What's new

Flag Down 2014

Leland

Crusader
One does not need a permit to protest anywhere in Clearwater. It is wise, however, to notify the CPD of your presence, so they have cops monitoring the scene, which encourages the Sci-bots, in most cases, to behave themselves.

Yes, I'm aware of that. I have talked to Clearwater police, and have protested there several times. My question is about a large group. I was wondering if different laws applied. For example, a protester cannot block the sidewalk. This is not a problem for one or even a few protesters. But my thought is what if there are 50 or 100? I suppose Flag Down 2014 has checked it all out, but I worry.

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP
Yes, I'm aware of that. I have talked to Clearwater police, and have protested there several times. My question is about a large group. I was wondering if different laws applied. For example, a protester cannot block the sidewalk. This is not a problem for one or even a few protesters. But my thought is what if there are 50 or 100? I suppose Flag Down 2014 has checked it all out, but I worry.

Nope. There are no city ordinances that require you get a permit. I'm sure the Clearwater folks coordinating the conference are aware of that.

TG1

Angelic Poster
There's been a lot of preparation for the Flag Down event - headed up by Pete Griffiths who started the SPs 'r' US Facebook group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/325785144156523/

I would suggest that you check with Pete to see what the arrangements are.

You can also reach Pete here at ESMB under the nick xenusdad.

Best,

TG1

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
Scientology critics gather for week long conference

Tampa Bay Times: Scientology critics gather for week long conference
http://www.tampabay.com/news/scient...ek-long-conference-in-clearwater-area/2178314

By Joe Childs, Times Staff Writer

Several critics of the Church of Scientology, including the great-grandson of church founder L. Ron Hubbard, are scheduled to speak this week at a local conference organizers say will draw attention to "human rights abuses'' within the Scientology community.

Called "Flag Down 2014,'' the conference is a series of presentations planned today through Friday at various mid and North Pinellas venues. On Saturday, organizers plan a public protest of Scientology in downtown Clearwater.

But the church already has taken steps to at least partially restrict the protestors.

The conference, which is free and open to the public, begins at 6:30 p.m. today at the Minnreg hall, 6340 126th Ave. in Largo. Organizer Pete Griffiths, of Ireland, who was a Scientologist for 21 years before leaving in 2008, said a rotation of speakers will talk throughout the week. They include former Scientologists, writers and others with deep knowledge of the church.

British journalist Russell Miller, author of Bare-faced Messiah, the noted Hubbard biography vigorously opposed by the church, is on the roster.

Author and BBC journalist John Sweeney, who has reported several stories on Scientology, will speak today. His book, Church of Fear: Inside the Weird World of Scientology, was published in 2013.

Griffiths said speakers will discuss a range of topics, including church working conditions, its money-raising tactics and Scientology's shunning practice, called disconnection.

Tuesday's session begins at 6:30 p.m., also at the Minnreg building. Wednesday afternoon and evening, organizers plan a bus tour of church facilities in Clearwater, where in 1976 Scientology established its worldwide spiritual center — known as the Flag Land Base.

Thursday night, more informational sessions are planned at a Clearwater Beach restaurant. Friday night, participants return to the Minnreg building for a performance by Jamie DeWolf, a slam poet, comedian and writer.

He is the grandson of Ron DeWolf, who was born L. Ron Hubbard Jr. The younger Hubbard claimed to have helped his father propel the Scientology movement in the 1950s. He later denounced Hubbard and changed his name.

Jamie DeWolf also became a sharp critic. He won acclaim this year for his spoken word piece, The God or The Man, which focused on his great-grand father. He is scheduled to speak Friday night at Minnreg.

Organizers said they plan to present live streamed video of each presentation on the conference's website http://www.FlagDown.org.

Saturday's protest is scheduled to begin at midday and go until 5 p.m. Organizers said protestors intend to march peacefully near church properties.

They will find some sidewalks closed. The church recently secured city permits to close the sidewalk in front of its landmark Fort Harrison Hotel, saying workers will do test borings near buried utility lines. Also closed Saturday will be the sidewalk on the south side of Scientology's new Flag Building, which opened in November.

The church did not respond to a request for comment about the conference, the protest or its move to close sidewalks.

Clearwater Mayor George Cretekos said organizers invited him and other City Council members to attend the conference. He wrote back, saying the officials had a conflict.

He said a Flag Down representative discussed the planned protest with city and police officials.

"I would hope any demonstration follows our guidelines and gives them an opportunity to express their free speech rights, without any problems,'' he said.
Comments are open at http://www.tampabay.com/news/scient...ek-long-conference-in-clearwater-area/2178314

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP
Re: Scientology Foes Gather in Protest This Week at Conferences

Boring testing. Yeah sure!! Why didn't they just seek a film permit to close down the sidewalks? Who's doing the digging? EPF'ers?

Dumbshit mayor has a conflict..but has no problem attending a Hare Krishna-inspired event.

10314593_692803034094082_7389944872788722688_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/pages/George-Cretekos-Mayor-of-Clearwater/391736547534067

Leland

Crusader
I expect a lot of shrubbery tech and use of vans and such to shield as much c of s property as they can. :omg: :p

Sindy

Crusader
Pete Griffiths is amazing organizing all this from Ireland and getting his ass on a plane to get here. He really made this happen. Bravo Xenusdad, along with everyone else contributing to this week's festivities.

The clock ticks ever more loudly.

Last edited:

In present time

Gold Meritorious Patron
Pete Griffiths is amazing organizing all this from Ireland and getting his ass on a plane to get here. He really made this happen. Bravo Xenusdad, along with everyone else contributing to this week's festivities.

The clock ticks ever more loudly.

someone mentioned live streamin of the events?
the only way i couod have come is if my mother "dropped the body", so there's the upshot to having to sit this one out. sure
y it would have been the most fun trip i ever took to florida. and the ONLY trip where i wasn't giving one cult or another thousands of dollars.

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
Flag Down drama — Mark Bunker kicked out by conference organizer

Tony Ortega: Flag Down drama — Mark Bunker kicked out by conference organizer
http://tonyortega.org/2014/05/05/flag-down-drama-mark-bunker-kicked-out-by-conference-organizer/

Excerpt:
We just heard from longtime Scientology critic Mark Bunker, who has just been summarily ejected from the Flag Down 2014 conference in Clearwater by organizer Laura Flynn.

“I just got kicked out and so did Tom Smith,” Bunker told us by telephone.

Leading up to the days of the conference, Flynn had been saying at the WWP forum that she didn’t want Bunker at the conference because she said it might cause the conference trouble. Bunker has an existing permanent injunction against him taken out by Scientology because of protests that happened more than a decade ago. But that injunction requires him to stay away from Scientology buildings and Scientologists, not critics at a conference.

Bunker tells us he arrived at the conference with local radio host Tom Smith, who was also kicked out by Flynn.

Magoo

Gold Meritorious Patron
I can see why you say that but it really IS part of Clearwater.

(If you do a google search you'll see it come up as a Clearwater address)

The border of Clearwater is kind of strange, extending south of Largo and splitting Dunedin to the north.

EDIT: I take that back about "splitting Dunedin to the north". Apparently that's the town of Safety Harbor on the northeast border of Clearwater and not Dunedin.

pinellas_map.png

I lived in Largo, FL from 1979-1982.
VERRRRRRRRRRRRY Happily we left!

Great talks: Thank you ALL :cheers:

Tory/Magoo