What's new

freezone & money

Terl

Patron with Honors
Hi people, n00b here trying to figure out the FZ... I think some things in Scientology are worth exploring. I am not extremely experienced in it, but I've found SOME stuff to be helpful. Part of the appeal I've seen in the FZ is that it's all free, as it should be. Yet I keep reading, suddenly, of people paying for it and how the FZ still charges for the tech. So which is it?!

nexus100

Gold Meritorious Patron
Hi people, n00b here trying to figure out the FZ... I think some things in Scientology are worth exploring. I am not extremely experienced in it, but I've found SOME stuff to be helpful. Part of the appeal I've seen in the FZ is that it's all free, as it should be. Yet I keep reading, suddenly, of people paying for it and how the FZ still charges for the tech. So which is it?!

Individual sessions are affordable. It's the $20,000 seat license that gets you.

nexus100

Gold Meritorious Patron
what is that, like an IAS membership?? :ohmy:

My statement was in jest, as I trust is your comment. But after the COS, maybe not.

Seat licenses are sold in the National Football League as a prerequisite to purchasing season tickets for better located seats FYI. It is rumored the Dallas Cowboys will charge 50K for the best seats in their new stadium.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire

A FZ practitioner, like an auditor, is likely to charge for his services. If you had spend thousands of hours being trained in how to do something properly, wouldn't you? They may give away stuff free, just like other people, but if they are trying to make a living doing it, they are going to charge. But they usually charge far less for auditing than the CofS does.

Some stuff is free, like Paul's Robot Auditor, but that is not really FZ, and it doesn't take up much time to keep it online.

Paul

Terl

Patron with Honors
I understand, I figure a lot of independent auditors charge for their service, and understand that, but lets say I moved to a city where there was a FZ group where I could do courses and get auditing, etc. Would I be paying for courses and auditing just like in the COS, only (thankfully) cheaper?

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
They often waive fees for auditing AND courses, which CofS doesn't.

In fact, I've been offered free auditing in the FZ and will be getting it soon. Other times, I did pay for it, but then again, I was paying a practitioner for his or her time. An' it was way less than it would have been in CofS.

Royal Prince Xenu

Trust the Psi Corps.

It's just like any other technical field. If I come to your house to repair something on your computer, I'm going to charge you for my time, but on the other hand, I'm not about to charge $50.00 a phone call just to tell you press "Ctrl-F8 and then ESC".

If someone spends 40 hours "processing" you free of charge, how is that person expected to pay for rent and food in order to still be there next week?

As I understand it the "Free" in Freezone, means "free of RTC interference", "free of other UPLINES financial obligations" and "free to question what's going on".

Terl

Patron with Honors
OK, understood. thanks for the replies. I think it's fine having auditors charge individual prices for their time, and makes total sense. But it seems like if there were a FZ group offering courses, then it should be donation based & not some set required payment for the course. But I guess it depends on the group.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
I understand, I figure a lot of independent auditors charge for their service, and understand that, but lets say I moved to a city where there was a FZ group where I could do courses and get auditing, etc. Would I be paying for courses and auditing just like in the COS, only (thankfully) cheaper?

The auditing is likely to be much, much cheaper, like $50-$100 an hour (maybe even less), maybe up to $300 an hour for the top guys. Or maybe even more--it's their choice what they charge.

The training, well, it depends on what you get. Let's take ASHO's Academy Starter Package, consisting of the Student Hat Course, Hubbard Professional TR Course, Upper Indoc TR Course and Hubbard Professional Metering Course. Their package cost is $4,375 last time I looked. Allowing very roughly the number of hours for each of the courses above, respectively, as 80, 240, 40, 40, that comes out to about $10 per hour of courseroom time. If it takes twice as long, it's $5 per hour.

If you want those course in a FZ course room, similar set-up, with a full-time supervisor, you could expect the costs to be comparable. On the other hand, if it is simply slop from a standard tech viewpoint, where you pretty much study on your own except the "sup" pops in every now and then in between doing other stuff and helps you if you ask for it or have fallen asleep, you could get it cheaper.

Paul

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
OK, understood. thanks for the replies. I think it's fine having auditors charge individual prices for their time, and makes total sense. But it seems like if there were a FZ group offering courses, then it should be donation based & not some set required payment for the course. But I guess it depends on the group.

Well, re the courses, I don't see why it shouldn't be a set price. Colleges charge set prices as to arts and crafts and other types of courses. I mean, aren't those people (who course sup) also doing something that takes time?

I do know FZers who have course rooms. For the most part, they do charge set prices for courses but I've seen them waive fees for people who had no money but who really wanted to take the courses, and I've seen them barter.

Lovesnightsky

Silver Meritorious Patron
Well, re the courses, I don't see why it shouldn't be a set price. Colleges charge set prices as to arts and crafts and other types of courses. I mean, aren't those people (who course sup) also doing something that takes time?

I do know FZers who have course rooms. For the most part, they do charge set prices for courses but I've seen them waive fees for people who had no money but who really wanted to take the courses, and I've seen them barter.

The local FZers have set prices for courses and also per level in scientology which are extremely reasonable. The price is per level and not per hour of auditing! Fantastic I think. Student auditing is free except for the C/Sing. Not sure how much they charge for that.

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
Best of all, the FZ/Indie scene isn't 'tax exempt', so Caveat emptor (and less Carpe Emptor)

Zinj

But it seems like if there were a FZ group offering courses, then it should be donation based & not some set required payment for the course.

Since most FZ groups are small and self-financing there are limits to how generous their actions can practicably be.

The FZ isn't a large institutional structure such as the Roman Catholic Church with endowments or other sorts of external income or financing.

For the most part the FZ simply constitutes local gatherings of well-intentioned scientologists who are "free" from the Co$ and who wish to help others with the sort of spiritual practices they have themselves found to be useful.

Where they have facilities, costs associated with those facilities must be born. Where they have professional staff, that staff warrants appropriate compensation.

Most FZ'ers are remarkably generous with their time & effort as they see helping others through scientology as a truly ethical activity which benefits all.

Mark A. Baker

gomorrhan

Gold Meritorious Patron
My experience is that auditors in the FreeZone want to get paid, but they aren't usually as motivated by the dollar as the Church. The primary motivation I saw was benevolence when I zoned for a few years.

These days, I know a few people who charge for their time, but I also know some (like me) who offer sessions to people who need them for free. It's about time/money management. I have a job that pays my bills, and therefore, I do what I love to do on my time off: I play games, hang out with people I find interesting, watch movies, or give a session (or get one), as the situation seems to merit. I'm contemplating volunteering with the VA as a peer counselor when I get back to Rhode Island, to help people deal with the issues that surround alienation from being in the service, loss of family or friends due to combat or being taken away from them, to downright traumatic stress from an injury or perceived threat to survival. This time would be donated. However, if someone wanted me to work with them all day, on their time schedule, I'd probably charge them.

It's different strokes for different folks. I don't think people should audit professionally (or counsel, for that matter), because it changes the focus and intention of the practitioner from helping the person they are working with to getting that person to pay them. Maybe it shouldn't, but if you have a mortgage and a car payment, you have to do something to bring in money, and if you're auditing others all day, and they aren't paying you, you're about to be homeless and carless.

Terril park

Sponsor

Thought I could comment here. But you get the drift. From free to $200
per hour.

I can though connect you to people worldwide ( theoretically) who
deliver dianetic and scientology services.

Your wish is ( hopefully) my command. :)

Cat's Squirrel

Gold Meritorious Patron
I had a friend on the Isle of Wight (near England) who was retired and didn't charge me for his services (as an auditor) when I had a session from him. Mind you, he wasn't completely "standard" but he did a good enough job.

I agree with Pilot (again), the way to go is co-audit groups with students training and auditing each other and professional backup available when you get stuck. That way, you're learning about the Tech, practicing it and receiving audiiting all at the same time.

I agree with Pilot (again), the way to go is co-audit groups with students training and auditing each other and professional backup available when you get stuck. That way, you're learning about the Tech, practicing it and receiving audiiting all at the same time.

In other words: the mission network. :)

Mark A. Baker