What's new

FROM ORIGINS TO OFFLOAD

vumba

Danielle Chamberlin
Wow!

Thank you so much for recounting this so eloquently for us Vumba. This is why the cult must be stopped.

This must have been difficult for you, but also cathartic as well, I hope.

Obviously I had already heard a small part of this before, but to see it all laid out here was a very sobering experience. Even with what we know of the paranoia and stupidity extant in the cult at this time, it beggars belief that this should have been allowed to happen to you. Of course, we know that similar things happened to many other children, but to hear it first hand is truly shocking.

It is so important that you tell your story so that we and everyone else (including those that think that Hubbard was a saint and never did anything wrong) can know what really went on in ‘the good old days’.

I was glad to hear that you have been able to discuss this with your mother. Is there any chance that she might be persuaded to tell her story?

Also, do you have any more personal stories about Hubbard? For example, I have heard that he needed glasses but never allowed himself to be photographed wearing them. Did you see this?

Thank you once again, I look forward to hearing more of your story.

Axiom142

Hi Ax and thank you for your support and your message. Yes, as a family we are very, very strong and the support we have for each other is only strengthened for having gone through what we did. It also informs our relationships with fellow ex members too, as they have the same reality level about what went on. This is probably why the ESMB is so popular, and it helps us all come together in one Forum.

As for mum telling her story, I am afraid that the stroke she suffered whilst in the S.O. did affect her memory so she is unable to remember too much, but I will ask her if she wishes to say anything. When she had her stroke, my little 8 year old brother found her, and ran to try to find help. Mum was taken to hospital, but it was decided by someone in the GO that it was "Out PR" for a Scientologist to be in hospital. The next day Peter Morgan and Elise Marks took my sister and I to the hospital. We were told were just going to go and visit her, but it turned out that against medical advice, they signed her out. She was taken to Stonelands and put into a bed in one of the coldest, noisiest rooms in the building near the galley. She did not recognise us. She was unable to speak. She was unable to swallow or to see to her personal needs and couldn't walk. My sister (who is writing this with me) refused to return to work so she could look after mum. For this, she was put into Treason!!! She nursed her (remember she was 16 years old) and fed her by dribbiling soup she had made from scraps into mum's mouth, and then rubbing her throat until she swallowed. This went on for a week. Each day my sister would phone our GP in East Grinstead (NOT a Scientologist) and tell him exactly how bad mum's condition was. He said he couldn't do anything because the Scientologists had taken responsibility for her. After six days, my sister phoned the doctor again and said mum's condition had deteriorated, and if he didn't get her into hospital himself, then she would be calling an ambulance regardless of what the Scientologists wanted. From there, an ambulance picked her up and took her to hospital, where she was put on life support and it was discovered that she had suffered a further stroke. It was a horrid experience. Anna Rutherford looked after mum in the evenings so my sister coujld get some food, and because she was in Treason, they refused to feed her at Stonelands and she lived at Brook House. It was wicked neglect, and I will never, ever forgive them for it. Sorry.... just hit a button inadvertently whilst I was typing this... I had forgotten this one!

Thanks for being there.....:yes:

Last edited:

vumba

Danielle Chamberlin
My god, Vumba, what a thing for a young girl to experience. I am appalled and shocked. While I'm usually a peaceable person, I think this sort of personal violation of an underage girl should be brought to the attention of the authorities.
Hi Petey, thank you for your message. The rape happened in the UK 35 years ago, and the guy now resides in the States. I know it sounds odd, but I did release the feelings about this through counselling many years ago, and I am of the very strong opinion that what goes around comes around. He knows that what he did was wrong and I am sure that this will come back to bite him in the bum one day, if not already !!

The only issue I have though, and hope, is that he didn't do it again to anyone else. If I thought I had a strong chance of something being done, I might reconsider, but I have a very happy, strong family life now, with two adorable kids who don't need crap like this in their lives. I also have a partner who has never been involved in Scientology, and I don't think it would be fair on him either. We'll see I guess...... :yes:

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
If I thought I had a strong chance of something being done, I might reconsider, but I have a very happy, strong family life now, with two adorable kids who don't need crap like this in their lives. I also have a partner who has never been involved in Scientology, and I don't think it would be fair on him either. We'll see I guess...... :yes:

It all depends. I doubt if "the authorities" will do anything about it, especially since he is out of the country. However, with the Internet and Google being what they are, you could probably post enough details in a single post to nail him (unless he's called John Smith).

Whether or not it's a good idea is a different question. Unless he's a complete anti-social remorseless individual, he probably has felt bad about it for 35 years. And with the rise of the internet, he's probably been worried about you posting about it. That is quite a burden for someone to carry around every day, especially with the threat of discovery maybe meaning an end to his job or current lifestyle.

Paul

vumba

Danielle Chamberlin
It all depends. I doubt if "the authorities" will do anything about it, especially since he is out of the country. However, with the Internet and Google being what they are, you could probably post enough details in a single post to nail him (unless he's called John Smith).

Whether or not it's a good idea is a different question. Unless he's a complete anti-social remorseless individual, he probably has felt bad about it for 35 years. And with the rise of the internet, he's probably been worried about you posting about it. That is quite a burden for someone to carry around every day, especially with the threat of discovery maybe meaning an end to his job or current lifestyle.

