Exclusive: Bill Clinton, Tom Cruise Plotted to Use Tony Blair to Gain Tax Breaks for

Pooks

MERCHANT OF CHAOS
By Andrew Morton, Publisher
September 10, 2011 2:46 PM 5

Former British Prime Minister Tony Blair and his wife Cherie were targeted by Hollywood actor Tom Cruise and former President Bill Clinton to give tax breaks to the controversial Church of Scientology, it is revealed today.

Clinton and Cruise plotted for months to overturn a legal ruling which refused to grant Scientology charity status in Britain. At one point the former President suggested he directly approached Cherie Blair for help as ‘she was a practising lawyer and would understand the details'.

article-1314472-0B4E152E000005DC-377_468x497.jpg

These astonishing claims were made by former Scientology second in command Marty Rathbun on German TV who described sitting in the room at the Scientology base in Clearwater, Florida in 2003 with Tom Cruise when he called the former President. ‘It wasn’t just one call it was many’, Rathbun confirmed later.

He said that the Hollywood star and the former President, then involved in raising funds for his own Clinton Foundation charity, spoke many times on how best to lobby the Prime Minister and his wife so that they could use their influence to change Scientology’s charity - and hence tax status - in Britain.

cruisemiscavige2.jpgScientology leader David Miscavige (left with Cruise) was, says Rathbun, fanatical about this issue. He knew that Cruise, who had recently renewed his attachment to Scientology after his split from Nicole Kidman in 2001, was desperate to be awarded the first ever International Association of Scientology Freedom Medal of Valor. Miscavige told him that if he was successful it was his for the taking. Cruise was subsequently given the award he coveted at an elaborate awards ceremony in November 2004 at Saint Hill Manor, Scientology’s British headquarters.

Before he was given the award Cruise lobbied Clinton at every opportunity, meeting him for dinner at the Hollywood homes of director Steven Spielberg and producer David Geffen. He called him numerous times at his Foundation office in Harlem, New York, to work out the most effective strategy to overturn a 1999 Charity Commission ruling that Scientology, founded by science fiction writer L Ron Hubbard in 1954, was not a charity and was not eligible for tax breaks.

Rathbun, who was the Inspector General of the Religious Technology Centre until 2004, said that he would audit Cruise - the Scienotology equivalent to the confessional - and then he would call Clinton or his staff in Harlem. ‘There was a lot of back and forth’, he recalled. ‘At one point Clinton said to Tom that it would be better to go through Cherie Blair as she was a lawyer and had a tax background’.

Subsequently Rathbun’s management colleague, Mike Rinder, the chief spokesman for Scientology, prepared briefing papers and publicity material to lobby British politicians and administrators. No expense was spared in the effort to win tax concessions from the British government - as Rathbun points out the Church of Scientology currently has a war chest of $1 billion dollars, much of it kept in off-shore tax havens like Jersey, Lichenstein and Switzerland.

While not successful so far in winning charity status, the campaign to earn tax breaks for the church in Britain has paid handsome dividends. The church, which has faced constant criticism for harassing former members, breaking up families, financial exploitation and the violent behaviour of the church’s diminutive leader David Miscavige, has successfully lobbied several local councils, notably Westminster, the City of London, Sunderland and Birmingham, where they have properties.

These dubious decisions to give generous concessions on council tax rates has angered the Government’s community secretary Eric Pickles. In a statement he said:

"Tolerance and freedom of expression are important British values, but this does not mean that the likes of Church of Scientology deserve favoured tax treatment over and above other business premises.

"The Church of Scientology is not a registered charity, since the Charity Commission has ruled that it does not provide a public benefit. Nor are its premises a recognised place of worship.

"Councils may award charitable relief. They should take into consideration the Charity Commission's rulings when weighing up whether to do so.

"I do not believe the majority of the public would want their own council to be giving special tax breaks to such a controversial organisation."

