What's new

Elizabeth Moss working alongside Public Enemy #1?!? Whaaaat?!?

I'm pretty up to date with Hollywood stuff but had no idea til now that current-in Elizabeth Moss and SP Nicole Kidman star on a television show together. They even appeared together, side by side, at a critic's panel this week.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...i-would-absolutely-do-more-television-1025246

Excerpt:
Moss is joined in the series by Nicole Kidman and Game of Thrones' Gwendoline Christie. Christie, for one, said the internet has helped laid the groundwork for the recent influx of female roles in film and TV titles. "We are interconnected and we do all now have a voice and an equal voice in the realms of the internet and what's being uncovered is that people want to see stories that reflect them," she said.
For Kidman, the role in Top of the Lake season two follows her first series regular role, in HBO's Big Little Lies. Both series feature females in the three lead roles, as well as an ensemble where the female cast members outnumber the males.
"I love that for the two series that I've done on TV, I'm sitting with women up here," she said of her second appearance this year at TCA. "Is something changing? I know that I'm not sitting up here with men. I'm sitting up here both times with women and that means that the roles are here, the roles are in television and that’s really exciting. ... As an actor you go where the great roles are."
When asked what might be next after Top of the Lake: China Girl, Kidman said she would be open to returning to the small screen. "Would I love to do more TV? Absolutely," she said. "Is it in the future? I don't know."

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
I'd love to see her work side-by-side on a project with Katie Holmes. (and then I'd love to be a fly on the wall when they're having a private conversation about a certain ex they have in common. :coolwink:

Chris Shelton

Patron with Honors
Nicole Kidman certainly can't be considered a friend of Scientology after the whole Cruise debacle, but was she ever officially declared a Suppressive Person? I've never seen any issue or confirmation that this is the case, which would be one of the only explanations I can think of for why Elizabeth Moss would be allowed to star with Nicole on a TV show. Does anyone have any hard data on this?

Nicole Kidman certainly can't be considered a friend of Scientology after the whole Cruise debacle, but was she ever officially declared a Suppressive Person? I've never seen any issue or confirmation that this is the case, which would be one of the only explanations I can think of for why Elizabeth Moss would be allowed to star with Nicole on a TV show. Does anyone have any hard data on this?

Going Clear quotes Tom Cruise's daughter as saying "our mom's a fucking SP" - I think the circumstances for her saying that were in Leah Remini's book, when Leah somehow ended up in a car at Tom's wedding with Tom's two kids and Leah asked the daughter about Nicole.

Leland

Crusader

The Cult of Scientology has different "rules" for its members in the "industry." And different rules for its celebrities....IMO.

NoName

A Girl Has No Name
Going Clear quotes Tom Cruise's daughter as saying "our mom's a fucking SP" - I think the circumstances for her saying that were in Leah Remini's book, when Leah somehow ended up in a car at Tom's wedding with Tom's two kids and Leah asked the daughter about Nicole.

I think Marty even confirmed that he was tasked with turning the kids against Nicole. Back before he sold out.

Chris Shelton

Patron with Honors
No doubt the kids said that and no doubt that Marty was tasked with disconnecting those kids by lying to them about Nicole, but neither of those things are the same as Nicole Kidman having a goldenrod issue on her declaring her a suppressive person. Bottom line is that Church policy is clear that if you are a declared SP, you are NOT to be talked to, much less worked with on a TV show. I don't know how much truth there is to "celebrities are always the exception." I think the simplest explanation is the best one here - Nicole was never officially declared, she was just disconnected from by Tom and the kids. When Elizabeth Moss had a career-advancing opportunity come her way, she probably coordinated with the President's Office CCI and was allowed to get the role provided she didn't get up close and personal with Nicole while they shot the show.

Just for some anecdotal evidence, the Church did not initially declare me an SP after they found out I was posting online (here on ESMB in fact). They sat me down and said I was guilty of suppressive acts and that I had to do A-E but I was not going to be declared on goldenrod. I agreed to do the A-E, thinking in my post-cult haze that if I cooperated, they would not enforce disconnection on my then-fiance. I was naive. They did. And I told them to go fuck themselves and only THEN was I declared a suppressive person. Point being that the modern Church is okay with someone in a limbo/gray area state where they are not officially declared but are still considered persona non grata. I think that is where Nicole Kidman is at and she could care less, as her time with the Church is done, but it still allows for professional contacts in the industry to her as it would hurt Scientology celebrity careers if they had to shun every person in Hollywood the Church didn't like. Especially these days. The Church's power in Hollywood is exactly nil now.

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
Anyone who has been deeply involved with the Church eventually learns that nothing is set in stone. Every policy is subject to arbitrary interpretation and reversal from on high. KSW doesn't mean that you be literal, it means that everything be interpreted in a way to benefit the Church and it's leader. It is silly to expect that they are completely unwilling or incapable of conducting some kind of lizard brain risk benefit analysis with SP declares, and declaring high profile celebs most definitely has potential for high risk - something they have seen play out now repeatedly with very severe consequences.

They are also opportunists and infiltrators. I would not be at all surprised if there were a program to get someone close to a celeb who had been alienated to salvage them, neutralize criticism, or just report back on them.

I think they have learned that declaring someone an SP is a double edged sword. Once you declare someone publicly then they are much more inclined to escalate their opposition, outspokenness and tell their full story. I think they are keeping it much more compartmentalized within OSA. In the old days these were distributed to org's, staff, and posted on the bulletin board in the hall and any distribution that reflected poorly on the Church was mostly local and could be relatively controlled. Now every declare has the potential of instant world wide distribution and they embarrassingly read like a bunch of dysfunctional kids who watch a lot of court TV kicking someone out of their tree fort club with grammar and spelling to match.

"SP" is also very loosely used as a derogatory expression in a culture that is saturated with derogatory expressions. For a Scientologist it is almost like calling someone a jerk and I'd expect indoctrinated children to use it even more loosely.

ThetanExterior

Gold Meritorious Patron
I agree that it's unlikely Nicole has been declared. As far as I can tell all she did is walk away from Scientology but kept quiet about the subject.

I was ordered to disconnect from a declared SP and I refused yet I wasn't declared for that. They just refused to give me OT eligibilty. So we had a kind of Mexican standoff for a while until they pissed me off once too often and I left and sued them for the money I had left on my account. THEN they declared me.

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser
Like most " policy " in scn this disconnect thing is flexible as is " SP ".

Not disconnect from a declared SP ? Some may get away it while others can not.

Some people get disconnected from because they " are not moving on the bridge " ! No shit, it has happened.

Same for getting declared, some get declared for something & others not declared for the exact same thing.

As for getting declared, some as just declared on the spot while others have get benefit ( LOL ! ) of policy re declare.