Father files civil rights complaint against Scientology, says can't speak to daughter

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
Father files civil rights complaint against Church of Scientology, says he can't speak to daughter.

West Palm Beach WPTV 5: Father files civil rights complaint against Church of Scientology, says he can't speak to daughter.

http://www.wptv.com/news/region-s-p...-of-scientology-say-he-cant-speak-to-daughter

VIDEO AT LINK

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

A Boynton Beach man says his family is being torn apart by the Church of Scientology, which he says has labeled him an enemy.

One of the happiest times for Brian Sheen was the day his only daughter got married.

"She just got married for the second time, we were in San Francisco, it was beautiful," said Brian Sheen.

When he gave his daughter away, he didn't think it would be forever.

"It's been heartbreaking and the last three months I’ve been trying to figure out what do I do," added Sheen.

Sheen's daughter is a Scientologist. He was shocked when he received a letter from the Church of Scientology two months after the wedding, declaring him a "suppressive" person and notifying him his only contact with Scientologists should be with the International Justice Chief.

"They believe that I am actively seeking to suppress or damage them," added Sheen, reading off the letter he says he received.

Sheen says his daughter was as shocked as he was.

"She didn’t know what was happening, she was very upset, she couldn’t believe it could possibly happen," added Sheen.

He filed a civil rights complaint with the state, hoping the church's actions would be seen as a violation of his civil rights.

In the meantime, Sheen says if his daughter reaches out to him, she could risk her marriage and her status as a Scientologist.

"If she would talk to me everything she has would be taken from her because she would then get the same declaration and they wouldn’t be able to speak to her," added Sheen.

In his mind, he keeps replaying the last conversation he had with his daughter.

"I love you. Just know I always support you and we'll someway find a way to get together," added Sheen.

We reached out to Sheen's daughter, but have not received a call back.

A spokesperson for the Church of Scientology would not comment on the letter Sheen says he received.

Public Affairs Direction Pat Harney issued this statement: "The Church of Scientology does not comment on the private family matters of our parishioners. For accurate information about our beliefs and practices, please see the frequently asked questions at
Code:
www.scientology.org/faq.html
."

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

EDITED TO ADD PICTURE OF FATHER AND DAUGHTER IN HAPPIER TIMES

attachment.php

EDITED AGAIN TO ADD:

Palm Beach Post: Boynton Beach man claims Scientology keeping him from daughter

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/n...h-man-claims-scientology-keeping-him-f/nmwwy/

BOYNTON BEACH — A Boynton Beach father says The Church of Scientology is keeping him from a relationship with his daughter, and now he is making his situation public with the hopes that he can stand up for other families who are going through the same thing.

“Thousands of others are like this,” Brian Sheen said. “If they’re silent about it maybe that’s my mission here; I have to speak for those who cannot speak.”

Sheen, who left the church decades ago, said he and his daughter Spring, 38, had a loving and close relationship. He attended his daughter’s wedding in November and then he received a letter in April from the church saying he could not speak with her anymore. Sheen said he’s sent letters to the church asking for clarification as to what he did wrong, but he hasn’t received a response.

A request for comment from the church hadn’t been answered by Friday afternoon.

Scientology has been reported about widely in the media and more recently was the subject of a documentary this year titled, “Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief.” The religion made headlines during the public downfall of the relationship between Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise, a member of the church.

Scientology “recognizes that man is basically good and offers tools anyone can use to become happier and more able as a person and to improve conditions in life for himself and others, and to gain a profound understanding of the Supreme Being and his relationship to the Divine,” according to the religion’s website.

Sheen was also a member of the church but said he decided to leave about 40 years ago because of differences he had with the religion. His daughter and her mother are members, and Sheen said he always supported his daughter in that. He said his brother recently entered back into the church and thinks he might have something to do with the letter he received.

The letter came by Fed Ex in April and labeled Sheen a “suppressive” person. The church defines a suppressive person as one who “actively seeks to suppress or damage Scientology or a Scientologist by Suppressive acts,” according to the letter. Sheen said the letter says if he doesn’t follow the church rules he will be kept in this position and won’t be able to speak to his daughter again. And, if his daughter does speak to Sheen, she would lose her marriage and wouldn’t be able to speak to her friends and her mother, Sheen said.

Sheen says the church discriminated against him because of his religious beliefs. On July 4 he filed a Civil Rights complaint. He’s also created a website to spread awareness and is calling for politicians to get involved and demand the church either stop the disconnection policy, or make interested church members aware they might have to disconnect with friends or family not associated with Scientology.

“What I’m hoping to do is be able to help other people because I know there are hundreds and thousands of other people across the country like me,” Sheen said. “I’m not the first person here.”

Attachments

• Sheen.jpg
    Sheen.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:
Re: Father files civil rights complaint against Scientology, says can't speak to daug

I wish this guy the best of luck - I think it's an uphill battle, but god - if the church could be beaten on this point - it would open a flood of communication if they couldn't legally enforce disconnection. Mimsey

Civil rights implications[edit]

Some aspects of shunning may also be seen as being at odds with civil rights or human rights, especially those behaviours that coerce and attack. When a group seeks to have an effect through such practices outside its own membership, for instance when a group seeks to cause financial harm through isolation and disassociation, they can come at odds with their surrounding civil society, if such a society enshrines rights such as freedom of association, conscience, or belief. Many civil societies do not extend such protections to the internal operations of communities or organizations so long as an ex-member has the same rights, prerogatives, and power as any other member of the civil society.

Church of Scientology[edit]

For more details on this topic, see Disconnection.

The Church of Scientology asks its members to quit all communication with Suppressive Persons (those whom the Church deems antagonistic to Scientology). The practice of shunning in Scientology is termed disconnection. Members can disconnect from any person they already know, including existing family members. Many examples of this policy's application have been established in court.[30][31][32] It used to be customary to write a "disconnection letter" to the person being disconnected from, and to write a public disconnection notice, but these practices have not continued.[33][34] The Church states that typically only people with "false data" about Scientology are antagonistic, so it encourages members to first attempt to provide "true data" to these people. According to official Church statements, disconnection is only used as a last resort and only lasts until the antagonism ceases.[35] Failure to disconnect from a Suppressive Person is itself labeled a Suppressive act.[36] In the United States, the Church has tried to argue in court that disconnection is a constitutionally protected religious practice. However, this argument was rejected because the pressure put on individual Scientologists to disconnect means it is not voluntary.[37]

[37] California appellate court, 2nd district, 7th division, Wollersheim v. Church of Scientology of California, Civ. No. B023193 Cal. Super. (1986)

Leland

Crusader
Re: Father files civil rights complaint against Scientology, says can't speak to daug

Sounds weird. Perhaps not enough information....but would the Cof$ send a letter to a Father....on behalf of his daughter? Apparently, she didn't know about it...??

Would they declare someone an SP that was not a member of the Cult....and tell him about it?

Wish him the best on this.

Sad....

They do tear families apart....

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

A spokesperson for the Church of Scientology would not comment on the letter Sheen says he received.

Public Affairs Director Pat Harney issued this statement: "The Church of Scientology does not comment on the private family matters of our parishioners."

Later in the day, church spokesperson Pat Harney e-mailed this additional clarification:

As far as the daughter's disconnection from her own father, our church's beliefs and sacred scripture are quite clear on this matter, which is simply: "Scientology is a religion, so go ahead--try to DO something about it, fuckers! LOL"

Last edited:

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron

Later in the day, church spokesperson Pat Harney e-mailed this additional clarification:

As far as the daughter's disconnection from her own father, our church's beliefs and sacred scripture is quite clear on this matter, which is simply: "Scientology is a religion, so go ahead--try to DO something about it, fuckers! LOL"

Do you mind Hoaxy if I send this out to each and all of the members of the House of Representatives inviting them to join my newest religion namely. "Church of the Supra-national, Supra-Constitutional cabal"

Benefits will be eternal retention of current status, without requiring any votes in any election.
Only requirement is a signed CSW by both our dead founder and newest Pope residing at the INTERNATIONAL BASE in Bulgravia,California

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

Sounds weird. Perhaps not enough information....but would the Cof$ send a letter to a Father....on behalf of his daughter? Apparently, she didn't know about it...??

Would they declare someone an SP that was not a member of the Cult....and tell him about it?

Sad....

Who knows what the COS (Crimewave of Scientology) would do. It isn't as if they actually follow one (1) policy. They don't. Because they don't only have one (1) policy on any matter.

They just follow whichever policy is most expedient to their hidden agendas.

I don't know anything about this story or the father, but in that city in Florida (Boynton Beach), there is someone with that same name who is a (gasp!) PSYCH. LOL Wonder if this is him?

Dr. Brian J Sheen
PhD

(561) 666-9044

My focus is working with individuals with ADD/ADHD,depression and stress related issues. My protocols thave had a 97% success rate in helping individuals become medication free and thriving. This is part of a special online interactive program: the 7 Keys for Attention Development. Clients follow this 12 week online plan with or without private sessions while being caoched. My new book The 7 Keys for Attention Development describes this in detail. It is available at Amazon for download http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R0IAW3A This is Quantum Embodiment (r), the approach I developed over the past 42 years of research and development.

I use integrative protocols that accesses the mental and emotional elements causing the unwanted condition to develop a diversified course of therapy and education.Re-education is vital to learn the mechanics of their mind to gain mastery over it. Ongoing life coaching helps supervise an effective plan of action with proven strategies.
My approach acknowledges that wellness is ONLY when the mind is clear,heart open, emotions stable,body fit,spirit aware and relationships are peaceful and loving. To accomplish this I educate,coach and use therapeutic modalities which address a person's issue at the level the issues are presenting

Take the first step to help. Call or Email Dr. Brian Sheen now - (561) 666-9044

Qualifications
  • Years in Practice: 20+ Years
  • School: American Pacific University
  • Year Graduated: 2001

Finances]
  • Avg Cost (per session): $200 - $300
  • Sliding Scale: Yes

Accepted Payment Methods: American Express, Cash, Check, Discover, Mastercard, Paypal, Visa, Wire

Location The 7 Keys
Boynton Beach, Florida 33435
(561) 666-9044

Email Me Nearby Areas

Specialties
  • Peer Relationships
  • Depression
  • ADHD

]Issues:
  • Anger Management
  • Career Counseling
  • Divorce
  • Emotional Disturbance
  • Grief
  • Learning Disabilities
  • Parenting
  • Self Esteem
  • Spirituality

• Anxiety
  • Coping Skills
  • Drug Abuse
  • Family Conflict
  • Infertility
  • Life Coaching
  • Relationship Issues
  • Sleep or Insomnia

Mental Health:
  • Mood Disorders

Client Focus[ Ethnicity: Hispanic and Latino

• Adults
  • Elders (65+)

Treatment Approach[/h][h=3]Treatment Orientation:[/h]
  • Coaching
  • Cognitive Behavioral (CBT)
  • Cognitive,Quantum & Formative Psychology,
  • EMDR
  • Existential
  • Family / Marital
  • Family Systems
  • Gestalt
  • Hypnotherapy
  • Mindfulness-based (MBCT)
  • Play Therapy
  • Psychodynamic
  • Transpersonal

Modality:
  • Individuals
  • Couples
  • Family

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free

Non-scientologist parents do get disconnection calls and letters . Just depends on what they have said, who they work for or what they may have done that would make them he labeled.

This man is doing what he feels is right and I think he is brave to do this. I think the cult will give up if the daughter retains any willingness to not agree to disconnection She will be declared PTS.

But obviously they have been 'handling' her.

Right now he has no contact with the daughter, her last communications being that she was just as upset and didn't understand what it was all about, either. Whether this court matter brings them together, or not remains to be seen

I suspect he's not going to have to go through as must as Mr an Mrs Tony Leigh from Manchester, UK had in trying to getbeckyout. Becky is still not out. Here is a short summation of Tony Leigh's story, current and back through time:

Tony Leigh Disqus comment 5 months ago

Scientology is a dangerous cult with only one interest, your money. I know as my daughter Becky and her husband are cult members.
https://disqus.com/by/tony_leigh/

Parent gets daughter out of Scientology.. he thought.. it was an OSA op

[..]Many here may remember Tony Leigh, a parent of a Scientologist in Manchester, England wanting to get his daughter out. He had posted a number of videos talking about his efforts to free his daughter who at the time, was engaged to be married to a Scientologist. Tony was led to believe that his daughter left the cult and she instructed him to stop posting videos critical of the cult & to stop attending protests of the cult. He, out of his love for his daughter, chose to follow those instructions.

I had many conversations with Tony about this & professed it sounded like an OSA op to handle him & his wife. Tony stopped posting videos & commenting on the boards, ESMB & WWP. I presumed that Tony, his wife Sue, and daughter Becky had re-established ties and moved on with their lives.

Now comes word that Becky's professing to leave the cult was indeed an OSA op to handle & shut Tony up. This is so heart-breaking to Tony & his wife who clearly loves their daughter & is concerned for her welfare.[..]
http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...ut-of-Scientology-he-thought-it-was-an-OSA-op

Earlier on, Tony had been tricked when this happened.

Tony Leigh: DAUGHTERS DECISION TO LEAVE SCIENTOLOGY FOR GOOD
OCMB Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:05 pm
http://194.63.248.138/ocmb/viewtopic.php?t=32692&p=379876

Before she "left Scientology" she was declared PTS to Tony and her mother for their protests and attempts to convince her to leave. Mark Bunker at XENUTV writes:

Get Becky Out

UPDATE:
Becky has been suspended by Scientology for being PTS.

(video omitted in my post her)

Here’s what the parents had to say in their description of this video:

Mother Sue reads the COS reply from Graeme Wilson.

We, (Sue and Tony) have protested against the CULT of Scientology for over 12 months and have written 8 letters to Scientology and have still not had one reply. This video is made due to the help we have had from our local MP and his achievement in getting the COS Mr. Graeme Wilson who is the head of communications for the cult to respond to his own letters.
We have not got our daughter out of this CULT as yet, so our fight is not over for our daughter and her future husband Mr. David Fryer.
The CULT have SUSPENDED our daughter but our daughter is still a Scientologist, she who will not be able to attend any of there courses as she has been declared PTS but may work in the Cult front groups with Scientologists and will be asked to give DONNATIONS.

To this we will not stop our fight.
Our daughter will always be a scientologist while her future husband is a Scientologist, so this is why we fight. We are helping our daughter understand the reputation of the Cult and we know our daughter will help her boy friend David Fryer also in the end.

Here are the letters sent by Scientology to the UK officials and which the MP forwarded to the family.

original-letter-mp.jpg

original-letter-cos.jpg

original-letter-cos.jpg

https://xenutv.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/cos-back-page.jpg?w=450&h=640
http://www.xenutv.com/blog/2009/02/20/get-becky-out/

Last edited:

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron

thank you Mimsey. Do you have a link source for your quotes? Also is there a source for the entire case records?

I wish this guy the best of luck - I think it's an uphill battle, but god - if the church could be beaten on this point - it would open a flood of communication if they couldn't legally enforce disconnection. Mimsey

[37] California appellate court, 2nd district, 7th division, Wollersheim v. Church of Scientology of California, Civ. No. B023193 Cal. Super. (1986)

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron

:omg: AnonyMary. I thought Becky was out for good. And I said so I think on the Underground Bunker along with some links to youtube videos. The terms High Control Groups and undue influence are so appropriate in this and many other cases. :bigcry:

Non-scientologist parents do get disconnection calls and letters. Just depends on what they have said, who they work for or what they may have done that would make them he labeled.

This man is doing what he feels is right and I think he is brave to do this. I think the cult will give up if the daughter retains any willingness to not agree to disconnection She will be declared PTS.

But obviously they have been 'handling' her.

Right now he has no contact with the daughter, her last communications being that she was just as upset and didn't understand what it was all about, either. Whether this court matter brings them together, or not remains to be seen

I suspect he's not going to have to go through as must as Mr an Mrs Tony Leigh from Mancester, UK had to to got through in trying to getbeckyout. And she is not out. Here is a short sumnation Tony Leigh'sstory, current and back through time:

Tony Leigh Disqus comment 5 months ago

https://disqus.com/by/tony_leigh/

Parent gets daughter out of Scientology.. he thought.. it was an OSA op

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...ut-of-Scientology-he-thought-it-was-an-OSA-op

Earlier on, Tony had been tricked when this happened.

Tony Leigh: DAUGHTERS DECISION TO LEAVE SCIENTOLOGY FOR GOOD
OCMB Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:05 pm
http://194.63.248.138/ocmb/viewtopic.php?t=32692&p=379876

Before she "left scientology" she was declared PTS to Toiny and her mother for their protests and attempts to convince her to leave. Mark Bunker at XENUTV writes:

Get Becky Out

UPDATE:
Becky has been suspended by Scientology for being PTS.

(video omitted in my post her)

original-letter-mp.jpg

original-letter-cos.jpg

original-letter-cos.jpg

https://xenutv.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/cos-back-page.jpg?w=450&h=640
http://www.xenutv.com/blog/2009/02/20/get-becky-out/

CommunicatorIC

EDITED TO ADD PICTURE OF FATHER AND DAUGHTER IN HAPPIER TIMES

attachment.php

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP

I wish this guy the best of luck - I think it's an uphill battle, but god - if the church could be beaten on this point - it would open a flood of communication if they couldn't legally enforce disconnection.

He's got no legal standing in the complaint. His daughter, Sroing (song) Austin is 38 years old & a resident of Los Angeles where she owns a DJ out-souring company here.

11698700_10204561991512401_8226912125850386404_n.jpg

http://www.skyline-entertainment.com/entertainment/our-djs.php

http://www.yelp.com/biz/skyline-entertainment-los-angeles

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1999-06-12/lifestyle/9906110637_1_scuba-yoga-meditation-center

Kookaburra

Gold Meritorious Patron

Sad....

I think they would. When I was in the SO and nearing my leaving epifany, I was called in to an ethics interview. The EO told me that she had reviewed my ethics and pers folders including life history looking for someone I should disconnect from. She picked a second cousin that I hadn't seen or spoken to in 25 years, who didn't know that I was in Scn and I'm sure couldn't have cared less but I was supposed to write a disconnection letter to her because she was a psychiatrist. Needless to say, I gave the EO a piece of my mind and a few references on creating antagonism, but if she had done this to someone more naive and pliable, it would have been a scenario just as described above. Disconnection is only and simply a nasty, manipulative control mechanism and nothing more. I suspect this guys daughter did or said something she shouldn't have, according to the EO. Maybe she went to a movie, wants to have a baby (distraction), or didn't give a big enough donation at the last bloodsucking event. Nothing to do with the father at all.

secretiveoldfag

Silver Meritorious Patron

Surely the fact that the father is a [strike]psychiatrist[/strike] psychologist would be enough in itself?

