What's new

Facebook Friends and Fans Wanted

Grrooowwwwllll!!!

My sentiments exactly, GT. I'm paying it forward for every time a "bigger SP" came onto the scene, and gave me some relief from the fair-gaming I was getting. The more people who do this -- well, you know how a flock of gnats can drive you bananas? :coolwink:

Lynn

I agree with this completely, only I think of us as a flock of TIGERS...:D :happydance:

xseaorguk

Patron Meritorious
Facebook etc

I have a FB account, but only accept very good friends as 'friends'.
Have had quite a few requests from people I vaguely remember, but I personally don't accept all requests.
I find it good to keep up with my daughter, who keeps us all up to date on her life, so its a bit like reading her diary.
Most people don't write anything terribly personal anyway, as they know that everybody else can read it.
What you should know about Facebook, due to a recent overhaul on their part, you need to make sure your 'settings' are set so that a lot of your info does not automatically go into search machines like Google etc.
It is set up to do this automatically, so you have to deactivate a few things.
I only found out as a family member told me about it.

I noticed that when you have not deactivated this stuf you can go onto an account of somebody you are not even 'friends' with and view private photos they have put on their site, probably not knowing who can see them.

This is ideal for PI's etc.

Apart from that I think that the social networking sites are a good thing.

Yesterday evening in the UK there was a program on TV about the impact of the internet on our lives.
The gave examples of how young people now use the net as a matter of fact, and partly dont know any different.
It was very informative, and made me realize even more that the Internet will be the downfall of $cientology.
Just imagine back when I was lured into the cult at 19, the first thing I would have done would have been to look it up on the net.
The cult has in my opinion even less chance of getting savvy young people in, as they have much more information at hand about things.

Mest Lover

Not Sea Org Qualified
Well quite! :thumbsup:

Just so long as people realise that you probably won’t stay anonymous very long if you stick your details on FB and befriend other Exes.

Axiom142

That is my current problem. My facebook currently is separate from me as an Ex SCN Ex SO. Once you attach them even by one link then friends of friends of friends leads to OSA eventually.

I am willing to be limited in facebook but not quite willing to open up completely till they make their move. If they do, or if they don't eventually I see now that I have the capacity to do that but its a hard hurdle to jump. Of course I made it easy for them to connect the dots which will eventually de-anonymize myself. Oh well.

Mest Lover

Not Sea Org Qualified
Here is a useful Facebook article on tweaking your personal privacy settings. This allows you to, for instance, separate your friends into different groups and give each group an appropriate security setting. So the churchies won't be able to see the exes, for instance. :)

http://www.allfacebook.com/2009/02/facebook-privacy/

Paul

Ah Hah!

That may just do it for me, thank you. have to take a few days to set it up and test it though.

T

TheSneakster

I'm "Michael Hobson" on Facebook and my Facebook Friends are nearly everyone D.M. hates... well he clearly hates everyone, but these folks are all on his special shitlist, I'm sure.

Link to my profile on Facebook

Michael "The Sneakster" Hobson
I am *not* anonymous. I *do* forgive.

Last edited by a moderator:

dexter gelfand

Patron Meritorious
Hiya friend!

There are many people here that I have been happily interacting with and would class as an ESMB friend, and I would be happy to have them as Facebook friends too. Except I don't know their real names in many cases. So I'll make it as easy as possible from my end to connect up.

Feel free to send a Friend Request winging my way. It would probably help if you include your ESMB handle, but this is not essential if you don't want to. My FB profile is at:

http://www.facebook.com/yawnguy

I first joined FB in 2007, but was making very little use of it until a few days ago. After reading some of the instructions I discovered how to cut out most of the annoying features, like people inundating you with post-it notes and sparkly flowers and fluffy teddy bears and singing dancing babies. FB is now looking quite useful.

I intend this thread to get used by others soliciting FB friends and fans for their groups/pages too, not just me. Obvious warnings re revealing personal data apply. But if you don't trust ME by now, well. . . . :)

Paul

I'm in!:)

Best, Dex

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP
There are many people here that I have been happily interacting with and would class as an ESMB friend, and I would be happy to have them as Facebook friends too. Except I don't know their real names in many cases. So I'll make it as easy as possible from my end to connect up.

Feel free to send a Friend Request winging my way. It would probably help if you include your ESMB handle, but this is not essential if you don't want to.

I would exercise caution, Paul. There has been some strange happenings going on at Facebook as witnessed by others ex-Scios & myself. I was sent two links to videos from "Mark Fisher" and when I opened them, I was slammed with a virus.. had mutliple pages opening up (which I couldn't stop), my system froze up, and I was receiving messages that I was being hacked.. I had to shut my system down and run my anti-virus program...

Others ex-Scios have informed they had the same issue.

dexter gelfand

Patron Meritorious
Good to know!

I would exercise caution, Paul. There has been some strange happenings going on at Facebook as witnessed by others ex-Scios & myself. I was sent two links to videos from "Mark Fisher" and when I opened them, I was slammed with a virus.. had mutliple pages opening up (which I couldn't stop), my system froze up, and I was receiving messages that I was being hacked.. I had to shut my system down and run my anti-virus program...

Important point there, for sure. But it is more a matter of not opening up files, links, attachments or emails from names and addresses that are not known to you, whether on Facebook or anywhere else. On the internet, that's just common sense.
Facebook itself is no more or less a vehicle for transmitting viruses than any other social networking site or email account. Most of us have probably been burned, to varying degrees, more than once.

Best, Dex

Last edited:

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
I was sent two links to videos from "Mark Fisher" and when I opened them, I was slammed with a virus.. <snip>

Could you be more specific? I assume this was through the usual Facebook system. Was it a spoof account, i.e. someone using the same name and even his profile picture, but with a different friend list? Or was it something undetectable in advance?

I always use an anti-virus program that intercepts incoming attacks, or at least, it has so far. It slows down the browsing experience slightly, but I'm not complaining about that trade-off at all.

Paul

Good twin

Floater
I saw Byte's farm and it could use some work. I can only send one gift per day, so any of you other farmers out there please help me send Byte some goodies to make a nice and profitable farm. I'm not kidding. If you see it, you'll know why I'm posting this. I'm just trying to help. It's kinda sad really.
Jus' sayin'

Last edited:

byte301

Crusader
I saw Byte's farm and it could use some work. I can only send one gift per day, so any of you other farmers out there please help me send Byte some goodies to make a nice and profitable farm. I'm not kidding. If you see it, you'll know why I'm posting this. I'm just trying to help. It's kinda sad really.
Jus' sayin'

:omg::omg::omg:

Are you saying my farm's a dump? Downstat farm is downstat.

Everything would have been cool if it wasn't for that swarm of locust my old high school rival sent me yesterday.

She hasn't changed a bit, the biatch.:angry::angry::angry:

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
There are some interesting applications here on FB. I just checked out one that runs Chatroulette from a box. If you're not familiar with Chatroulette, here's a recent review from Wired: http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/02/five-reasons-why-chatroulette-is-addictive-and-worth-a-try/

These are my comments, not Wired's review. You need a webcam. You can text or use audio. You get connected anonymously to a random stranger. If you don't want to chat, you hit "Next" or F9 and get connected instantly to the next one. There's a lot of nexting. For example, I went through about 20 connections in one minute, and had a good laugh. Out of those 20, I got about nine blank screens, one pretty (clothed) girl with big boobs, three apparently male (clothed) chests, two normal-looking white guys, one pair of (clothed) Latino guys speaking Latin or something, and four erect (unclothed) penises.

I didn't stay to chat more than saying a few words here and there.

It's quite an interesting experience, but not for the faint of hard. That was an honest typo. I meant to say "faint of heart", but in the circumstances I'll leave it as-is. :)

Paul

Last edited:

FinallyFree

Gold Meritorious Patron

This has happened to me as well. I expect things of this nature, even before I was on ESMB. I just don't take it too personally. That stuff has been happening since I have gotten on the internet ages ago.