What's new

Fair Work Ombusdman Report - Australia: CoS in breach

Oh, that is interesting! I really think they should have to justify their decisions to the public. Judges are expected to give their reasoning, and that is an important part of justice being seen to be done - to have that transparency, even if you think they got it dead wrong. At the moment, I can't help it, I just look at that decision and go, 'Well, OSA must have found his dirt - just like they always do,' because it makes no sense to me any other way. How could that case NOT be sure-fire?

I agree with your sentiments.
Even if the FWO (or any other such agencies/authorties) are not required to be as transparent as court judges about their decisions, given the history of scientology subversion/corruption, they ought to be very concerned that they DO make themselves as transparent as possible, so as not to be open to suspicion of having being "stitched up" by the cult. Lets hope the FWO gets very close questioning by the politicians. It might even be something the FWO is hoping for too.

Purple Rain

Crusader
I agree with your sentiments.
Even if the FWO (or any other such agencies/authorties) are not required to be as transparent as court judges about their decisions, given the history of scientology subversion/corruption, they ought to be very concerned that they DO make themselves as transparent as possible, so as not to be open to suspicion of having being "stitched up" by the cult. Lets hope the FWO gets very close questioning by the politicians. It might even be something the FWO is hoping for too.

Yes, it could be an opportunity the FWO welcomes. When I went to Parliament House with the other exes to talk to the politicians I found them to be so concerned and interested. I think many of them will have some real concerns that an organisation can bill a 15 year old girl after 'volunteering' her work for thousands of hours. Of course, by their own policies, that organisation ONLY issues 'freeloader' bills to their STAFF. So it would be very interesting to hear the FWO explain how she was not staff, and also that this organisation has been found to be covered by the 'fair work' act, yet minors - who are not even allowed the vote - are allowed to be exploited in sweatshop conditions within this very country. It gives a whole new unAustralian definition to 'volunteering' that's for sure.

Purple Rain

Crusader
Also, did the organisation explain to her that her 'volunteer' role would include cleaning out a dumpster with a toothbrush at two in the morning? ... (an essential function in any organisation, particularly churches). Did she really 'volunteer' for that?

Purple Rain

Crusader
And does signing an agreement to 'volunteer' for somebody act as a blanket agreement to sign away one's supposed legal protections and human rights?

Purple Rain

Crusader
No matter how indoctrinated her parents were at the time, the law should have protected the rights of this minor. The law failed Jordan Anderson, and so has the FWO. He may get to go home at night and forget about his day at work. She lives with the ongoing post-traumatic stress and nightmares of inhumane treatment at the hands of an industrially exploitative organisation.

And the answers to those questions might provide evidence for court case(s).
Having the issues in general, and specific details of individual cases honed down like that in pariliament rather than the war zone of a courtroom court make for a much smoother ride in the courts.:)

Purple Rain

Crusader
And the answers to those questions might provide evidence for court case(s).
Having the issues in general, and specific details of individual cases honed down like that in pariliament rather than the war zone of a courtroom court make for a much smoother ride in the courts.:)

Yes, indeed. And hopefully any legislative holes that may need patching can be considered also.

Albion

Patron with Honors
It's difficult to understand the decision in this particular case, I agree. I think Liz Anderson's explanation that the FWO only wants to go with sure-fire cases gives some indication as to what went wrong, but what is frustrating is that we don't know what their reasons were for rejecting the case because they don't explain in any detail. It may be that the Andersons get a better result with the class action lawsuit.

One thing I forgot to mention in my piece is that senators will have the chance to question the Fair Work Ombudsman during the Senate estimates hearings next month, October 17-21. I doubt the ombudsman will discuss individual cases in any detail, but we may get a clearer idea of their thinking.

Purple Rain said:
Oh, that is interesting! I really think they should have to justify their decisions to the public. Judges are expected to give their reasoning, and that is an important part of justice being seen to be done - to have that transparency, even if you think they got it dead wrong. At the moment, I can't help it, I just look at that decision and go, 'Well, OSA must have found his dirt - just like they always do,' because it makes no sense to me any other way. How could that case NOT be sure-fire?

Further to our exchange, Kevin Mackey, one of the other witnesses to the FWO inquiry, has published his thoughts on why the final report was toned down in the comments section at the bottom of my article. It makes for interesting reading -- and it will be interesting to see if this issue is picked up by any of the senators who have shown an interest in this issue at the Senate estimates hearings later this month.

Naturally, I would encourage other witnesses to the FWO report to give their views at Infinite Complacency.

Jonny Jacobsen

Last edited:

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Further to our exchange, Kevin Mackey, one of the other witnesses to the FWO inquiry, has published his thoughts on why the final report was toned down in the comments section at the bottom of my article. It makes for interesting reading -- and it will be interesting to see if this issue is picked up by any of the senators who have shown an interest in this issue at the Senate estimates hearings later this month.

Naturally, I would encourage other witnesses to the FWO report to give their views at Infinite Complacency.

Jonny Jacobsen

Excellent article Jonny!

Miss Pert

Silver Meritorious Patron
Well I got to put in my 2 cents worth. I told em about offering to volunteer at Leichhardt Mission and being told I couldn't hold the post I wanted as a volunteer and that I had to join staff. I told them about how Caroline Collen (the then ED), when recruiting me for Syd Day, told me that when I returned from Flag we would have an "Ideal Org" and I could expect to be earning $600 per week. I showed em the docs from Flag stating that Co$ Syd was responsible to pay for all my needs whilst at Flag and told them that they didn't and I had to to do 30 hours manual labour a week to earn my keep at Flag. And I showed the stat dec where Virginia Stewart perjured herself, and that Michael Gordon notorised it, so as to get me a religious workers visa, even though legally I should have been on a student visa, so that I could go to Flag.

I guess now it's back to waiting..... tick tock, tick tock..... one way or another it will happen. It may not happen over night, but it will happen. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

:shark:​

RogerB

Crusader
Well I got to put in my 2 cents worth. I told em about offering to volunteer at Leichhardt Mission and being told I couldn't hold the post I wanted as a volunteer and that I had to join staff. I told them about how Caroline Collen (the then ED), when recruiting me for Syd Day, told me that when I returned from Flag we would have an "Ideal Org" and I could expect to be earning $600 per week. I showed em the docs from Flag stating that Co$ Syd was responsible to pay for all my needs whilst at Flag and told them that they didn't and I had to to do 30 hours manual labour a week to earn my keep at Flag. And I showed the stat dec where Virginia Stewart perjured herself, and that Michael Gordon notorised it, so as to get me a religious workers visa, even though legally I should have been on a student visa, so that I could go to Flag.

I guess now it's back to waiting..... tick tock, tick tock..... one way or another it will happen. It may not happen over night, but it will happen. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Nice . . . hang 'em high with their own mania for "if it ain't written it ain't true!" :biggrin:

Keep your docs folks, they are a valuable safeguard.

Rog

Happy Days

Good work Miss Pert. :thumbsup:

Nice to read you had docs cause the CoS don't like that at all. :biggrin:

Ensure you send a copy to Slater & Gordon too :yes:

Petey C

Nice work, Miss Pert! :thumbsup: