What's new

For New Scios OUT: How OSA flies on the Net

In present time

Gold Meritorious Patron
Personally, I am a big fan of the Ignore button and use it often. Rather than thinking of myself as weak or not able when I use it, I see it as a great "governor." I rarely keep someone on ignore forever, but just use it until my irritation with them dies down a bit.

If I typed everything here that I think, I swear to God I would have been perma-banned years ago.

I'm also a big fan of writing responses and then not hitting the Send button. Saves a LOT of trouble.

TG1
yes, i use the back button frequently.
it is a wonderful thing.
not because i have said something ugly about anyone, but simply because this forum does have an extreme talent for hitting all sorts of buttons.
i have never been on any forum that digs as deep.

that really is the beauty of it.

and yes, i almost hit the back button on this very post.
i constantly invalidate my own ramblings.
but this one is almost worthwhile.
or not, lol.

Pooks

MERCHANT OF CHAOS
images

:flasher:

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter
Tory's observations are correct. I saw the destruction of ARS by OSA... thankfully, ESMB was born as it was happening.

I disagree. They tried to destroy it but didn't. In the end, it was the changing nature of the net that changed. Hardly anybody does usenet anymore. It's not OSA.

MrNobody

Who needs merits?
I disagree. They tried to destroy it but didn't. In the end, it was the changing nature of the net that changed. Hardly anybody does usenet anymore. It's not OSA.

Destruction of ARS and Usenet becoming unpopular are 2 different things.

To put things in perspective:
I was running a small Usenet-Server with about 250 Groups till 2007 or so. Keeping ARS halfways readable was more work than all other groups combined, so it was the first group which I decided to no longer carry. Signal/noise ratio was just unacceptable. I carried the other groups for about 5 years longer.

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
Tory, you are great ! thank you for all you are doing. Most public scientologists don't have an inkling of all this. Hubbard was very keen on German Intelligence and propaganda, He also knew Orwell's 1984 and how to rewrite reality. That's one of the reasons DM had references to 1984 deleted from the SHSBC.

Westgrinstead, like the name, welcome!

Interesting about Hubbard and 1984, tell me more! I'll put the kettle on.:yes:

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter
Just go into any usenet newsgroup that used to get a lot of traffic in the last 90's very early 2000s. They no longer do. Message boards took their place, then, later, FB groups also became popular.

I was on ARS from 98 (before Tory and Mary joined) to present (I post like a couple times a year or so nowadays). And I have friends who were on it before 1998. It survived an RMGRP attack. It survived the sporging. What it could not survive were the internet changes. I hear from people all the time who migrated to message boards from ARS.

AnonKat

Crusader
Just go into any usenet newsgroup that used to get a lot of traffic in the last 90's very early 2000s. They no longer do. Message boards took their place, then, later, FB groups also became popular.

I was on ARS from 98 (before Tory and Mary joined) to present (I post like a couple times a year or so nowadays). And I have friends who were on it before 1998. It survived an RMGRP attack. It survived the sporging. What it could not survive were the internet changes. I hear from people all the time who migrated to message boards from ARS.

There are suprisingly still postings on ARS from time to time about Scientology

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter
There are suprisingly still postings on ARS from time to time about Scientology

Right. Not many- because most forum regulars are on ESMB, WWP, facebook groups, or aren't posting. I do have a couple net friends who actually still go there and talk about Scn.

I know people who were pretty much there in the beginning. They don't consider that OSA drove them out or fucked up the forum beyond all recognition.

MrNobody

Who needs merits?

My statistics from approximately 2002:
Killfile for ARS: 20 - 25 pages.
Killfile for the other ca. 250 groups combined: 7 pages.

ARS was just an unreadable mess for most of it's existence and this had nothing to do with the overall decline of Usenet.

tl:dr:
Correlation != causation.

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter
When I was first on a.r.s., there were many contributors there who posted all news about Scn. It was the ONLY place to go for critical stuff. There was no myspace or facebook or twitter. OCMB came a bit later, so a bit of overlap there. This forum did not exist.

Chris Owen posted to a.r.s. Bob Minton posted. Rod Keller. Rob Clark. Paper Tiger. A bunch of guys named Steve. A bunch of guys named Mike.

Minton's deceased, but the other people I've named have mostly moved on.

Message boards like this- you don't need a special server. Same with FB groups or yahoo groups.