What's new

Ever meet a Bodhisattva?

Veda

Sponsor
9f04aaf9cd593c433b4b3c6278af148f.jpg

Would you like to be one someday?

A Bodhisattva: "An enlightened being who comes to Earth to help others attain enlightenment."

Was Mr. Rogers, an educator and American TV children's show host, a Bodhisattva?

Cat's Squirrel

Gold Meritorious Patron
Actually,
The best I can achieve is to be the I am in the PT"

:oops:

I agree Lotus. Christians would say that the correct response to a question like this is to let God decide what He (or She) wants you to be, whether a Bodhisattva or something else, rather than to assume some sort of exalted spiritual status for oneself which smacks of egotism and trying to set oneself above the common herd or hoi polloi.

I think a lot of people get bent out of shape trying to be saints - they think it's something they should aspire to (and maybe they're right), but they then push down and repress anything about themselves which isn't saintly, and give themselves big problems as a consequence because they haven't embraced their "shadow" and integrated it. Scientology wasn't big on this (as you may have noticed).

In the end all labels, even (or especially) spiritual ones weigh us down.

P.S. Haven't we seen this thread before (and recently)?

ThetanExterior

Gold Meritorious Patron
Actually,
The best I can achieve is to be the I am in the PT"

:oops:
Yes. I am planning on moving to a smaller house so I'm getting rid of lots of stuff I've accumulated over the years and the biggest problem is the number of books I have.

As I go through my bookcases and pick books to go to the charity shop I have been surprised at the number of books I have on "alternative" stuff like astral travel, self hypnosis, mindfulness and so on. I have literally hundreds of them. And have they helped me to be an enlightened being?

No.

Xenu Xenu Xenu

Patron Meritorious
9f04aaf9cd593c433b4b3c6278af148f.jpg

Would you like to be one someday?

A Bodhisattva: "An enlightened being who comes to Earth to help others attain enlightenment."

Was Mr. Rogers, an educator and American TV children's show host, a Bodhisattva?

Would I like to be one someday?

Hubbard said a lot of things about "being something", not to mention "doing" and "having" but let us just forget about that asshole for now.

I used to want to be a lot of things such as: a cool dude, a wonderful guy, a hero, a smart guy, James Bond, always infallible, brave, a man of wealth and taste, a nice guy, a good guy, and the list goes on and on.

These days I am not so sure of a lot of things. I wouldn't mind being a "Gentleman" though. That appeals to me but it is easier said than done. A real gentleman would probably treat all people with a degree of fairness even if he didn't like some of those people. My father was a real gentleman in the true sense of the word.

There aren't enough gentlemen and gentlewomen in this world. We could use more of it.

JackStraw

Silver Meritorious Patron
Would I like to be one someday?

Hubbard said a lot of things about "being something", not to mention "doing" and "having" but let us just forget about that asshole for now.

I used to want to be a lot of things such as: a cool dude, a wonderful guy, a hero, a smart guy, James Bond, always infallible, brave, a man of wealth and taste, a nice guy, a good guy, and the list goes on and on.

These days I am not so sure of a lot of things. I wouldn't mind being a "Gentleman" though. That appeals to me but it is easier said than done. A real gentleman would probably treat all people with a degree of fairness even if he didn't like some of those people. My father was a real gentleman in the true sense of the word.

There aren't enough gentlemen and gentlewomen in this world. We could use more of it.
I keep it simple: When I grow up, I want to be old.

Jack

Veda

Sponsor
This is terrible to do to Mr. Rogers (America's Bodhisattva), but here's a bit of classic SCTV featuring beloved children's show host Mr. Rogers boxing beloved cooking show host Julia Child.

rogers_julia.jpg

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
I agree Lotus. Christians would say that the correct response to a question like this is to let God decide what He (or She) wants you to be, whether a Bodhisattva or something else, rather than to assume some sort of exalted spiritual status for oneself which smacks of egotism and trying to set oneself above the common herd or hoi polloi.

I think a lot of people get bent out of shape trying to be saints - they think it's something they should aspire to (and maybe they're right), but they then push down and repress anything about themselves which isn't saintly, and give themselves big problems as a consequence because they haven't embraced their "shadow" and integrated it. Scientology wasn't big on this (as you may have noticed).

In the end all labels, even (or especially) spiritual ones weigh us down.

P.S. Haven't we seen this thread before (and recently)?
Agree.
I think the bigger achievement is to succeed to be who we are..perfectly imperfect.
When we love who we are we can love spouse, kids, colleagues and be more tolerant.

IMO, all the new age, psycho-pop and cults are based on work, steps, techniques to "improve" who we are , which means we are not fine.

Seeing the wisdom of the sage may point into a direction, for walking the path..like a light in our journey to celebrate who we are and not take us too seriously.

For example: Being genuine and do you very best in socializing, like on a message board. Just do your very best.

:)

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
I
Yes. I am planning on moving to a smaller house so I'm getting rid of lots of stuff I've accumulated over the years and the biggest problem is the number of books I have.

As I go through my bookcases and pick books to go to the charity shop I have been surprised at the number of books I have on "alternative" stuff like astral travel, self hypnosis, mindfulness and so on. I have literally hundreds of them. And have they helped me to be an enlightened being?

No.

I am actually encountering the same challenge.
I think in my situation it is related to a belief that books contains truth and wisdom I need.:oops:

The clothes and shoes sits are almost resolved ( I am a women lol)
But books..jeez, it's painful.

I give away +or- 10 at the time.

Isn't it stoopid to dust away week after week the same objects we don't use neither need???

I know I would feel lighter if I give away many stuff I don't need.

Tanchi

Patron with Honors
I am actually encountering the same challenge.
I think in my situation it is related to a belief that books contains truth and wisdom I need.:oops:

The clothes and shoes sits are almost resolved ( I am a women lol)
But books..jeez, it's painful.

I give away +or- 10 at the time.

Isn't it stoopid to dust away week after week the same objects we don't use neither need???

I know I would feel lighter if I give away many stuff I don't need.

You won't believe how much lighter you will feel.

ThetanExterior

Gold Meritorious Patron
Absoluetly; each time I clean it's like getting rid of a big load on my shoulders.

The author Dominique Loreau wrote many books, (a few of them translated in english) on the art of living with less stuff and cleaning the unnecessary.

https://www.bookdepository.com/author/Dominique-Loreau
I'm having a great time getting rid of stuff. Apart from the hundreds of books I've donated to charity shops I'm also getting rid of 20 or 30 paintings, several bookcases and big items of furniture, clothes, guitars and all kinds of small items.

And I'm not focusing on getting money for these items. I'm happy to give most of them to charity. So I have the "feel good factor" from getting rid of stuff and also from donating to charity. It's win win for me at the moment.