Freeloader Debt

Pixie

Crusader
I wish I knew the answer to this one, and as someone who used to hassle people over their "freeloader" debts, but I don't. All I know is that they're unfair, they prey on people's guilt, and fear of them (especially when one wants to continue getting services) keeps people in jobs they shouldn't be in if they no longer want to be there.

I finished my second contract, having broken my first one and been hassled about a freeloader debt, and staying that long was a mistake.

I still feel guilty about leaving, and I haven't been a Churchie in more years than I was one.

Welcome thetanic!! :welcome2: Great to have you here on the forum and look forward to reading more of your posts! :thumbsup:

thetanic

Gold Meritorious Patron
Welcome thetanic!! :welcome2: Great to have you here on the forum and look forward to reading more of your posts! :thumbsup:

Thank you! I'm glad to be here. I recognize a face or two from the old haunt, but most of you I don't know.

GreyLensman

Silver Meritorious Patron
People do a lot of things in CofS they wouldn't have done otherwise, due to the constant pressure and nagging and indoctrination and even threats. That stuff clouds a person's thinking, makes him or her anxious, keeps him or her off balance- and that's exactly what the cult wants.

A freeloader debt is staff against staff. You have the people who have contributed tons of hours trying to perform impossible tasks, and succeeding, having to consider two things when they think about leaving. First what the hell would my freeloader debt be, and second how would I survive off lines while I pay it? Those two alone are enough to slow off-staff routing.

The orgs may think of it as a windfall if it is paid, but the true purpose is to threaten those who are trying to contribute if they even think about leaving or breaking a contract.

When I was on the goddamn HAS would try to get you to sign a new (five year) contract every year, so that you always had a freeloader debt hanging over your head.

Looking back, who cares. At the time it seemed important...

Last edited:

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
When I was on the goddamn HAS would try to get you to sign a new (five year) contract every year, so that you always had a freeloader debt honging over your head.

I'd never heard of that being done before. Maybe it was just him. Maybe he figured it was a way to get some stat up!

Paul

GreyLensman

Silver Meritorious Patron
I'd never heard of that being done before. Maybe it was just him. Maybe he figured it was a way to get some stat up!

Paul

It probably was his own unique solution, and since this was one of the orgs that won the birthday game, stat pushes and unique solutions would almost have to be part of the scene.

Sky

Patron with Honors
So, Olska, how are you sure this isn't a legal debt? I haven't seen a staff contract for years so maybe it's just obvious - I don't know. This is an important datum to know for sure for many people. Of course, even if it was "legal" the worst they could do is put it on your credit report in the U.S. -they could never actually collect it. But who would want Church of Scientology stamped on their credit report?

You know, I never had thought of it before, but the whole idea of a freeloader's bill being a legal debt sounds pretty ridiculous. Great thread, Olska!

One of the biggest things I was scared of was having a freeloader debt if I didn't finish my contract. Once I realized that was about the only thing that was keeping me from leaving, I decided it was time to go.

When I left staff the church sent me my freeloader bill, and it was sent with a note saying that I should pay it or it would effect my credit rating. I did a bunch of googling and found out that the freeloader debt was considered in the Lawrence Wollersheim case.

He won and Scientology lost. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_A._Wollersheim

This was enough for me to write a letter back to the church mentioning that I didn't think it would be a good idea for them to try to ruin my credit, and that they might want to take a look at this particular lawsuit before they took any action. (I never openly threatened to sue, but that was the implication.)

I never heard anything from them again until I got my SP Declare.

Yay! :happydance:

Good twin

Floater
Alright, I want to nominate myself for the "biggest loser" award. I paid off F/L debts TWICE, and went back on staff a third (or fourth?) time. The second freeloader debt was paid before Christmas so the money could go toward staff bonuses. But even worse than that was the Scientologists I worked for and the Scientologists I married. Two of my former employers collected pseudo F/L debts when I left their employ, and both of my ex husbands figured out a way to bill me after the divorce. THIS IS NOT A JOKE. The really sick part is I paid them.:confused2:

Will someone please just slap me????:duh:

thetanic

Gold Meritorious Patron
Alright, I want to nominate myself for the "biggest loser" award. I paid off F/L debts TWICE, and went back on staff a third (or fourth?) time. The second freeloader debt was paid before Christmas so the money could go toward staff bonuses. But even worse than that was the Scientologists I worked for and the Scientologists I married. Two of my former employers collected pseudo F/L debts when I left their employ, and both of my ex husbands figured out a way to bill me after the divorce. THIS IS NOT A JOKE. The really sick part is I paid them.:confused2:

Will someone please just slap me????:duh:

That's why we're here, isn't it?

I didn't pay off my F/L debt the first time, I just re-upped. That was enough, apparently.

Sky

Patron with Honors
All of we exes got duped. It's sick how they use guilt and obligation and whatever other mind-f**k to get to you.

Good twin

Floater
It probably was his own unique solution, and since this was one of the orgs that won the birthday game, stat pushes and unique solutions would almost have to be part of the scene.

When you get a staff member to sign a new contract before the existing contract is up you count half the QSH points. It IS a birthday game stat, so for most Scn Execs it's worth pursuing. :yes:

thetanic

Gold Meritorious Patron
All of we exes got duped. It's sick how they use guilt and obligation and whatever other mind-f**k to get to you.

Of course. It's black Scn. Stick the thetan to needing the bridge. Stick the thetan to obligation. Stick the thetan to wanting to help. Stick the thetan to needing to help someone, since they're more able to help others than themselves.

Sky

Patron with Honors
It's pretty hard to help yourself when you're making $20 a week and have to live off credit cards and the charity of public Scientologists.

God, I'm so glad I'm out!

Amazing, the org freeloaded off you by using you as an unpaid employee (slave) then they want to charge you for it. What a perverted, sick system.

Sky

Patron with Honors
The really perverted, sick part is that they get you to feel like you should be indebted to them.

I was lucky that I was able to "wake up" before I paid them anything.

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
I was wondering if anyone ever got a refund or repayment of their bill.

I'm sure most of the courses I started I never finished, because there would be a new stat push, so training cancelled then after that a new post, have to do the hat for that then everyone has to do this course, get routed to start and never complete etc etc.

At some point the freeloader policy changed so that if you completed five or ten years that wasn't billed. What flap caused that to change?