What's new

Former Scientologists urged to speak out

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/11/18/2746295.htm?section=justin

Former Scientologists urged to speak out

Independent Senator Nick Xenophon has urged people to come forward about what they may have experienced as members of the Church of Scientology, following his explosive allegations in Parliament last night.

The South Australian Senator used parliamentary privilege to launch a scathing attack on the Church of Scientology and tabled seven letters from former members of the church that alleged extensive criminal activity, claims of blackmail and coerced abortions.

He has now forwarded the letters to police and wants a Senate inquiry into the church's tax-exempt status.

The Church of Scientology has always been veiled in secrecy and controversy since it was founded by science fiction author L Ron Hubbard in 1953 and has many high-profile members across the world such as actors Tom Cruise and John Travolta.

Senator Xenophon says anyone who has concerns about their treatment at the hands of the church should speak up.

"I think it's important that people who've had bad experiences with Scientology come forward, to tell the truth," he said.

"It's important that there be a Senate inquiry into the Church of Scientology and that's why over the coming days I'll be discussing this with my colleagues on both sides of the Senate chamber so that there can be some consensus into the terms of reference."

MPs cautious

Senator Xenophon's claims have prompted some MPs to voice support for an inquiry, while others have been more cautious.

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd says they are "grave allegations" which need to be considered carefully.

"Many people in Australia have real concerns," he said.

"I share some of those concerns but let us proceed carefully and look carefully at the material which he has provided before we make a decision on further Parliamentary action."

Opposition frontbencher Christopher Pyne says he has concerns about the church's view on mental health.

Mr Pyne says the church contradicts important health advice for people with a mental illness.

"The Church of Scientology appears to believe that psychiatry, psychology and so forth is voodoo medicine and I think that is very dangerous," he said.

"I won't repeat Senator Xenophon's charges, that's a matter for him, but I certainly haven't got much truck with the Church of Scientology."

Independent MP Tony Windsor says the church's tax-exempt status needs to be examined, but Nationals Senator Barnaby Joyce would not commit to supporting an inquiry.

"Some bloke who arrived in a space ship, something about Johnny Travolta and Tom Cruise and jumping on couches and all that sort of rubbish," he said.

"I don't know - it's their religion but I don't think I'll be joining it."

Scientologists hit back

Church spokesman Cyrus Brooks has slammed the Senator's claims as an outrageous abuse of parliamentary privilege.

"He's actually not responded to a single letter Scientologists have written in," he told AM.

"Not just the church, but individual Scientologists were outraged by his statements months ago and he's marginalised Australian Scientologists by actually not responding to any single letter from them."

He says the allegations have never been put to the church by the people who have written the letters.

"We need to get the information ourselves from the Parliament because they have not been made to us," Mr Brooks said.

"We've always been willing to cooperate with any authorities on any concerns that are brought up."

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
“The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people.”
Martin Luther King, Jr.

Carmel

Crusader
Hey Folks,

Once there is a Senate Inquiry underway, we'll be asking for submissions from around the world. Right now though, we're requesting simple letters, from any and all who have first hand experience with abuses from the CofS.

There is no doubt that Prime Minister Rudd, and the leader of the opposition, Malcolm Turnbull, are being flooded with communication from Scientologists, as we speak.

Also, whilst the content of letters which 10 of us wrote have been substantiated thoroughly with all sorts of information to Senator Xenophon and certain media people, it hasn't been to the PM and the leader of the opposition.

Receiving letters with specifics (in brief bullet point form), from "victims" and/or previous "aggressors" of Scientlogy, regarding abuses at the hands of the CofS, will go a long way toward substantiating the "grave allegations" which have been made.

Please email them within the next 24 hours, and copy Nick Xenophon. If you're in Aussie, if you could also email your local federal member (see links below).

Thanks,
Carmel

PM - http://www.pm.gov.au/PM_Connect/Email_your_PM
Malcolm Turnbull - http://www.aph.gov.au/house/members/member.asp?id=885
Nick Xenophon - http://www.nickxenophon.com.au/page.php?id=63

EP - Ethics Particle

Gold Meritorious Patron
The "anchor to windward" is us.

From an address to the graduates of the US Naval Academy, circa 1963:

Links in the Chain

The cadets and alumni of the Military Academy at West Point are known as the “Long Grey Line". Midshipmen and Alumni from the Naval Academy are “links in the chain”. This term is derived from the anchor chain that holds a ship in safety in harbor or is deployed to counter the effects of a storm.

As Admiral R.A. Hopwood, Royal Navy noted in his epic Laws of the Navy;

On the strength of one link in the cable,

Dependeth the might of the chain.

Who knows when thou may’st be tested,

So live that thou bearest the strain.

end quote.

Something to keep in mind during the days ahead - remembering that the rhetoric can be inspiring from either side...trust your heart and it will all come out fine.

We ARE the "alumni" and far outweigh in numbers, training and experience, all those remaining "in".

EP

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
As Admiral R.A. Hopwood, Royal Navy noted in his epic Laws of the Navy;

On the strength of one link in the cable,

Dependeth the might of the chain.

Who knows when thou may’st be tested,

So live that thou bearest the strain.

end quote.

Great quote and great comment, EP.

HappyGirl

Gold Meritorious Patron
Senator Xenophon? Is this for real?

Yes, Mac, that's really his name. Much note was taken of it on the thread with the link to his speech to the Australian "senate" or whatever they call it over there. You will really want to check out that thread.

Megalomaniac

Silver Meritorious Patron
"I certainly haven't got much truck with the Church of Scientology."

Aussie -> English translation, please. :prettyplease:

"much time for..." :D

:thankyou:

I sent an e-mail to Senator Xenophon, too. I copied Cyrus and two other OSA folks on my e-mail. Well, hell, I'll copy all you, too. Here it is:

Subject: Please Investigate the Church of Scientology
Date: November 17, 2009 7:51:39 PM PST
To: [email protected]
Cc: (Cyrus Brooks) (OSA rep #1) (OSA rep #2)

Senator Xenophon,

My name is Mac Stevens. I'm a 38 year old American. My parents joined the Church of Scientology when I was 3 years old and I finally broke free a year ago.

My story is not extreme. I had a lot of good experiences. I was also very intimidated. I would say this is common for many Scientologists and ex-Scientologists.

However, once I started to actually exercise my freedom of communication and started doing my own investigation, I experienced the true face of Scientology PR. I spoke with three different OSA officials, including Cyrus Brooks. They provided me no real answers, downplayed the abuses. The attitude from them is that they don't have to answer my questions. Well, I demand that my questions be answered. From all the data I have now, I've been defrauded over a hundred thousand dollars. Specifically, I donated money to the International Association of Scientologists on the understanding that it was being used for good, for the honest defense of the Church of Scientology. But I found out it was used to defend against such cases as Lisa Mcpherson, leading to a gag settlement and an unbelievable amount of litigation -- a case for which CoS was in the wrong. And there's much more.

So, they don't feel like answering me. I hope they will answer to you.

Here is my report on my conversations with Cyrus Brooks: http://www.forum.exscn.net/showpost.php?p=206345&postcount=104 and http://www.forum.exscn.net/showpost.php?p=206744&postcount=114

Sincerely,
Mac Stevens
415 NE 6th Street
Newport, Oregon 97365-2805
(541) 574-4451
[email protected]

Happy Days

Bump

OK so we surprised the enemy and we have delivered our first war cry but it is only the beginning of this journey.

We need to push push push the enemy back and move forward ... so write to your Ministers and make it know about violations of human rights, bullying, coerced abortions, financial hardship, misrepresentation on services results et al.

Let's go people... :thumbsup

Tarvuist

Patron
Write!

Sent my own little missive to the PM, the M and cc'd Xenophon. Thanks Carmel.

Dear Sir,

I support an inquiry in the religious status of Scientology.

My wife took her life after receiving counseling from the Church of Scientology.

Having spent her inheritance ($90,000 US) for counseling and suffering with a serious medical condition she ended her life.

The Church of Scientology supported her in this decision.

I do not support Scientology's claim of religious status.

Respectfully,

A. Citizen

Political action on scientology..NOW..sounds about right.:yes:

jenni with an eye

OK so we surprised the enemy and we have delivered our first war cry but it is only the beginning of this journey.

We need to push push push the enemy back and move forward ... so write to your Ministers and make it know about violations of human rights, bullying, coerced abortions, financial hardship, misrepresentation on services results et al.

Let's go people... :thumbsup

Yes, and don't forget to mention the numerous times the CofS failed to deliver what it promised.
Also don't forget the solution the CofS gives when it fails to deliver what it promises and that is Buy More Intensives, Pay for the Retread and on it goes...it has always been about the money.
:whipped:

Miss Pert

Yes, and don't forget to mention the numerous times the CofS failed to deliver what it promised.
Also don't forget the solution the CofS gives when it fails to deliver what it promises and that is Buy More Intensives, Pay for the Retread and on it goes...it has always been about the money.
:whipped:

Yeah, you tell em Jen.
These upheavals of the last couple of days could lead to them being squashed like bugs. :bug:
One can only hope.
A bug smilie, too cool. :roflmao: