Friday, 3/13/15: Theatrical Opening of Going Clear Scientology Documentary

ILove2Lurk

Lisbeth Salander
. . .
Surveillance RV in place
at ArcLight . . . check.
:coolwink:

View attachment 9697

Many people don't know the origin of phrase breaking bad.

It's Southwest slang meaning to challenge conventions,
defy authority, or skirt the edges of the law.

:wink2:

MrNobody

Who needs merits?
<snip>
Also, for our friends in France (hey, Jonny Jacobsen!) Gibney tells us that Canal Plus has obtained the rights to show ‘Going Clear’ in that country.

Well, when it's already going to France, then there's a good chance that it'll go to many other non-English-speaking European nations as well. :happydance:

Maria Cuervo

Gold Meritorious Patron
What confuses me, as an artist, is why this movie is a movie. I didn't realize that documentaries ran in theaters? So why is this one going into theaters? I thought documentaries ran on TV mostly. So it's cool it's coming out but weird it's in theaters since people do not go to theaters to learn; rather they go to theaters to be entertained and have fun.

So it's a weird release strategy and I wish they'd just gone on TV with it....I'd never pay to go to a theater so see a documentary. LOL. But definitely would watch it on TV.

Lulu Belle

Moonbat
What confuses me, as an artist, is why this movie is a movie. I didn't realize that documentaries ran in theaters? So why is this one going into theaters? I thought documentaries ran on TV mostly. So it's cool it's coming out but weird it's in theaters since people do not go to theaters to learn; rather they go to theaters to be entertained and have fun.

So it's a weird release strategy and I wish they'd just gone on TV with it....I'd never pay to go to a theater so see a documentary. LOL. But definitely would watch it on TV.

Documentaries have run in theatres. Most of Michael Moore's documentaries, for instance, ran in theatres.

ForLease

Maximus Squirrel
It's going in theatres, then to HBO — which is TV. Prestigious docs often have limited theatrical runs.

Will highly likely be available on DVD/Streaming/Download at some point.

Lone Star

Crusader
Well, on the planet in which I live many, many documentaries have theater runs. Some of them long runs. Someone mentioned Moore's docs. Most of his had long runs.

Just this last year the Edward Snowden doc was released nationwide in theaters. The Fog of War documentary was in theaters. That famous one about the food industry had a long run, forgot the name right now.

The documentaries about Enron and Walmart were both in theaters. There's been at least one about the Iraq war in theaters. Gosh there's been so many I can't remember them all. Documentaries are in general very popular with the public. If the doc film sucks then it has a short run. Just like any movie.

MrNobody

Who needs merits?
Well, on the planet in which I live many, many documentaries have theater runs. Some of them long runs. Someone mentioned Moore's docs. Most of his had long runs.

Just this last year the Edward Snowden doc was released nationwide in theaters. The Fog of War documentary was in theaters. That famous one about the food industry had a long run, forgot the name right now.

The documentaries about Enron and Walmart were both in theaters. There's been at least one about the Iraq war in theaters. Gosh there's been so many I can't remember them all. Documentaries are in general very popular with the public. If the doc film sucks then it has a short run. Just like any movie.

Well, the 2 cinemas in my town have closed because of not enough business. One recently, the other one decades ago. The cinemas in the next few towns are struggling damn hard to make ends meet. None of 'em would even dare to show a documentation, let alone one about a niche topic.

Still, I'm quite certain that I live on the same planet as you - just in a different area. :)

Lone Star

Crusader
Well, the 2 cinemas in my town have closed because of not enough business. One recently, the other one decades ago. The cinemas in the next few towns are struggling damn hard to make ends meet. None of 'em would even dare to show a documentation, let alone one about a niche topic.

Still, I' quite certain that I live on the same planet as you - just in a different area. :)

Well, in a way I suppose I am on a "different planet" as far as movies are concerned. I live in Austin which has a very large movie going public. Movies are almost as popular as live music here. We have several theaters that show more eclectic type movies that the big chain theaters don't run. So we probably get documentaries that many other cities and towns never get. I think we get just about every movie that NYC and LA run.

Then we have the South by Southwest Film Festival which has been growing by leaps and bounds over the past few years. I think it's as big as the Sundance Festival now. In fact it starts this weekend. I think this is why Going Clear showed here a few days ago. The Paramount Theater is already booked up for the next several weeks. I'm betting that Gibney wanted to show it during the Festival, but he got as close as he could. Just guessing though.

chipgallo

Patron Meritorious
I wonder if the C of $ will have people taking pictures of people who go into the theater to see if they catch any of their minion doing SP activities?

Maybe they could get their minion to buy all the movie theater tickets to keep "wogs" from seeing the entheta. Then they could not view the movie but hang around outside bad mouthing it.

MrNobody

Who needs merits?
Well, in a way I suppose I am on a "different planet" as far as movies are concerned. I live in Austin which has a very large movie going public. Movies are almost as popular as live music here. We have several theaters that show more eclectic type movies that the big chain theaters don't run. So we probably get documentaries that many other cities and towns never get. I think we get just about every movie that NYC and LA run.

Then we have the South by Southwest Film Festival which has been growing by leaps and bounds over the past few years. I think it's as big as the Sundance Festival now. In fact it starts this weekend. I think this is why Going Clear showed here a few days ago. The Paramount Theater is already booked up for the next several weeks. I'm betting that Gibney wanted to show it during the Festival, but he got as close as he could. Just guessing though.

You're damn lucky. I'd have do drive 2 - 4 hours to get to a cinema that would be willing to show "going clear". Cinemas in my neck of the woods only serve the mainest of mainstream, anything else has to wait until TV shows it. :eyeroll:

Lone Star

Crusader
You're damn lucky. I'd have do drive 2 - 4 hours to get to a cinema that would be willing to show "going clear". Cinemas in my neck of the woods only serve the mainest of mainstream, anything else has to wait until TV shows it. :eyeroll:

Yes I know I take the wide availability of movies here for granted. Many US cities as large or larger don't get the same choices.

But, other than that....Austin really sucks folks. Do not move here!!! Tell all your friends. Don't believe the hype. NO! We're closing the borders down. There's just too damn many who've already migrated here recently. :melodramatic:

That's what happens when so much of the US is still struggling economically. The handful of boomtowns just get overwhelmed....until the day of our bust arrives. And it will. :yes: Eventually....

Lulu Belle

Moonbat
Yes I know I take the wide availability of movies here for granted. Many US cities as large or larger don't get the same choices.

But, other than that....Austin really sucks folks. Do not move here!!! Tell all your friends. Don't believe the hype. NO! We're closing the borders down. There's just too damn many who've already migrated here recently. :melodramatic:

That's what happens when so much of the US is still struggling economically. The handful of boomtowns just get overwhelmed....until the day of our bust arrives. And it will. :yes: Eventually....

Unfortunately for you, Austin has a rep of being a great place to live. (Unlike a lot of the rest of Texas.)

Maria Cuervo

Gold Meritorious Patron
Documentaries have run in theatres. Most of Michael Moore's documentaries, for instance, ran in theatres.

yeah, I never understood that either. I thought theaters were for film art and entertainment. I guess I am irritated about that sort of thing. As a film buff I want to see art in the theater, not doc. But I guess different strokes for different folks. I def. want to see Going Clear...just will wait for it to be on netflix or Amazon.

Lone Star

Crusader
yeah, I never understood that either. I thought theaters were for film art and entertainment. I guess I am irritated about that sort of thing. As a film buff I want to see art in the theater, not doc. But I guess different strokes for different folks. I def. want to see Going Clear...just will wait for it to be on netflix or Amazon.

But there is an art to documentaries. A great documentary is informative, enlightening, and entertaining. It's not the same as a drama or a comedy of course.

Documentaries are a category for the Oscars. To qualify they have to have at least a limited theater run. That's why Going Clear is having one now before it airs on HBO.

Terril park

Sponsor

Doc can be Art.

This includes Leni Reifenstals "Triumph of the will".

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls000650779/