an antihistamine (allergy suppressor) that is also a mild sedative surely was good idea.

RVY's false sensationalizing of Vistaril (antihistamine and mild sedative) as a "psych drug", when the common usage of that phrase in Scientology meant powerful mind-altering substances like anti-depressants was either extremely ignorant or highly disingenuous.

Read the entire set of coroner's reports.

There was no murder and therefore no just reason for slandering Dr. Gene Denk.

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
Sorry, Michael, but I think there MAY have been a murder. And whenever I say that, I say "may" rather than "Was".

There are a lot of circumstances surrounding his death that are suspect.

I will never say there was one for sure, I will never present that. And I will always say it's opinion, but it seems rather possible, maybe even likely to me that Hubbard was slain.

Someone I knew who very much wanted to never be identified or alluded to told me they were quite sure of it. Myself, I'm not so sure but I'm not going to dismiss the possibility.

OHTEEATE

Silver Meritorious Patron
Denk

A friend of mine who is still "in" ,as far as I know, knew Denk pretty well. He told her some LRH stories after Hubbard died. He lived in a trailer next to LRHs motorhome at Creston, and could occasionally hear Hubbard cursing when something "backfired" on him while researching OT levels. Hubbard told him he was researching OT 10 and it was kicking his ass from time to time. It was a long level, evidently. Hubbard had Denk into his motorhome for exams pretty frequently. Once, Denk expressed interest in a folder Hubbard had out labelled "electricity". It was a big , fat folder stuffed with papers. Hubbard told him he would have to show him his "stuff" on electricity some time . He never got around to it. He was into Tesla type research and said to Denk that scientists do not know what electricity really is; they just know how to harness or direct it.

Peter Soderqvist

Patron with Honors
Bottom line is R.V.Y. wasn't actually there when Hubbard died and knew neither more nor less about Hubbard's death than what was available in public records, same as you or I.

Those public records say there was no murder.

Why anyone should find it suspicious that a 76 year old man with a history of cerebral vascular accident ("stroke") should have died as a result of one is quite incomprehensible to me.

Treatment of stroke victims with Vistaril was totally normal in 1986. Hubbard had numerous allergies, so use of an antihistamine (allergy suppressor) that is also a mild sedative surely was good idea.

RVY's false sensationalizing of Vistaril (antihistamine and mild sedative) as a "psych drug", when the common usage of that phrase in Scientology meant powerful mind-altering substances like anti-depressants was either extremely ignorant or highly disingenuous.

Read the entire set of coroner's reports.

There was no murder and therefore no just reason for slandering Dr. Gene Denk.

Soderqvist1: Sneakster you playing with words too much!
Vistaril is the mother compound to our modern neuroleptics we have today!
In what sense is the Methylphenidate Ritalin a psych drug, but Vistaril is not?
According to the Swedish Senior Psychiatrist Ulf Brettstam Vistaril is a “psych-drug”!
http://www.xenu.net/archive/free_speech/200603-vistaril.html