What's new

Dr Gene Denk - L Ron Hubbard's Personal Physician

G

Gottabrain

Who was/is Dr. Gene Denk, who was Hubbard's personal physician? What's his story?

I knew him and saw him personally several times as a doctor in the later 70s and early 80s at Shaw Health Center on Fountain Avenue in LA, down the street from the complex.

He was a different man before he was recruited to work for Hubbard personally. He was once a good doctor, but he sold out or lost the plot.

In one of my visits to him around the late 70s, I had a cyst in a fallopian tube. He took a medical sample, analyzed it on the spot, figured out the composition of the cyst and put me on antibiotics that healed it. Better than surgery and for that time, it was brilliant.

In later visits by very sick staff at AOLA when I was SSO (I sent them to the doctor first, then fought to get the bills paid), his use of medicine deteriorated. Staff received less antibiotics and more vitamin B1 or B12 shots. They were commonly told they had "adrenal exhaustion" but few blood tests were ever performed to confirm this.

So I stopped sending staff to him or to the several other Scn doctors in LA who mirrored whatever Denk did, like Dr Meghan Shields (who hardly ever did anything else besides vitamin shots). Hell, if all they were willing to do was prescribe vitamins and I was fighting and using up my tiny allocations and risking being personally billed for unauthorized staff medical expenses to send them there just for this bullshit, why not just buy the vitamins for the staff?

Then Dr Denk disappeared. He went "over the rainbow" to become L Ron's personal physician and work on Scientology projects.

And he gave medical approval for some really abominable things. Like the Running Program. It was a nightmare tested out on the PAC RPF and the whole concept of running in circles for hours around a pole as psychological therapy was insane. Lots of people got very sick doing it.

If that weren't enough, he completely sold his integrity when he was L Ron's physician by refusing to declare him mentally incompetent in his last months/year(s), instead becoming part of a team to disguise and hide his condition. Denk should have put Hubbard in the hands of his family and a proper medical facility - notably, Diana and/or Susan, like any other old man who had lost the plot and was incapable of making rational decisions anymore. Denk violated his oaths and integrity as a physician many times - by refusing to report Hubbard's condition or the fact that a man in this condition was being secretly smuggled around in isolation and kept in a drugged state. Instead, he supplied Hubbard with cocktails of drugs, perhaps administering them personally, and Hubbard signed a revised will in this condition and insane state which should never have been valid. And the DM crim team took over.

After I was out of Scn and the SO in 87, I periodically saw Dr. Denk in the area. Unlike the late 70s or early 80s, he had an expensive car, he dressed flashy, he'd had plastic surgery on his face and a fake tan. He appeared to be doing very well financially from his work with(on?) Hubbard. And though he was still listed as a doctor at Shaw Health Center, he rarely came by, and to my knowledge, stopped seeing patients personally. He appeared to be doing very well financially.

Another who sold his integrity for Scientology.

G

Gottabrain

Report on Drs Gene Denk & Megan Shields by Energy Traveler:

"Dr. Megan Shields and her colleague, Dr. Gene Denk, know more about the inner criminal activity of senior Scientology management than just about anyone.

Quite a while ago, Dr. Denk supervised the Purification program on Carrie Alkins. During the Purif, Carrie, a juvenile diabetic, developed a detached retina and, although she had several eye surgeries, wound up legally blind. She has remained so ever since.

Carrie wrote up a bunch of knowledge reports at the time in an effort to not only get some sort of apology and restitution from Shaw Health Center, but also to ensure that other diabetics were not given massive dosages of niacin, which could bring on retinal bleeding and possibly a detached retina which could result in blindness.

Regular doctors routinely warn diabetics against taking massive dosages of niacin for this reason.

Dr. Denk and Dr. Shields circled the wagons, of course, and let Carrie and her husband know that if she pushed the point she might get kicked out of the Church. Scientology doctors tend to cover for each other and also for the Church. They fail to report child abuse, sexual harassment, spousal abuse, and any sort of medical negligence that has happened ROUTINELY over the years within the Sea Org.

When I was on staff at ASHO and at AO I used to do all the staff FESing (review of counseling folders). This is what I observed. A lot of the staff members would get sick, go to the Shaw Health Center and get sub-optimum care there. Serious illnesses would often be overlooked resulting in extremely serious medical and sometimes fatal consequences. Many times I saw staff members who went to Shaw Health Center and the doctors prescribed routine antibiotics rather than ordering the medical exams that would be normally ordered by any competent physician. As a result of that, many times the staff members ended up going to the hospital in late stages of cancer when the cancer was too advanced to be operable. Because the Sea Org doesn't pay for health insurance for its staff members it becomes a very serious problem when they get a disease.

Also, seriously depressed or mentally ill people NEVER get referred by the doctors at Shaw Health Center for any type of treatment. For instance, there was a NOTS auditor in the early 1980s who was a staff member at AOLA who was 5'6" tall and weighed less than 90 lbs. She was completely anorexic. She was very seriously ill. Shaw Health Center attempted to handle her with intravenous vitamins. They didn't inform her family or take the measures that were really needed to save her life...."

See rest of write up at http://www.holysmoke.org/cos/megan-shields-cult-criminality.htm

Lurker5

Gold Meritorious Patron
Holy crappola

Holy crappola - it never ceases to astonish me, the criminal behavior of the co$ that never goes 'public'. Would the USofA do anything even if it did?

??????? Truly, I am not sure. :confused2:

G

Gottabrain

Lurker, Carrie Alkins and other victims could have reported these quack doctors and sued and gotten their licenses revoked.

I knew Carrie Alkins - she was one sweet woman. And I know of the pervert referred to (though I don't recall the name) that had been a nanny at the Child Estates Org. There were also rapes. One who was raped at the complex in the 80s was Sally ---? She told me about it. She didn't want to do a police report. I was 18 at the time, so didn't argue.

Every doctor is required to report spousal and child abuse. These crook doctors, Denk and Shields, got away with this and so much else simply because nobody reported it to the police.

Lurker5

Gold Meritorious Patron
Disgusting

Disgusting violation and betrayal of the hippocratic oath - and then living a wealthy life style - YEP - sold their souls - for MONEY. Lowest of the low. Snakes in the grass, slime, trash, not worth pissing on if on fire - disgusting low-life beings - I won't even call them human . . . :grouch: :omg:

guanoloco

As-Wased
Gottabrain,

I think I remember reading one time a blatantly false statement from Tommy Davis that the C of S provides health, dental, clothing and boarding of its staff.

Do you or anybody recall that?

I think it was fairly recently and the context of the statement was how could Scientology justify paying $20/week to its Sea Org staff.

Ring a bell anyone?

G

Gottabrain

Gottabrain,

I think I remember reading one time a blatantly false statement from Tommy Davis that the C of S provides health, dental, clothing and boarding of its staff.

Do you or anybody recall that?

I think it was fairly recently and the context of the statement was how could Scientology justify paying $20/week to its Sea Org staff.

Ring a bell anyone?

Guano, I haven't personally seen that claim by Davis.

These cover-ups by certified Scientology doctors are one big reason WHY Scn gets away with its false Purif stats and other claims. There have been plenty of deaths and other incidents of harmful damage. This is why child molestors, wife beaters and rapists in Scn get away with this stuff.

These quack Scn doctors need to be reported and sued. Their victims need to know they no longer need to be afraid - we are here to support them in their fight. Their fight is ours. Let the truth be known.

Terril park

Sponsor
Who was/is Dr. Gene Denk, who was Hubbard's personal physician? What's his story?

I knew him and saw him personally several times as a doctor in the later 70s and early 80s at Shaw Health Center on Fountain Avenue in LA, down the street from the complex.

He was a different man before he was recruited to work for Hubbard personally. He was once a good doctor, but he sold out or lost the plot.

In one of my visits to him around the late 70s, I had a cyst in a fallopian tube. He took a medical sample, analyzed it on the spot, figured out the composition of the cyst and put me on antibiotics that healed it. Better than surgery and for that time, it was brilliant.

In later visits by very sick staff at AOLA when I was SSO (I sent them to the doctor first, then fought to get the bills paid), his use of medicine deteriorated. Staff received less antibiotics and more vitamin B1 or B12 shots. They were commonly told they had "adrenal exhaustion" but few blood tests were ever performed to confirm this.

So I stopped sending staff to him or to the several other Scn doctors in LA who mirrored whatever Denk did, like Dr Meghan Shields (who hardly ever did anything else besides vitamin shots). Hell, if all they were willing to do was prescribe vitamins and I was fighting and using up my tiny allocations and risking being personally billed for unauthorized staff medical expenses to send them there just for this bullshit, why not just buy the vitamins for the staff?

Then Dr Denk disappeared. He went "over the rainbow" to become L Ron's personal physician and work on Scientology projects.

And he gave medical approval for some really abominable things. Like the Running Program. It was a nightmare tested out on the PAC RPF and the whole concept of running in circles for hours around a pole as psychological therapy was insane. Lots of people got very sick doing it.

If that weren't enough, he completely sold his integrity when he was L Ron's physician by refusing to declare him mentally incompetent in his last months/year(s), instead becoming part of a team to disguise and hide his condition. Denk should have put Hubbard in the hands of his family and a proper medical facility - notably, Diana and/or Susan, like any other old man who had lost the plot and was incapable of making rational decisions anymore. Denk violated his oaths and integrity as a physician many times - by refusing to report Hubbard's condition or the fact that a man in this condition was being secretly smuggled around in isolation and kept in a drugged state. Instead, he supplied Hubbard with cocktails of drugs, perhaps administering them personally, and Hubbard signed a revised will in this condition and insane state which should never have been valid. And the DM crim team took over.

After I was out of Scn and the SO in 87, I periodically saw Dr. Denk in the area. Unlike the late 70s or early 80s, he had an expensive car, he dressed flashy, he'd had plastic surgery on his face and a fake tan. He appeared to be doing very well financially from his work with(on?) Hubbard. And though he was still listed as a doctor at Shaw Health Center, he rarely came by, and to my knowledge, stopped seeing patients personally. He appeared to be doing very well financially.

Another who sold his integrity for Scientology.

You are a wealth of info in unsuspected places.

Consult with Tory who also knew Dr Denk.

Was he a scientologist? Employed by Hubbard/COS?

One thing his diagnosis of " Adrenal Exhaustion" was probably spot on.

Its a result of continual stress. Leads to all sorts of maladies.

The handling, per Adelle Davis is B vit pantothenic acid. I once cured a friend with this. He was at the time selling nutrients on the web, and for a variety of reasons led a stressfull life. He was taking all vits including pantothenic acid. I tentatively suggested an extra dosing of pantothenic acid, and he was back to normal health in a couple of days.

Note that its possible the running programme at PAC was different to the one Mayo had at I believe Gilman. He lost 6 teeth and was told by DM he wouldn't leave alive. This was RPF stuff. 12 hours a day in the desert sun.

G

Gottabrain

You are a wealth of info in unsuspected places.

Consult with Tory who also knew Dr Denk.

Was he a scientologist? Employed by Hubbard/COS?

One thing his diagnosis of " Adrenal Exhaustion" was probably spot on.

Its a result of continual stress. Leads to all sorts of maladies.

The handling, per Adelle Davis is B vit pantothenic acid. I once cured a friend with this. He was at the time selling nutrients on the web, and for a variety of reasons led a stressfull life. He was taking all vits including pantothenic acid. I tentatively suggested an extra dosing of pantothenic acid, and he was back to normal health in a couple of days.

Note that its possible the running programme at PAC was different to the one Mayo had at I believe Gilman. He lost 6 teeth and was told by DM he wouldn't leave alive. This was RPF stuff. 12 hours a day in the desert sun.

I was SO in LA for 9 years, Terril, have you forgotten? Tory and I knew each other. We were both SO in LA. We did not know each other well when we were in though. You are welcome to consult with her if you wish. Any Scns who spent any great deal of time in LA in the 70's & 80s knew Shaw Health Center.

Terril, exhaustion can be a symptom of many things, including cancer, liver and kidney disease, and a wealth of other things. For a doctor to make a diagnosis of "adrenal exhaustion" off the top of his or her head without so much as a blood test is extremely irresponsible and disgusting. SOME staff had adrenal exhaustion. But others died from misdiagnosis (did you see the report from the former AOLA & ASHO FESer that I attached?)

Yes, both Denk and Shields were active Scientologists. When did Denk die? Shields still has a website and is the key medico behind the Purification Rundown.

Adele Davis was sued a number of times for misinformation in her books. She also died of cancer. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Adelle_Davis

You or I can "self-diagnose" without any medical degree. But we can't find cancer, liver or kidney disease, or other things that others depend on professionals to test for and know about before it is too late. And these days, it only takes a simple blood test to find if you have any cancer at all in your body. It should be done more often.

SO Members DIED because Denk and Shields diagnosed "adrenal exhaustion" without running tests.

Other patients that saw Denk or Shields ended up having cancer and being treated too late, or not vigorously enough. Enid Byrne died of cancer sitting at her desk - she was a patient of Shaw Health Center. Mary Sue Hubbard died of breast cancer, she was a patient of Megan Shields - but breast cancer, if caught and treated early and vigorously, is pretty much curable these days. Too little, too late for MSH, Enid Byrne and others.

RE RUNNING PROGRAM: The Gilman Springs Running Program pilot WAS the PAC Running Program pilot. It was conducted in 1985 or 1986, while I was on the RPF (I did not go to Gilman Springs, but others I was on the PAC RPF with were transferred there). Was this a SECOND pilot after Mayo's?!? It appears to be the case. The year I stated is correct.

I assume Denk was paid in some way by the C of S or L Ron while he was with him as his personal physician in the final years. He came back quite well off, and Shaw Health Center wasn't very profitable before that.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Gottabrain

Thanks, Paul. There were also needle marks according to several different reports, and the C of S did not allow a full autopsy.

"He was found with Vistaril (an antihistamine with psychotropic properties of some sort) in his blood stream and needle marks in his glutes.

The church of Scn told the medical examiner's office that autopsies aren't allowed in Scn so they didn't do one. This claim that they aren't allowed is false so I assume someone had something to hide."

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Scientology-1751/Death-Ron-Hubbard.htm

Here's a more comprehensive link on events before L Ron died. Sure looks shady:
http://www.holysmoke.org/cos/was-hubbard-murdered.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
What evidence is there for "Instead, he supplied Hubbard with cocktails of drugs, perhaps administering them personally, and Hubbard signed a revised will in this condition and insane state which should never have been valid"?

He died a week after the stroke. Denk said he prescribed the Vistaril for "dysphasia," i.e., mental imbalance after the stroke. There is nothing suspicious about that, as far as I can tell. He died, remember! The stroke killed him, so I don't have a problem believing his mental state was affected too, and I don't have a problem accepting whatever mental state he was in before, or that the revised will should be invalid. But I don't see clinical evidence in the toxicology report of other drugs.

This is a list of how long different drugs stay in the system. I haven't a clue if it is accurate or not. But I assume the coroner toxicology guys know what they are doing.

From http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_long_do_drugs_stay_in_your_system:

Alcohol - 3-5 days in urine (eTg), up to 90 in hair and around 10 - 12 hours in blood.

Amphetamines - 1 to 3 days in urine, up to 90 in hair and around 12 hours in blood.

MDMA (Ecstasy) 3-4 days in urine, up to 90 in hair and 1 - 2 days in blood.

Barbiturates - 2 to 4 days in urine, up to 90 in hair and 1 to 2 days in blood.

Phenobarbital - 2 to 3 weeks in urine, up to 90 in hair and up to a week in blood.

Benzodiazapines - 3 to 6 weeks in urine, up to 90 in hair and 2 - 3 days in blood.

Marijuana - 7 to 30 days in urine, up to 90 days in hair, two weeks in blood.

Methamphetamine (crystal) - 3 to 6 days in urine, up 90 in hair, 24 - 72 hours in blood.

Cocaine - 3 to 4 days in urine, up to 90 days in hair, 1 - 2 days in blood.

Codeine - 1 day in urine, up to 90 days in hair, 12 hours in blood.

Fentanyl - 1 day in urine, up to 90 days in hair, 4 hours in blood.

Morphine - 2 -3 days in urine, up to 90 in hair, 6 - 8 hours in blood.

Heroin - 3 to 4 days in urine, up to 90 in hair, up to 12 hours in blood.

