Fundraiser for 2013

ethercat

Cat in flight
A HUGE thank you to everyone who has donated. It never ceases to amaze me how quickly the amount is reached.

I'll leave the Pledgie up until the weekend and hopefully we'll get the last few dollars. Even if we don't I reckon I can cover it now. I'll pay for the hosting on Saturday.

Thanks again everyone. You guys are great!! :biggrin:

I'll just echo Emma in thanking everyone. It didn't even take until the weekend.

We are $21.00 over the amount needed, and no one had to be locked in a room, have their eternity threatened, or take out a second mortgage. At least I hope not! :ohmy:

Here's to ESMB and 2013! :cheers:

And thank you Emma, for running the fundraiser again this year!
 

Good twin

Floater
I'll just echo Emma in thanking everyone. It didn't even take until the weekend.

We are $21.00 over the amount needed, and no one had to be locked in a room, have their eternity threatened, or take out a second mortgage. At least I hope not! :ohmy:

Here's to ESMB and 2013! :cheers:

And thank you Emma, for running the fundraiser again this year!

I got written up once for saying that my friend paid $2500.00 to go to the bathroom at an IAS event. :duh:

But it was TRUE!!!!!!
:yes:
 

Magoo

Gold Meritorious Patron
A HUGE thank you to everyone who has donated. It never ceases to amaze me how quickly the amount is reached.

I'll leave the Pledgie up until the weekend and hopefully we'll get the last few dollars. Even if we don't I reckon I can cover it now. I'll pay for the hosting on Saturday.

Thanks again everyone. You guys are great!! :biggrin:

Yah!! :woohoo: Great job to ALL :)

Please do sent me your address. My roommate had the same
problem as I, and we'll each send $$$.

Thanks :rose:

Tory/Magoo
 

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
Update

I need to give you an update on what's occurred since the fundraiser finished.

Once we had enough money I went back to Siteground to ask for a Paypal invoice so I could pay the years worth of hosting. They provided me one but it was $250 higher that the original quote. I told them that I'd been quoted differently and that I expect it to be honoured. They replied that the quote was a mistake and that this was the lowest price they could offer.

I was not happy.

I talked it over with Mick & Ethercat and it was decided to move to another hosting company. I found one that sounded reliable and seemed to be highly recommended. Plus it was a lot cheaper meaning we'd have $$ left over & have to raise far less next year. So I went ahead. That's when the trouble really started.

First of all it was a pain to even get the server paid for. They wanted a contract signed & photo ID. When I got that back to them I waited for the Paypal invoice to come. And I waited. Finally I asked them to send it to me and they did - eventually.

After I made the payment I got an email saying that the server was set up & ready to go. I replied that I needed the website transferred and asked if they would send me a quote. They replied that they would take a look at the site but needed login details for the current Cpanel, FTP etc. I wrote back to them & told them the details and gave them the go ahead to look into the site but NOT to commence the data transfer until I told them to start as it is a busy forum & I need to turn it off so no posts get lost and to give the members some warning. I can see through "who's online" as to whether anyone was posting & turn it off at a good time.

The next thing I know (just as I was about to head to bed) I get an email saying that the website transfer has commenced. I'm like WTF???!!! So I got on chat and tried to speak to the tech guys who were doing it and got bounced around from one to the next. Finally I got to speak to the guy who had commenced it and told him to re read my email. He was like "oh sorry, but it's too late now". I was pretty pissed off but had no choice but to turn the forums off at that stage with no warning to anyone. That guy told me that the transfer would be done overnight and that I'd get an email when it was done. He said to wait until I got that email before I changed the nameservers.

The next morning I had an email in my inbox saying that everything was done & up & running. I was about to head out to work so I was short on time so I took their word for it and changed the nameservers and let the DNS propagation begin. That day I watched the DNS propagation and when Melbourne showed the correct IP address I tried to connect & got nothing. Occasionally I'd get the message I put up on ESMB but most of the time I got a DNS error. Sometimes I'd get a server error. It was pretty frustrating.

That night I tried to get some answers from them as to why the site wasn't showing up. Eventually I got it out of them that the data transfer wasn't complete because of the size of the files. They said it was a 66GB file and again I was like WTF??!! The databases and files only come to 7GB so what was all the rest? I found some 2BG backup files on there but nothing that would explain the huge file size. Also I found that they weren't using shell access because at that stage the CPanel on siteground didn't have shell access activated so they were trying to do it all through downloads??? I don't know.

Again I spoke with the tech guys and got their IP address through the WHM firewall at siteground (by logging a ticket) and told them to activate SSH in the Cpanel & do it that way. It was like talking to a brick wall. Another 1am bed time.

Next day still no ESMB. I tried again to find out he process of the data transfer and was fucked about and told 3 -4 days until completion. By this stage I was desperate and was getting some help from some tech guys I trust and they couldn't work out what had & hadn't been transferred and where it was at.

So Friday night I called them again and this time was told that the data transfer had broken & nobody noticed and so the whole thing had to be started over and that it would be 7 - 10 days. I lost my shit.

I told them to cancel the ticket and send me a refund request form. Then I paid for one month's hosting at Siteground and reset the nameservers back to Siteground. 4 - 6 hours later ESMB was back online. Then I started drinking.

So that's where we are. I'm hoping the refund will be through in a few days. If not I'll lodge a Paypal dispute and get it back that way. Meanwhile we are paid up until 27th of Dec with enough money in the kitty (just) to cover another month. The rest is still tied up with InMotion.

This has been a nightmare I didn't need right now. I need a few days to not think about it before I start thinking about it again.

This will be my last official duty at ESMB. After this I really am outta here.
 

TG1

Angelic Poster
Emma, so sorry it all went down like that.

It seems clear that the future of ESMB without an Emma running the tech side of things requires the contributions of one or more ESMB members who have significant tech skilz and the willingness to take up this burden.

My Pollyanna tendencies make me believe someone(s) will appear to play this role beautifully.

Thank you for EVERYTHING! Now, go unwind and get some rest.

TG1
 
Last edited:

The_Fixer

Class Clown
Re: Update

I need to give you an update on what's occurred since the fundraiser finished.

Once we had enough money I went back to Siteground to ask for a Paypal invoice so I could pay the years worth of hosting. They provided me one but it was $250 higher that the original quote. I told them that I'd been quoted differently and that I expect it to be honoured. They replied that the quote was a mistake and that this was the lowest price they could offer.

I was not happy.

I talked it over with Mick & Ethercat and it was decided to move to another hosting company. I found one that sounded reliable and seemed to be highly recommended. Plus it was a lot cheaper meaning we'd have $$ left over & have to raise far less next year. So I went ahead. That's when the trouble really started.

First of all it was a pain to even get the server paid for. They wanted a contract signed & photo ID. When I got that back to them I waited for the Paypal invoice to come. And I waited. Finally I asked them to send it to me and they did - eventually.

After I made the payment I got an email saying that the server was set up & ready to go. I replied that I needed the website transferred and asked if they would send me a quote. They replied that they would take a look at the site but needed login details for the current Cpanel, FTP etc. I wrote back to them & told them the details and gave them the go ahead to look into the site but NOT to commence the data transfer until I told them to start as it is a busy forum & I need to turn it off so no posts get lost and to give the members some warning. I can see through "who's online" as to whether anyone was posting & turn it off at a good time.

The next thing I know (just as I was about to head to bed) I get an email saying that the website transfer has commenced. I'm like WTF???!!! So I got on chat and tried to speak to the tech guys who were doing it and got bounced around from one to the next. Finally I got to speak to the guy who had commenced it and told him to re read my email. He was like "oh sorry, but it's too late now". I was pretty pissed off but had no choice but to turn the forums off at that stage with no warning to anyone. That guy told me that the transfer would be done overnight and that I'd get an email when it was done. He said to wait until I got that email before I changed the nameservers.

The next morning I had an email in my inbox saying that everything was done & up & running. I was about to head out to work so I was short on time so I took their word for it and changed the nameservers and let the DNS propagation begin. That day I watched the DNS propagation and when Melbourne showed the correct IP address I tried to connect & got nothing. Occasionally I'd get the message I put up on ESMB but most of the time I got a DNS error. Sometimes I'd get a server error. It was pretty frustrating.

That night I tried to get some answers from them as to why the site wasn't showing up. Eventually I got it out of them that the data transfer wasn't complete because of the size of the files. They said it was a 66GB file and again I was like WTF??!! The databases and files only come to 7GB so what was all the rest? I found some 2BG backup files on there but nothing that would explain the huge file size. Also I found that they weren't using shell access because at that stage the CPanel on siteground didn't have shell access activated so they were trying to do it all through downloads??? I don't know.

Again I spoke with the tech guys and got their IP address through the WHM firewall at siteground (by logging a ticket) and told them to activate SSH in the Cpanel & do it that way. It was like talking to a brick wall. Another 1am bed time.

Next day still no ESMB. I tried again to find out he process of the data transfer and was fucked about and told 3 -4 days until completion. By this stage I was desperate and was getting some help from some tech guys I trust and they couldn't work out what had & hadn't been transferred and where it was at.

So Friday night I called them again and this time was told that the data transfer had broken & nobody noticed and so the whole thing had to be started over and that it would be 7 - 10 days. I lost my shit.

I told them to cancel the ticket and send me a refund request form. Then I paid for one month's hosting at Siteground and reset the nameservers back to Siteground. 4 - 6 hours later ESMB was back online. Then I started drinking.

So that's where we are. I'm hoping the refund will be through in a few days. If not I'll lodge a Paypal dispute and get it back that way. Meanwhile we are paid up until 27th of Dec with enough money in the kitty (just) to cover another month. The rest is still tied up with InMotion.

This has been a nightmare I didn't need right now. I need a few days to not think about it before I start thinking about it again.

This will be my last official duty at ESMB. After this I really am outta here.

WTF was that in English? LOL

Thanks for the update Ems. It was worse than my last ciggie when I quit!!!
 

RogerB

Crusader
You're too good a gal to be having to suffer this kind of shit, Emms . . .

Have another drink and ciggie and relax yourself . . . :biggrin:

Transie, give her a hug!

R
 

Veda

Sponsor
Re: Update

I need to give you an update on what's occurred since the fundraiser finished.

Once we had enough money I went back to Siteground to ask for a Paypal invoice so I could pay the years worth of hosting. They provided me one but it was $250 higher that the original quote. I told them that I'd been quoted differently and that I expect it to be honoured. They replied that the quote was a mistake and that this was the lowest price they could offer.

I was not happy.

I talked it over with Mick & Ethercat and it was decided to move to another hosting company. I found one that sounded reliable and seemed to be highly recommended. Plus it was a lot cheaper meaning we'd have $$ left over & have to raise far less next year. So I went ahead. That's when the trouble really started.

First of all it was a pain to even get the server paid for. They wanted a contract signed & photo ID. When I got that back to them I waited for the Paypal invoice to come. And I waited. Finally I asked them to send it to me and they did - eventually.

After I made the payment I got an email saying that the server was set up & ready to go. I replied that I needed the website transferred and asked if they would send me a quote. They replied that they would take a look at the site but needed login details for the current Cpanel, FTP etc. I wrote back to them & told them the details and gave them the go ahead to look into the site but NOT to commence the data transfer until I told them to start as it is a busy forum & I need to turn it off so no posts get lost and to give the members some warning. I can see through "who's online" as to whether anyone was posting & turn it off at a good time.

The next thing I know (just as I was about to head to bed) I get an email saying that the website transfer has commenced. I'm like WTF???!!! So I got on chat and tried to speak to the tech guys who were doing it and got bounced around from one to the next. Finally I got to speak to the guy who had commenced it and told him to re read my email. He was like "oh sorry, but it's too late now". I was pretty pissed off but had no choice but to turn the forums off at that stage with no warning to anyone. That guy told me that the transfer would be done overnight and that I'd get an email when it was done. He said to wait until I got that email before I changed the nameservers.

The next morning I had an email in my inbox saying that everything was done & up & running. I was about to head out to work so I was short on time so I took their word for it and changed the nameservers and let the DNS propagation begin. That day I watched the DNS propagation and when Melbourne showed the correct IP address I tried to connect & got nothing. Occasionally I'd get the message I put up on ESMB but most of the time I got a DNS error. Sometimes I'd get a server error. It was pretty frustrating.

That night I tried to get some answers from them as to why the site wasn't showing up. Eventually I got it out of them that the data transfer wasn't complete because of the size of the files. They said it was a 66GB file and again I was like WTF??!! The databases and files only come to 7GB so what was all the rest? I found some 2BG backup files on there but nothing that would explain the huge file size. Also I found that they weren't using shell access because at that stage the CPanel on siteground didn't have shell access activated so they were trying to do it all through downloads??? I don't know.

Again I spoke with the tech guys and got their IP address through the WHM firewall at siteground (by logging a ticket) and told them to activate SSH in the Cpanel & do it that way. It was like talking to a brick wall. Another 1am bed time.

Next day still no ESMB. I tried again to find out he process of the data transfer and was fucked about and told 3 -4 days until completion. By this stage I was desperate and was getting some help from some tech guys I trust and they couldn't work out what had & hadn't been transferred and where it was at.

So Friday night I called them again and this time was told that the data transfer had broken & nobody noticed and so the whole thing had to be started over and that it would be 7 - 10 days. I lost my shit.

I told them to cancel the ticket and send me a refund request form. Then I paid for one month's hosting at Siteground and reset the nameservers back to Siteground. 4 - 6 hours later ESMB was back online. Then I started drinking.

So that's where we are. I'm hoping the refund will be through in a few days. If not I'll lodge a Paypal dispute and get it back that way. Meanwhile we are paid up until 27th of Dec with enough money in the kitty (just) to cover another month. The rest is still tied up with InMotion.

This has been a nightmare I didn't need right now. I need a few days to not think about it before I start thinking about it again.

This will be my last official duty at ESMB. After this I really am outta here.

Emma,

Your vision, compassion for others, and hard work are appreciated more than words can express.

And ESMB has helped more people, in more ways, than you'll ever know.

This latest ordeal sucks. So unfair. Ultimately, though, I think you'll come out the winner.

In the meantime, thank you again for the tremendous good you have done.
 
Special delivery...Flowers for Emma!!! :happydance: Thank you for all your good hard work on our behalf! :clap:

3297398-73874-beautiful-bouquet-of-flowers-isolated-on-white.jpg
 
Top