What's new

Gentle reminder about sock puppets

nozeno

Gold Meritorious Patron
He doesn't protest the unprotested protest???

sockpuppet.176.gif

Royal Prince Xenu

Trust the Psi Corps.
What's the rationale behind the "no sock puppet" rule?

I have one account on this Board: RPX.

Every time I make a post, the IP address of my computer is recorded (and would rarely vary).

Now let's say I get a very attacking post from Lady Cynthia Fitzmilton.

I now go away and create a new account as Captain Jack Harkness.

Quite suddenly, out of the blue, Captain Jack comes to my rescue against Cynthia.

Captain Jack is a sock-puppet. It's a fake ID standing in for me usually to try and support an unsustainable argument, so I create sock-puppet accounts to generate the illusion that there are people out there who support me.

OSA is very good at this. They will send "sock-puppet" letters to newspapers all over the place to make it look like there's a "grass-roots" movement behind a certain issue when, in fact, the average person couldn't give a damn. This "fake grass roots activism" is known as Astro-turfing (Wikipedia is your friend.).

Now, if Captain Jack were a real person who lived in my house and joined the forum then it would be wise of us to notify moderators of this because both accounts would have the same IP number attached.

Lastly, Agent Orange is banned from the board. So he creates a new account Billy Botty, and one of his first questions will be, "Why was Agent Orange banned?" trying to get some sympathy.

It basically boils down to the fact that I am no longer allowed to post under the name "Alonzo".

Good twin

Floater
I'm just getting more and more confused. So if I stand up for an OSA troll I just might be a sock puppet? Damn this is trickier than valances and body thetans.

Is there a "clear cog" on the bridge to total status? Is it something like "I am the only version of myself that posts regularly on the ESMB forum"? Or possibly it might be "I am only the identity I post as on ESMB". Or even "I am no longer the identity or identities I post as on ESMB".

Like I said. I'm just confused. That's been happening a lot lately and I'm not doing the feaking formula. So I guess it's just part of my ESMB evolution. :confused2:

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
What's to keep a sock from going to the library or another computer?

Nothing

Also nothing preventing a person from using proxies etc.

But, eventually sockpuppets sound so much like sockpuppets that it's obvious that they're sockpuppets :)

Despite the rules against sockpuppets, there are sockpuppets on ESMB. The rule just says; if you use them, you'll lose all your accounts. If caught.

In the end, ESMB participants are different people and it's pretty easy to spot the kind of thin 'single-purpose' poster. A big anonymous system has a harder time of it.

Zinj

Mest Lover

Not Sea Org Qualified
True HardCore ESMB users need no sock puppetry, they speak from the heart and knowledge gained from in that a sock puppet would only dilute.

SCN needs sock puppets due to their multi-tiered lies and need to float the balloons of human destruction based on the scam of SCN. SCN is a SockPuppet.

Good twin

Floater
True HardCore ESMB users need no sock puppetry, they speak from the heart and knowledge gained from in that a sock puppet would only dilute.

SCN needs sock puppets due to their multi-tiered lies and need to float the balloons of human destruction based on the scam of SCN. SCN is a SockPuppet.

:clap: True that!

Free Being Me

Crusader

:clap: :thumbsup: :hattip:

I have one account on this Board: RPX.

Every time I make a post, the IP address of my computer is recorded (and would rarely vary).

Now let's say I get a very attacking post from Lady Cynthia Fitzmilton.

I now go away and create a new account as Captain Jack Harkness.

Quite suddenly, out of the blue, Captain Jack comes to my rescue against Cynthia.

Captain Jack is a sock-puppet. It's a fake ID standing in for me usually to try and support an unsustainable argument, so I create sock-puppet accounts to generate the illusion that there are people out there who support me.

OSA is very good at this. They will send "sock-puppet" letters to newspapers all over the place to make it look like there's a "grass-roots" movement behind a certain issue when, in fact, the average person couldn't give a damn. This "fake grass roots activism" is known as Astro-turfing (Wikipedia is your friend.).

Now, if Captain Jack were a real person who lived in my house and joined the forum then it would be wise of us to notify moderators of this because both accounts would have the same IP number attached.

Lastly, Agent Orange is banned from the board. So he creates a new account Billy Botty, and one of his first questions will be, "Why was Agent Orange banned?" trying to get some sympathy.

It basically boils down to the fact that I am no longer allowed to post under the name "Alonzo".

Thank you Princey, now I finally know what Astroturf means, in this context! (I should spend more time on wikipedia!:yes:) :thumbsup:

_brian

WogRevert
Maybe just small, ya, no.. I have not much to compare them to for sock puppets.
I was going to say something like 'more than a mouthful is a waste', but you don't know where socks have been :whistling:
It's not nice to make comparisons anyway.

6a00c22529b8c0604a0100a8013950000e-500pi-p.jpg
Yeah, hehe, that is some large sockmonkee pkg, the little gal below is saying (in my best Mae West virtual voice) "well hello there big fella, why don't you come up and see me sometime?". :eyeroll:

sockmonkeytits.jpg

The_Fixer

Class Clown
Hahaha, this thread is great fun!

I could just imagine trying to be like this on staff or SO....

Great just to be free, ain't it?