What's new

Even the nicest CofS policies and HCOBs have ulterior motives, BUT...

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
Hey, I'll be the first to admit just about all (or maybe all) policies and a lot of "tech" stuff in CofS have ulterior motives, are two edged swords, are used for and more often against members. So that's a given. No disagreement there.

But, here's the thing. I think there were days when Hubbard was mellower and nicer. I think he had so many mixed motives he couldn't keep 'em all straight. I do not believe he only cared about the power and money but he cared so much about those things that this became what he was best known for and it's probably why he ended up as he did. But, all the same, I give credit where it's due. (I also have a critic friend who once called up a local org and explained that while she couldn't stand them, she thought it was great that they had this Toys for Tots drive. I like the cut of her jib.)

So one thing I've seen a couple people- including those are quite scathing whenever anyone dares to even try using one single gawdamn piece of Scn after leaving CofS because they're just trying to figure out wtf they should do - inveigh against is/are "good roads good weather".

But I think this is one of the few times where Hubbard and the organization actually got it right. Unlike some, I don't consider it to be dishonest or lying. I'm a businesswoman. I see people use it all the time at work. I can't tell you how many conversations I've had or seen where the weather or a new pet or home improvement or a movie is the focus. Or when people say "oh, fine" when asked how they are. It's a great way to communicate with others and maybe even to defray a rather tense situation. That doesn't mean that if one's ironing out a problem one really needs to address with a friend or family member that you just stick to: "oh, I saw Bridesmaids. It was really cute." No.
But there are times when good roads/good weather is a great idea.

One of the few PTS/SP PLs I actually liked (not that they actually abide by it. This IS the group that has many enforced disconnections, blackmail and coercion) is one where Hubbard gives an example of an enthusiastic and tactless newbie Scn'ist saying "I'm trying to confront your horrible bank" then is all amazed when his family doesn't like Scn. He recommends good roads good weather. Well, that makes sense. It's like the adage about discussing religion and politics.

I've also noticed that some of those who disagree with good roads/good weather the most are people who do not like being stood up to or argued with when stuff starts getting all personalized. Consider this: had things been kept good roads/good weather with them, then, well, a certain person maybe wouldn't have the reputation she has with them and with a few (clueless) lurkers, right?

A stopped clock is right twice a day. Sometimes Hubbard hit the nail on the head. That doesn't invalidate our many correct observations about overboarding, children in chain lockers, pushing people into believing they were implanted by Xenu, disconnection, RPF, high prices, Idle Orgs, etc.

... A stopped clock is right twice a day. Sometimes Hubbard hit the nail on the head. ...

Well, as 'revolutionary' a concept it may seem to modern audiences, 'good roads ...' was hardly daring or innovative discovery of LRH. It was simply the common sense application of traditionally taught 'good' manners characteristic of 'good breeding' as expresed for a scientology audience. Similarly with the manners pl. The fact that lrh felt a need to repeat such strictures as 'org policy' says a great deal about how easily such social 'lubricants' evaporate in the face of a perception of a 'need to be right'.

When others question the 'motive' underlying 'good roads ...' I consider it far more revealing of their own characters than of hubbard's. :lol:

Mark A. Baker

Veda

Sponsor
-snip-

overboarding, children in chain lockers, pushing people into believing they were implanted by Xenu, disconnection, RPF, high prices, Idle Orgs, etc.

Well, with "good roads," etc., at least mom and dad or any other "Wogs" or "Homo Saps":eyeroll: won't be hearing about any of that.

Gadfly

Crusader
Well, as 'revolutionary' a concept it may seem to modern audiences, 'good roads ...' was hardly daring or innovative discovery of LRH. It was simply the common sense application of traditionally taught 'good' manners characteristic of 'good breeding' as expresed for a scientology audience. Similarly with the manners pl. The fact that lrh felt a need to repeat such strictures as 'org policy' says a great deal about how easily such social 'lubricants' evaporate in the face of a perception of a 'need to be right'.

When others question the 'motive' underlying 'good roads ...' I consider it far more revealing of their own characters than of hubbard's. :lol:

Mark A. Baker

This is quite true.

Ever heard the maxim, "if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all", or "you get more with sugar than with vinegar"?

People have recognized for centuries that communicating in a kind, non-accusative and friendly manner "works". Hubbard simply restated something that MANY others have recognized earlier. Hubbard put "good roads fair weather" into the context of Scientology ethics were it is used to "control PTS A situations". It is true that with mildly antagonistic people, steering the conversation onto "safe" or "agreeable" topics tends to make them easier to get along with. I do it all of the time as a natural mode of behavior with any person who overreacts or tends towards antagonism.

I have said this before. I only use this sort of "control" with negative, antagonistic or dangerous people. The same with ARC. I have no interest in "manipulating" decent people, with planned manipulative "ARC" or anything else, but dangerous people are another story entirely.

Now, there is no doubt that many people in Scientoogy FIRST came across various ideas through Hubbard, such as this idea, and they incorrectly imagine that Hubbard "created the idea". There is nothing wrong with using parts of Scientology that get good results, but it seems that some or many forget or never learn that others may have come up with the same or similar ideas before Hubbard. :omg:

Veda

Sponsor
Hubbard put "good roads fair weather" into the context of Scientology ethics were it is used to "control PTS A situations". It is true that with mildly antagonistic people, steering the conversation onto "safe" or "agreeable" topics tends to make them easier to get along with.

-snip

I have said this before. I only use this sort of "control" with negative, antagonistic or dangerous people. The same with ARC. I have no interest in "manipulating" decent people, with planned manipulative "ARC" or anything else, but dangerous people are another story entirely.

-snip-

So someone in an abusive totalist mind-control cult writes a "good roads and fair weather" letter to a negative, antagonistic, dangerous person.

What would an abusive totalist mind-control cult regard as a negative, antagonistic, dangerous person?

Gadfly

Crusader
So someone in an abusive totalist mind-control cult writes a "good roads and fair weather" letter to a negative, antagonistic, dangerous person.

What would an abusive totalist mind-control cult regard as a negative, antagonistic, dangerous person?

Um, anyone who doesn't forward the goals and purposes of the group, and who might encourage the person AWAY from the group? :duh:

Of course, within the frameowrk of Scientology "ethics", "good roads fair weather" is just the "first step" in handling the "antogonistic person". If the "antagonistic person" doesn't "get handled" and continues to be "antago", THEN the "gradient" gets heightened to "disconnect".

The notion put forth by Hubbard with "type A" handlings is "handle or disconnect". If the Scio can "control" the antagonistic person with "good roads" and ARC, and otherwise render the person "neutral", then all is fine and well. But, if the "standard handlings" don't "work", then the "disconnect" takes over.

Now, I use it with ANY antagonistic person, and this has NOTHING to do with a Scientology determination of what is "antagonistic". For instance, I have a neighbor who tends to "take things the wrong way", has a "proclivity towards defensive reactions", and who seems to enjoy any excuse to "attack". So, with HIM, I use manipulative ARC and "good roads" by steering the conversation towards subjects that I know he likes (hunting, taxidermy, guns, the cabin he is building, etc.). In other words, I keep it "friendly", about "him" and "his interests", with nothing said that might "rile his feathers". I plan it this way and "it works" very well.

In truth, if I hadn't contacted these ideas in Scientology, I might NEVER have learned these "skills". :confused2:

Veda

Sponsor
-snip-

The notion put forth by Hubbard with "type A" handlings is "handle or disconnect". If the Scio can "control" the antagonistic person with "good roads" and ARC, and otherwise render the person "neutral", then all is fine and well. But, if the "standard handlings" don't "work", then the "disconnect" takes over.

-snip-

Is it really "fine and well"?

The person is still in an abusive totalist mind-control cult, but because he's written a soothing "shore story" to someone, that someone - having been deceived - is no longer "antagonistic."

And isn't writing an insincere and fake letter to someone a kind of disconnection, on a lower gradient?

Sounds like a perversion of the old idea of "good manners," etc.

Gadfly

Crusader
Is it really "fine and well"?

The person is still in an abusive totalist mind-control cult, but because he's written a soothing "shore story" to someone, that someone - having been deceived - is no longer "antagonistic."

And isn't writing an insincere and fake letter to someone a kind of disconnection, on a lower gradient?

Sounds like a perversion of the old idea of "good manners," etc.

Of course, you are right, I was talking about "within the context of the mindless Church of Scientology environment". It is NOT "fine and well", as long as any person is still within the control and oppression of Hubbard's scam. I was simply explaining how it happens in Scientology - not that I endorse it in any way. :no:

It IS a perversion of the idea of good manners, and as we well know, EVERYTHING IN SCIENTOLOGY is interpreted ONLY along the lines of "does it help expand the Church of Scientology or not"? Hubbard tacked onto his subject all these various "good ideas", such as "basics of General Semantics" (the Data Series"), and this example of "good roads fair weather", and USED THEM in a different way to support and further his mind control operation. I find that even though some of these ideas can be used OUTSIDE of the framework of Scientology, and to sometimes positive results (since the primary goals of "helping Scientology" has been REMOVED), that is incidental to Hubbard's original intention to use these various add-ons in some specialized way to HELP SUPPORT SCIENTOLOGY.

It is like that with Scn ethics. If one takes the idea of the condition formulas, and strips away ALL ideas related to "helping Scentology", THEN and ONLY THEN can they have some value or use. It is like that with many ideas in Scientology.

Hubbard took some basically wonderful ideas from Korzybski, and altered them to fit within the framework of "helping Scientology succeed". One can take the same ideas, and strip out the dumbass notions of evaluations and ideal scenes, get back to the basics of Korzybski, and use these ideas to remove nonsense from any person's mental framework of ideas and concepts (abstractions).

A major problem with how Scientology had been developed by Hubbard is that EVERY ADDED TOOL that he borrowed from anywhere else has been modified to "help Scientology succeed above all else". THAT is what renders so many of the "other ideas" as stupid. If all of the 3D Scientology group goals are removed, then some of the ideas can be of value.

For example, if anyone reads the list of "suppressive acts", which is supposed to be some grand list of the most basic types of "high crimes" in the entire universe, it doesn't take a genius to notice that MANY of these have to do with ANY actions that hurt Scientology or Hubbard in some way. Again, justice is defined along the lines of "what will help Scientology succeed"? It is THAT twist that is put onto so many things in Scientology that renders so many possibly decent ideas (whether stolen from elsewhere or not) just plain ROTTEN.

As a drill, if any person doubts this, go through the lists of crimes and high crimes, and cross out any that have to do with harming Scientology in some way. There isn't much left after that, because Hubbard set the whole operation to flow power and wealth to himself (through Scientology).

"Good roads and fair weather" is nothing new, and sensible at times.
Overusing it makes a person a spineless amoeba or a suffocating arsehole.

Veda

Sponsor
From FTS's 'What is Disconnection really like?' thread:

Disconnection is about the most insidious and destructive thing that results from scientology.... a silent and malevolent force within a family or friends that demands continuing silence even if disconnection has happened.

Very few of us can speak out and name names and events or describe the feelings involved in other than very general terms, I know I can't. This is to protect those that are still bound in the cocoon of control, unable to see beyond it to the vast and obvious truths of life available to those of us outside it, and this is also a choice that demands a large price.

To be totally rejected as a person is a huge personal issue to handle, and for parents it is one of the ultimate challenges. Yes children can disappear into the sunset or choose to leave in other circumstances, scientology is not the only reason. It is however responsible for the most gut wrenching grief to too many, the silent cries of mothers and fathers who are denied access or contact with their children simply because they disagree and will not toe the line that scientology dictates. Thousands and thousands and thousands of us!

Oh my goodness, what courage it takes to stand in your own integrity and be punished for it, surely one of the hardest lessons life can give us. I know too many, those who can't post about it, who can't talk about it and have to bear this burden alone.

All I think we can do for the silent ones is to try and be there on an individual basis, to realise that the generalised comments on disconnection threads often hide a greater distress than is easily described.

For those who do Good Roads the situation is very similar. I did it for a decade until it became bile in my throat to utter the jargon that was the key to communication. Apparently. Of course it's not, how can you have a real relationship when that means you also have to accept the judgement of that family member because you have an illness or life event that makes you unworthy of "salvation" unless you pay through the nose for it and shut your mouth? How can you really even have a conversation when you mentally edit your words before they come out, or fear a confidence will be reported? Disconnection looms overhead all the time you try and be polite and not rock the boat, it's like an inevitable weight above your head to be dropped at the slighest misstep, ghastly stuff.

Disconnection IS policy of scientology and anyone who has ever had anything to do with the subject knows that, including the ex wives on CNN, the deluded bastards who spout the lies to the media, and each and every scientologist who fears to speak because of the consequences. Until the full extent of scientology's crimes is part of folklore, let's do our best to support the disconnected ones. If you know someone who is part of it, keep in touch, remind them they are not to blame and that we really, really need to be kind to ourselves.

Great post FTS,

You are right about this being one of the most abominable practices of the "church."

I also have family inside so I know very well what you're talking about. Fair roads good weather "tech" makes me puke!
TP

I've had to think long and hard since this thread was started on 'What is disconnection really like'.

It's not that I'm not experiencing this suppressive act by the Church every day because I am, I live with it constantly my daughter is never far from my thoughts, she's in my mind and no matter how pissed off I get I always come back to ... she's a part of me and we have a connection.

So really with disconnection I find I can't disconnect from the Church. I'm connected because of disconnection. I find I'm diving back into the Cult mindset every time I have a thought about my girl and what the Cult has done to her and to us her family.

It's an insidious form of mind control when you don't want to be part of the Cult anymore. Hubbard was clever in this way as you just can't step away and say I'm out of here and get on with your life. You are still in there fighting the fight to maintain or regain that line with your love ones.

Disconnection is so destructive and it's starts as soon as you step into the Church. You start to disconnect from real life, family, friends, work colleagues etc. They become unreal and you become all knowing, you get locked into thought patterns that are so far removed from normal life that you feel different and then you no longer can relate to people you have known all your life, so you don't go home and engage with them, you find you can't talk in normal terms that family and their lives are not important and that you are more important, cause you have the answers and are ALL KNOWING.

So one day you start to wake and you realise that you as an individual have been put to sleep by the Church, you don't know who you really are anymore. However, you know you don't want to be the thing you have become, a robot and push button machine with no feelings. You want to break free, you want to love and be loved, you want to live and love life, you want time to think for yourself... you want to be you again.

When that day comes you know the ultimate disconnection will come calling. The disconnection that will cut lines to family and friends that are still connected to the Church and really there are a lot of people who only family and friends are in the Church. Fortunately for me this was not the case. When the day came that I/we decided to demand our young daughter from the SO knowing full well that my daughter in the US and my connection with her would be damaged, we had to make a choice, salvage one daughter and forsake the other. This was a tough call and one I did not make lightly however knowing the condition of our girl here in ANZO we made our choice and I have only one regret that I couldn't get my other daughter out as well.

Then the Church brings out their 'weapons of control' to get you to pull into line and disconnection is the ultimate weapon for family. It is destructive to both parties it is soul destroying and at times you feel helpless and knowing the only winner is the Cult.

I watch with interest as the walls of the Cult start to crumble. Then sometime in the future we can all be connected back with family and friends.

ClamSource

Patron with Honors
When you can't share anything meaningful with a person, but only the emptiest trivialities, you're half way towards not having a relationship with them at all. "Good roads good weather" is a quasi-disconnection, a stepping stone to full blown disconnection.

Gadfly

Crusader
When you can't share anything meaningful with a person, but only the emptiest trivialities, you're half way towards not having a relationship with them at all. "Good roads good weather" is a quasi-disconnection, a stepping stone to full blown disconnection.

What is wrong with "good roads fair weather" is just like what is wrong with so much else in Scientology - it is CONTRIVED. It is phony and not genuine. It is intentionally manipulative, being not based on ACTUAL feelings and thoughts. It involves actions designed to mislead and control. The behavior is based on LIES - just like so much of Scientology.

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
Well, with "good roads," etc., at least mom and dad or any other "Wogs" or "Homo Saps":eyeroll: won't be hearing about any of that.

I think that if one is going to be doing Scn and one has parents or friends who may not like it, it probably is better to not whap people in the face with comments like "I'm trying to confront your horrible bank."

So he's got it right, there. However, covering up crimes the cult commits is never ok.

And, as I said, those who screamed loudest about good roads good weather just couldn't deal with my frankly answering their ad hominem attacks. Don't you find that ironic? I do.

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill

It has its place. I know people who have truly toxic parents or coworkers, yet they're stuck with 'em. There are times when that approach is good. As I said, it's not a substitute for real communication. But there are times when such is not an option.

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill

Mark A. Baker

As I said, the policies and bulletins of CofS and Hubbard's motives definitely are often used against people. In fact, I'd say that in the cult, this is the norm rather than the exception.

But just as what it is, intrinsically, the actual concept of good roads good weather is not bad. It is what it is.

Captain Koolaid

Patron Meritorious
Hubbard was manipulative, dishonest, petulant, ruthless and vengeful long before Dianetics. I doubt that he ever had idealistic or altruistic motives. Yes, LRH used to be mellow once, before he learned to walk.

I'm not trying to be antagonistic, but you can't argue with facts. If people want to use some tech because they find it helpful, that's fine. But as mentioned before, those things were most likely not originated by Hubbard. Trying to find some golden nuggets in a steaming heap of toxic goo is merely an attempt to convince oneself that all the money, time and effort was not entirely wasted. That might sound condescending from soimeone who was never involved, but I don't mean it that way. Trying to justify past mistakes (whether completely or to a point) is only human.

Just as some argue that the tech has value there are those who condemn it completely. Both opinions are valid, IMO.

Cat's Squirrel

Gold Meritorious Patron
OK, Captain Koolaid, Veda et al.; so it's all a heap of "toxic goo." A question;

What do you say to your average poster on John Nunez's pro-LRH forum, who's convinced he's getting gains from the Tech and / or is using the Tech to help others? Ralph, Dexter et al.?

Come to think of it, what would you say to John himself, if you knew he wouldn't ban you for it?

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
Well, I know that I've said in the past that ideas can be separated out, etc. And I know that not everyone agrees. I was talking to some people at Pooks' party about that, in fact. And I didn't really debate the issue with them or anything, cuz I could tell they didn't really want to hear it.

But honestly, the purpose of this thread isn't about that. It probably looks like I'm beating that drum again, though. If so, that's due to my own failures in the wondrous field of communication, I'm sure.

I just have been reminded of a couple people who vociferously deride and denigrate the good roads good weather thing when, in fact, if the cult had done a fuckton more of that, we'd not have the shit we see now (and have seen for DECADES). There'd not be an ESMB, a.r.s., WWP, OCMB...

Captain Koolaid

Patron Meritorious
OK, Captain Koolaid, Veda et al.; so it's all a heap of "toxic goo." A question;

What do you say to your average poster on John Nunez's pro-LRH forum, who's convinced he's getting gains from the Tech and / or is using the Tech to help others? Ralph, Dexter et al.?

Come to think of it, what would you say to John himself, if you knew he wouldn't ban you for it?

The question is irrelevant. This is an open forum where everybody can state their opinion. Everybody is free to agree or disagree with mine. If Claire opens a thread here, I'm sure she doesn't expect everybody to give theta replies, as she knows this is ESMB and not Martworld. Those who post on pro-LRH forums are not interested in open discussions, so what would be the point telling them something they don't want to hear? Peace.

Gadfly

Crusader
Well, I know that I've said in the past that ideas can be separated out, etc. And I know that not everyone agrees. I was talking to some people at Pooks' party about that, in fact. And I didn't really debate the issue with them or anything, cuz I could tell they didn't really want to hear it.

But honestly, the purpose of this thread isn't about that. It probably looks like I'm beating that drum again, though. If so, that's due to my own failures in the wondrous field of communication, I'm sure.

I just have been reminded of a couple people who vociferously deride and denigrate the good roads good weather thing when, in fact, if the cult had done a fuckton more of that, we'd not have the shit we see now (and have seen for DECADES). There'd not be an ESMB, a.r.s., WWP, OCMB...

Actually, I think you would have seen exactly the same "shit we see now", and even MORE of this shit.

There is a specific context that "good roads fair weather" is ALWAYS applied in Scientology. It is to "handle" some person who doesn't like something about Scientology. It has to do with a "PTS Type A" handling. THAT is the context. "PTS Type A" is a specific situation where the Scientologist has some person on his lines (family, friend, etc.) who is "antagonistic" towards the Scientologist, and this usually involves something about Scientology.

The ONLY reason someone would apply "good roads fair weather" is to "handle" some person who is/was antagonistic to something about Scientology. The idea of "good roads fair weather" NEVER implied that Scientology should or would change a damn thing about what they do and how they do it. The view has always been thay Scientology is always right and beyond reproach, and that ANY AND ALL ANTAGONISM is UNWARRANTED, UNJUSTIFIED and probably BASED ON OVERTS. THAT is more of the CONTEXT where and when one used this little piece of "tech" called "good roads fair weather" (GRFW).

The context is ALWAYS that Scientology is going to keep doing what it does, and that some person needs to PR the antagonistic person who doesn't LIKE something about what Scientology does. "Good roads fair weather" is a consciously applied PR gimmick to manipulate some person to take attention OFF of what he or she finds wrong with Scientology.

If Scientology applied MORE "good roads fair weather", it only means that they would have pulled MORE wool over MORE people's eyes through the use of manipulative "good roads fair weather".

"Good roads fair weather" involves calming down some negative or antagonistic person. This might make sense if you were suddenly accosted by a robber or mugger. But, when it involves a deceptive cult like the Church of Scientology, it makes no sense, because the Church will use "good roads fair weather" to PR people into liking them or getting along with them WHILE THEY STILL LIE, COMMIT ATROCITIES, ATTACK INNOCENT PEOPLE, and on and on and on.

If the cult had done a "fuckton more of that", as you say Fluffy, it ONLY means that they would have succeeded at MORE BULLSHIT PR.

It seems that you assume that "good roads fair weather" means also being a "decent person" or "decent group". It has NOTHING to do with how decent any person is or isn't. A rotten scumbag can use "good roads fair weather" to hide nasty behaviors behind a veneer of "fake good manners".

As I said, as I see it, my ONLY use for "good roads fair weather" is with nasty or destructive people, who MUST be controlled by me, sometimes FAST, or my very life might be in danger. Otherwise, I am just "nice and decent" to people in general, NOT as some application of GRFW, but simply as a way to be.

"Good roads fair weather" exists within the framework of Scientology ethics. THAT is the EXACT context. It has no other context. It is designed to handle "other-intention" or "counter-intention" to Scientology goals and Scientologists. THAT is how Hubbard designed it to be used.

Please realize that it is ALWAYS used as a contrived form of ARC where some person is trying to "smooth the ruffles" or "direct attention away from something the user of the GRFW doesn't want attention directed at". I am just saying that I find NO decent use for it, since it always involves some form of deception, except when handling somebody who might be a threat or danger to me - and it THAT case, where I am at risk, I will happily deceive and manipulative some idiot if it prevents damage to me. For example, I used to apply PR, ARC and "good roads fair weather" TO Sea Org members and staff, to keep them FAR AWAY from me! :thumbsup:

Realize also that the Church and Hubbard, based on the exact policies on this, view ANY antagonistic person as a POTENTIAL source of trouble (threat, danger) to Scientology. THAT IS the context. Always. The problem is that anytime ANY Scientologist uses it (GRFW), it is to maintain allegiance to the destructive cult through tricking, lying to or deceiving some (legimately) antagonistic person into believing otherwise. See, if a Type A antagonist IS HANDLED, through the use of "GRFW", it means that the Church has been successful in taking attention AWAY from (valid) criticisms, (justified) antagonism, or "well-warranted" attacks.

"Good roads fair weather" IS a useful tool that can address and handle antagonism. It depends entirely on WHO is using it, because it ALWAYS involves deceiving, manipulating and contriving about "reality". Always.

I remember getting coached on a few "PTS Type A" handlings in HCO, and I always knew that to do so, I would have to lie, create a picture of reality that wasn't true, and manipulate perceptions of the "antagonistic person' (my mother, my father, my brother, some friends, etc).

Like some other pieces of the "tech", they CANNOT EVER be used in a decent way within the confines of the Church of Scientology. Granted, taken FULLY OUT of THAT context, then they MIGHT have some possible use in certain situations.

There is no way the Church of Scientology EVER could have become "better", "kinder" or "gentler" by applying "GRFW" more. Because, in the end, it will always be applied to address and handle any antagonism to their dumbass goals and purposes (making OTs, clearing the planet, taking over planet Earth, etc.).

Last edited: