own fuckin' Church of Mafiaology.

AL CAPONE
Yeah, dat motherfucker Hubbard
was an evil genius! Whatdya think,
we could learn some new shit--
wanna take one of dem extension courses?​

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

If the Mafia tried to "duplicate" the COS' "successful actions" in attaining a religious, tax-exempt status, they could have likewise incorporated La Cosa Nostra with an acceptable shore story (using religious sounding words like Scientology!) that could have easily fooled the IRS, as:

La Cause-a Know-stra

Intentionally Blank

Scientology Widow

If the Mafia tried to "duplicate" the COS' "successful actions" in attaining a religious, tax-exempt status, they could have likewise incorporated La Cosa Nostra with an acceptable shore story (using religious sounding words like Scientology!) that could have easily fooled the IRS, as:

La Cause-a Know-stra

I was just this morning thinking about the cult v the mob. At least if you are a member of the family you know you belong to crime syndicate. I'd have to say the mafia has more honesty about its intent and actions than the cult.

I just this second realized I once dated a family member of organized crime. :omg: I might need a 12 step group. Clearly I have a problem. :duh:

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Sad news.

Garcias’ appeal rejected; now the couple faces the real possibility of Scientology arbitration

Rather than do that, the Garcias appealed, but in their appeal, they checked off a box which said that Whittemore’s order had been a final one. Scientology objected, saying that Whittemore had not ended the case, and that the Garcias were improperly asking for an interlocutory appeal of a lawsuit that hadn’t technically ended.

The Eleventh Circuit of the US Court of Appeals agreed, and rejected the Garcias’ appeal. Now, we hear, the Garcias are talking with their attorneys about whether they should actually go through with Scientology’s arbitration scheme — even though they have argued that it’s inherently unfair for former members who have been declared “suppressive persons.” We’ll let you know when we learn what they decide to do.
http://tonyortega.org/2015/08/02/ga...-real-possibility-of-scientology-arbitration/ - with documents

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Some comments on the above linked article, good discussion.

Richard • 14 hours ago

If really there is no alternative, then the Garcias should go for Scientology arbitration.

As far as I know, there is nothing written by Hubbard about having or not having a witness during the arbitration process. So, the Garcias could bring along their lawyer. But, at the same time, why not also bring along another witness, like a journalist or somebody. *cough cough*.

If the Scientology/Garcia arbitration process was to become very high profile, which I'm sure it would, then for no reason could Scientology show that the whole thing is a sham. So, it would have to be done without bias (that's an almost impossible thing for them to do!) but at the same time, if they did grant a refund to the Garcias, so as to show to the whole world that they are 'a good church', then this could potentially open the flood gates for everyone else to ask for their money back.

Sort of interesting scenario and, let's be honest, riveting stuff for all of us.
http://tonyortega.org/2015/08/02/ga...f-scientology-arbitration/#comment-2170268516

Steve Bazemore 0tessa • 10 hours ago

My thoughts exactly. The judge is keeping the case open pending arbitration with Scientology, so do the arbitration, and see what happens. Either they say no, and hopefully it's well documented (ie audio and if possible video recording) and you bring the results back to the judge, thus proving its a sham, or they give their money back (doubtful) and other exs come pouring in to get their money back, just make sure EVERYBODY has their lawyers and media with them, and whoever else might not only help their argument for refund, but that can be a potential witness to to the sham proceedings, and of course take their cases to court should they not receive their refunds in scineo court. To me, this seems like it would open up a whole can of worms that has not been opened yet, and another avenue to bring certain things to light about the church... Bring them even more to the mainstream. As others have stated, very interesting possibilities could be on the horizon with this. I hope they at least attempt the arbitration... At this point, with the lawsuit still open, what have they got to lose?
http://tonyortega.org/2015/08/02/ga...f-scientology-arbitration/#comment-2170542445

TX Lawyer • 9 hours ago

Having the appeal dismissed is not at all surprising. Judge Whittemore only stayed the lawsuit. He did not dismiss it, and you generally aren't allowed to appeal an order compelling arbitration unless the lawsuit is also dismissed.

This sets up an interesting conundrum for the church. If the "arbitration" is as much of a sham as we all expect it is supposed to be, then Judge Whittemore can still set aside whatever the outcome is and let the lawsuit proceed in court. The smart move for the church would actually be to give the Garcias some sort of refund, then move the court to confirm the award. That would create a precedent to show that the church's arbitration system is fair and capable of delivering favorable outcomes to claimants, which could then be used to compel future claimants to "arbitration," where they can then be screwed with something close to impunity.
http://tonyortega.org/2015/08/02/ga...f-scientology-arbitration/#comment-2170607307

Billy Blinder

Patron with Honors

from what I figured out, the Judge as well as the Appeals people basically said, this is religious matter, and you, Garcias, must go thru their proceedures, and report the outcome to the Judge, with evidence of fairness, the Judge left the case open ended you might say, as well did the Apeals Judges.

So, if my understanding is correct, the Garcia's should take the carrot provided by the Judge and Appeals Judges, and it is up to the lawyers to then present the case if the Garcia's did not get a refund.

I'd say to the Garcia's, go for it, document everything and go thru the so called scientology proceedure.

Trap set, just do it. You got nothing to lose at this point, and play the poker game, if you will.