What's new

Federal suit: Scientologist spent $30 million to cover up death of Lisa McPherson

xseaorguk

Patron Meritorious
Re: Rathbun Federal Suit regarding Lisa McPherson #30 million cover-up

this is probably the best way for Rathburn to finance his future life anyway.
All the "thousands" of people he is auditing up the alternative bridge is obviously not making enough bucks.
Nothing will come of it, apart from Marty gets what he really wants, and that is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCkOmcIl79s

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP

It really seems like there is a standard lawsuit format going - embarass the church with some of it's dirty laundry, then hold out a pen for them to fill in a number on their check with a lot of zeros in it.....

This one seems to be going the same direction.

This doesn't seem quite "standard". I say this because it involves some dirty laundry of not just of the CoS but some public officials as well. It looks potentially explosive and I don't think that Miscavige can simply sign a check and make this all go away. He might be packing his bags for Bulgravia after reading that deposition. This looks like something that can take him down. The non-scio community in Clearwater is going to be up in arms when this all sinks in; they'll be demanding heads on a pike. :biggrin:

Sharone Stainforth

Silver Meritorious Patron

This doesn't seem quite "standard". I say this because it involves some dirty laundry of not just of the CoS but some public officials as well. It looks potentially explosive and I don't think that Miscavige can simply sign a check and make this all go away. He might be packing his bags for Bulgravia after reading that deposition. This looks like something that can take him down. The non-scio community in Clearwater is going to be up in arms when this all sinks in; they'll be demanding heads on a pike. :biggrin:

Interesting times.

I think it is pretty obvious something like this had to be going on, because it has always been going on in Scientology, Scientology has never been able to stand up to scrutiny by itself, it always required money.

Oh, the irony. :biggrin:

NoName

A Girl Has No Name

I was thinking this last night too. This could very well be a kill shot. Why now, though? That's what I can't quite make sense of. I tend to agree with Smurf that the SoL would be 3-5 on most of this. The absolute outer limit might be 10 yrs on some of the worse stuff that Marty admitted (there is, of course, no SoL on murder, so I'm sure his version of events will put the blame for that soully on DM's shoulders).

So why not when the statute first ran - why now? Has Marty been waiting for specific individuals to defect? Has Marty been waiting for the Martyites to reach critical mass? So many questions......

:confused2:

Got any ideas Smurf? There certainly is no obvious legal strategy that I can see playing out. I mean yeah he is doing this for Dandar, but no strategy as far as having waited until right now. So that leaves Machiavellian strategy, and I'm not familiar enough with the inner circle of former high ranking BDA's to understand how that might be playing out.

Meanwhile, emergency hearing on Monday. :drama:

Would it be too much to hope for a perp walk and Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade in the same week?

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP

It will be interesting to see if Mike Rinder agrees to be depo'd? <snip>

Tony O had a conversation about that very subject with Marty:

We asked Rathbun about that: Would Dandar be deposing Mike Rinder, Scientology’s former executive who ran its legal affairs wing?

“I think he already has,” Rathbun responded, and he pointed to the confident way that Dandar spoke in the WTSP report.

“I think he just set them up,” Rathbun added, referring to Scientology asking to strike his testimony. “Dandar has Rinder’s deposition, corroborating me, in his back pocket.”

http://ortegaunderground.wordpress....llions-to-influence-florida-judges/#more-1104

Pooks

MERCHANT OF CHAOS

“I think he just set them up,” Rathbun added, referring to Scientology asking to strike his testimony. “Dandar has Rinder’s deposition, corroborating me, in his back pocket.”

http://ortegaunderground.wordpress.c...ges/#more-1104

tumblr_mb7dxj9lVi1qjuetx.gif

Why now, though? That's what I can't quite make sense of. [
Because they are Fair gaming Dandar now, trying to prevent him from taking on other Scientology clients, so he is running the Scientology play book on them - attack the attackers, noisy investigation, etc. It's all because they are PTS, have overts and witholds, and are pulling it in. Not to mention David is trying to destroy him financially and now has a tiger by the tail.

Mimsey

shadow

Patron with Honors

Because they are Fair gaming Dandar now, trying to prevent him from taking on other Scientology clients, so he is running the Scientology play book on them - attack the attackers, noisy investigation, etc. It's all because they are PTS, have overts and witholds, and are pulling it in. Not to mention David is trying to destroy him financially and now has a tiger by the tail.

Mimsey

I think you nailed it Mimsey. With scn trying to utterly destroy Dandar, they have backed him into a corner and he has no option but to strike back hard. He is fighting for his survival (look at what they did to Graham Berry) and at this point in time there are enough high level defectors that are talking that Dandar has a fighting chance. I am hoping enough truth will come out with sufficient corroboration to prevent scn from further burying the truth, and Dandar with it.

What I wonder is how any of the Scio's will deal with this illegal behavior by the highest church execs, presuming it gets legs and they become aware of it. Will it be ok with them because it is for the greatest good? Or will it be swept under the carpet - oh that's old news. We don't do that now...

Mimsey

Veda

Sponsor

Rathbun hasn't exactly spilled the beans. However, he has placed a few beans on the table. He certainly took his time doing so. Yet, better late then never.

I notice that Tikk had this comment:

"Marty's testimony is somewhat scattered and difficult to pin down, since he's mostly on the fringe of the allegations, not often a direct witness to it. He'd be more helpful to Dandar if he discusses particular ways in which he himself conspired and carried out actions to scuttle Dandar's case."

Still, according to Rathbun, Rinder has, or will be, giving Dandar his testimony, so this is an ongoing situation.

As always, one hopes for the best.

As usual, the comments over at MartyWorld are at enthusiasm on the Tone Scale:

"Marty Rathbun is going to single-handedly take down the cult of Scientology."

Onward with the intra-Scientology war! :happydance:

Jquepublic

Dandar is the one suing the church. See this link for more data: https://ortegaunderground.wordpress...y-using-state-courts-to-cause-him-utter-ruin/

It really seems like there is a standard lawsuit format going - embarass the church with some of it's dirty laundry, then hold out a pen for them to fill in a number on their check with a lot of zeros in it.....

This one seems to be going the same direction. Who's deposition is going to be released to the media next ? Rinder? Debbie? One of the ex parte judges?

Mimsey

Mike's probably, but I'm hoping for Don Jason's.

Don was in this thing up to his eyeballs, he was made "unavailable" for interviewing/deposing throughout the trial. He has NEVER told his story of the events that led up to Lisa's death or the cover up that ensued.

Come on, Jason!! Man up already. You know what happened. You need to tell the rest of us.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP

As usual, the comments over at MartyWorld are at enthusiasm on the Tone Scale:

"Marty Rathbun is going to single-handedly take down the cult of Scientology."

Translation: "Marty Rathbun is going to single-handedly take down David Miscavige, the source of evil in this sector of the universe."

Jquepublic

Good news piece and article from Channel 10 News in Tampa.

There's an emergency court hearing Monday on the Church's motion to have all of Marty Rathbun's testimony thrown out.

Megalomaniac

Marty got that part wrong, that wasn't "the straw that broke his back", that was in 96/7, winter, it was cold out, his back was just fine for many years until the symptoms of battle fatigue ensued.

Source:

and all the browbeating he recieved on the net did affect him...

Woops. I hadn't read your earlier post, before I posted.

Might be good if you testified, too, then.

idrizomare

Patron with Honors

Some thoughts on the deposition ...

It's odd to me that Marty offered up exactly one hour. Why the limit if exposing Miscavige's crimes is so important to him?

In the deposition, Marty says that they didn't commit any felonies. It makes it sound like everything done was legal.

Marty's statements ramble on and are vague. He's unclear on some key details.

Much of what Marty says is second hand. He talks about things he thought were going on. Important things happened after his involvement ended. He can't tie Miscavige to anything important because (claimed) Miscavige created the necessary separation. It all sounds weak to me.

It's odd that Ken Dandar, the plaintiff in the case, is deposing Marty instead of Dandar's lawyer. It makes the deposition look like Dandar is trying to get Marty to say specific things. I'm no legal wizard but it doesn't read well.

Marty's description of noisy investigations contains a little nugget of boneheadedness. He says that per Hubbard, noisy investigations are allowed. Since this is a court case about the real world instead of the make-believe Scientology world, whether noisy investigations are sanctioned by Hubbard or not is irrelevant. I also like Marty's excursion about how this sort of thing was necessary in the 1950's...

Forgive my laziness about this next part. The litigation surrounding and spun off from the Lisa McPherson case is dizzyingly complex. I think Dandar is suing the Church to defend himself against having to pay $1 million (or so) in legal fees stemming from an agreement Dandar signed not to be involved in litigation against the Church of Scientology. If that's so, this deposition sounds completely irrelevant to Dandar's lawsuit.

I imagine the Church's move to exclude this deposition will be based on its irrelevance and its hearsay nature.

One bright point I see is that I've read a great deal of discouragement about Scientology escaping the Lisa McPherson case with no damage. It's clear that Scientology sustained major damage, as did many others who were involved.

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free

Some thoughts on the deposition ...

It's odd to me that Marty offered up exactly one hour. Why the limit if exposing Miscavige's crimes is so important to him?

In the deposition, Marty says that they didn't commit any felonies. It makes it sound like everything done was legal.

Marty's statements ramble on and are vague. He's unclear on some key details.

Much of what Marty says is second hand. He talks about things he thought were going on. Important things happened after his involvement ended. He can't tie Miscavige to anything important because (claimed) Miscavige created the necessary separation. It all sounds weak to me.

It's odd that Ken Dandar, the plaintiff in the case, is deposing Marty instead of Dandar's lawyer. It makes the deposition look like Dandar is trying to get Marty to say specific things. I'm no legal wizard but it doesn't read well.

Marty's description of noisy investigations contains a little nugget of boneheadedness. He says that per Hubbard, noisy investigations are allowed. Since this is a court case about the real world instead of the make-believe Scientology world, whether noisy investigations are sanctioned by Hubbard or not is irrelevant. I also like Marty's excursion about how this sort of thing was necessary in the 1950's...

Forgive my laziness about this next part. The litigation surrounding and spun off from the Lisa McPherson case is dizzyingly complex. I think Dandar is suing the Church to defend himself against having to pay $1 million (or so) in legal fees stemming from an agreement Dandar signed not to be involved in litigation against the Church of Scientology. If that's so, this deposition sounds completely irrelevant to Dandar's lawsuit.

I imagine the Church's move to exclude this deposition will be based on its irrelevance and its hearsay nature.

One bright point I see is that I've read a great deal of discouragement about Scientology escaping the Lisa McPherson case with no damage. It's clear that Scientology sustained major damage, as did many others who were involved.

Dandar is representing himself in this case, I believe. So there is nothing improper about him deposing Marty. In depositions, the attorneys can ask any questions and the person has to answer.

The point, I believe, in having Marty deposed, before he's even listed as a witness in the case, is probably that Marty wanted his answers on the record like Dandar did. The reason this inormation is needed is that Dandar is claiming he's been railroaded by the court system ( financially, professionally and reflecting on his license to practice) on the Brennan case and long before way back to the Lisa McPherson case because of Scientology's interference, the overall special interests and illegal judicial interference implied in Marty's testimony.

Marty definitely sometimes gave vague or general statements that appear to be second or third hand but there is enough first person statements in this depo that will open up a can of worms the Pinellas County politicians, gov't and judiciary will not want opened. The Lee Fugate (and that local politician in Clearwater ) information is damning and supports Dandar's claims in part. More will come of this.

:drama:

idrizomare

Patron with Honors

Marty definitely sometimes gave vague or general statements that appear to be second or third hand but there is enough first person statements in this depo that will open up a can of worms the Pinellas County politicians, gov't and judiciary will not want opened. The Lee Fugate (and that local politician in Clearwater ) information is damning and supports Dandar's claims in part. More will come of this.
:drama:

Thank you, Mary. I hope it all leads somewhere good.

AlphOhm

Traveler of time/space

I'd say "well done Marty"...but really it isn't.

You're still trying to give up David Miscaviage's overts for him, while hoping that yours are overlooked?

Perhaps you should clay demo "What is an unindicted co conspirator? "
Follow that with a clay demo of "What is the difference between manslaughter, murder one and murder two?"
Lastly a clay demo of "What are statutes of limitations for crimes in the US?"

Hope this helps.

PS--FWIW, thank you for continuing to bring the attention to Scientology that it deserves.

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP

I'd say "well done Marty"...but really it isn't.

You're still trying to give up David Miscaviage's overts for him, while hoping that yours are overlooked?

Watch Marty's body language during the depo. Arms crossed, leaning back in chair, Marty seems tense & telling a story versus giving a deposition.

If the Federal Court on Monday denies the cult's lawsuit to throw his testimony out.. and I suspect they will.. the real fireworks will come when the cult deposes Marty. But, the Court could toss it out because the depo was not taken by Dandar's attorney. It is unusual & can be seen as self-serving for a defendant in a lawsuit to preside over a deposition, instead of his lawyer.