Free Will and the Infinite Regress of Naive Realism

Gib

Crusader
It’s an interesting topic, and what I consider to be the key issue can probably be easily understood by ex-Scientologists.

If life comes from matter, then I can accept the logical inference—which is that there is no free will. Just as the billiards on a table bounce around according to the laws of physics, then so do the ideas in our heads bounce around.

If, on the other hand, thought created matter within time in order to have games to play, and we are all still playing those games, then I think free will, within the boundaries of environmental pressures and prior decisions, still makes the most sense.

What could possibly have created the universe? What is life? The materialist determinists have not been able to answer these questions to my satisfaction, and I consider their firm rejection of free will to be an an error stemming from their religious certitude that life is a product of matter.
well, we certainly know Hubbard didn't solve it, otherwise he'd be back.

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
Where does this concept of

" we created life to play games"
And Marty's fav " Life is a game"

Comes from???

Seriously, can I see a proof of it...
It seems to me life is life....it happens period.
(And certainly not because of us ....:oops:)
And it will take many more centuries to even get small bits of "how and why" about it..and it won't certainly be due To Uncle Ronnie , the lazy weenie.

mockingbird

Silver Meritorious Patron
Here is a ten minute video on free will discussing hard determinism, compatiblism, soft determinism and libertarian free will in fine detail. Two people debate the positions and each defend an argument.

mockingbird

Silver Meritorious Patron
From Wikipedia

"Hard determinism (or metaphysical determinism) is a view on free will which holds that determinism is true, and that it is incompatible with free will, and, therefore, that free will does not exist. Although hard determinism generally refers to nomological determinism,[1] it can also be a position taken with respect to other forms of determinism that necessitate the future in its entirety.[2] Hard determinism is contrasted with soft determinism, which is a compatibilist form of determinism, holding that free will may exist despite determinism.[3] It is also contrasted with metaphysical libertarianism, the other major form of incompatibilism which holds that free will exists and determinism is false." Wikipedia entry Hard Determinism

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
Here is a ten minute video on free will discussing hard determinism, compatiblism, soft determinism and libertarian free will in fine detail. Two people debate the positions and each defend an argument.

Yes, also christians should read Romans chapter 9. (not that I am a christian)

The notion of, so-called, Free Will is not necessary for holding someone accountable for their actions.

Responsibilty (ethics) is a group dynamic that can change over time and the beginnings of it for an individual starts in early childhood mental development.
(Does a female Muslim really choose, Free Will, to cover her head OR was she indoctrinated to do so?)

And, some humor: :D

Last edited: