What's new

Ex-Scientologist Paul Haggis feels targeted

Operating DB

Truman Show Dropout
Link:
http://wonderwall.msn.com/movies/tr...rector-alleges-garbage-snooping-1661709.story

Wonderwall, Friday, January 13, 2012, 10:32am (PST)

It's been more than two years since "Crash" director Paul Haggis left the celebrity-packed Church of Scientology, in part over its stance on gay marriage, but he believes the notoriously touchy organization is still keeping tabs on him.

"There are private eyes going through my trash," Haggis, 58, tells the New York Post. "But only the paper is missing. Well, only paper I write on."

And Haggis, whose resignation from the church was the subject of a fascinating, in-depth New Yorker profile last year, doesn't think the L. Ron Hubbard-devoted powers-that-be are going to forget about him anytime soon.

"They're in it for the long haul," the filmmaker explained while making the rounds as part of his longtime charity work in Haiti. But, he's quick to point out, "I am not on a crusade to discredit Scientology."

A Scientology spokesman tells the paper that the trash allegations are "ridiculous."

Well, maybe not that ridiculous. After all, the organization, which counts Tom Cruise, John Travolta and Kirstie Alley among its decades-long devotees, does seem to have a history of using similar tactics.

Back in 1979, documents seized by the FBI (via the Associated Press) detailed a Scientology plot called "Operation Freakout" that was designed to disgrace author Paulette Cooper, who'd written a book critical of the church.

One method purportedly employed against Cooper involved stealing stationary from her apartment and using it to send bomb threats (read more about her here).

But Haggis doesn't seem to have any regrets about his departure, and he says many former Scientologists have expressed their appreciation for his candor about his experience.

"I've had people who were in Sea Org [an elite church group in which members take a "one-billion-year pledge to symbolize their commitment"] and major donors say, 'Thank you,'" Haggis shared with the Post. "Or, 'I was a member of the church till they found out I was gay.'"

Plus, it's not as though Haggis was unaware of the risks when he left the church.

"My bet is that, within two years, you're going to read something about me in a scandal that looks like it has nothing to do with the church," he told the New Yorker. "I was in a cult for thirty-four years. Everyone else could see it. I don't know why I couldn't."

Lulu Belle

Moonbat
paranoia.jpg

GreyLensman

Silver Meritorious Patron
Link:
http://wonderwall.msn.com/movies/tr...rector-alleges-garbage-snooping-1661709.story

Wonderwall, Friday, January 13, 2012, 10:32am (PST)

It's been more than two years since "Crash" director Paul Haggis left the celebrity-packed Church of Scientology, in part over its stance on gay marriage, but he believes the notoriously touchy organization is still keeping tabs on him.

"There are private eyes going through my trash," Haggis, 58, tells the New York Post. "But only the paper is missing. Well, only paper I write on."

And Haggis, whose resignation from the church was the subject of a fascinating, in-depth New Yorker profile last year, doesn't think the L. Ron Hubbard-devoted powers-that-be are going to forget about him anytime soon.

"They're in it for the long haul," the filmmaker explained while making the rounds as part of his longtime charity work in Haiti. But, he's quick to point out, "I am not on a crusade to discredit Scientology."

A Scientology spokesman tells the paper that the trash allegations are "ridiculous."

The allegations are not ridiculous - the actions of OSA are ridiculous. You know they are required by policy written in rage by a paranoid aging founder to find and go through each and every bag placed on the street.

SchwimmelPuckel

Genuine Meatball
Link:

<snip: Quoting Paul Haggis>But, he's quick to point out, "I am not on a crusade to discredit Scientology." <snip>
Well, OSA seem to think so.. And that may be the most sensible 'risk assesment' that OSA ever made! It's perfectly logical, which IS quite unusual for Scientologists of any stripe. - A lot of EX scientologists ARE on precisely such a crusade.. For some reason or other...

May I suggest that Paul Haggis join us? - We need to BURY the Swindeling Sinister Scam Cult of Scientology! - To protect public mental health!

:yes:

SchwimmelPuckel

Genuine Meatball
Link:

<snip> It's been more than two years since "Crash" director Paul Haggis left the celebrity-packed Church of Scientology, <snip>
And I really wish that reporters would quit giving the Sinister Scam Cult of Scientology free positive advertising like this!

They could say: 'the surveillance, spying and security crazed Church of Scientology' instead.

'Celebrity-packed'! - My ass!! - Besides, the few celebrities there seems to be 'packing' and leaving like yea' can't see their ass's for all them footsoles!

Last edited:

Lulu Belle

Moonbat
And I really wish that reporters would quit giving the Sinister Scam Cult of Scientology free positive advertising like this!

They couls say: 'the surveillance, spying and security crazed Church of Scientology' instead.

'Celebrity-packed'! - My ass!! - Besides, the few celebrities there seems to be 'packing' and leaving like yea' can't see their ass's for all them footsoles!

Well, the delusion that COS is "celebrity packed" may have a lot to do with all the media attention it's been getting.

So, I say, let it be. :p

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP
I think paul should buy a shredder, one that shreds horizontally as well as vertically.

I know of ex-Scios that shred their documents and dump them into a bucket of water; the next day, they take the mulch, put it in plastic bags & into the trash.

GoNuclear

Gold Meritorious Patron
Well, the delusion that COS is "celebrity packed" may have a lot to do with all the media attention it's been getting.

Alcatraz was celebrity packed at one point as well, with such celeb's as Machine Gun Kelly and Al Capone.

Pete

SchwimmelPuckel

Genuine Meatball

Hmm.. Now that you mention it.. I have to agree.. Tom Cruise Missiles, was it? -

I know of ex-Scios that shred their documents and dump them into a bucket of water; the next day, they take the mulch, put it in plastic bags & into the trash.
.. And I've heard about Ex-scios who makes sure their trash is chock full of cat shit! - They even get their naighbors to 'donate' cat shit when their own cat don't make enough to satisfy OSA!

Can't have OSA being disappointed now!