What's new

Getting Yourself Removed from the Scientology Website

Hoodwinked

Patron with Honors
Does anyone know how I can remove my page from the Scientology.org, "Meet Scientologists Online" section? In the 1980's I was coerced to put my information on that site where you list your successes in Scientology, favorite links, etc. I looked at it a couple of months ago to see if I could remove myself, but with no success.

This website has come back to haunt me in a major adverse way and I need to remove myself from it.

skollie

Silver Meritorious Patron
Unfortunately if you don't have the login details you can't do it yourself. I'd suggest you have lawyer send them a letter to remove it. Do keep in mind that a cached version will still be around for years to come.

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
In general *they* remove you, once you've gone public. The most consistent way to get your name removed is to speak out publicly against Scientology. So, try starting a blog examining your 'Scientologist Online' page. Tell how and why you did it.

I suspect it will be deleted in a week's time.

Zinj

Miss Penguin

Patron with Honors
In general *they* remove you, once you've gone public. The most consistent way to get your name removed is to speak out publicly against Scientology. So, try starting a blog examining your 'Scientologist Online' page. Tell how and why you did it.

Zinj

Actually they have not removed everyone who has gone public. Stupidly enough. A friend of mine went public in the SP Times and her Scn site is still up. She even emailed them multiple times about it and they still haven't take it down. Probably no staff on post to handle that anymore.:duh:

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
Actually they have not removed everyone who has gone public. Stupidly enough. A friend of mine went public in the SP Times and her Scn site is still up. She even emailed them multiple times about it and they still haven't take it down. Probably no staff on post to handle that anymore.:duh:

That's why I suggest starting a blog that specifically *specifies* why one did that page :)

They're very quick to sweep mistakes under the carpet....

Zinj

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Mine is still up too. I was going to post the link, but why give them hits?

TAKE IT DOWN!

I wrote the most general blah bullshit I could get away with at the time. :grouch:

Feral

Rogue male

Zinj

Maybe I didn't speak loud enough?

I can fix that if required.:coolwink:

My clam page.

Stat

Gold Meritorious Patron
How else they they gonna try to support 8 million members statement?

I guess by not removing anyone ever involved to any extent.

Freeminds

Bitter defrocked apostate
That's interesting, because it's said that the people at Gold have to re-shoot or re-edit their promotional videos every time somebody blows... but they don't do the same thing with their websites?

I suppose this continues the original intent for those websites: to flood the Internet and make searches arrive at "woo, Scientology works" websites instead of St. Pete Times articles and the like. It also means that people searching for old friends by name arrive at the old Sci website and believe the fiction that they're still 'in'.

I found a directory of all the 'personal home pages' somewhere (can't find it now) and about 90% of them were defunct. Maybe they're gradually disappearing over time?

The best remedy is probably to start afresh with new pages in a proper social networking environment. You'll rapidly overhaul the search ranking of an old, inactive website with modern Web 2.0 features such as inviting visitors to comment, Tweet and rate pages. The old pages (if CofS bothers to pay to keep them up) will be a virtually invisible, dried out electronic husk of a former life.

Stay safe online though - don't give out too much personal information, such as your address or place of work. In CofS, we have an enemy that is still powerful.

How else they they gonna try to support 8 million members statement?

I guess by not removing anyone ever involved to any extent.

If they've got eight (or ten, or twelve, or fifteen) million members... how come they have to work so hard to fill one under-sized cruise ship?

Stat

Gold Meritorious Patron
That's interesting, because it's said that the people at Gold have to re-shoot or re-edit their promotional videos every time somebody blows... but they don't do the same thing with their websites?

I suppose this continues the original intent for those websites: to flood the Internet and make searches arrive at "woo, Scientology works" websites instead of St. Pete Times articles and the like. It also means that people searching for old friends by name arrive at the old Sci website and believe the fiction that they're still 'in'.

I found a directory of all the 'personal home pages' somewhere (can't find it now) and about 90% of them were defunct. Maybe they're gradually disappearing over time?

The best remedy is probably to start afresh with new pages in a proper social networking environment. You'll rapidly overhaul the search ranking of an old, inactive website with modern Web 2.0 features such as inviting visitors to comment, Tweet and rate pages. The old pages (if CofS bothers to pay to keep them up) will be a virtually invisible, dried out electronic husk of a former life.

Stay safe online though - don't give out too much personal information, such as your address or place of work. In CofS, we have an enemy that is still powerful.

If they've got eight (or ten, or twelve, or fifteen) million members... how come they have to work so hard to fill one under-sized cruise ship?

These are some very good points, Freeminds. Thank you.

Axiom142

Gold Meritorious Patron
I suspect that if they removed everyone who was no longer in the CoS, they would have just a handful of pages left.

Obviously this wouldn’t look very good as it would show the whole world just how few supporters they have left now.

Axiom142

omnom

Patron with Honors
They don't really rate on modern search engine algorithms, though. If that's a top thing that pops up when searching for your name, go set up Linkedin, Facebook, Myspace, whatever, and it'll quickly surpass the clam pages - they're largely irrelevant as far as search weight.

Reverse downing-out Tech.

SomeGuy

Patron Meritorious
They don't really rate on modern search engine algorithms, though. If that's a top thing that pops up when searching for your name, go set up Linkedin, Facebook, Myspace, whatever, and it'll quickly surpass the clam pages - they're largely irrelevant as far as search weight.

Reverse downing-out Tech.

Yep, any of the social network sites will drown out name search issues (specially with an uncommon name) and you can control those pages yourself.

Easiest way to overcome bad google results.

There are many more social sites then just the big ones which will also help with the page ranking.

Also posting anything on the WSJ.com (wall street journal on any relatively popular story comments section) will flood your google search results.

HappyGirl

Gold Meritorious Patron
Hoodwinked, it was so interesting talking to you tonight!!! I think people would be interested in hearing the story that resulted in your posting this thread, as well as your celebrating your loss by going to PAC area graduation!! Your PAC Base walkabout was fascinating!! You know how this board loves stories. :drama:

Zinj

Brilliant. When I recieve my last check I'll tell them that since I'm an SP to please remove that embarrassment!!

Yep, any of the social network sites will drown out name search issues (specially with an uncommon name) and you can control those pages yourself.

Easiest way to overcome bad google results.

There are many more social sites then just the big ones which will also help with the page ranking.

Also posting anything on the WSJ.com (wall street journal on any relatively popular story comments section) will flood your google search results.

:thankyou: I googled myself and was thrilled to see that my "Scientology Service Completions" page didn't show up until page 2! It was preceded by facebook, linked in (in which I have an empty profile and no friends), mention of my community college, and a defunct business. And it said "circa 1995" boldly in the headline so at least it is dated 10+ years ago.

If Scientologists were allowed to use the internet the same way they are encouraged to view their other propaganda material they would make it a point of deleting those silly ass ancient aol wannabe webpages, but for now they are just their to provide links to their homepage to increase search engine ratings