However the City of London Corporation granted the Scientology's London headquarters on Queen Victoria Street mandatory 80% rates relief on the grounds that it is "a charity or other organisation established for charitable purposes" and that "the property is wholly or mainly used for charitable purposes."

The centre was opened in 2006 in a lavish ceremony attended by Tom Cruise. From 2006 until the end of the current tax year, the City of London tax break amounts to at least £1.3m in savings for Scientology. It is not known what role if any was played by Prime Minister Tony Blair or his wife in securing these concessions.

Scientology in Britain has a long and chequered past. In the 1970s Harold Wilson’s government described the sect as ‘mafia like’ and put senior officials under surveillance. In 1975, internal correspondence from the Home Office said: ‘The Church of Scientology does not merely persuade people to part with their money. It is a harmful movement with an evil reputation.’

It classified the group as ‘an organisation designed to make money, and perhaps also to gain power’ which targeted ‘the anxious, the lonely, the inadequate, the credulous and deluded’.

In a High Court ruling in 1984, Judge Latey labelled the Church of Scientology a "cult", "corrupt, sinister and dangerous...out to capture people...and brainwash them."

To read more about the British government’s concerns about Scientology, please read the Daily Mail's coverage.

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron
Re: Exclusive: Bill Clinton, Tom Cruise Plotted to Use Tony Blair to Gain Tax Breaks

Tick, tock, "...diminutive leader David Miscavige" :biggrin:

British press getting it right, oh slimy cancerous little gnome - and what can You do about it?:omg:

Not much. :roflmao:

I love a good shitstorm for the cult when I wake in the morning.:happydance:

Re: Exclusive: Bill Clinton, Tom Cruise Plotted to Use Tony Blair to Gain Tax Breaks

... ‘At one point Clinton said to Tom that it would be better to go through Cherie Blair as she was a lawyer and had a tax background’. ...

Good advice. :yes:

In other words, what this article is REALLY saying is that Tom Cruise sought advice from an influential person he knew, i.e. Bill Clinton, on how best to approach the British Prime Minister of the time on the matter of a revision to the tax status of his church. This is news? :eyeroll:

Doesn't sound like much with all the sensationalism stripped away. :no:

Sounds to me much more like someone is seeing CONSPIRACY wherever they happen to look. :whistling:

From what I've observed for almost all the ambitious or wealthy people I've met, networking of their contacts is for them the whole point of seeking to meet people. It has in itself become something of a latter day religion among americans: The First Church of Whatcanu Doofur MEE?. :yawn:

Mark A. Baker

TG1

Angelic Poster

I agree with Mark that it's commonplace practice to work one's network. But when a cult in such disrepute does it at the highest levels of government it is news.

Clearly, the recent report by Rathbun of the cult lobbying Clinton wasn't "breaking news" (it was known before). I'm not sure if it was known before that Blair's name came into it (do others know?).

But this time it was published (perhaps more broadly?) by mainstream meda. And it's still getting fresh play, e.g., Morton's Daily Mail piece above.

As Charlie says, "Winning!"

TG1

greebly

Patron with Honors

desperate to be awarded the first ever International Association of Scientology Freedom Medal of Valor.

Hmm I thought there were previous winners yes?

Or is it some title change

Mystic

Crusader

Has been a WTF for years now as to how in the world the criminal cult of Scientology gets away with what it gets away with in the US. Conspiracy?

DAMN RIGHT!

Smilla

Ordinary Human

Good advice. :yes:

In other words, what this article is REALLY saying is that Tom Cruise sought advice from an influential person he knew, i.e. Bill Clinton, on how best to approach the British Prime Minister of the time on the matter of a revision to the tax status of his church. This is news? :eyeroll:

Doesn't sound like much with all the sensationalism stripped away. :no:

Sounds to me much more like someone is seeing CONSPIRACY wherever they happen to look. :whistling:

From what I've observed for almost all the ambitious or wealthy people I've met, networking of their contacts is for them the whole point of seeking to meet people. It has in itself become something of a latter day religion among americans: The First Church of Whatcanu Doofur MEE?. :yawn:

Mark A. Baker

In itself it is perhaps not totally shocking, but within the context of a cult which infiltrated the US governmentto a high level and which has a history of criminal conspiracy, it is a matter of concern.

These Mark:

RoseTintedGlasses.jpg

Take them off.

Captain Koolaid

Patron Meritorious

Just imagine the authorities find out that you owe them 1.3 million. Off to prison you go. But a sinister cult gets away with it - in broad daylight as well. What a world we live in. :duh:

In itself it is perhaps not totally shocking, but within the context of a cult which infiltrated the US governmentto a high level and which has a history of criminal conspiracy, it is a matter of concern.

These Mark:

RoseTintedGlasses.jpg

Take them off.

It's Tom Cruise. Do you genuinely think that either Bill Clinton or the British government look at him as other than a possible lead for donations for the Clinton Foundation or as a pr hook? Hell, I'd take his call & give him advice if he called me, not that I'm expecting the phone to ring. :yes:

Yes. The Co$ wants their tax free status. Not surprising. If I ran a church I'd want it too. Yes. The Co$ encourages their ot's to be proactive in assisting the church in reaching its goals. Yes. The Co$ is an abusive cult with a history of criminal activity (examined the history of christianity lately?). Yes. Tom Cruise is a pillock & Co$ amateur flunky. None of it is in the least bit surprising, nor do I find it ominous.

I am far more concerned about factors affecting the actual problems on the planet rather than whether the Co$ is granted the tax status normally accorded to religious institutions by government. Arguably they should be, although in my view governments have absolutely NO BUSINESS in granting tax benefits to ANY religious institution.

Hell, give 'em the tax break but force them to submit to a complete, public, & external audit of all affiliated church institutions first AND make that true for ALL religious institutions; then sit back and watch the catholics & other christian sects SCREAM. :lol:

Mark A. Baker :)

Smilla

Ordinary Human

It's Tom Cruise. Do you genuinely think that either Bill Clinton or the British government look at him as other than a possible lead for donations for the Clinton Foundation or as a pr hook? Hell, I'd take his call & give him advice if he called me, not that I'm expecting the phone to ring. :yes:

Yes. The Co$ wants their tax free status. Not surprising. If I ran a church I'd want it too. Yes. The Co$ encourages their ot's to be proactive in assisting the church in reaching its goals. Yes. The Co$ is an abusive cult with a history of criminal activity (examined the history of christianity lately?). Yes. Tom Cruise is a pillock & Co$ amateur flunky. None of it is in the least bit surprising, nor do I find it ominous.

I am far more concerned about factors affecting the actual problems on the planet rather than whether the Co$ is granted the tax status normally accorded to religious institutions by government. Arguably they should be, although in my view governments have absolutely NO BUSINESS in granting tax benefits to ANY religious institution.

Hell, give 'em the tax break but force them to submit to a complete, public, & external audit of all affiliated church institutions first AND make that true for ALL religious institutions; then sit back and watch the catholics & other christian sects SCREAM. :lol:

Mark A. Baker :)

There's a lot of truth in what you're saying, but I am highly suspicious of what Miscavige is trying to do when he sends his OT pawns out to chat to politicos.

Karen#1

Gold Meritorious Patron

What is of note is how many personal favors Tom Cruise gets from Sea Org Members in exchange for influencing Heads of state.

The "Church" scream for their 1st amendment rights and hide their dirty deeds and atrocities under the cloak of Religion

Now tell me, what is religious about working for a movie star 50 to 60 hours a week?

John Brousseau who FLED INT base some 18 months ago put 150,000 miles on his pick up truck driving to Portland Oregon back and forth to work on Tom Cruise Real Estate.

(John Brousseau was Miscavige's right hand man for construction/contractor type work)

Here is a Paint JOB John Brousseau did on Tom Cruise and David Miscavige motorbikes outside one of Miscavige's palaces....

DM_TC_Bikes_at_CultLeader_Palace.jpg

+++++How does Tom Cruise cozy up with Miscavige when there are 10′s of thousands reports in every kind of media that the “Leader at the Helm” is a predator ? BFF with a predator ?

+++++Does Tom Cruise feel it is really okay to personally enhance his real estate, his Motor Home, his Telluride and other properties by Sea Org Members ?

++++++I’ll scratch your back, you scratch mine. Tom Cruise’s interference with the State Department while he receives such personal INNUREMENT is scandalous.

Thank you Smurf for this good writeup ~~

READ MORE (Wikileaks recent leaks)
Wikileaks: U.S. State Dept. shills for Scientology
http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?t=21232

It's worse. The "Church" of Scientology was used as a Dating Service, a Pimping Service for Tom Cruise.

RTC was literally pimping for Tom Cruise.
A casting call was sent out to pretty actresses of Celebrity Center to "submit a video" of themselves. All these were screened by RTC to submit final selections to Tom Cruise.

Controllable females who would listen to "command intention" were carefully selected. There is one particular story on the horizon that is of significance.
I will post on this board as soon as I can.

A number of women have been unwittingly lured into this scheme by being told they were working on a very important project to forward the aims of Scientology. In reality, Miscavige arranged dates with them for his personal friends and especially Tom Cruise

This activity was kept secret.
Tom Cruise slave labor of Sea Org Members.
How dirty does it get ?

Images courtesy of Marty's blog

http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc435/karendelac
/hangar3.jpg

Sea Org Slave labor $50 a week or less
hangar1.jpg

This is what Tom Cruise gets in exchange for "favors" lobbying for the "Church"
hangar-012.jpg

PUMPING UP REAL ESTATE Value for TOM Cruise by Sea Org Slave Labor

hangar-008.jpg

Veda

Sponsor

I agree with Mark that it's commonplace practice to work one's network. But when a cult in such disrepute does it at the highest levels of government it is news.

Clearly, the recent report by Rathbun of the cult lobbying Clinton wasn't "breaking news" (it was known before). I'm not sure if it was known before that Blair's name came into it (do others know?).

But this time it was published (perhaps more broadly?) by mainstream media. And it's still getting fresh play, e.g., Morton's Daily Mail piece above.

TG1

Every little bit of information helps, but Scientology using celebrities to influence politicians is not new. Here's a 'New York Times' article about John Travolta and Bill Clinton. I remember reading it the old fashioned way in 1998, holding a copy of the newspaper in my hands. This and related stories were carried by various newspapers:

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/02/18/opinion/journal-clinton-s-travolta-fever.html

I am curious about one thing. You used the term "mainstream." Is that a new "button"? Or does it just seem that way?:eyeroll:

-snip-

This is because Mainstream Culture can do two things simultaneously that some posters at ESMB cannot do:

-snip-

Where Scientology is concerned, Mainstream Culture has swung to supporting the Independent practice of Scientology

-snip-

There are no mainstream journalists, academics, or popular authors who oppose Independent Scientology.

Those of us who support the Indies are growing in numbers.

/////

There's a lot of truth in what you're saying, but I am highly suspicious of what Miscavige is trying to do when he sends his OT pawns out to chat to politicos.

That is understandable to a degree, but I don't advise getting carried away seeing Co$ conspiratorial control behind the actions of every public person within six degrees of separation from Miscavige. :no:

Those of us here at esmb at least are, for the most part agreed, that Miscavige is a f#cking criminal @sshole and that he uses Cruise as a tool to promote his own agenda. Cruise has suffered a great deal of ignominy as a result of his relationship with Miscavige and in his role as an unofficial spokesperson for the church. That has not been a boon to him in his career and has cost him personally a great deal financially, personally, and in terms of his public reputation.

I'll worry about Tom when I've heard reliable reports of him ordering that members of his entourage beat deadbeats & no-case-gain members of his staff and that he subsequently & directly orders the offenders to be shipped off to his own private SP Hall where they remain locked up and routinely humiliated and degraded until they cognite on their overts and rehabilitate themselves in his eyes.

