What's new

Friday, 3/13/15: Theatrical Opening of Going Clear Scientology Documentary

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
Friday, 3/13/15: Theatrical Opening of Going Clear Scientology Documentary.

A reminder from Tony Ortega: http://tonyortega.org/2015/03/04/sc...city-caravan-in-midtown-manhattan/#more-20782

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

Anyway, to remind you what we found out yesterday, the Friday, March 13 opening of the film in New York will be at the Francesca Beale Theater at Lincoln Center. In Los Angeles, it will play at the Arclight in Hollywood, and in San Francisco at The Presidio.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

New York: Francesca Beale Theater at Lincoln Center

http://www.filmlinc.com/films/on-sale/going-clear

Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief
Alex Gibney, 2015
USA | Format: DCP | 119 minutes

One-week run opens March 13

Directed by Oscar winner Alex Gibney and based on the book by Pulitzer Prize winner Lawrence Wright, Going Clear profiles eight former members of the Church of Scientology—whose most prominent adherents include A-list Hollywood celebrities—shining a light on how the church cultivates true believers, detailing their experiences and what they are willing to do in the name of religion. One of the most talked about films at the 2015 Sundance Film Festival, this powerful documentary highlights the Church’s origins, from its roots in the mind of founder L. Ron Hubbard to its rise in popularity in Hollywood and beyond. Going Clear is a provocative tale of ego, exploitation, and lust for power. A HBO Documentary Films release.

Sundance Film Festival 2015

"One film has now dared to say what only a few years ago seemed impossible." —Leslie Felperin, The Hollywood Reporter

"Going Clear should certainly rattle the walls, if not shake them to their very foundations." —Scott Foundas, Variety

"Jaw-dropping." —Bilge Ebiri, New York Magazine
Series: New Releases
Venue: Elinor Bunin Munroe Film Center

ArcLight in Los Angeles does not have web pages up yet for the movie.

EDITED TO ADD:

The Presidio in San Francisco now has a web page up for Going Clear.

http://www.lntsf.com/presidio-theatre.html

7593283_orig.jpg

[video=youtube;zllYkNu1sl4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zllYkNu1sl4[/video]

Opens 3/13: Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief

(12:50) 3:30 6:10 8:45

Following Mea Maxima Culpa, his investigation into the Catholic Church, Academy Award-winner Alex Gibney turns his gaze to Scientology in Going Clear, based on the book of the same name by Pulitzer Prize-winning author Lawrence Wright.

Gibney profiles eight former members of the Church of Scientology, whose most prominent adherents include A-list Hollywood celebrities, shining a light on how the church cultivates true believers, including their experiences and what they are willing to do in the name of religion. The film covers a broad range of material from the church's origins—punctuated by an intimate portrait of founder L. Ron Hubbard—to present-day practices and alleged abuses as reported in the media. Runtime: 130mins

Leslie Felperin @ Hollywood Reporter says, “This impeccably assembled and argued film represents a brave, timely intervention into debates around the organization that have been simmering for some time.” Full Review

Last edited:

JBWriter

Happy Sapien
I understand that the official theatrical release of the documentary film, Going Clear, is on March 13, 2015 (in NYC, LA, and San Francisco)
but am curious to know whether accredited/professional film reviewers will screen* the film prior to it's release to the general public.

(*As is generally the case in non-documentary films.)

Does anyone know?

JB

CommunicatorIC

EDITED TO ADD:

The Presidio Theater in San Francisco now has a web page up for Going Clear.

http://www.lntsf.com/presidio-theatre.html

7593283_orig.jpg

[video=youtube;zllYkNu1sl4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zllYkNu1sl4[/video]

Opens 3/13: Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief

(12:50) 3:30 6:10 8:45

Following Mea Maxima Culpa, his investigation into the Catholic Church, Academy Award-winner Alex Gibney turns his gaze to Scientology in Going Clear, based on the book of the same name by Pulitzer Prize-winning author Lawrence Wright.

Gibney profiles eight former members of the Church of Scientology, whose most prominent adherents include A-list Hollywood celebrities, shining a light on how the church cultivates true believers, including their experiences and what they are willing to do in the name of religion. The film covers a broad range of material from the church's origins—punctuated by an intimate portrait of founder L. Ron Hubbard—to present-day practices and alleged abuses as reported in the media. Runtime: 130mins

Leslie Felperin @ Hollywood Reporter says, “This impeccably assembled and argued film represents a brave, timely intervention into debates around the organization that have been simmering for some time.” Full Review

Last edited:

ForLease

Maximus Squirrel
In general, the Arclight is a fantastic place to watch movies.

But the last time I was there a projector broke and they had to switch auditoriums for a screening of 50 Shades of Gray.

They thought they fixed it and moved my screening of Selma back to that aud.

The projector broke again about half an hour in.

A middle-aged white woman began screaming that this was racist and disrespectful to Dr. King and a travesty and that management should be ashamed.

If my Going Clear projector fails, I'm going to blame the psychs... :coolwink:

PS. Smurf, True/False is a highly respected doc film festival. One of the best in North America.

CommunicatorIC

The Arclight Theater in Hollywood (Los Angles), CA now has its Going Clear web page up.

https://www.arclightcinemas.com/movie/going-clear-scientology-and-the-prison-of-belief

GOING CLEAR: SCIENTOLOGY AND THE PRISON OF BELIEF (NR)

Cast: Marty Rathbun, Mike Rinder, Lawrence Wright

This powerful film, based on Pulitzer Prize winner Lawrence Wright’s book, is directed by Oscar® winner Alex Gibney (HBO’s “Taxi to the Dark Side”) and profiles eight former members of Scientology, exploring the psychological impact of blind faith and shining a light on how the controversial church attracts true believers. Running Time: 120 minutes
Hollywood

Today, Mar 05 There are no showings of this movie today.

Fri, Mar 13:
11:45 AM
2:30 PM
5:15 PM
8:00 PM
10:45 PM

Rating NR
Running Time 120 min
Genre Documentary
Director(s) Alex Gibney
Release Date 03/13/2015
More Info IMDB

View Trailer

Dean Blair

Silver Meritorious Patron
I wish it was going to be shown in Austin, TX but it doesn't look like that is on the list. They probably think that we're all a bunch of cowboys over here. I will just have to wait for the HBO release on my TV.

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP
I got the following email from Arclight Cinemas in Hollywood today:

Dear Garry:

Thank you for contacting ArcLight Cinemas.

Unfortunately this was posted on another website (not ArcLight’s). However we do not have any information regarding this event. If we do hear from HBO regarding them renting one of our theatres you will not be able to purchase tickets. This will be a private event that you must obtain tickets from HBO.

If I can be of further assistance, please don’t hesitate to ask. I will gladly help at that time.

Regards,
Jim F.
ArcLight Guest Services

CommunicatorIC

I got the following email from Arclight Cinemas in Hollywood today:

Dear Garry:

Thank you for contacting ArcLight Cinemas.

Unfortunately this was posted on another website (not ArcLight’s). However we do not have any information regarding this event. If we do hear from HBO regarding them renting one of our theatres you will not be able to purchase tickets. This will be a private event that you must obtain tickets from HBO.

If I can be of further assistance, please don’t hesitate to ask. I will gladly help at that time.

Regards,
Jim F.
ArcLight Guest Services
They might want to look at their own freaking webpage. This is what I pulled up literally seconds before this comment:

https://www.arclightcinemas.com/movie/going-clear-scientology-and-the-prison-of-belief

attachment.php

EDITED TO ADD:

Also from ArcLight in Hollywood:

https://www.arclightcinemas.com/en/m/print?root={7A8DB4AA-0E95-44C2-A5E6-C63D296E261E}&movie=HO00008585

attachment.php

Attachments

• ArcLight-GoingClear.jpg
    ArcLight-GoingClear.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 167
  • ArcLight-GoingClear-001.jpg
    ArcLight-GoingClear-001.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:

CommunicatorIC

An update from Tony Ortega.

http://tonyortega.org/2015/03/06/20807/

‘Going Clear’ tickets are on sale

Hey, don’t miss out on one of these screenings at Lincoln Center. If enough people go, we have a feeling the showings will be extended into a second week.

The Presidio Theater in San Francisco is now featuring ‘Going Clear’ on its website. And the Hollywood Arclight is now showing times for the movie.

Also, for our friends in France (hey, Jonny Jacobsen!) Gibney tells us that Canal Plus has obtained the rights to show ‘Going Clear’ in that country.

Churchill

Gold Meritorious Patron
Forgive this slight divergence, but I was just watching Tim Cook's big announcement of the new iWatch and other products

and within the first 6 minutes of his talk at www.apple.com in the context of discussing Apple TV, Cook gave a full-throated endorsement of HBO,

saying "We love HBO!" whereupon he introduced the CEO of HBO to the Apple audience.

The teaming up of these guys just could not have come at a better time.

Just had to share that ...

ForLease

Maximus Squirrel
They're doing a midnight screening Thursday night (Friday 12:00 am)!

Too bad I'm such an early riser I'd fall asleep :p

Last edited:

Reasonable

Silver Meritorious Patron
I wonder if the C of $ will have people taking pictures of people who go into the theater to see if they catch any of their minion doing SP activities?

CommunicatorIC

Attachments

• ArcLightMidnight.jpg
    ArcLightMidnight.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 90

Imtotalcause_

An update from Tony Ortega.

http://tonyortega.org/2015/03/06/20807/

‘Going Clear’ tickets are on sale

Hey, don’t miss out on one of these screenings at Lincoln Center. If enough people go, we have a feeling the showings will be extended into a second week.

The Presidio Theater in San Francisco is now featuring ‘Going Clear’ on its website. And the Hollywood Arclight is now showing times for the movie.

Also, for our friends in France (hey, Jonny Jacobsen!) Gibney tells us that Canal Plus has obtained the rights to show ‘Going Clear’ in that country.

I got my tickets for Friday at 3:10 PM at Lincoln Center! :thumbsup: