What's new

France's supreme court reviewing Scientology's appeal

Rene Descartes

Gold Meritorious Patron
puh-leeze...

you must be terribly innocent

this sort of thing has been common in the relgion industry since time immemorial

my best pal's paternal grandmother was a very remarkable and prosperous businesswoman. sh swore all the way to her deathbed the RCC had swindled her out of some real estate in montreal by forging her signature. she went to court over it when it happened and the judge ruled in favor of the RCC. yeah. the judge was a catholic and no doubt a personal friend of many top RCC administrators - they run the church, not the priests. all the way to the vatican. the holy see raised it's postal rates once and someone went to the pope to complain and his eminence said "what do you want me to do? i'm just the pope" - and they said, "look we need the money and she's got plenty..."

So this RCC you mention did that? Okay.

Did they quote a particular policy letter or executive directive that they were following?

Rd00

Albion

Patron with Honors
Just up at Infinite Complacency:

I've just posted the first in a series of four articles covering
last month's arguments in the Cour de Cassation, ahead of
next week's judgment (October 16).

I'll run this series out over the course of this week, and if I have
time I'll try to write a full analysis of the appeal court judgment,
-- somethingI never got around to at the time -- to post early
next week before the final ruling in Cassation: that way, we'll know
how things stand.

How We Got Here

France's top court will next week rule whether the appeal
court's fraud convictions against Scientology should stand.
Here is how we got here.

http://infinitecomplacency.blogspot.com/2013/10/how-we-got-here.html?utm_source=BP_recent

Albion

Patron with Honors
Here's what I'll be running out this week...
“How we got here”: France's top court will next week rule whether the appeal court's fraud convictions against Scientology should stand. Here is how we got here. (moved)
“'An Impossible Defence'”: It was not the role of the court of appeal to act as a chamber of inquisition, Scientology's lawyers told France's top court.
“Defending the Rundown”: Vitamins used in Scientology's Purification Rundown are no more medicines than sweets or beauty products, a Scientology lawyer told France's top court.
“'Une Entreprise Crapuleuse'”: The lawyer for counter-cult group UNADFI dismissed Scientology's religious freedom defence, while the state prosecutor condemned the movement as a “villainous enterprise”.

OhMG

Patron Meritorious
But that website missed something I learned from my Sociology professor in Sociology class.

One could even pay the church to ensure that a family tmember hat had already died and had questionable status in the afterlife, per the priests, and sitting in a purgatorial state, could be helped along out of purgatory and through the golden gates by help from family.

But then again you probably knew that and know yourself that the website you pointed out was missing this valuable piece of information.

Of course I knew that. That's stuff I learned in grade school. You only learned about that in college?

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
puh-leeze...

you must be terribly innocent

this sort of thing has been common in the relgion industry since time immemorial

my best pal's paternal grandmother was a very remarkable and prosperous businesswoman. sh swore all the way to her deathbed the RCC had swindled her out of some real estate in montreal by forging her signature. she went to court over it when it happened and the judge ruled in favor of the RCC. yeah. the judge was a catholic and no doubt a personal friend of many top RCC administrators - they run the church, not the priests. all the way to the vatican. the holy see raised it's postal rates once and someone went to the pope to complain and his eminence said "what do you want me to do? i'm just the pope" - and they said, "look we need the money and she's got plenty..."

Yes, yes, yes the Catholic church has done some very bad things and recently too. That doesn't let the cult off the hook. Just because Jack the Ripper killed more people than someone else doesn't make anyone innocent for only killing one or two. Start a separate 'how bad the church of Rome is' thread, we can examine all their crimes against Humanity, this thread is not about that and is too important to derail by strange beings that sit under bridges and their apologists.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Just up at Infinite Complacency:

I've just posted the first in a series of four articles covering
last month's arguments in the Cour de Cassation, ahead of
next week's judgment (October 16).

I'll run this series out over the course of this week, and if I have
time I'll try to write a full analysis of the appeal court judgment,
-- somethingI never got around to at the time -- to post early
next week before the final ruling in Cassation: that way, we'll know
how things stand.

How We Got Here

France's top court will next week rule whether the appeal
court's fraud convictions against Scientology should stand.
Here is how we got here.

http://infinitecomplacency.blogspot.com/2013/10/how-we-got-here.html?utm_source=BP_recent

Here's what I'll be running out this week...
“How we got here”: France's top court will next week rule whether the appeal court's fraud convictions against Scientology should stand. Here is how we got here. (moved)
“'An Impossible Defence'”: It was not the role of the court of appeal to act as a chamber of inquisition, Scientology's lawyers told France's top court.
“Defending the Rundown”: Vitamins used in Scientology's Purification Rundown are no more medicines than sweets or beauty products, a Scientology lawyer told France's top court.
“'Une Entreprise Crapuleuse'”: The lawyer for counter-cult group UNADFI dismissed Scientology's religious freedom defence, while the state prosecutor condemned the movement as a “villainous enterprise”.

images

Udarnik

Gold Meritorious Patron
Yes, yes, yes the Catholic church has done some very bad things and recently too. That doesn't let the cult off the hook. Just because Jack the Ripper killed more people than someone else doesn't make anyone innocent for only killing one or two. Start a separate 'how bad the church of Rome is' thread, we can examine all their crimes against Humanity, this thread is not about that and is too important to derail by strange beings that sit under bridges and their apologists.

One can also say that this is false equivalence. The RCC has a much longer history, back into barbaric times, and has a much larger reach numerically and geographically. There will be many bad apples in any organization of that age and scope.

For a "church" that was founded in the latter half of the 20th century and has had a historically miniscule number of adherents, the Co$ has been staggering in its ability to shatter previously held (in the US at least) fundamental assumptions about the basically beneficial role of religion in society.

Rene Descartes

Gold Meritorious Patron
"Name me one church that does not ask its parishioners for money," said Louis Boré, the attorney representing Scientology before the Court of Cassation, responding to France Presse. The lawyer cited Article 9 of the European Convention on Human Rights, which guarantees freedom of religion.

Dude,

Name me one church that can show me a [mother-bleeping] clear.

I rest my case.

Rd00

Rene Descartes

Gold Meritorious Patron
This is hilarious. The Church on one hand says...

"the trial had been conducted as if Scientology was a business and not a religion"

and L Ron on the otherhand says...

"A. MAKE MONEY…
J. MAKE MONEY.
K. MAKE MORE MONEY.
L. MAKE OTHER PEOPLE PRODUCE SO AS TO MAKE MONEY."

We can't make this stuff up.

Rd00

Rene Descartes

Gold Meritorious Patron
"Scientology's sale of its electropsychometers, an essential tool in Scientology auditing, its version of therapy, might seem exotic to the uninitiated, he said: but no more than the sale of the kippah, the skull cap used by religious Jews."

What's the going rate for a kippah these days?

Are the new Mark VII kippahs much more expensive?

Is there a course that teaches one how to use the kippah?

I think they could have used a better example. Or maybe they couldn't and that was the straw they had to grab

Rd00

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
I'm with you Ogssie, I don't say much to Jonny but I read just about everything he writes.
Jonny's reports are EXCELLENT ! :thumbsup:

Albion

Patron with Honors
For you JJ, and all ya've done and do! I know it ain't much man, from a humble unknown anon person-thingy, but hey, its the interwebs, best I can do atm! :p

Caek! Just what I needed on my lunch break. The words of encouragement
are also much appreciated.

(Okay, you can have the big piece: but save some for Panda T...)

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
From the Bunker (Tony Ortega)

PROGRAMMING NOTE: Dateline, Paris

A head’s up for our readers: Tomorrow morning’s post may show up a little late, as we await word from our man in Paris, Jonny Jacobsen, about France’s highest court and its decision about the Church of Scientology’s appeal. An appellate court already upheld Scientology’s fraud conviction in that country, and tomorrow morning we’ll learn how the Cour de Cassation, France’s highest court, has ruled on the appellate court’s decision. For a ton of background on the case, please see Jonny’s blog, Infinite Complacency, where he’s put together a four-part series explaining the history of this complex litigation. He tells us we may get word of this latest court decision at about 8 am Eastern, and he’ll provide us with a summary when it happens.

http://tonyortega.org/2013/10/15/10905/#more-10905