What's new

Folder Organization Disaster

Björkist

Silver Meritorious Patron
One day...

I was helping out in Div 4 at a major org and had taken it upon myself to clean, organize and alphabetize the absolute mess that was the PC folder storage room. The method of filing seemed to be forcing the door open as far as it would go (requiring almost all of one's strength) and holding it as one tossed in whatever was being stored there; PC folders as well as any unused chairs, boxes of old promo and any other random, broken equipment that no one else knew what to do with.

In a few of days of working on this project by myself, I had made quite a bit of progress with several hundred folders grouped in their appropriate alphabetic stacks and general organization/cleanliness. The floor was now visible, there was no need to scuttle over mountainous waves of random PC worksheets and disintegrating folders and now a person maxing out at roughly 300lbs could move easily through without stepping on a folder or knocking anything over...but the project was far from being completed.

A few days later, I walk in for my shift and some older female staff member (I never knew her name) runs right up to me and instantly starts screaming, "I heard about the god damn mess you made of the PC folders. What the hell is wrong with you?...blah, blah, blah, etc, etc, etc."

I was confused because the room was in much better shape than when I had started the project. Or so I thought...

What had occurred was that the DTS had gone into the room to retrieve a folder which just happened to be at the bottom of a large stack, which happened to be next to another couple of large stacks.

Instead of removing the folders on top of the one she needed, taking it and leaving, she wiggled and pulled and tried to finagle the lone folder out thus causing the contents of about 200+ PC folders, in that and nearby stacks, to fall over onto the unsorted ones and get all scattered and mixed together. (Anyone who has worked in a Div 4 knows how old, torn folders packed with worksheets and no rubber bands or re-enforcements can be)

If I had been as verbose and confrontational (some would say "rude and entheta"), as I am now she would have gotten an even louder earful than she was giving me, with the added ingredients of a few "FUCK YOUs" and maybe one really loud "GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY FACE YOU ROTTEN SKANKY BITCH!!!", but, alas, I was shocked and dazed since 1. I didn't know what the hell she was talking about and 2. the last thing I was expecting upon walking into the org was to be yelled at by some unknown person on that bright, sunshiny morning!

Last edited:

Pascal

Silver Meritorious Patron
One day...

I was helping out in Div 4 at a major org and had taken it upon myself to clean, organize and alphabetize the absolute mess that was the PC folder storage room. The method of filing seemed to be forcing the door open as far as it would go (requiring almost all of one's strength) and holding it as one tossed in whatever was being stored there...such as folders as well as any unused chairs, boxes of old promo and any other random, broken equipment that no one else knew what to do with.

In a few of days of working on this project by myself, I had made quite a bit of progress with several hundred folders grouped in their appropriate alphabetic stacks and general organization/cleanliness. The floor was now visible, there was no need to scuttle over mountainous waves of random PC worksheets and disintegrating folders and now a person maxing out at roughly 300lbs could move easily through without stepping on a folder or knocking anything over...but the project was far from being completed.

A few days later, I walk in for my shift and some older female staff member (I never knew her name) runs right up to me and instantly starts screaming, "I heard about the god damn mess you made of the PC folders. What the hell is wrong with you?...blah, blah, blah, etc, etc, etc."

I was confused because the room was in much better shape than when I had started the project. Or so I thought...

It happens that the DTS had gone into the folder storage room to retrieve a folder which just happened to be at the bottom of a large stack, which happened to be next to another couple of large stacks.

Instead of removing the folders on top of the one she needed, taking it and leaving, she wiggled and pulled and tried to finagle the lone folder out thus causing the contents of about 200+ PC folders, in that and nearby stacks, to fall over onto the unsorted ones and get all scattered and mixed together. (Anyone who has worked in a Div 4 knows how old, torn folders packed with worksheets and no rubber bands or re-enforcements can be)

If I had been as verbose and confrontational (some would say "rude and entheta"), as I am now she would have gotten an even louder earful than she was giving me, with the added ingredients of a few "FUCK YOUs" and maybe one really loud "GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY FACE YOU ROTTEN SKANKY BITCH!!!", but, alas, I was shocked and dazed since 1. I didn't know what the hell she was talking about and 2. the last thing I was expecting upon walking into the org was to be getting yelled at by some unknown person on that bright, sunshiny morning!

Yeah, nothing like a woman not "getting some".

SchwimmelPuckel

Genuine Meatball
Can't have been Copenhagen Org then. That stuff was never ever cleaned up there. In fact, the room with the folders had filled up and precarious stacks of folders were lining the hallway, the end of which was used a quiet corner to do sessions in. I remember having a sort of (bypassed) PTP in a session about those stacks of folders falling on my head.

:melodramatic:

alex

Gold Meritorious Patron
One day...

I was helping out in Div 4 at a major org and had taken it upon myself to clean, organize and alphabetize the absolute mess that was the PC folder storage room. The method of filing seemed to be forcing the door open as far as it would go (requiring almost all of one's strength) and holding it as one tossed in whatever was being stored there...such as folders as well as any unused chairs, boxes of old promo and any other random, broken equipment that no one else knew what to do with.

It happens that the DTS had gone into the folder storage room to retrieve a folder which just happened to be at the bottom of a large stack, which happened to be next to another couple of large stacks.

If I had been as verbose and confrontational (some would say "rude and entheta"), as I am now she would have gotten an even louder earful than she was giving me, with the added ingredients of a few "FUCK YOUs" and maybe one really loud "GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY FACE YOU ROTTEN SKANKY BITCH!!!", but, alas, I was shocked and dazed since 1. I didn't know what the hell she was talking about and 2. the last thing I was expecting upon walking into the org was to be getting yelled at by some unknown person on that bright, sunshiny morning!

I have a bit of bpc on folders after having arrived at my local AO after a days travel to be told that my folders were unavailable at the moment, that moment being an appointed time.

I had paid for fed exing, they were fes'ed before the appointment was made, so I know they arrived, and it was an AO....

Of course my folders did show up eventually, months later...My $$ still sit unused after that cycle.

Personally filing is fun for me, done a lot of it. Its practically personal time if one has an ipod...

alex

Sharky

NYO pc folders in a mixed mess too

About 30 years ago, when I was on staff at the NYO, there was a large file room where pc folders were all strewn on the floor and people walking on them and the worksheets were mixed with other folders. I told the then ED NY/Day..and he later wrote a cram on me about What An Executive Wants On His Lines. He never did anything about the files. He has worked at the FSO with his wife. As far as I know they are still there. I don't want to mention their names. About five years ago, there was an all hands at the present location of the NYO and all the files of all kinds were handled.
I have other stories that are horrendous..but this is the one that came to mind. I'm still looking for the where abouts for a good friend, Arnie Alpert.
I don't know whether he is still in or not.
Sharky:D

Jimmy Cricket

Patron with Honors

Jimmy Cricket

Patron with Honors
About 30 years ago, when I was on staff at the NYO, there was a large file room where pc folders were all strewn on the floor and people walking on them and the worksheets were mixed with other folders. I told the then ED NY/Day..and he later wrote a cram on me about What An Executive Wants On His Lines. He never did anything about the files. He has worked at the FSO with his wife. As far as I know they are still there. I don't want to mention their names. About five years ago, there was an all hands at the present location of the NYO and all the files of all kinds were handled.

Years ago, the old files at the old NY Org were kept on racks in the damp, dirty basement. I wonder how many old files were damaged by mold and mildew.