LSD - 1 to 3 days in urine, up to 3 days in hair, 2 - 3 hours in blood.

Methadone - 3 - 4 days in urine, up to 90 in hair, 24 - 36 hours in blood.

PCP - up to 30 days in urine, up to 90 days in hair, 2 - 4 days in blood.

Dilaudid - 2 to 3 days in urine, up to 90 days in hair, up to 22 hours in blood.

Suboxone - 2 - 5 days in urine, up to 90 days in hair, up to 3 days in blood.

-----

EDIT: Looking again at the toxicology report, it says they used a blood specimen (I know there was no urine available). But they really didn't use a hair sample? If the above figures are true, WHY would they not use a hair sample too?

-----

Funnily enough, I (literally) hopped into Denk's office the morning after I had (or was still having, per him) a stroke, in October 2001. I was several years out of the SO by then. He looked *terrible*, very very dark and massy. I had seen Megan Shields before, but it was the first time I had ever seen him. He referred me to the hospital (Olive View), the correct thing to do, and they looked after me fine.

Paul

G

Gottabrain

What evidence is there for "Instead, he supplied Hubbard with cocktails of drugs, perhaps administering them personally, and Hubbard signed a revised will in this condition and insane state which should never have been valid"?

He died a week after the stroke. Denk said he prescribed the Vistaril for "dysphasia," i.e., mental imbalance after the stroke. There is nothing suspicious about that, as far as I can tell. He died, remember! The stroke killed him, so I don't have a problem believing his mental state was affected too, and I don't have a problem accepting whatever mental state he was in before, or that the revised will should be invalid. But I don't see clinical evidence in the toxicology report of other drugs.

This is a list of how long different drugs stay in the system. I haven't a clue if it is accurate or not. But I assume the coroner toxicology guys know what they are doing..."

EDIT: Looking again at the toxicology report, it says they used a blood specimen (I know there was no urine available). But they really didn't use a hair sample? If the above figures are true, WHY would they not use a hair sample too?

-----

Funnily enough, I (literally) hopped into Denk's office the morning after I had (or was still having, per him) a stroke, in October 2001. I was several years out of the SO by then. He looked *terrible*, very very dark and massy. I had seen Megan Shields before, but it was the first time I had ever seen him. He referred me to the hospital (Olive View), the correct thing to do, and they looked after me fine.

Paul

Nice research and refs, Paul. You are right, there was no absolute evidence of other drugs in his body at that time, as this evidence was denied and an autopsy was denied. Still, the following is a pretty damning case against Dr. Denk:

"THE SUSPICIOUS CIRCUMSTANCES OF L. RON HUBBARD'S DEATH ,AND PURPORTED EXECUTION OF ALLEGED LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT PURPORTEDLY DATED JANUARY 25,1987 23. For many years prior to his death, Mr. Hubbard ingested various drugs, many of them allegedly hypnotic and psychiatric drugs, and other medications which were administered by certain assistants of Mr. Hubbard, such as a certain Andre Tabayoyon and Kim Douglas, whose testimony will be submitted with the Petitions sought to be filed herein. One of Mr.

Hubbard's own sons has also testified to these facts in prior proceedings.

24. During the two years before his death, a Dr. Gene Denk was in constant attendance upon Mr. Hubbard on a full time basis. Dr. Gene Denk is understood to be a duly licensed California physician.

25. Approximately two weeks before Mr. Hubbard died, Dr.

Denk left Mr. Hubbard's side in Creston, California and went on a gambling trip to Reno/Lake Tahoe, Nevada accompanied by his wife, Terri Gamboa, Rick Aznaran, and David Miscavige.

In essence, it appears that L. Ron Hubbard's medical support was intentionally withdrawn from him. Prior to this gambling expedition, David Miscavige was reported in prior testimony as stating, in effect, "the IRS indictments are about to come down. The only thing that will save us now is if the Old Man dies."

During their absence in Reno, Nevada, Mr. Hubbard suffered a crippling stroke. Upon information and belief, Mr. Hubbard received no medical attention from any physician licensed to practice in California, until Dr. Denk returned from Reno, Nevada. Dr. Denk had prescribed and administered a number of drugs to Mr. Hubbard, including the psychiatric drug Hydroxyzine (Vistaril) which is usually administered in combination with other hypnotic, psychotic and sedating narcotics and restricted drugs. Indeed, the Coroner's report indicates that there were "ten recent needle marks" in "the right gluteal area" of the dead body.

According to Dr. Denk's statement to the Coroner, Mr. Hubbard also had a "long history of chronic pancreatitis" (which is primarily cause by alcoholism) and a recent history of "dysphrasia." According to the Coroner, Dr. Denk also told the Coroner "of decedent's clinical history which supported a possible neurological problem;" thereby raising issues of cognitive capacity which Mr. Hubbard's personal representatives such as Norman F. Starkey, Sherman D. Lenske, Esq., and Earle Cooley, Esq. should have brought to the attention of this Court. Berry Declaration, Exhibit A, "Investigation," "Report on "Toxicology Report" Post Mortem Examination, 26. Mr. Hubbard's 1979, 1982 and 1983 testamentary instruments made no disposition of any copyrights which cannot, as a matter of law, be transferred by will. In addition, Mary Sue Hubbard had/has a fifty percent community property interest in each of these copyrights.

27. Immediately prior to Mr. Hubbard's death, Dr. Denk, Pat Broeker, Anne Broeker, Steven Pfauth, Ray Mithoff, and possibly others, were in attendance with Mr. Hubbard.

All of them are within the group defined herein as Hubbard's Successors as defined in paragraph 3 herein.

28. Upon information and belief, neither Mr. Hubbard's wife, Mary Sue Hubbard, nor any of his children were present at the time of his death, were not advised of his ailing health and imminent demise, and the Hubbard Successors purposefully deprived the Hubbard family of the opportunity to be with him at his death bed. One day before he died, with his cognitive capacity in serious question, Mr. Hubbard purportedly signed a new will and trust agreement providing, among other things, for purported transfers of the Disputed Works to the Hubbard Successors, and which made certain lesser testamentary provisions for Mr. Hubbard's wife and certain of his children. Significantly the inherently suspect alleged last minute will, for the very first time, purported to unlawfully transfer the Disputed Works to the Hubbard Successors notwithstanding the community property interest of his wife who had been married to him when each of the Disputed Works were allegedly written by Mr. Hubbard alone.

David Miscavige and Dr. Denk misrepresented the significance of the differences between the purported January 23, 1986 Will and the earlier testamentary instruments. Berry Decl.

Exhibit A, Investigation Report, page 4, 2nd full para.

Clearly, those misrepresentations of David Miscavige and Dr. Denk misled the coroner into concluding that there was no reason or motive to suspect foul play and therefore no need to investigate further. Upon information and belief, David Miscavige, Norman Starkey, and others participating provided no opportunity for any of the Hubbard Family members to be involved in these events.

29. The Coroner was unable, and not permitted, to conduct an autopsy of Mr. Hubbard's body. Mr. Hubbard's death was not reported to the authorities for many, many hours until attorney Earle Cooley, Esq. had traveled from Boston, Massachusetts to the ranch at Creston, California, had assessed the situation and then notified a funeral home which became suspicious as a result of the delay in reporting the death, and alerted the Coroner. Berry The provisions of the 1986 will are generally described on pages 6-8 of the draft Memorandum of Points and Authorities attached to the supporting Berry Declaration as Exhibit C."

http://www.holysmoke.org/cos/was-hubbard-murdered.htm

Paul, I never saw Dr. Denk again after the late 80's - I moved out of Calif then. All he did for you was refer you to another place, a free place.

You were still in the SO then, right? That sort of thing is described in detail by the FESer who wrote the report on my second post. (click on it for details)

You say you were happy with Denk at the time. But could you have been prescribed something or given a test by him rather than referred elsewhere? At least he didn't misdiagnose you. Better a referral than a misdiagnosis.

Please click on the link I gave on my second post and read the full report.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Paul, I never saw Dr. Denk again after the late 80's - I moved out of Calif then. All he did for you was refer you to another place, a free place.

You were still in the SO then, right? That sort of thing is described in detail by the FESer who wrote the report on my second post. (click on it for details)

You say you were happy with Denk at the time. But could you have been prescribed something or given a test by him rather than referred elsewhere? At least he didn't misdiagnose you. Better a referral than a misdiagnosis.

Please click on the link I gave on my second post and read the full report.

The diagnosis of a TIA wasn't too hard to make, since my right leg and arm were grossly misfunctioning. There was no obvious cognitive impairment, and I was my usual chirpy self, not particularly bothered by the medical stuff at all. The free hospital was fine by me as I had no medical insurance. When I got there I figured I would be waiting several hours. The person who took me was more pushy than me and yelled "he's having a stroke!" waving Denk's letter. One minute later, literally, four medical people rushed out with a gurney and took me inside and hovered around me for a while doing whatever they do. Later that night I got an MRI and spent a couple of days in Intensive Care before spending a few days in a really nice rehab place in the high desert. I was very satisfied with the care, and the bill I got for $45,000 got knocked down to about $500 by their finance people, which I could afford to pay and did promptly. I got back about 95% of the use of the arm and leg.

I had left the SO five years before.

I'm not trying to defend Denk or the Shaw Health Center.

Paul

G

Gottabrain

Wow, Paul. They really took good care of you. :thumbsup:

What a wonderful (dare I say it?) Success Story about good medical practice saving your life and limbs at the hospital! :D :clap::clap:

I'm glad you're alright now. That must have been so scary to go through.

Yeh, I understand you're not really defending Dr Denk. Your point about why no hair test is a good one, too, with the list of drugs that could have been tested with it.

Terril park

Sponsor
Terril, exhaustion can be a symptom of many things, including cancer, liver and kidney disease, and a wealth of other things. For a doctor to make a diagnosis of "adrenal exhaustion" off the top of his or her head without so much as a blood test is extremely irresponsible and disgusting.

Exhaustian and adrenal exhaustian are not nessesarily the same thing.

IMO, not expert, I'd expect adrenal exhaustion best diagnosed by blood test. Was Denk able to spend the bucks to do this or was he doing the best he could? I presume he was an excellent doctor. After all Hubbard chose him!

Was his knowledge compromised by connection to LRH and COS?

SOME staff had adrenal exhaustion. But others died from misdiagnosis (did you see the report from the former AOLA & ASHO FESer that I attached?)

Yes, both Denk and Shields were active Scientologists. When did Denk die? Shields still has a website and is the key medico behind the Purification Rundown.

Didn't see.

Adele Davis was sued a number of times for misinformation in her books. She also died of cancer. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Adelle_Davis

Of course she would be. Or do you shill for big Pharma. :)

She may not have got everything right but was a pioneer. Its hard science
that vits are essential to health. Though I must say after a recent stay in a UK hospital this would be hard to believe.

You or I can "self-diagnose" without any medical degree. But we can't find cancer, liver or kidney disease, or other things that others depend on professionals to test for and know about before it is too late. And these days, it only takes a simple blood test to find if you have any cancer at all in your body. It should be done more often.

Right on! I expect COS was delinquent there.

SO Members DIED because Denk and Shields diagnosed "adrenal exhaustion" without running tests.

Were these people put on the recommended regime by the doctors?
How do you know tests weren't run?

Other patients that saw Denk or Shields ended up having cancer and being treated too late, or not vigorously enough. Enid Byrne died of cancer sitting at her desk - she was a patient of Shaw Health Center. Mary Sue Hubbard died of breast cancer, she was a patient of Megan Shields - but breast cancer, if caught and treated early and vigorously, is pretty much curable these days. Too little, too late for MSH, Enid Byrne and others.

These days are now. That was then. Don't especially doubt what you say.
Doubt iether of us are fully knowledgable of events. Agree care was criminally absent.

Love
bb

RE RUNNING PROGRAM: The Gilman Springs Running Program pilot WAS the PAC Running Program pilot. It was conducted in 1985 or 1986, while I was on the RPF (I did not go to Gilman Springs, but others I was on the PAC RPF with were transferred there). Was this a SECOND pilot after Mayo's?!? It appears to be the case. The year I stated is correct.

I assume Denk was paid in some way by the C of S or L Ron while he was with him as his personal physician in the final years. He came back quite well off, and Shaw Health Center wasn't very profitable before that.[/QUOTE]