What's new

Freewinds Asbestos discovered ..finally

dr3k

Patron with Honors
68tro8.jpg

Mojo

Silver Meritorious Patron
I shudder to think how many people have been exposed to that!

Anyone know the ramifications of this?

There's been a lot of talk about asbestos causing cancer lately. Well let me set you straight on this, turns out all the scientific data scientology research has uncovered is proving that what's needed to prevent asbestos generated cancer is more asbestes inhalation, not less. That's right. In fact, if you want to guarantee a fellow never gets cancer, put em in the middle of an absestos factory, close all the doors and windows and have em smoking 3 packs of non-filter cigs per day (preferably kools, according to the research) and you've fixed that fellow up good.

Hope this helps.

Much Love,

LRH

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
I shudder to think how many people have been exposed to that!

Anyone know the ramifications of this?

"The ship was sealed and isolated", that article says, while the (non-Scn) authorities investigate the extent of the danger. My guess is that unless they can be bribed by the CofS the ship will be declared non-habitable. And scrapped, it being not cost-effective to gut and fix. But even so, it will cost millions to scrap (I would guess) as most of the dismantling would have to be done by guys in HazMat suits, would it not?

Then the fun really starts. Criminal proceeding against the owners for hiding the contamination? At which point some SO members will get tossed to the wolves, most likely some scapegoats and not the real culprits.

And then, if not already, the civil suits will start from ex-scio public for reckless endangerment or whatever.

Meanwhile, OT VIII delivery will continue somewhere or other ashore. Maybe in DM's new Jo'burg castle? But probably not.

The CofS will have fun PR'ing this one. :ill: OSA Int PR thought they already had their hands full. Heh! Pass the popcorn.

Has it hit the newswires yet? :)

Paul

dr3k

Patron with Honors
It will probably cost more to rehabilitate the ship than it will to shit-can it so I think they're going to just shit-can the Freewinds and be done with it. Guess they should never have docked in THAT country huh?

NonScio

Patron Meritorious
"The ship was sealed and isolated", that article says, while the (non-Scn) authorities investigate the extent of the danger. My guess is that unless they can be bribed by the CofS the ship will be declared non-habitable. And scrapped, it being not cost-effective to gut and fix. But even so, it will cost millions to scrap (I would guess) as most of the dismantling would have to be done by guys in HazMat suits, would it not?

Then the fun really starts. Criminal proceeding against the owners for hiding the contamination? At which point some SO members will get tossed to the wolves, most likely some scapegoats and not the real culprits.

And then, if not already, the civil suits will start from ex-scio public for reckless endangerment or whatever.

Meanwhile, OT VIII delivery will continue somewhere or other ashore. Maybe in DM's new Jo'burg castle? But probably not.

The CofS will have fun PR'ing this one. :ill: OSA Int PR thought they already had their hands full. Heh! Pass the popcorn.

Has it hit the newswires yet? :)

Paul

Maybe they can sell it to the Navy for target practice?

Last edited:

Tanstaafl

Crusader
Since Lawrence Woodcraft made his statement about blue asbestos on the Freewinds 7 years ago, does this put CoS in a vulnerable position with regard to the law or do they get around all that by not being registered in the US?

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Since Lawrence Woodcraft made his statement about blue asbestos on the Freewinds 7 years ago, does this put CoS in a vulnerable position with regard to the law or do they get around all that by not being registered in the US?

Dunno. They might deliver outside the US, but they have certainly promoted and regged US citizens inside the US. But quite apart from the legal exposure the PR exposure is TREMENDOUS.

There is no way they can pretend they didn't know about it, not with Lawrence's affidavit and ability to testify (unless they suicide him, or something). Which means they deliberately hid the facts while regging hundreds of millions of dollars and delivering to tens of thousands of their most important customers for twenty years. This should terminally piss off an awful lot of people. It might be the straw that breaks the camel's toe. :)

Their only conceivable defence is the Chief Engineer's line, namely that Hubbard didn't say asbestos was dangerous so they didn't worry about it. That line won't wash in a criminal prosecution or civil suit, but it might work as a PR defence, although swearing blind that you're unbelievably stupid isn't the best of PR options.

2008 will go down in the history books as a bad year for the CofS.

Paul

Pixie

Crusader
Paul

Hopefully it'll be there last year and not just a bad one. For Sure! It's all comin' out now:thumbsup: And so fast!! There's somthing in the air.. :whistling: All the newbies here all of a sudden, all the bad PR, the real truth is a hairs whisker away.. bring it on:D

Div6

Crusader
Dunno. They might deliver outside the US, but they have certainly promoted and regged US citizens inside the US. But quite apart from the legal exposure the PR exposure is TREMENDOUS.

There is no way they can pretend they didn't know about it, not with Lawrence's affidavit and ability to testify (unless they suicide him, or something). Which means they deliberately hid the facts while regging hundreds of millions of dollars and delivering to tens of thousands of their most important customers for twenty years. This should terminally piss off an awful lot of people. It might be the straw that breaks the camel's toe. :)

Their only conceivable defence is the Chief Engineer's line, namely that Hubbard didn't say asbestos was dangerous so they didn't worry about it. That line won't wash in a criminal prosecution or civil suit, but it might work as a PR defence, although swearing blind that you're unbelievably stupid isn't the best of PR options.

Paul

Do you give discounts to Sea Org members for stress sessions? Oh, wait...er.....how do you discount 'free'?

sandygirl

Hmmmm...I don't think any of you are showing the proper "make it go right attidute"!:think: :think:

Maybe this is why our sooper-dooper OT VIII aren't COMPLTELY under control!!

They need BRAND NEW JUST RELEASED GOLDEN AGE OF DUST FREE OPERATING THETAN VIIII!!!!

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
The first item is now on Google News. It's timed at one hour ago, from Glosslip.

They give the newspaper report in text, so I've copied it here; easier to read than from the photo.

WILLEMSTAD: During refurbishing and reparatory work, which involved removing the ceiling and panelling on cruise ship Freewinds, blue asbestos was released and ended up in the ventilation system.

Freewinds’ captain did not report this when it’s own personnel were working on the ship on the Mathey warf in Otrobanda. The Curacao Drydock Company (CDM), where the ship was taken for reparatory work on the hull, heard from the surveyor that there may be asbestos on the ship. The captain acknowledged the incident and said that after the incident Freewinds had some investigation done. Keeping the incident quiet became more noticeable when it turned out that the 40-year-old ship contatined blue asbestos.

The question is whether or not the blue asbestos dust, which can cause cancer, can be removed from the ship. The CDM has stopped all work on the ship. The ship was sealed and isolated and experts will investigate and measure the presence of asbestos dust in the hull and surrounding areas. Commissioners Eugene Rhuggenaath (Economic Affairs) and Humphrey Davelaar (Public Health) said on Friday.

CDM interim director Frank Esser, deputy head of the Department of Labour Affairs Christiene van der Biezen were accompanied by two inspectors and head of the health Department Tico Ras. Samples taken from the panelling last week by inspectors that were sent to the Netherlands showed that they contained significant amounts of blue asbestos. After an extraordinary meeting, the Executive Council decided to inform the public in general about the incident to avoid remours and panic.

The CDM personnel were also informed via the media because it was impossible to gather all the workers Friday evening to personally give them the information.

Paul

grundy

Gold Meritorious Patron
Just one comment:

After an extraordinary meeting, the Executive Council decided to inform the public in general about the incident to avoid remours and panic

How is this supposed to stop panic??

lol

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Just one comment:

How is this supposed to stop panic??

lol

Well, with the ship now being sealed and all, the locals don't have to remain in their large plastic bags any more to avoid breathing the contaminated air from the docks.

Paul

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Perfect fodder for the May 10 Anonymous protest: they've been fair-gaming all their top public, the ship's crew, and Int Management visitors for 20 years by deliberately exposing them. Indiscriminate. Everyone's a Suppressive!

Paul

Wisened One

Crusader
GLAD the ship's closed and the asbestos problem exposed!

I keep chuckling over Jason's comment about the Freewinds....'That ship is a fleabag....it ain't no nice luxury liner or nothin'....:lol:

sandygirl

Quote from Wisend Ones:

I keep chuckling over Jason's comment about the Freewinds....'That ship is a fleabag....it ain't no nice luxury liner or nothin'....

How funny I was thinking the same thing!!

How sickening is this-this was KNOWN for years and they kept regging big $$$$$ from their own parishoners!!!

I really have had it with the cover ups from the "most ethical group on the planet"!!!