Education and Study as Practiced in Scientology

GoNuclear

Gold Meritorious Patron
thanks

Pete - Thanks for your comprehensive post, it is really far reaching and hits the nail on the head. Thanks for bringing up the East Coast Public Schools! I was going to mention that in my post and forgot. We would get a transfer student in from the East Coast, mostly New York City, and that person was always a year ahead of us in L.A.. Often times the east coast kid would have to skip a grade to avoid doing some major topic such the multiplication tables over again. We L.A. kids were always impressed at how much better the New York and Eastern schools in general must be.

Yes, those shop courses, they were great in junior high and high school. I also took mechanical drawing and drafting in both the 7th and 12th grades, took band in junior high and played French Horn in the Orchestra in Senior High. In Junior High we all had to take shops. I took Print shop, Electrical shop, Wood shop and Metal Shop. In electrical shop we all had to do a major project and I built a crystal radio set which actually worked. In metal shop, I made a cake serving spatula shaped thing with a cutting edge (a cake knife) and I believe I had it up until our last more in 2001 when it finally got lost or maybe my wife threw it out.

ONE IMPROVEMENT IN MODERN TIMES - MORE OPPORTUNITIES FOR WOMEN
One area where the moderns beat us was in women's rights. There were no girls at all in any of my shop type courses. The 12th grade drafting class did have a couple of girls because it was an elective but none of the mandatory shop classes ever had any girls in them and I know some girls wanted to take shops and it was denied them. While the guys took their shops, the girls took Home Economics about how to cook, sew and run a household. For the time period of the 1950's this made sense but it sucks.....it is really archaic thinking to deny a female the right to take any of the shops. Many of the girls of that time mentioned that they wished they could take those classes and it was denied them. The boys were denied home economics which was also wrong but not that many guys wanted to take it, probably the only ones who did were guys who wanted to become chefs
Lakey

Thanks. BTW, 67 thru 71, when I went thru high school ... the girls were totally allowed to take ANY of the shop classes, and guys were allowed to take home economics (which included cooking and sewing). None of the girls were interested in the least with machine shop, mechanical drawing, or auto shop. Auto shop was the most coveted by the guys and unless you were in vocational education you couldn't get the auto shop. Machine shop was a close second, but it was possible to be in college prep and get machine shop, particularly if you had stated you were interested in engineering. No girls took these shop courses tho, period. I did know one guy who took home economics. We all thought he was crazy. He was crazy like a fox. Lots of exceedingly practical things were covered in home economics, and, this was a guy who had a rep for being a bit nerdy but thru the HE "shop" he was able to date lots of good looking chicks that not even the football jocks got a shot at.

Pete

lkwdblds

Crusader
Interesting about the girls not taking the shops.

Thanks. BTW, 67 thru 71, when I went thru high school ... the girls were totally allowed to take ANY of the shop classes, and guys were allowed to take home economics (which included cooking and sewing). None of the girls were interested in the least with machine shop, mechanical drawing, or auto shop. Auto shop was the most coveted by the guys and unless you were in vocational education you couldn't get the auto shop. Machine shop was a close second, but it was possible to be in college prep and get machine shop, particularly if you had stated you were interested in engineering. No girls took these shop courses tho, period. I did know one guy who took home economics. We all thought he was crazy. He was crazy like a fox. Lots of exceedingly practical things were covered in home economics, and, this was a guy who had a rep for being a bit nerdy but thru the HE "shop" he was able to date lots of good looking chicks that not even the football jocks got a shot at.

Pete

You went through 13 years after I did. It was good to see that the girls had the opportunity to take all the shop classes and the guys had the opportunity to take home economics. I am surprised that more females did not opt for the shop classes, especially drafting. There have always been women present in the various drafting classes which I have taken. Many women have a keen eye for design and drawing. No surprise about only 1 guy taking Home Economics. I remember several girls saying that they wished the could take wood shop or print shop even way back in my time. Auto shop and machine shop did not attract girls then or in your time. Interesting how some things change and yet stay the same.
Lakey

There are certain skills such as looking at a nut and knowing instantly what size wrench to grab

I worked on a Volvo in a tight dark garage in 1970. That car had American bolts and nuts, English Whitworth, European millimeters, and special Volvo only studs and nuts.

arrgghh