What's new

Forbes.com Linking to White House Petition to Revoke Scientology's Tax Exempt Status

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Forbes mentions a number of petitions on their website:

There are two petitions, here and here, to eliminate exempt status for all churches. One of the petitions indicates that we might raise 71 billion per year that way. There are also a couple of petitions to revoke the exempt status of particular churches. There are a couple about Westboro Baptist church. This one is the most popular. Scientology also is the subject of a petition .
http://www.forbes.com/sites/peterjr...we-the-people-be-talking-like-pirates-arragh/

WE PETITION THE OBAMA ADMINISTRATION TO:

Recognize that the Church of Scientology is harmful to both its members and critics and revoke tax exempt status. It is obvious that the Church of Scientology is physically and psychologically abusing its members in an attempt to extort from them.

Scientology is abusing its legal classification as a religion to deny its members basic human rights and operate as a criminal organization. It is time to revoke the status it so wantonly abuses.

It is also time to recognize the Church's abuse of the United States legal system to illegally impose its will on those that would criticize Scientology and its practices and bring to light the true purpose of Scientology: to take advantage of people through extortion, intimidation, and faux-religious blind-siding.

Created: Jan 21, 2013

SIGNATURES NEEDED BY
FEBRUARY 20, 2013 TO
REACH GOAL OF 100,000 -------------------------------->

I would recommend to anyone who agrees with the text of this petition to take a few minutes and sign it. Not because the White House will actually do anything about it, but because there is the potential to use this petition along with other actions to create momentum towards this goal, especially if this petition gets some media attention, which could happen with all that's going on now.

I worked professionally in the petition business for a number of years, helping to get about 100 issues onto the ballot in about 8 different states. Even when the chance for approval is slim to none (as is the case with this one) it can be an effective political tool serving other purposes. It can be a vehicle we use to make millions of people aware of issues such as this one on revoking tax exempt status for the cult, and that in itself is a worthwhile goal imo, and one that is necessary if we are to ultimately prevail on this issue which I believe we will.

Last edited:

freethinker

Sponsor
Re: Forbes.com Linking to White House Petition to Revoke Scientology's Tax Exempt Sta

When did they up it to 100,000 sigs?

It was 25,000.

Before that it was 5,000

I think there shoud be a petition to stop the White House from raising the limit to avoid addressing petitions.

There is NO minimum required by the Constitution to petition for redress of wrongs.

In fact, there is no need for a petition website, you can petition directly.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Re: Forbes.com Linking to White House Petition to Revoke Scientology's Tax Exempt Sta

When did they up it to 100,000 sigs?

It was 25,000.

Before that it was 5,000

I think there shoud be a petition to stop the White House from raising the limit to avoid addressing petitions.

There is NO minimum required by the Constitution to petition for redress of wrongs.

In fact, there is no need for a petition website, you can petition directly.

Very true in all you said here. IMO, it's just for PR/Political purposes for the White House, to make it appear as though they actually care about our concerns.

It's quite possible though to put enough pressure on politicians to act in the public interest. Even when they really don't care it is possible to make them care. But if you can organize enough people in such a way to take coordinated action it can make a significant difference. As an example, just look at the difference that Anonymous has made.

If only 1% of the people who felt strongly about revoking Scientology's tax exemption actually were committed to working on it you'd have a formidable force to be reckoned with.

Sandie

Patron with Honors

Forbes mentions a number of petitions on their website:

I would recommend to anyone who agrees with the text of this petition to take a few minutes and sign it. Not because the White House will actually do anything about it, but because there is the potential to use this petition along with other actions to create momentum towards this goal, especially if this petition gets some media attention, which could happen with all that's going on now.

I worked professionally in the petition business for a number of years, helping to get about 100 issues onto the ballot in about 8 different states. Even when the chance for approval is slim to none (as is the case with this one) it can be an effective political tool serving other purposes. It can be a vehicle we use to make millions of people aware of issues such as this one on revoking tax exempt status for the cult, and that in itself is a worthwhile goal imo, and one that is necessary if we are to ultimately prevail on this issue which I believe we will.

Thanks for making me aware of this ............DONE:
:yes:

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free

This is a relatively new petition. While it's got the Forbes' spotlight on it, I hope people will sign it.

NoName

A Girl Has No Name

Looks like the petition's stats are straight up and vertical. It would be pretty awesome if that one got up to 100k - I mean, how many petitions regarding a cult of 40k people will the White House need to see before it actually does something?

Herpderp69

Master of Shenanigans

Tax them all.

I really feel that despite the fact that I do think the Church of Scientology was created as a tax dodge, and that the Westboro Baptist Church are insane bigots, I don't like the idea of public opinion determining who is a Church or who isn't.

I think in the Church of Scientology's case, if due process of law is followed, then it would lose its tax exempt status.

And I am all for people petitioning the government to investigate and look into the situation.

But as far as the Westboro Baptist Church goes, they are religious.

If there is an investigation and there was fraud or corruption involved in there obtaining such status, then fine.

But the general idea of due process of law being compromised by public opinion is a very, very bad precedent to create.

The Anabaptist Jacques

I really feel that despite the fact that I do think the Church of Scientology was created as a tax dodge, and that the Westboro Baptist Church are insane bigots, I don't like the idea of public opinion determining who is a Church or who isn't. ...

And personally I prefer the simple solution, i.e. eliminate tax benefits to all religious institutions. Simple. Direct. Fair. Constitutional.

Unfortunately that won't happen. :sad:

... I think in the Church of Scientology's case, if due process of law is followed, then it would lose its tax exempt status. ...

I'm inclined to the view that "due process" is being followed. The problem lies in knowing what actual legally permitted evidence is available to the government to allow for proceeding on the matter. Just because some one is known to be a crook doesn't make that easy to demonstrate under legal due process. If the government should proceed without a sufficient legal basis to ensure success the blow back would be worse then allowing the church benefits to persist.

Apart from that, I agree with you sentiment.

Mark A. Baker

secretiveoldfag

Silver Meritorious Patron

Anything that draws attention to the abuse of constitutional liberties is welcome.

In global terms the treatment of Scientology by the American revenue service is an anomaly which is becoming an embarrassment.

Currently Scientology has some degree of recognition as a religon or a tax-exempt organisation in the USA, Argentina, Australia, Croatia, Indonesia, Italy, New Zealand, Portugal, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Taiwan.

Mexico recently cancelled its religious status. Time for the rest to follow suit.

Gib

Crusader

I really feel that despite the fact that I do think the Church of Scientology was created as a tax dodge, and that the Westboro Baptist Church are insane bigots, I don't like the idea of public opinion determining who is a Church or who isn't.

I think in the Church of Scientology's case, if due process of law is followed, then it would lose its tax exempt status.

And I am all for people petitioning the government to investigate and look into the situation.

If there is an investigation and there was fraud or corruption involved in there obtaining such status, then fine.

But the general idea of due process of law being compromised by public opinion is a very, very bad precedent to create.

The Anabaptist Jacques

My bold. And also in obtaining donations as in the Garcia fraud case now on the books.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP

I would agree that due process of law should be followed, and if I had written the petition it would have been to request an investigation into the circumstances where CoS got it's tax exemption. As Lawrence Wright mentioned in an interview several days ago, there is the appearance of extortion.

Being that the IRS did an about face and granted tax exempt status and tore up a 1 billion dollar tax bill the public should demand an investigation.

secretiveoldfag

Re: Bad News from Mexico

To follow on my post of 1 February reporting that Mexico had revoked the cult's religious status. This is the only reference to Mexico I have found on ESMB. It is good news.

But this morning Google delivered a news item claiming that the new president is going to use NARCONON as a model for reducing crime.

:melodramatic:

Does anyone have a Spanish-speaking contact who can tell him what he is getting involved with?

Does he really not know? I bet Unohoo is wetting himself with joy and anticipation.

secretiveoldfag