ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

France's supreme court reviewing Scientology's appeal

Discussion in 'France and Belgium' started by mnql1, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Rene Descartes

Rene Descartes Gold Meritorious Patron

So this RCC you mention did that? Okay.

Did they quote a particular policy letter or executive directive that they were following?

Rd00

2. Albion

Albion Patron with Honors

Just up at Infinite Complacency:

I've just posted the first in a series of four articles covering
    last month's arguments in the Cour de Cassation, ahead of
    next week's judgment (October 16).

I'll run this series out over the course of this week, and if I have
    time I'll try to write a full analysis of the appeal court judgment,
    -- somethingI never got around to at the time -- to post early
    next week before the final ruling in Cassation: that way, we'll know
    how things stand.

How We Got Here

France's top court will next week rule whether the appeal
    court's fraud convictions against Scientology should stand.
    Here is how we got here.

http://infinitecomplacency.blogspot.com/2013/10/how-we-got-here.html?utm_source=BP_recent

3. Albion

Here's what I'll be running out this week...
    “How we got here”: France's top court will next week rule whether the appeal court's fraud convictions against Scientology should stand. Here is how we got here. (moved)
    “'An Impossible Defence'”: It was not the role of the court of appeal to act as a chamber of inquisition, Scientology's lawyers told France's top court.
    “Defending the Rundown”: Vitamins used in Scientology's Purification Rundown are no more medicines than sweets or beauty products, a Scientology lawyer told France's top court.
    “'Une Entreprise Crapuleuse'”: The lawyer for counter-cult group UNADFI dismissed Scientology's religious freedom defence, while the state prosecutor condemned the movement as a “villainous enterprise”.

4. OhMG

OhMG Patron Meritorious

Of course I knew that. That's stuff I learned in grade school. You only learned about that in college?

5. La La Lou Lou

La La Lou Lou Crusader

Yes, yes, yes the Catholic church has done some very bad things and recently too. That doesn't let the cult off the hook. Just because Jack the Ripper killed more people than someone else doesn't make anyone innocent for only killing one or two. Start a separate 'how bad the church of Rome is' thread, we can examine all their crimes against Humanity, this thread is not about that and is too important to derail by strange beings that sit under bridges and their apologists.

6. Type4_PTS

Type4_PTS Diamond Invictus SP

[​IMG]

7. Udarnik

Udarnik Gold Meritorious Patron

One can also say that this is false equivalence. The RCC has a much longer history, back into barbaric times, and has a much larger reach numerically and geographically. There will be many bad apples in any organization of that age and scope.

For a "church" that was founded in the latter half of the 20th century and has had a historically miniscule number of adherents, the Co$ has been staggering in its ability to shatter previously held (in the US at least) fundamental assumptions about the basically beneficial role of religion in society.

8. Albion

9. dchoiceisalwaysrs

dchoiceisalwaysrs Gold Meritorious Patron

Thank you Jonny. Your writings are always so filled with key points and are very and enjoyably informative.

10. Rene Descartes

"Name me one church that does not ask its parishioners for money," said Louis Boré, the attorney representing Scientology before the Court of Cassation, responding to France Presse. The lawyer cited Article 9 of the European Convention on Human Rights, which guarantees freedom of religion.

Dude,

Name me one church that can show me a [mother-bleeping] clear.

I rest my case.

Rd00

11. Rene Descartes

Whoah!

Is this a contest?

Well I'm glad I derailed you off of the RCC trolling.

Rd00

12. Rene Descartes

This is hilarious. The Church on one hand says...

"the trial had been conducted as if Scientology was a business and not a religion"

and L Ron on the otherhand says...

"A. MAKE MONEY…
    J. MAKE MONEY.
    K. MAKE MORE MONEY.
    L. MAKE OTHER PEOPLE PRODUCE SO AS TO MAKE MONEY."

We can't make this stuff up.

Rd00

13. Albion

14. Rene Descartes

"Scientology's sale of its electropsychometers, an essential tool in Scientology auditing, its version of therapy, might seem exotic to the uninitiated, he said: but no more than the sale of the kippah, the skull cap used by religious Jews."

What's the going rate for a kippah these days?

Are the new Mark VII kippahs much more expensive?

Is there a course that teaches one how to use the kippah?

I think they could have used a better example. Or maybe they couldn't and that was the straw they had to grab

Rd00

15. Albion

16. Ogsonofgroo

Ogsonofgroo Crusader

For you JJ, and all ya've done and do! I know it ain't much man, from a humble unknown anon person-thingy, but hey, its the interwebs, best I can do atm! :p

[​IMG]
    (can I have the big piece?)

[​IMG]

And something for everyone via Red Crow~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVm5iT4M578

:cheers:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  17. Panda Termint

Panda Termint Cabal Of One

I'm with you Ogssie, I don't say much to Jonny but I read just about everything he writes.
    Jonny's reports are EXCELLENT ! :thumbsup:

18. Albion

Caek! Just what I needed on my lunch break. The words of encouragement
    are also much appreciated.

(Okay, you can have the big piece: but save some for Panda T...)

19. Type4_PTS

Type4_PTS Diamond Invictus SP

From the Bunker (Tony Ortega)

20. Albion