Meantime, TC is just some rich celebrity who has had wins in scientology and tries to help as best as he feels he can. Not much to worry about. I've known plenty of folks whose own involvement in scientology were not much different, including more than a few regular posters on esmb. Everyone cognites, but each at his own pace.

Mark A. Baker

J. Swift

Patron with Honors

I am curious about one thing. You used the term "mainstream." Is that a new "button"? Or does it just seem that way?:eyeroll:
Veda, you are the one with a button on anything Scientology. Whatever Scientology did to you must have been very terrible. You have my sympathy.

Look at the mainstream credentials of some of the people speaking out against Scientology while giving favorable coverage to the Indies:

1. Paul Haggis -- Double Oscar winner
2. Larry Wright -- Pultizer Prize winner
3. Mark Bunker -- Emmy Winner
4. Janet Reitman - best selling author
6. Dr. James Beverly -- religious scholar
7. Marc Headley -- former SO, best selling author
8. Tony Ortega Village Voice
9. Vanity Fair
10. Rolling Stone
11. The New Yorker
12. The St. Pete Times --Joe Childs and Thomas Tobin

Veda, the media coverage of Scientology is mainstream and draws a great deal of interest. As I said, there are no mainstream journalists, academics, or popular authors who oppose Independent Scientology.

/////

Veda

Sponsor

Veda, you are the one with a button on anything Scientology. Whatever Scientology did to you must have been very terrible. You have my sympathy.

I was lucky. Scientology didn't "do" anything to me. However, I do care about what the applied teachings of L. Ron Hubbard have done to others.

It's interesting that you saw fit to use the old gimmick of attempting to introvert a person. A little "black Scientology"? I guess it's OK when it's used on someone who isn't cooperating with the new Scientology juggernaut.

J. Swift

Patron with Honors

I was lucky. Scientology didn't "do" anything to me. However, I do care about what the applied teachings of L. Ron Hubbard have done to others.

It's interesting that you saw fit to use the old gimmick of attempting to introvert a person. A little "black Scientology"? I guess it's OK when it's used on someone who isn't cooperating with the new Scientology juggernaut.
Veda, since when is expressing sympathy black Scientology? If you felt introverted by me it is something going on inside of your own head.

The Indies are gaining momentum such that it must feel like a juggernaut to DM.

The Indies are here Veda.
Get over it.

/////

smartone

My Own Boss

By Andrew Morton, Publisher
September 10, 2011 2:46 PM 5

snip>

These dubious decisions to give generous concessions on council tax rates has angered the Government’s community secretary Eric Pickles. In a statement he said:

"Tolerance and freedom of expression are important British values, but this does not mean that the likes of Church of Scientology deserve favoured tax treatment over and above other business premises.

"The Church of Scientology is not a registered charity, since the Charity Commission has ruled that it does not provide a public benefit. Nor are its premises a recognised place of worship.

"Councils may award charitable relief. They should take into consideration the Charity Commission's rulings when weighing up whether to do so.

"I do not believe the majority of the public would want their own council to be giving special tax breaks to such a controversial organisation." <snip

Looks like Eric Pickles is up next for mud-slinging and dirt-digging from DM. :eyeroll:

smartone

My Own Boss

But this time it was published (perhaps more broadly?) by mainstream meda. And it's still getting fresh play, e.g., Morton's Daily Mail piece above.

TG1

Blair :kma: Why am I not surprised?

Smilla

Ordinary Human

Veda, since when is expressing sympathy black Scientology? If you felt introverted by me it is something going on inside of your own head.

The Indies are gaining momentum such that it must feel like a juggernaut to DM.

The Indies are here Veda.
Get over it.

/////

Swifty.

What happened in Hamburg was interesting, but nothing has changed in the eyes of the public at large, who still consider Scientology to be only slightly preferable to case of rabies.