What's new

Freewinds Asbestosboat's future victims?

AnonKat

Crusader
Does anybody recognize any of the unfortunate people working on the cancerspreading vessel ?

HOLY SHIT, Freewinds cleanup May 2010

http://forums.whyweprotest.net/291-...eewinds-cleanup-may-2010-a-73908/#post1361548

Lots of photos here. As far as I can tell from the photos, paying scientology
customers are cleaning up the Freewinds, and climbing up and down the
outside of the ship on scaffolding.

Seriously, WTF?

Picasa Web Albums - 10338760589613565... - Freewinds

Here's a few of the photos

/ edit . These are low res photos. The Picasa web link has much higher resolution photos.

img5753b.jpg

img5764e.jpg

img5767a.jpg

img5768.jpg

img5769h.jpg

img57700.jpg

img5785k.jpg

img5793go.jpg

img57940.jpg

Last edited:

Bullwinkle

Patron with Honors
Is this seriously a picture of the asbestos cleanup? They're cleaning up the asbestos fiber tile with painting masks? No tyvek? No respirators? No abatement chemicals for the fiber-laden mastic?

My God - the things I read about ESMB never cease to shock me when I don't think I can be shocked any more. But these pictures - they are the thousands of words that sum up the criminal stupidity and negligence of the CoS.

Anybody who steps foot on that ship is doomed in every way.

Anonycat

Crusader
After viewing the photos, there was some speculation/curiosity about the tiles. Obviously, it is not safe to scrape lead paint without proper skills and equipment. If the tiles are indeed asbestos compounds, they must be completely removed (by HASMAT) if damaged. It would be interesting to find out who these people are. Funny timing, as I recently got a Flag email spam that mentioned the newly refurbished Freewinds. I had no idea this was the "refurbishing" until yesterday.

AngeloV

Gold Meritorious Patron
Ah, yes. Nothing like paying ten's of thousands of dollars for 'services' and then having to climb down the side of the ship to do maintenance or scrape floors. I feel kind of sorry for these brainwashed people.

Anonycat

Crusader
Dear Scientologist,

The Freewinds is currently mid an exciting historical and nautical restoration project in preparation for upcoming releases and we are giving Scientologists an opportunity to be a part of this!

For this project, we are looking for volunteers who have skills in construction, carpentry, welding, tiling and electrical. However any gung-ho Scientologist who is on-purpose, willing and able to do MEST work will do! All those participating need to be at least 18 years of age.

By being a part of this project, you will also be awarded room and board plus 2½ hours of study daily on the Basic Books and Lecture courses in the Freewinds public course-room! Also, you will be acknowledged and recognized for your contributions to the Freewinds and towards our goal of an OT civilization.

Please fill out the following questionnaire:

I am interested in working as a volunteer on-board the Freewinds and would like to get more information. Yes ___ No ___
I am ___ years old.
I would like to work on MEST work related projects. Yes ___ No ___
I would like to work on the clerical/admin projects. Yes ___ No ___
Also, I have the following skills and experience.
These are some people I would think would be interested (name, address, e-mail and phone numbers).
If you have any questions please get in comm with Jes Varrall at freewinds (at) freewinds.org or call me at 727 445 4309. Please send in your arrival date and any questions you may have on what is needed for you to arrive. We look forward to seeing you on board!

ARC, Jes Varrall

© 2009 CSFSSO. All Rights Reserved. FREEWINDS and OT are trademarks and service marks owned by Religious Technology Center and are used with its permission. SCIENTOLOGIST is a collective membership mark designating members of the affiliated churches and missions of Scientology. Freewinds ship is registered in Panama. Printed in the USA.

Email to freewinds (at) freewinds.org to be removed from our mailing list or to give us your change of address.

Flag Ship Service Organization, 118 N. Fort Harrison Ave, Clearwater FL 33755, USA.

Rene Descartes

Gold Meritorious Patron
A few things:

1) It is not obvious by those pictures that they poured water onto the tiles that they are scraping off the floor. The intense soaking of the floor is so that if any of the tiles break or crack, and I am sure they did, the water keeps the soaked tiny fibers from going airborne. And the floor needs to be continuously watered down.

2) For a fee they could have purchased CO2 equipment which they could have used to spray CO2 on the tiles. This causes the tiles to just pop off the floor without a need to scrape them.

3) The doors and windows are not covered with plastic to keep the fibers from going airborn and spreading into the community.

4) There could also be asbestos in the glue that is holding down the tiles. If that is the case here those people are doomed.

5) These pics which show the hard work of these volunteers needs to be saved for future evidence when one of them decides to leave and sue the Church. Hmm, maybe it is not proper to say "when".

Rd00

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Does anyone know if those floor tiles contained asbestos? They may have been completely asbestos-free (or they may not).

Paul

Bullwinkle

Patron with Honors
One doesn't know for sure from photographs, but given the tile color, which dates it a bit, and the appearance of the way in which it has come up off the floor with scraping, and the appearance of the edges, I am 99.9% certain those are asbestos tiles. Newer and non-asbestos tile comes up with an entirely different broken edge profile.

I have some small experience with asbestos tiling installed in the 1950s, and roofing materials, as well as with removal of same (certified in removal back in the late 90s) so, while I wouldn't stake my life on it being asbestos, I would argue strongly enough for it being so that I wouldn't give up without seeing a licensed abatement evaluation.

I remember reading that more than just the tiles contained asbestos on the ship, right?

I am not knowledgeable about asbestos, but when I saw asbestos floor tiles mentioned, I was surprised, because I thought it was mainly used in walls and ceilings for insulation, and around pipes, for insulation, and I think for fire-proofing.

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
Google asbestos floor tiles. Lots of sites.

"....Almost all floor tiles manufactured in past few decades until mid 80's contained asbestos.....

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/asbestos-floor-tiles.html

Thank you Degraded One :yes: Haven't had the time to look up sources this evening. The debate continues at WWP >
http://forums.whyweprotest.net/291-...winds-cleanup-may-2010-a-73908/3/#post1361831

Such a bugger that it is so likely that these well intentioned people are not being given all the facts about the endeavours they have entered.... hm, sounds famliar don't it?

:whistling:

The Clam

Patron with Honors
There is a law firm that advertises on TV they specialize in Mesothelioma cases. They could use some more victims. If the EPA saw that shit they would fine the COS into oblivion but they don't have those problems in S.America.

OTBT

Patron Meritorious
Since we have known for years that the Freewinds was stuffed with asbestos in the wall, ceilings, around pipes, etc, and that Freewinds was originally built to be a car ferry and not a passenger "cruise ship", and asbestos flooring and asbestos mastic (glue sludge for holding the floor tiles) were commonly used up through the 1980's, I would tend to be surprised if the floor tiles and mastic were not asbestos based.

^ This is an example of a run-on sentence. I heard scientology can help me with that.

Nicole

Silver Meritorious Patron
Imo this ship is full with Asbestos.
http://www.ingo-heinemann.de/Hotel.htm
Daily Herald 28.4.2008
"WILLEMSTAD: During refurbishing and reparatory work, which involved removing the ceiling and panelling on cruise ship Freewinds, blue asbestos was released and ended up in the ventilation system.
Freewinds' captain did not report this when it's own personnel were working on the ship on the Mathey warf in Otrobanda. The Curacao Drydock Company (CDM), where the ship was taken for reparatory work on the hull, heard from the surveyor that there may be asbestos on the ship. The captain acknowledged the incident and said that after the incident Freewinds had some investigation done. Keeping the incident quiet became more noticeable when it turned out that the 40-year-old ship contatined blue asbestos.
The question is whether or not the blue asbestos dust, which can cause cancer, can be removed from the ship. The CDM has stopped all work on the ship. The ship was sealed and isolated and experts will investigate and measure the presence of asbestos dust in the hull and surrounding areas. Commissioners Eugene Rhuggenaath (Economic Affairs) and Humphrey Davelaar (Public Health) said on Friday.
CDM interim director Frank Esser, deputy head of the Department of Labour Affairs Christiene van der Biezen were accompanied by two inspectors and head of the health Department Tico Ras. Samples taken from the panelling last week by inspectors that were sent to the Netherlands showed that they contained significant amounts of blue asbestos. After an extraordinary meeting, the Executive Council decided to inform the public in general about the incident to avoid remours and panic.
The CDM personnel were also informed via the media because it was impossible to gather all the workers Friday evening to personally give them the information.

Maybe we should inform Greenpeace, they would be very interested what Co$ does with the Freewinds Asbestos.http://www.greenpeace.org/international/en/news/features/Clemenceauasebestostoxicshipindia/

The poor people that worked and work there. DM was certainly far away to save his health.

Stat

Gold Meritorious Patron
DM is not cleaning "asbestos" anything, but he does visit the ship. So... just thinking out loud. I have a few friends who went to Freewinds. They seem to be fine, so far. Not exposed or it takes some years to kick in? Anyone?

Nicole

Silver Meritorious Patron
DM is not cleaning "asbestos" anything, but he does visit the ship. So... just thinking out loud. I have a few friends who went to Freewinds. They seem to be fine, so far. Not exposed or it takes some years to kick in? Anyone?

I found a very good site:yes:, but it is in German.:unsure:
http://www.krebsinformationsdienst.de/themen/risiken/asbest.php
I will try to answer your question with the help of this site.:)
Zwischen der eigentlichen Asbestbelastung und der Krebsentstehung können viele Jahre liegen.
Between cancer and the contact with asbestos can be years
...and not everybody gets cancer.

As long the Asbestos is not free (when you work with it etc.), if it is bounded, it might be harmless.:unsure:

My father in law worked with Asbestos between 1970 and 1980 two years ago he got laryngeal cancer. It seems that the Asbestos was the reason for the cancer. BUT he went to doctors and they saw it early enough.

Maybe you can give your friends infos about it.:)

Last edited:

Stat

Gold Meritorious Patron
I found a very good site:yes:, but it is in German.:unsure:
http://www.krebsinformationsdienst.de/themen/risiken/asbest.php
I will try to answer your question with the help of this site.:)

Between cancer and the contact with asbestos can be years.

As long the Asbestos is not free (when you work with it etc.), if it is bounded, it might be harmless.:unsure:

My father in law worked with Asbestos between 1970 and 1980 two years ago he got laryngeal cancer. It seems that the Asbestos was the reason for the cancer. BUT he went to doctors and they saw it early enough.

Maybe you can give your friends infos about it.:)

Thank you, German brother.

May be I will info them, I just need enough dox first re: the ship.

And how does DM is oblivious to all the above in his visiting Freewinds?

Safe enough at this point? Too psychotic to care? Not aware?

I hope you see where I am coming from.