Last edited:

Freeminds

Bitter defrocked apostate

Scientology has to define itself through its opposition to the mental health profession, because mental wellbeing is the opposite of Hubbardism: anybody who is exposed to a genuine talking therapy delivered by a person who doesn't hope to gain at the expense of the victim is going to see Scientology for the sham it is, and fast.

To that extent, any practising mental health professional is suppressive to Scientology. To crudely over-simplify for the purposes of amusement: Scientology is the opposite of mental health.

AnonyMary

:omg: AnonyMary. I thought Becky was out for good. And I said so I think on the Underground Bunker along with some links to youtube videos. The terms High Control Groups and undue influence are so appropriate in this and many other cases. :bigcry:

I know!! I thought she was out, too! I was just as surprised as you to find this out.

I thought that The Leighs had been toning down their public protests, ( though Tony still posts on WWP on occasion), in order to keep the peace for his family, keep their contact with Becky, and placate the cult to lay off interfering with the family.

This past 2 years have been very busy for me and I have not always been able to keep up with all that goes on, but I somehow missed the 2013 videos and Smurf's post at the time, and the long term effect all this had on Tony and his family... how that betrayal by the church and by Beckybrought this to a new level, with Becky becoming the very thing he feared for her. :bigcry:

Yes, High Control Group, undue influence... keywords synonymous with Scientology!

He's got no legal standing in the complaint. His daughter, Sroing (song) Austin is 38 years old & a resident of Los Angeles where she owns a DJ out-souring company here.
[..]

I don't know about that, Smurf... and I think this father is not only doing because his choices to save his family now are so limited, but that this could well be an important case, one that may well open the door to exposing the history and extent of Scientology's hatred and prejudice towards all things not Scientology. I think he's one smart cookie for attempting to do this as a last resort, to save his family and put the onus on Scientology to be forced to publicly explain how it's PTS/SP 'tech' and policies do not interfere with his civil right and that of his daughter's to ensure their ability to participate in family life, unhindered by this oppressive cult..

Civil and political rights: "Civil and political rights are a class of rights that protect individuals' freedom from infringement by governments, social organizations and private individuals, and which ensure one's ability to participate in the civil and political life of the society and state without discrimination or repression.

Civil rights include the ensuring of peoples' physical and mental integrity, life and safety; protection from discrimination on grounds such as race, gender, national origin, colour, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion, or disability;[1][2][3] and individual rights such as privacy, the freedoms of thought and conscience, speech and expression, religion, the press, assembly and movement."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_and_political_rights

Thank you, Karen. Now we know that this is not only a parent fighting against Scientology, but one who is also an ex-scientologist, as this article you linked us to explains.

He was involved in Scientology many years ago.. apparently left in 1977:

The Lives Of Brian He`s A Self-made Millionaire Who Believes He Once Lived On Another Planet. He`s A Financial Guru Who Hopes To Be A Rock Star. Still, When Brian J. Sheen Talks, People Listen.

SunSentinel May 24, 1987|BY JOHN DeGROOT, Sunshine writer --

2 page article, which also states he'd been out of Scientology 10 years earlier from the year of this article.
http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/19...757_1_mickey-sheen-millionaire-previous-lives

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/19...7_1_mickey-sheen-millionaire-previous-lives/2

Scientology library: “Brian J. Sheen”
http://www.xenu-directory.net/news/library.php?t=Brian+J.+Sheen

Surely the fact that the father is a psychiatrist would be enough in itself?

Well, Sheen is not a psychiatrist. Psychiatrists are medical doctors, MDs. He's a PhD.

"Brian Sheen is an American Integrative medicine practitioner, writer,educator and lecturer on complementary and alternative medicine"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Sheen

He got his PhD in 2001 from American Pacific University
https://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/name/Brian_J_Sheen_PhD_Boynton+Beach_Florida_136483

American Pacific University, which seems to no longer exist, was at one time offering unaccredited programs and degrees... The only place I could find on the internet to provide a recent location and website link is below, but the mentioned website link and the site itself are not accessible.

American Pacific University provides adults with distance education that focuses on healing and the concept of the "whole person" of mind, body, and spirit.

American Pacific University fosters values of integrity, highest quality, growth, teamwork, and flexibility with students, faculty, staff, and the community.

American Pacific University aims to provide the educational framework for students to gain the knowledge and understanding of transpersonal psychology necessary to function as practitioners in their chosen field of interest and to overcome the limitations of the more traditional forms of education. American Pacific University provides not only an academic learning environment but also encourages students to look within themselves to achieve higher potential.

Students at American Pacific University are encouraged to learn, ask questions, explore, and challenge the information they receive in our program. The learning process is an open and dynamic one. Students at American Pacific University develop into who they want to be, gain a new perspective on the world, and how they relate to it.

Contact information for American Pacific University
American Pacific University
75-6099 Kuakini Highway
96740 Kailua-Kona, HI
USA
Phone no:
www.kona.edu
http://www.educations.com/study-abroad/american-pacific-university/

I think this institution no longer exists. There are a number of discussions on the PhD programs from there in the past, as well as complaints, on the internet.

AnonyMary

I see no complaints about him on the internet regarding his alternative practices activities... a good thing. However, something the cult will no doubt bring up is some unrelated but questionable past activities which are noted in multiple places on the internet.

I'm going to lay out the facts that I came across, to offset any future distortions and black PR that the cult may do on him regarding his previous career. Sheen is a also a former Certified Financial Planner who changed careers to alternative medicine. His career and writing about Financial Planning are referred to in his wiki page
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Sheen

However, his license revocation is not:

Certified Financial Planner Board Board of Standards revoked his CFP license 20 years ago

Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards, Inc
Disciplined Individuals by State

CFP Board's public disciplinary action can take one of three forms — a public Letter of Admonition, a temporary suspension of the individual's CFP® certification or a permanent revocation of the individual's CFP® certification — depending on the severity of the breach, any mitigating or aggravating circumstances, and the individual's cooperation with the Board's investigation.

Revoked:
Brian J. Sheen (Boca Raton)
http://www.cfp.net/about-cfp-board/ethics-enforcement/disciplined-individuals-by-state

... further research shows that the above as in regards to activities in the 90s that resulted in his being censored and sanctioned by the SEC resulting in his broker license being suspended for a year by the SEC due to regulatory violations, and then not agreeing to ( or being able to comply with ) the financial result he tried to appeal and lost. That his license was later revoked for the very non-payment of the fine levied in that matter first publicly noted in March 1995 in this SEC News Digest:

COMMISSION SUSTAINS NASD DISCIPLINARY ACTION AGAINST SHEEN FINANCIAL
RESOURCES AND BRIAN SHEEN
The Commission has sustained NASD disciplinary action against Sheen Financial Resources, Inc., a former NASD member firm, and Brian JeffreySheen of Boca Raton, Florida, that firm's former president and chief executive officer. The Commission found that the firm, through Sheen,violated the firm's restrictive agreement with the NASD by failing to file with that self-regulatory organization ten identified advertisements and certain sales literature. The Commission also determined that the failure to file the sales literature also violated a specific filing requirement, applicable to investment companies, set forth in an NASD rule.

Additionally, the Commission found that all but one of the advertisements, as well as the sales literature, contained exaggerated,unwarranted, and misleading statements; a majority of the advertisements failed to disclose, as NASD rules require, the firm's identity; and the sales literature failed to include performance data for the investment company securities offered, as well as related disclose required by NASD rules and a Commission rule under the Investment Company Act of 1940.

The Commission sustained the NASD's censure of both the firm and Sheen and $7,500 joint and several fine, noting in particular that the firm and Sheen had evaded NASD scrutiny of their communications with the public by flouting the terms of the restrictive agreement. (ReI. 34-35477)

https://www.sec.gov/news/digest/1995/dig032095.pdf

FINRA Report (Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, Inc.)

BRIAN J. SHEEN (CRD# 843742)

Disclosure 1 ( 1 of 4)
Reporting Source: Regulator
Details:
11-12-95-SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION NEWS DIGEST ISSUE NO. 95-211, 11/1/95: THE SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION INSTITUTED PROCEEDINGS UNDER THE INVESTMENT ADVISERS ACT OF 1940 (ADVISERS ACT) AGAINST BRIAN JEFFREY SHEEN, FORMERLY THE PRESIDENT, CEO AND SOLE SHAREHOLDER OF SHEEN INVESTMENT ADVISORY SERVICES, INC. (SIAS), AN INVESTMENT ADVISOR REGISTERED WITH THE SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION FROM 12/86 TO 2/95. THE ORDER ALLEGED THAT SIAS VIOLATED AND SHEEN WILLFULLY AIDED AND ABETTED AND CAUSED VIOLATIONS OF SECTIONS 204, 206(2), AND 206(4) OF THE ADVISERS ACT, AND RULES 204-1(B)(1), 204-2, 204-3(C), 206(4)-1(A)(5), 206(4)-2 AND 206(4)-4(A)(2) THEREUNDER, IN THAT, SIAS NASD DISTRICTRIBUTED MATERIALLY FALSE AND MISLEADING ADS,FAILED TO DISCLOSE MATERIAL FACTS PERTAINING TO SHEEN'S BACKGROUND AND COMPENSATION, USED CONTRACTS CONTAINING PROHIBITED LANGUAGE (HEDGE CLAUSES), AND FAILED TO COMPLY WITH THE RECORDKEEPING AND REPORTING PROVISIONS OF THE ADVISERS ACT. A HEARING WILL BE SCHEDULED TO DETERMINE IF THE ALLEGATIONS ARE TRUE AND, IF ANY, REMEDIAL SANCTIONS, INCLUDING THE ASSESSMENTS OF ADMINISTRATIVE MONEY PENALTIES AND THE ENTRY OF CEASE- AND-DESIST ORDER, ARE APPROPIRATE. REL IA-1533

05-03-96, SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION NEWS DIGEST ISSUE NO. 96-81, 5/1/96: ON 4/30, THE SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION ENTERED AN ORDER FINDING AND IMPOSING REMEDIAL SANCTIONS AGAINST SHEEN. IT PROVIDES THAT SHEEN SHALL CEASE AND DESIST FROM COMMITTING OR CAUSING VIOLATIONS OR FUTURE VIOLATIONS OF SECTIONS 204, 206(2), AND (206(4) OF THE ADVISERS ACT AND RULES 204-1(b)(1), 204-2, 204-3(c), 206(4)-1(a)(5), 206(4)-2 AND 206(4)-4(a)(2) THEREUNDER; SHALL BE BARRED FROM ASSOCIATION WITH ANY BROKER, DEALER, MUNICIPAL SECURITIES DEALER, INVESTMENT COMPANY OR INVESTMENT ADVISER WITH THE RIGHT TO REAPPLY AFTER 1 YEAR FROM THE ORDER DATE; AND AN ADMINISTRATIVE PENALTY NOT BE IMPOSED BASED ON A DEMONSTRATED INABILITY TO PAY. SHEEN CONSENTED TO THE ORDER WITHOUT ADMITTING OR DENYING ANY OF THE FINDINGS EXCEPT AS TO JURISDICTION, WHICH HE ADMITTED. (REL.IA-1561)

Disclosure 2
Reporting Source: Regulator
Details:
COMPLAINT NO. C07910083 FILED JUNE 24, 1991 BY NASD DISTRICT NO. 7 AGAINST RESPONDENTS SHEEN FINANCIAL RESOURCES, INC. AND BRIAN JEFFREY SHEEN ALLEGING VIOLATIONS OF ARTICLE
PRACTICE IN THAT RESPONDENT MEMBER, ACTING THROUGH RESPONDENT SHEEN FAILED TO SUBMIT TO THE NASD ALL ADVERTISEMENTS AND SALES LITERATURE AS REQUIRED BY ITS RESTRICTIVE AGREEMENT; AND, IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OF THESE ADVERTISEMENTS, OMITTED INFORMATION NECESSARY TO PROVIDE A SOUND BASIS FOR EVALUATING THE FACTS WITH RESPECT TO THE RETURNS AND STRATEGIES THEREIN AND MADE UNWARRANTED AND PROMISSORY QUOTATIONS OF POSSIBLE RETURNS.

AMENDED COMPLAINT NO.C07910083 FILED FEBRUARY 19, 1992 BY NASD DISTRICT NO. 7 AGAINST RESPONDENTS SHEEN FINANCIAL RESOURCES, INC. AND BRIAN JEFFREY SHEEN WHEREIN THE ALLEGATIONS REMAIN THE SAME.

DECISION RENDERED APRIL 27, 1993, WHEREIN RESPONDENTS ARE CENSURED, FINED $7,500, JOINTLY AND SEVERALLY, AND ASSESSED COSTS OF $1,463, JOINTLY AND SEVERALLY. IF NO FURTHER ACTION, DECISION IS FINAL JUNE 11, 1993.

MAY 11, 1993 - APPEALED TO THE NASD NATIONAL BUSINESS CONDUCT COMMITTEE.
NASD NATIONAL BUSINESS CONDUCT COMMITTEE DECISION RENDERED JANUARY 4, 1994, WHEREIN THE FINDINGS MADE AND THE SANCTIONS IMPOSED ARE AFFIRMED. IF NO FURTHER ACTION, DECISION IS FINAL FEBRUARY 3, 1994.

FEBRUARY 8, 1994 - APPEALED TO THE SEC.
SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION DECISION RENDERED MARCH 13, 1995, WHEREIN THE FINDINGS MADE AND THE SANCTIONS IMPOSED ARE AFFIRMED. IF NO FURTHER ACTION, DECISION IS FINAL MAY 12, 1995.

MAY 12, 1995 - DECISION IS FINAL.
***REVOKED FOR NON-PAYMENT OF FINE ON 01/19/96***
***JOINT & SEVERAL OUTSTANDING BALANCE OF $7,961.75***

Brian Jeffrey Sheen

Previous Registration(s)
09/1988 - 11/1993
SHEEN FINANCIAL RESOURCES, INC. (CRD# 22498)
FINRA expelled the firm in 01/1996
08/1984 - 10/1988
INTEGRATED RESOURCES EQUITY CORPORATION (CRD# 6403)
06/1983 - 07/1984
PRIVATE LEDGER FINANCIAL SERVICES, INCORPORATED (CRD# 6413)
12/1982 - 05/1983
BNL SECURITIES INC. (CRD# 10641)
08/1982 - 12/1982
INDEPENDENT FINANCIAL PLANNERS CORPORATION (CRD# 653)
05/1981 - 04/1982
E. F. HUTTON & COMPANY INC (CRD# 235)
09/1979 - 06/1981
MERRILL LYNCH, PIERCE, FENNER & SMITH INCORPORATED (CRD# 7691)
02/1978 - 09/1979
DEAN WITTER REYNOLDS INC. (CRD# 7556)
12/1977 - 02/1978
REYNOLDS SECURITIES, INC. (CRD# 712)
10/1977 - 11/1977
BACHE HALSEY STUART SHIELDS INCORPORATED (CRD# 7471)
http://brokercheck.finra.org/Individual/Summary/843742

I do see a changed person, doing work he enjoys, and helping others. Non harmful non-medical means for helping for children and adults with ADHD is a good thing. I didn't look much into all that he works on with patients but as long as no harm is done.. I won't knock it or him.

He's a father and wants to do what he can to stop disconnection. Despite his colorful and varied past, I say we show some support for him. It takes money, effort and guts to sue Scientology, regardless of the win or loss in the end. I suspect there is more to come from this lawsuit, more to help expose Scientology. Brian gets my support on this:thumbsup:

Last edited:

CommunicatorIC

OP EDITED AGAIN TO ADD:

Palm Beach Post: Boynton Beach man claims Scientology keeping him from daughter

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/n...h-man-claims-scientology-keeping-him-f/nmwwy/

BOYNTON BEACH — A Boynton Beach father says The Church of Scientology is keeping him from a relationship with his daughter, and now he is making his situation public with the hopes that he can stand up for other families who are going through the same thing.

“Thousands of others are like this,” Brian Sheen said. “If they’re silent about it maybe that’s my mission here; I have to speak for those who cannot speak.”

Sheen, who left the church decades ago, said he and his daughter Spring, 38, had a loving and close relationship. He attended his daughter’s wedding in November and then he received a letter in April from the church saying he could not speak with her anymore. Sheen said he’s sent letters to the church asking for clarification as to what he did wrong, but he hasn’t received a response.

A request for comment from the church hadn’t been answered by Friday afternoon.

Scientology has been reported about widely in the media and more recently was the subject of a documentary this year titled, “Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief.” The religion made headlines during the public downfall of the relationship between Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise, a member of the church.

Scientology “recognizes that man is basically good and offers tools anyone can use to become happier and more able as a person and to improve conditions in life for himself and others, and to gain a profound understanding of the Supreme Being and his relationship to the Divine,” according to the religion’s website.

Sheen was also a member of the church but said he decided to leave about 40 years ago because of differences he had with the religion. His daughter and her mother are members, and Sheen said he always supported his daughter in that. He said his brother recently entered back into the church and thinks he might have something to do with the letter he received.

The letter came by Fed Ex in April and labeled Sheen a “suppressive” person. The church defines a suppressive person as one who “actively seeks to suppress or damage Scientology or a Scientologist by Suppressive acts,” according to the letter. Sheen said the letter says if he doesn’t follow the church rules he will be kept in this position and won’t be able to speak to his daughter again. And, if his daughter does speak to Sheen, she would lose her marriage and wouldn’t be able to speak to her friends and her mother, Sheen said.

Sheen says the church discriminated against him because of his religious beliefs. On July 4 he filed a Civil Rights complaint. He’s also created a website to spread awareness and is calling for politicians to get involved and demand the church either stop the disconnection policy, or make interested church members aware they might have to disconnect with friends or family not associated with Scientology.

“What I’m hoping to do is be able to help other people because I know there are hundreds and thousands of other people across the country like me,” Sheen said. “I’m not the first person here.”

Leland

Crusader

This story was on the local TV News here in Tampa this evening....