Paul

Thanks Paul, and you are absolutely right. He knows what he did was wrong, and he has to live with the guilt. I never, ever did get an apology from him. I wonder if he did do it again? I guess I will never know. This is what I mean about people shooting themselves in the foot!!:timebomb:

anonomog

Gold Meritorious Patron
Thanks Paul, and you are absolutely right. He knows what he did was wrong, and he has to live with the guilt. I never, ever did get an apology from him. I wonder if he did do it again? I guess I will never know. This is what I mean about people shooting themselves in the foot!!:timebomb:

If you feel it would be of any benefit to you and he still lives in the States you could search here: http://www.theoffenderlist.com/

Axiom142

Gold Meritorious Patron

Paul

If it were just one case, then you are probably right Paul.

However, there have been cases fairly recently in the UK where charges have been brought against child-abusers after a comparable period. Here is one: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-15560554

I’m guessing that the advent of online forums has made it much easier to gather stories of such abuse and to track down the offenders.

If everyone who has suffered rape or sexual abuse while in the ‘care’ of the CoS were to come forward, the authorities may or may not take action. But it would certainly document the cover-ups that the cult has engineered and show this organisation to be criminal in its attitude to such crimes. And, it might also prompt those who were not directly involved in the initial crime, but who were aware of it and witnessed the subsequent obstruction of justice, to acquire a conscience and spill the beans.

It’s irrelevant whether or not the offender that Vumba mentioned ‘feels bad’ about what he did. Justice has to be seen to be done, if only to ensure that this does not happen again. I have now doubt at all that similar crimes have happened in the cult and have been covered up by the same organisation many times over the past decades. And I’m sure given the same situation tomorrow, they would do the same.

Axiom142

Good grief, vumba!! You have overcome an enormously painful experience! It really pisses me off when I hear about this horrid behavior. God, I just want to do really nasty things to perpetrators of rape. Argh! :angry: The guy probably knew he was going to get away with it. Bastard should be in jail.

And of course the scio's didn't 'stamp upon' the relationship...you're a thetan in a small body after all. It's only in the wog world that it's illegal for a 14 year old to date a 20 year old.

I was in the SO at Flag in 1980 for about 6 months before I realized that scio was a fairy tale and a con. I never took the OEC/FEBC, but if you saw an EPF'er scrubbing floors or shampooing carpets, it might have been me. My profile has a recent pic of me.

You are a hell of a survivor, ma'am.

yes, truly

but she's not the lone ranger. one of the surprises auditing held for me was discovering how very common childhood sexual abuse is. fortunately most of it does not constitute aggravated abuse and except in the more severe cases it is usually not terribly damaging

Opter

Silver Meritorious Patron
Hi Vumba, thank you very, very much for telling your story. There are so many people who believe the crap about "the good old days when Hubbard was in charge" that it's more important than ever that people who were THERE tell the truth about what really happened.

Harmless religion, my ass. I wonder what that heap o' crap Hubbard was doing while you were being violently attacked right there on his ship.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Vumba.You are a treasure and thank you for airing the truth.

Opter

greebly

Patron with Honors
Thx vumba good to see you posting about it.

As mentioned last year decide with your family first.

In respect if anything can be done about it?

QUITE ALOT. The Riverside operation through the Asst DA caught over 50 sexual predators in 3 days.

Wether the person has done it again?
nobody knows that is the problem.

3 organisations will help you and ofcourse the Government if you wish.

But as always it is down to the individuals wether they want authorities, politicians, NGOs to help. People must be willing to speak to them face to face and that facility has been there since 2010 in 4 countries alone.

I will be taking a step back from this endeavour(due to the frustration) over the coming weeks until there is enough willing paricipants as I have other projects to work on aswell as family and elderly family to look after as OSA knows. But if anyone needs information or help I am only a skype/PM/email/phonecall/pubchat/dinnerchat away.

vumba

Danielle Chamberlin
tell me if you can...

are you sure your father really was a spy for the psychs or could this have been another whacked out scientology story?
Apologies I don't think I ever did respond to this. When dad passed away a couple of years ago, we came across the orders to him to infiltrate.

Anonycat

Crusader
Apologies I don't think I ever did respond to this. When dad passed away a couple of years ago, we came across the orders to him to infiltrate.

You just bumped a thread that died 4 years ago, and responded to a poster who is banned. I just thought I'd point that out, in case you're waiting for them to respond.

Free Will

Patron with Honors
Vumba,
I am horrified to read your story.
I thought the family were some of the nicest people I worked with at SH.
Your mother was a lovely person. Your brother was very amusing (especially when he got down on the floor to break-dance to Shakin Stevens records :) )
I'm guessing you are the older sister, unfortunately after 40 years (at 66!) I am starting to forget names, :) but I know *** left at the sazme time as me and last time \I saw her was when he/she and *** visited me ***.
I had no idea such things were going on as you've told us about.
Oh I knew there was plenty wrong but if I'd known about all this I would have made a big stink at the time.
In the mid-70s I repeatedly wanted to leave, had enough of it, but my brother Ali would just talk me into hanging on, sure things were all going to get better soon.
I am glad you got out and are doing well.
I hope *** and *** and their kids are all doing well too.
Lots of love,
Colin

PS: When I was 12 I just got my first pair of long trousers.

Last edited by a moderator: