Changing tack!
Heading up!
Coming about!

I am not going to hide anymore!
pull in the mainsheet! Time to take the wind
in the face and stop doing a broad reach away
from SCN! I am a sailor, but never was able
to sail in the Sea Org! I love sailing, its peaceful,
calming, tranquil, and at times, when you are healing over a bit too much, worrysome! But fearing capsize is not the way to go.

I have always trusted my keel before, its time I trust it again!

Thank you expect me soon in port.

Last edited:

Sharone Stainforth

Silver Meritorious Patron
Paul wrote:

It's quite an interesting experience, but not for the faint of hard. That was an honest typo. I meant to say "faint of heart", but in the circumstances I'll leave it as-is. :)

Never again will I eat whilst reading ESMB, I choked on my lasagne.:dieslaughing:

Balthasar

Patron Meritorious
I don't think you have to fill out every blank on the form. What if you don't even have chat? They can't make you fill it out if you don't have it.

Lynn

First, would my facebook photo pop up if someone googles my name...?
I actually went on Paul's facebook, because I was really interested.
But I still think there is a security issue.
For example, there were photos of his friends, plus names.
Now Lynn look, take this one.
Do you think they are all fine that someone (a bad person of course) would copy these photos onto his hard drive and use them later for profiles on websites catering for unusual sexual practices?
Just to get a kick out of it!
Am I the only one who is haunted by paranoia?

Just sayin'

Changing tack!
Heading up!
Coming about!

I am not going to hide anymore!
pull in the mainsheet! Time to take the wind
in the face and stop doing a broad reach away
from SCN! I am a sailor, but never was able
to sail in the Sea Org! I love sailing, its peaceful,
calming, tranquil, and at times, when you are healing over a bit too much, worrysome! But fearing capsize is not the way
to go.

Thank you expect me soon in port.

I always did have a soft spot for sailing...:whistling: :D

Lynn Fountain Campbell

Silver Meritorious Patron

Nope. Not by a long shot. But even paranoia can go flat eventually. I'm a lot less paranoid than I was even a year ago. Last year I was imagining things half the time. This year, at least I know the difference between when I'm imagining it and when it's really happening. And as the old saying goes, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not doing it. :coolwink:

And sometimes even when they are doing it, it doesn't make any difference. :moon:

Lynn

AngeloV

Gold Meritorious Patron
First, would my facebook photo pop up if someone googles my name...?
I actually went on Paul's facebook, because I was really interested.
But I still think there is a security issue.
For example, there were photos of his friends, plus names.
Now Lynn look, take this one.
Do you think they are all fine that someone (a bad person of course) would copy these photos onto his hard drive and use them later for profiles on websites catering for unusual sexual practices?
Just to get a kick out of it!

Any image that is displayed on a web page can be copied, modified and used by anyone who has access to the page. It is a risk but maybe it's acceptable.

This is true for the entire internet: ANYTHING you type into a message board, e-mail, blog, facebook, text message, etc. is stored on a computer somewhere in the world. That computer is 'backed up'. That is, all of the data is copied to another computer or magnetic tape just in case the first computer fails. Those backups are kept for a period of time depending on the company who owns the computers...sometimes for decades.

A company like facebook, whose reputation could be severely damaged if personal information was stolen, makes a great effort to protect their assets. But hackers are notorious for finding the cracks in the armor.

Also, there are unscrupulous people who administer those computers and will 'leak' information to the press if the price is right. This happens all of the time in political circles. The data can be searched for incriminating information. This can be done extremely easily.

This may seem paranoid to some folks but I've seen data scanned, culled and 'used' to hurt others. Use common sense and don't expose private information on the web unless you are comfortable with it's possible release in the broader public realm.

I follow this policy with a few exceptions...I order stuff all the time and use my CC number and address to do it. The risk, in this case, justifies the reward...I don't have to shop at a store to get what I want. I hate shopping. :)

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Someone using the name "Panda Termint" has just started using FB. I have no reason to suspect it isn't our beloved Panda, but I would appreciate his confirmation here on this thread.

Paul

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Someone just PM'd me about my Friends list. My response:

Hi there,

Most of my Facebook page is open to all, including my friends list. The security settings can be complicated, so I wouldn't assume that other people are using them correctly. If you have both churchies and exes in the same friends list, expect some kind of trouble in the future.

FB rules are one account per person, using your real name, but obviously this gets flouted by people scared of the CofS. The safest thing to do is to open a second account for (ex-) Scn stuff. Personally I don't like having too many people with obvious fake names in my friends list, but if you use a common fake name (Carlos Gonzales or whatever) and a photo of a person that isn't you but doesn't look too out of place, then at least it isn't going to look fake.

Of course, if someone I don't know is sending me a friend request, I may well ask "Who the fuck are you?" before accepting, :), but there are acceptable answers to that other than your full name, address, date of birth and social security number.

Paul

Last edited:

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
Someone using the name "Panda Termint" has just started using FB. I have no reason to suspect it isn't our beloved Panda, but I would appreciate his confirmation here on this thread.

Paul
Yes, that's me Paul. I no longer go by my given name, everyone seems to call me Panda now. :)

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
I am replacing my "Yawnguy" page with this new and improved "RubAndYawn" page. If you became a fan of the "Yawnguy" page, please become a fan of "RubAndYawn" in a new unit of time. :)

I can't say it is the fault of the evil transcriptionists. I chose the wrong name in the first place. Facebook doesn't allow you to change the name of a page — you have to create a new one and nuke the old one.

Sowwwweeeee.

RubAndYawn page on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/RubAndYawn/332679822720

Paul

HappyGirl

Gold Meritorious Patron
Paul, I've ben ignoring your friend request. :redface: Hahaha! But since you started a whole thread about it I'll accept it the next time I'm on facebook.
Paul's scary? :nervous:
Jeez, you saw his gun, didn't you?
As a giant lutefisk. :omg:
Did anyone else wonder what a "lutefisk" was?
I now have a whole bunch of ex-Scientologists as friends on Facebook, which is potentially embarrassing because of all my other friends on Facebook, and vice versa.

Thus, Facebook is torture to me.
I think it makes life exciting! :D :nervous:

Attachments

• lutefisk.jpg
    lutefisk.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 33

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Several times now I have received the anonymous suggestion on Facebook to become a friend of "Mark Baker." This account is at http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000380925687&ref=pymk (anyone know what the ref=pymk means?).

It certainly isn't ESMB's Mark A. Baker. The account shows no info whatsoever, and I don't know if it is suspicious or not.

Note that this isn't a friend request from that Mark Baker account, just the suggestion to befriend that account.

Paul