What's new

ESMB Wiki

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
You might have noticed a new tab on the menu bar called "Wiki".

I've just installed an application that allows us to collaborate on projects in the traditional style of a Wiki.

The criminal timeline thread got me thinking about how we could all get together on projects and create something big & useful. The first thing I want to do is to use the wiki to combine all the timelines floating around on the internet and put them in one place.

I'll post more on this later as I'm still fiddling with the application & finding out what it can & can't do. I'm using the free (lite) version at the moment so the functionality is a little bit limited but it will be enough to test whether this will work or not, and whether people are interested in working on it or not.

For now (as it's 2.30am) I'll ask you to not contribute anything yet until I've got it sorted properly & when I'm more awake we can have a brainstorm on how to go about it.

Petey C

Silver Meritorious Patron
Great idea, Emma. For a good, objective timeline, the book Inside Scientology is an excellent source. Though it doesn't deal with the whole subject chronologically, it does set out the main events very well. One difficulty with the "Criminal Timelines" text is that it pursues several strands from various sources and is therefore repetitive. Some of its sources are wrong in relatively minor ways. Just to take the first ED Int appointment, instance, Andre Tabayoyan in his affidavit in the 90s says that Bill Franks was appointed by David Miscavige when he was appointed by Hubbard. The crim timelines notes it was June 1981. Bill Franks's own affidavit says it was late 1979, which is consistent with my experience. But all that aside, the idea of a complete timeline is definitely worth doing. It might be worthwhile running separate continental threads to the same timeline, too.

PD

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
I also want to do a project to bring together the stories here in a way that makes them easy to find. Perhaps an intro and a link to the thread? I was going to do it on my blog here, but the Wiki sounds better.

This is great.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
More thinks..

I see you have 'Fair Game Victims' as a start.

With the stories they could be via area and time, eg Saint Hill, Int, Org, Missions or whatever and also "Escape Stories" for instance.

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
A wiki on Scientology! What a good idea. :biggrin:

Paul

I know it's already been done (and done) but if others are like me, they are too intimidated to contribute to anything on Wikipedia - plus it seems to be quite complicated.

I'd like to see ESMBers *personal* experiences as part of the timeline. Plus using BBcode is a lot easier than using html.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
I know it's already been done (and done) but if others are like me, they are too intimidated to contribute to anything on Wikipedia - plus it seems to be quite complicated.

I'd like to see ESMBers *personal* experiences as part of the timeline. Plus using BBcode is a lot easier than using html.

I was thinking of Scienowiki and not Wikipedia, although it uses the same software. But Scienowiki really hasn't caught on much since 2005, and I would expect the ESMB Wiki to do much better. Good luck :)

Paul

Veda

Sponsor
Great idea, Emma. For a good, objective timeline, the book Inside Scientology is an excellent source. Though it doesn't deal with the whole subject chronologically, it does set out the main events very well. One difficulty with the "Criminal Timelines" text is that it pursues several strands from various sources and is therefore repetitive. Some of its sources are wrong in relatively minor ways. Just to take the first ED Int appointment, instance, Andre Tabayoyan in his affidavit in the 90s says that Bill Franks was appointed by David Miscavige when he was appointed by Hubbard. The crim timelines notes it was June 1981. Bill Franks's own affidavit says it was late 1979, which is consistent with my experience. But all that aside, the idea of a complete timeline is definitely worth doing. It might be worthwhile running separate continental threads to the same timeline, too.

PD

Well, there's definitely a conflict on the date of the appointment of Bill Franks. For me, the 1981 date sounds closest to the mark, but I can't say for sure. There's probably some simple explanation for the confusion, though.

One of the difficulties with time lines is there's so much secrecy and intrigue involved in Scientology.

Bill Franks was appointed by Hubbard (in 1979 or 1981) as Executive Director, but what exactly did that mean?

Bent Corydon was a friend of Bill Franks. The following is an excerpt from the chapter, 'A Reform Movement is Derailed' in 'Messiah or Madman?':

"When... Mary Sue's defense was seen as futile, and the legal heat was becoming directed increasingly at Hubbard himself, Hubbard ordered a 'palace coup' by his 'kids' (his youthful messengers)...

"David Miscavige 'handled' Mary Sue Hubbard and Bill Franks was assigned to 'handle' the head of the Guardian's Office Jane Kember.

"The entire old G.O. was headed for jail. Hubbard ordered his messengers to set up a 'Watchdog Committee'.

"In early 1981 Hubbard also created a new post of Executive Director International. This was announced to be a resumption of the post 'vacated by L. Ron Hubbard in 1966'. The new appointment to Executive Director was Bill Franks...

"It was presented to Franks that he would be assuming all of Hubbard's administrative functions. However, Bill told me years later, after leaving the Church, that he had since concluded that Hubbard set him up in order to help him rid himself and Jane Kember...

"What was actually happening at the time of the mission holders' meeting was that Bill had been 'put in charge' as an additional facade for Hubbard. Bill was supposed to have 'instinctively' understood that he was merely to be window dressing. Hubbard was still in control while operating through new additional facades, consisting of the mysterious WDC and Franks. These fronts were designed to protect Hubbard from criminal prosecution that had already consumed his previous facade, consisting of his wife and her G.O. clique.

"Hubbard had not counted on Bill Franks and the mission holders' backlash reaction against what he [Bill Franks] considered 'G.O. type abuses'.

"Franks naively believed that Hubbard had genuinely stepped down, leaving him in the top spot. Bill's reform efforts were constantly getting derailed by these 'kids' however (secretly implementing Hubbard's intent), so he feared that they would go on to commit crimes similar to the G.O bunch..."

So the mission holders were rebelling, but had no idea that they were rebelling against Hubbard, but Hubbard knew, and reacted fiercely.

L L KLINE

A wiki on Scientology! What a good idea. :biggrin:

Paul
Paul, I think I know you. I think you audited me in 1977 or 78 after I had gone clear and ot 3. My name was Lana Fleming. You audited me in your apartment in Hollywood right across from AOL. You helped me when I had gotten shingles from my deceased Aunt and you helped her and me. Thank you:yes:

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
Wow!

This is a fantastic idea and project!
I like it as it will be very usefull for peope to search datas classified by subjects

:clap:

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Paul, I think I know you. I think you audited me in 1977 or 78 after I had gone clear and ot 3. My name was Lana Fleming. You audited me in your apartment in Hollywood right across from AOL. You helped me when I had gotten shingles from my deceased Aunt and you helped her and me. Thank you:yes:

Sorry Lana, not me. I didn't get to LA until 1986.

Paul

I also want to do a project to bring together the stories here in a way that makes them easy to find. Perhaps an intro and a link to the thread? I was going to do it on my blog here, but the Wiki sounds better.

This is great.

Good idea Free to shine ( like the name! ) I did a lot of lurking around and reading on various sites and forums and on each I would type words like stories and my story into the search because I like reading about peoples experiences ( and so many of them are so similar to my own ) and it is hard to find them all sometimes.

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
Good idea Free to shine ( like the name! ) I did a lot of lurking around and reading on various sites and forums and on each I would type words like stories and my story into the search because I like reading about peoples experiences ( and so many of them are so similar to my own ) and it is hard to find them all sometimes.

@ Builder Bob~

There is much reading here ~ http://alley.ethercat.com/door/index.html ~

A shameless plug for an awesome collection of people's stories, thank you Ethercat!

For those newbies who have arrived recently, please consider taking the time to add to this great collection!

:cheers: