What's new

Events - Misery 8 Times Yearly

Being a public I always hated events. It was so annoying to be reconfirmed 20 times. I never missed an event that I committed to and I never changed my mind if I had something else I committed to. I remember one time when a staff was trying to get me to the New Year's event. I told her that we always spend New Years with my family. She told me, "Oh your family will understand, just spend the next day with them." I told her that I didn't care whether they would understand or not, my family is very important to me and I was not changing my plans. She then started to tell me how important her family was to her, blah, blah blah. I told her my not going to the event was about me, not her.

My husband and I would always fight on the way in and the way out of events. The events totally keyed me in. I was always looked at as the "Why". Why he did not join staff, why he did not donate more money, why he was not on course full time.

I always thought that I hated groups and the events reconfirmed that belief. It was not until I started in my current business where I had to attend seminars that my attitude changed. I would be at a seminar with 300 people and love it. I could not think of any place I would rather be. It made me look at my reactions to attending events. After that I had no problem saying "No" to events.

Giuseppe

Patron with Honors
Those doctored photos are hilarious. How many duplicates of people could be in one place. :roflmao:

Giuseppe can see Giuseppe's mom, and she is in the hundreds! Too bad Giuseppe's mom doesn't see it! She has been cloned! Didn;t she see 'The Sixth Day????' 'Clonus"? 'Clone" - 'The Island???' she doesn't grasp the concept of cloning.

Giuseepes mom: Starrate checkout, M2 for "Death of Dolly":

"On Friday February 14, 2003, Dolly was euthanised because of a progressive lung disease.[10] A Finn Dorset such as Dolly has a life expectancy of around 12 to 15 years, but Dolly lived to be only six years of age. An autopsy showed she had a form of lung cancer called Jaagsiekte that is a fairly common disease of sheep and is caused by the retrovirus JSRV.[11] Roslin scientists stated that they did not think there was a connection with Dolly's being a clone, and that other sheep in the same flock had died of the same disease.[10] Such lung diseases are a particular danger for sheep kept indoors, and Dolly had to sleep inside for security reasons.

However, some believe a contributing factor to Dolly's death was that she could have been born with a genetic age of 6 years, the same age the sheep from which she was cloned. One basis for this idea was the finding that Dolly's telomeres were short, which typically is a result of the aging process.[12][13] However, the Roslin Institute have stated that intensive health screening did not reveal any abnormalities in Dolly that could have come from advanced aging."

Thank you!

barky

Patron with Honors
Some of my first critical thoughts came into my head at Scientology events. I'd think: If we're really doing that much, why hasn't anyone I know outside of CoS heard of Scientology? Shouldn't we have taken over the world by now?

Yeah, I remember that. The big graphics of "best ever" stats on the LRH Birthday events was the biggest flub. If they had kept doubling all those stats for all those years, there would be thousands of active Scientologists on lines every day.

Some say that a lie, repeated often enough, is considered to be true. I say that a lie, repeated often enough, is only more glaringly a lie.

SabinaM

Patron
Yeah, I remember that. The big graphics of "best ever" stats on the LRH Birthday events was the biggest flub. If they had kept doubling all those stats for all those years, there would be thousands of active Scientologists on lines every day.

I noticed this too. When I was a kid I'd think maybe the awesome stats didn't apply to Australia, but as I got older it got more and more obvious that the same contraction was happening all over the world. When I joined staff my org was a third of the size it was when my parents were there a decade earlier. It just didn't add up.

I think everyone knows this, or at least suspects it, but if they spoke out about it they'd get into an endless ethics cycle.

GreyLensman

Silver Meritorious Patron
In the late 70's Diana Hubbard Horwich was the face on a program to clear the planet in five years. I remember her coming into the org and meeting briefly with the execs, saying hello. Then at the event. Back then they were productions, but not like the WOW - POW-ZAP!!!! video crap we get these days - more like a well-orchestrated play.

I also recall that they only lightly regged at these - there was a new product or 2, but the point seemed to be more to energize and re-enthuse the public and staff as a group.

I remember thinking that this would be so cool. Wow, five years, that's not too long. . . I had only been a Scientologist for a couple of years and staff for much of that. This was new to me. Like a used car is "New to You!"

She (Diana) was promoting an album at the time, maybe not at that event (that would be tacky and we know the Church is never tacky...) - piano work, actually I found it rather pretty, worth listening to. I never connected it.

Five years later the grind hadn't changed a bit, except to get more diffiCULT.

GreyLensman

What gets me is that they duplicated them so close together. Having the same bald guy sitting a few seats apart from himself is just way too obvious. :eyeroll:

You get what you pay for... Some poor sap was probably told to get his product, he/she asked for photoshop, was upbraided for "Having to have before he could do" thus reversing LRH intention and be-do-have, and tried his best in Microsoft Paint...:thumbsup: :omg:

m-face

I was always on Kids room duty, which I actually didnt mind. I preferred it to the events, I would fall asleep (too many MU's OH NO!:omg: ) or try to exscape in the shadows to "go to the bathroom"

Neo

Giuseppe can see Giuseppe's mom, and she is in the hundreds! Too bad Giuseppe's mom doesn't see it! She has been cloned! Didn;t she see 'The Sixth Day????' 'Clonus"? 'Clone" - 'The Island???' she doesn't grasp the concept of cloning.

So this is the Co$'s new approach to expansion - cloning :omg:

Neo

I was always on Kids room duty, which I actually didnt mind. I preferred it to the events, I would fall asleep (too many MU's OH NO!:omg: ) or try to exscape in the shadows to "go to the bathroom"

And probably a lot more fun than 3 hours of DM :yes:

Welcome to the board m-face, good to have you here :D

sallydannce

Gold Meritorious Patron
The only successful way I got through events was to stay totally focussed on what might be on offer for supper. Sometimes there were really nice sandwiches! For free too! Oh, not free - always had to buy the latest release so sandwiches not free. Damn I just broke my own heart working that out about the sandwiches. :ohmy:

Neo

The only successful way I got through events was to stay totally focussed on what might be on offer for supper. Sometimes there were really nice sandwiches! For free too! Oh, not free - always had to buy the latest release so sandwiches not free. Damn I just broke my own heart working that out about the sandwiches. :ohmy:

Nothings free in the Co$, sallydance.

Would you like some Source with those sandwiches? :p

Little Bear Victor

Nothing much to say about this today, although I should probably tell about the horror stories that go on preparing for the events at Int. I'll skip it for now.

The "biggest event on history," the War is Over IRS win was at the LA Sports Arena, yes. I remember the attendance figure to have been 12,000-12,500. A good 40% or more would have been staff.

I usually enjoyed the events themselves, for they were the "fruits of our labor" and the only time you got pumped up about the "massive worldwide expansion of Scientology" that you never heard anything about at any other point in time. And a sorely needed break, even if brief, from the usual flat-out hellish production demand and continuous flaps. But towards the end of every event any enthusiasm sort of died down, as you knew that you had to go and try "hard sell" people to buy the latest release item to recoup the investment. Hard to imagine anyone enjoyed that part, especially since most of the public knew to get out of there rather than going to the post-event sales/reg drill. You had more staff than public there every time.

Wisened One

Crusader
I sooo hear ya, girl! We were Starving Staff, and we looked forward to EATING that food, too. (Oh but only after finding all the New People-hubby and I were Div 6'ers-from the Event and get them on service first, etc..sigh).

Thrak

Gold Meritorious Patron
SCN is so doomed! They've made the thing about as fun as colon cancer. And they wonder "where is everybody?"

Div6

Crusader
Here's how jaded I was: For the big events we would rent space in Hotels. The Hotels would cater, and that is where their money was. I would always negotiate that the hotel would provide at least 2 hotel rooms with our contract. 1 was in case the Int speakers needed a private space, or an extra came, etc. The other was for ME. Once the public were in the hall and the event was under way, I would retire to a nice clean, quite hotel room and zonk out for a well deserved rest.....

Good twin

Floater
Nothing much to say about this today, although I should probably tell about the horror stories that go on preparing for the events at Int. I'll skip it for now.

The "biggest event on history," the War is Over IRS win was at the LA Sports Arena, yes. I remember the attendance figure to have been 12,000-12,500. A good 40% or more would have been staff.

I usually enjoyed the events themselves, for they were the "fruits of our labor" and the only time you got pumped up about the "massive worldwide expansion of Scientology" that you never heard anything about at any other point in time. And a sorely needed break, even if brief, from the usual flat-out hellish production demand and continuous flaps. But towards the end of every event any enthusiasm sort of died down, as you knew that you had to go and try "hard sell" people to buy the latest release item to recoup the investment. Hard to imagine anyone enjoyed that part, especially since most of the public knew to get out of there rather than going to the post-event sales/reg drill. You had more staff than public there every time.

Was The War is Over bigger then the Millenium New Years event?

Good twin

Floater
Here's how jaded I was: For the big events we would rent space in Hotels. The Hotels would cater, and that is where their money was. I would always negotiate that the hotel would provide at least 2 hotel rooms with our contract. 1 was in case the Int speakers needed a private space, or an extra came, etc. The other was for ME. Once the public were in the hall and the event was under way, I would retire to a nice clean, quite hotel room and zonk out for a well deserved rest.....

OMG Div6 that is totally brilliant. Wish I had thought of that!