What's new

Gary Lerner has left the Church of Scientology

Lurker5

Gold Meritorious Patron
Very thought provoking

In my experience it is far more likely that they would not have left the Church of Scientology at all if they didn't have Marty's shack to go to. For years a major deterrent for people who contemplated leaving the COS was that they would be forever deprived of the "tech" and lose their "spiritual eternity." You may laugh, but that is what they believed and what kept them in the COS. I personally knew a number of people who were unhappy with heavy regging, fending off Sea Org recruitment of their kids, etc. but wouldn't leave because they couldn't conceive practicing Scientology outside the Church.

In addition, prior to Marty's shack many people faced a life of true isolation and loneliness if the left the COS. All of their friends were Scientologists and had been for years. Their family members were Scientologists, who frequently couldn't be convinced to leave because: (a) they would be deprived of the tech and lose their spiritual eternities; and (b) they would deprived of their friends. Marty's shack gives them an community to go to so they won't be alone.

Marty's shack apparently gives them a community to go to that is more effective, welcoming or, to be frank, seductive. Perhaps in part because of attitudes like yours and, to be honest, mine in frequent past posts.

Bitter tasting medicine is not effective if you can't convince an adult to take it. Or if they are told, or the clear implication is, that they were morons.

/

Very thought provoking and intersting comments, Kha Khan - Thanks.

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
*However*; there's no evidence that 'marty got people out' or that people *left* because they knew marty would welcome them. In fact, some of the recent escapees were less than convinced of Marty, but, left anyway. Far more likely is that Marty is merely gathering the sheeples who had long since left on their own and offered them a 'new group' they could feel accepted in.

That's *very* different than 'getting people out'.

Zinj

Veda

Sponsor
Not quite seeing how the bracelet analogy ties into my post. I'm not of the "everything was great until dm came a long" camp.

My point is that anyone who thinks dm's hands are totally handcuffed to ksw and "the tech" and is only "following orders" is misinformed. Yeah sure he can only change things so much but to quote Marc Headley "dm uses tech to make himself right".

dm's only interest in scn is in the power and money it gives him. The ideal org program is yet another example of how he does whatever he wants in plain contradiction of hubbard's written policy to line his own pockets.

He is "applying scn" to the extent of trying to jam it into every possible place he can and make every dollar he can as flubbo would have but he is very much doing it his way and isn't concerned about what is on paper and it's just another cult myth that he is concerned about that.

'KSW' is for the "fixed glare" faithful, not for whomever runs the secretive cult of Scientology.

I'm not sure how much Miscavige can meddle with legal trusts, established by Hubbard. Hubbard was concerned with the preservation of his name above everything else - on steel plates, or through his main fan club called the "Church of Scientology," or through such vehicles as "L. Ron Hubbard presents writers of the future," etc.

If "what's on paper" means 'Green on White', then I don't think Miscavige cares any more than Hubbard cared. Policy was and is for the rank and file, and for "cover." It can, at times, coincide with how the organization is run, at other times, no. Same with the tech but, even then, many things, from the "rhythmic" definition for an FN (1978 HCOB), to 6 month sec checks (a more obscure Hubbard order) on solo NOTs, can be traced back to Hubbard.

Then there is the Church of Spiritual Technology, with its instructions, which include to preserve Hubbard's name in perpetuity.

I think Hubbard set up Scientology as a personality cult, one that would ensure that any self-interested party who ran it would maintain it as such. Seeing himself as a "power," even after death - with his "alter-ego," the personality cult surviving - it would be in the interest of anyone in control of Scientology to keep Hubbard as the revered leader.

Hubbard's secret instructions trump publicly visible "policy" - and only Miscavige (and maybe Pat Broeker, and a few others), and a few lawyers perhaps, have seen that.

The 1993 USA tax exemption changed the nature of Scientology fund raising, and Hubbard's emphasis on Scientology as a monument to himself made people an almost superfluous annoyance, needed mainly for show, and to dust off his monuments.

In any event, Hubbard's self-described "real goal" of smashing his name into history seems to have been attained.

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
Marty knows how to get-em-out!

GetOut Tech?

Yup, y'all, Marty's got it as sure as all get-out.

Here's how he keeps GetOutTechY'All ("GOTYA") Working.

Scientologists have been steadfastly orbiting planet Hubbard since 1950.

Many of those human satellites have burned out and are now in a ghost-orbit, performing no function except slavishly circling a lifeless planet for eternity.

Marty's Space Rescue Services are kind of like Triple-A Auto Club when your car breaks down--coming right out with a gallon of gas, tire change or jump-start. Marty knows how to rescue spaced out Scientologists who are "out there" feeling quite lonely, abandoned and beyond radio contact with their Commodore.

Marty sends a 100% Standard Space Tow Truck out and docks with the sad little satellite with the Scientologist inside.

shenzhou_docking.jpg

Once the connection is made he commands them to:

"GET OUT Y'ALL"​

Thus, he encourages them to walk thru the docking portal to his mothership which can take them into a new improved orbit around another planet. A planet bustling with super-theta activity where, word has it, the Commodore is now living.

Often the Scientologists are afraid to exit their pod and he has to repeat the command many times...and even show them pictures of smiling Scieno-Astronauts that he has successfully rescued.

Eventually some of the fearful Scientologists are coaxed out of their fetal position and they successfully walk the 3 feet into Marty's Space Shack, whereupon they have their photo taken and are instructed to write a success story for Marty's blog.

It all is marvelously theta!

Except, there is a much better command than "GET OUT Y'ALL".

"RETURN TO EARTH SUCKER!"

Last edited:

nozeno

Gold Meritorious Patron
I'd wander over there to Marty's Shack to try and create a little ruckus, but I have enough useless activities to keep me busy.

The funny thing is that they don't even know how insane they sound.

Help me Ron-duh, help, help me Ron-duh!

1261405317623.gif

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."
(Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Chapter 6)

HelluvaHoax!

sci-fi movies vs sci-fi culties

I'd wander over there to Marty's Shack to try and create a little ruckus, but I have enough useless activities to keep me busy.
The funny thing is that they don't even know how insane they sound.

Sprechen sie Scientologie?

INDY SCN WITH DEADICATED GLARE
We can clear this mudball! We can shatter the suppressive
forces of evil and postulate ARC theta flourishing with pro
survival games and greatest good along the dynamics that align
with command intention. Our OT's can win and live happily ever
throughout the universe after defeating the entheta dark side--
Darth Vader.....err.....I mean Darth Miscavich.

fortymarriedandbalding

Patron with Honors
Not quite seeing how the bracelet analogy ties into my post. I'm not of the "everything was great until dm came a long" camp.

My point is that anyone who thinks dm's hands are totally handcuffed to ksw and "the tech" and is only "following orders" is misinformed. Yeah sure he can only change things so much but to quote Marc Headley "dm uses tech to make himself right".

dm's only interest in scn is in the power and money it gives him. The ideal org program is yet another example of how he does whatever he wants in plain contradiction of hubbard's written policy to line his own pockets.

He is "applying scn" to the extent of trying to jam it into every possible place he can and make every dollar he can as flubbo would have but he is very much doing it his way and isn't concerned about what is on paper and it's just another cult myth that he is concerned about that.

That is scientology. Give people something that will help some people a little, create an environment that helps magnify the placebo effect and promise the universe. When scinetology does not deliver, make up some new excuse and sell a way to get around it.

KSW is not about keeping scientology working, it is about keeping scientologists on line and coughing up money.

Miscavige knows what Scientology is, and is attempting to apply it.

Since he's not Hubbard, people aren't willing to put up with as much; plus Hubbard, in his prime, was a lot slicker.

^^^
Exactly

Unfortunately for DM, Hubbard made himself source making it hard for DM to apply the spirit of KSW and change things or find another external factor to blame when people realise that scientology isn’t working.

Caliwog

Patron Meritorious
Yeah sure he can only change things so much but to quote Marc Headley "dm uses tech to make himself right".

Back in my WISE days I used to do this all the time - find policies to prove that what I was doing or what I wanted was right. The beauty of LRH is that he had severe diarrhea of the typewriter, and you can usually find policy to justify just about anything.

The ideal org program is yet another example of how he does whatever he wants in plain contradiction of hubbard's written policy

It's not, though. See, this is what I'm saying about LRH policy - you can find policy saying the Ideal Org program, as currently implemented, is totally standard and correct, AND you can find policy saying it's NOT correct! I've actually been thinking about writing an article along these lines - one that uses LRH policy, correctly quoted, to show how the Ideal Org policy is both right AND wrong. Both points can be proven.

As I mentioned in y'day's blog entry (shameless plug: The BS of ARC, http://caliwog.wordpress.com/2010/07/06/the-bs-of-arc/), one sign of really good bullshit is that it can be successfully argued from both sides.

Again, please understand that I'm not trying to make you wrong here, and I'm certainly not defending DM. I'm just trying to educate.

If our goal is to expose the scam of Scientology, we have to know how Scientologists think. If we spout off with "DM is totally altering policy," and a Scientologist reads that and is able to find the policy that DM is following, we've lost credibility. The sad fact is that many of DM's crimes come from him FOLLOWING LRH policy! That is the *true* crime that must be exposed, because the fact is that if policy is followed, then Scientology will commit crimes no matter who's at the helm, be it the tubby redhead, the little angry guy, or someone else.

ML,
Caliwog
http://caliwog.wordpress.com

Thrak

Gold Meritorious Patron
Back in my WISE days I used to do this all the time - find policies to prove that what I was doing or what I wanted was right. The beauty of LRH is that he had severe diarrhea of the typewriter, and you can usually find policy to justify just about anything.

It's not, though. See, this is what I'm saying about LRH policy - you can find policy saying the Ideal Org program, as currently implemented, is totally standard and correct, AND you can find policy saying it's NOT correct! I've actually been thinking about writing an article along these lines - one that uses LRH policy, correctly quoted, to show how the Ideal Org policy is both right AND wrong. Both points can be proven.

As I mentioned in y'day's blog entry (shameless plug: The BS of ARC, http://caliwog.wordpress.com/2010/07/06/the-bs-of-arc/), one sign of really good bullshit is that it can be successfully argued from both sides.

Again, please understand that I'm not trying to make you wrong here, and I'm certainly not defending DM. I'm just trying to educate.

If our goal is to expose the scam of Scientology, we have to know how Scientologists think. If we spout off with "DM is totally altering policy," and a Scientologist reads that and is able to find the policy that DM is following, we've lost credibility. The sad fact is that many of DM's crimes come from him FOLLOWING LRH policy! That is the *true* crime that must be exposed, because the fact is that if policy is followed, then Scientology will commit crimes no matter who's at the helm, be it the tubby redhead, the little angry guy, or someone else.

ML,
Caliwog
http://caliwog.wordpress.com

I guess this can turn into an endless debate which I'm not really interested in. To sum it up the reason why Marty doesn't worry me is because this same shit has happened so many times before.

Captain Bill starts his own thing. Still around? I have no idea. Mayo does his shit for a while, last I heard he has nothing to do with scn whatsoever. I would have never heard of the FZ if I didn't hang around here. Marty? Yawn.

I think the good news for all of us is that there is ONE lunatic capable of pulling this shit off and he died in 1986. Anybody else on the scene is a wannabe doomed to failure.

If I'm wrong I'm wrong but until I hear some NIGHTMARES from La Shack then it's just another typical, Texas "house of worship" in my mind and I don't see the FBI surrounding the place with tanks and helicopters any time soon.

HelluvaHoax!

Originally Posted by Caliwog

I love that idea for a thread!

It has rich possibilities for "Ideal Orgs" AND virtually every other thing that happens or doesn't happen in the theme park called ScientologyWorld.

From another post, here is something relevant...

NEWTON'S LAW OF MOTION
"For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction."

HUBBARD'S LAW OF COMMOTION
"For every policy there is equal and opposite policy."
__________________​

Veda

Sponsor
I love that idea for a thread!

It has rich possibilities for "Ideal Orgs" AND virtually every other thing that happens or doesn't happen in the theme park called ScientologyWorld.

From another post, here is something relevant...

NEWTON'S LAW OF MOTION
"For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction."

HUBBARD'S LAW OF COMMOTION
"For every policy there is equal and opposite policy."
__________________​

There is also the overt(publicized)/covert(behind-the-scenes) pattern of much of Scientology policy.

There's policy that was never anything else other than a handling of a public relations flap, such as Hubbard's 'Reform Code' of November 1968 that "cancelled" Fair Game, Disconnection, and Security Checking - but, of course, didn't cancel (discontinue) these things at all, but just discouraged the use of their names, and practiced them - at least until the PR flap blew over - in a more discreet way.

Fair Game (the term) was discontinued (at least publicly), but Hubbard's application of his SP Doctrine: "SPs (or equivalent before the invention of the term 'SP') have no rights of any kind" (1951) , and may be "tricked, sued, lied to, or destroyed" (1968), and are "without rights for self, possessions or position, and no Scientologist may be brought before a Committee of Evidence or punished for any action against a Suppressive Person or group... [Suppressive acts include] 1st degree murder, arson, disintegration of persons or belongings not [!!!] guilty of suppressive acts... [SPs] place themselves beyond any consideration for their feelings or well being" (original March 1965 'Fair Game Law), etc.

One example (of many) of "Hubbard's Law of Commotion" is 'Attacks on Scientology', which are three Policies (all from February 1966) - all with the title, 'Attacks on Scientology':

One announced boldly, "The only response to attacks is advocate total freedom!"

The other states less loudly (so the "wogs" and "raw meat" can't hear), "Attack noisily!", and the other goes on about attacking with "lurid, blood, sex, crimes," etc. http://forum.exscn.net/showpost.php?p=424773&postcount=11

Scientology has so much "policy" (and "tech" too: "There are no demons. No ghosts..." 'Dianetics' 1950; "You're living in a universe which is crawling with this type of stuff." 'NOTs', 1978) that its sheer quantity hides much of it in a sea or words, unless one knows where to look (which keeps the "wogs" and "raw meat" baffled, or was supposed to), but it also has a layered system of overt (publicized)/covert (hidden), with covert being senior to overt. http://www.forum.exscn.net/showpost.php?p=414206&postcount=24