'Going Clear' Author Lawrence Wright Calls on Celebrity Members to Reform Scientology

What's It All About

Patron with Honors
I'm afraid that Lawrence Wright is being naïve about the power of Tom C. and John T. to create real reform. I think the only reform would be pro forma - like Hubbard's "canceling" disconnection but being perfectly clear that the policy would remain in force.

The celebrities have no moral authority because it's they who are too scared to leave for fear of having their little secrets exposed thus ruining their careers. Not that they need more money, unless they are very poor at handling it. But their egos are utterly confused with their public images and their superstar status. They wouldn't know who to be if they couldn't occupy that image.

And Tom in particular has very far to fall. John at least has been clearly exposed to anyone who's paying attention as a barely closeted gay man. But Tom probably believes Miscavige's and his own public relations and has swallowed the ego-pandering party line hook, line and sinker. How can he get free without doing it quietly, over time? Any public demands for reform would just make him look like the gullible sucker that he is.

Excerpt:

"Lawrence Wright, the bestselling author of Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood and the Prison of Belief, called on the religion's "celebrity pitchmen" to use their "moral authority" to bring about reform in the Church...

He went on to argue that the only people with the pull and "moral authority" to bring about reform are the Church's celebrity adherents, including Tom Cruise and John Travolta.

Wright said they have a "moral responsibility" to educate themselves about Scientology's practices and to confront any abuses within the religion."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...r/news+(The+Hollywood+Reporter+-+Top+Stories)
[/h]

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Re: 'Going Clear' Author Lawrence Wright Calls on Celebrity Members to Reform Sciento

Wright said they have a "moral responsibility" to educate themselves about Scientology's practices and to confront any abuses within the religion."

I emphatically agree with Lawrence Wright on this point.

Actually, I believe that ALL Scientologists have a "moral responsibility" to educate themselves about Scientology's practices and to confront any abuses within the religion.

No question though that it would have a bigger impact for John Travolta to do this than for some unknown scientologist to do so.

I'm afraid that Lawrence Wright is being naïve about the power of Tom C. and John T. to create real reform.

Regardless of whether Cruise or Travolta were ultimately effective or not in creating real reform, they are in a position because of their relationships with the media to expose the abuses and apply intense pressure on the CoS. And certainly it IS the right thing to do.

JT, all by himself, could create an unprecedented media shitstorm to rain down on the CoS like they've never seen before. Plus he has high level government contacts thanks to the CoS. They've used him for decades as the point man in lobbying U.S. Presidents on behalf of Scientology and their front groups.

What's It All About

Patron with Honors
Re: 'Going Clear' Author Lawrence Wright Calls on Celebrity Members to Reform Sciento

RadarOnline features Lawrence Wright's statement that celebrities have a moral responsibility to reform scientology:

http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2...form-scientology-says-author-lawrence-wright/

"When asked if he thought the church has any chance of surviving the last two years of non-stop bad news and high profile defections, he said only if Cruise, and other celeb members use their “moral authority” to make it happen. And, he said, they have the “moral responsibility” to do just that."

It's not clear from this quote whether "make it happen" refers to the church's survival or to reform.

I still think that Wright is overly optomistic about scientology's likely demise, if that's what is implied here. It has too much money and too many feeder businesses and too many influential people who endorse it, even if they aren't members. Whether the influence is achieved through threats, flattery or bribery, it's there and widespread.

Look at the Catholic Church for the model of how abusive institutions maintain wealth, power and influence with barely a legal challenge. In Ireland, the politicians allowed abuse of thousands of children and women to go on unchecked for decades. The legal proceedings only touch the lower down individuals here and there.

There's no system-wide reform. And politicians only hold positions for a relatively few years, during which time they are all-concerned about their images and re-election. The church goes on with staff maintaining employment for life, unless they become a burden or a liability that can be proved. But with the church controlling and falsifying or hiding evidence, legal prosecution is obstructed.

These organizations are too good at protecting their staff, especially the higher-ups, from any serious consequences. Even now, as the pope resigns in the wake of both financial and sexual scandals, what do you think will happen to him or his underlings as they leave their positions?

Will they be out on the street, penniless, without jobs, references, credit, education or any hope for their future? No, they'll have their room somewhere, and some job, food, clothing, transportation, all protected for the rest of their lives. (They do seem to be effective at getting rid of the aging nuns though. Saves on expenses.)

The problem is that governments have too much complicity in maintaining the religious abusers in power because politicians are terrified of being attacked as anti-religion.

But I'm glad that Wright is putting pressure on the scientology actors. I don't think it will work, but if these actor-gluttons for public attention and admiration (and the jobs and money that put them in those positions of adulation) start to feel that scientology is a liability, they might just quietly leave.

I imagine that the cries of "religious bigotry" and "critics are Nazis" will start pouring forth from the sincere, decent, beleaguered actors. It will be interesting to see what their defensive strategies will be. Somehow I expect lots of articles in the National Enquirer about what a great guy Travolta is. And what an adoring father Cruise is.

And Greta Van Susteren, whose husband is actually getting standard western medical treatment for cancer, even though as an OT 8, he "pulled in" cancer, will probably come forth and congratulate scientologists for their high regard for "ethics". What happened to their healing powers? Or those of all the scientologists around them?

The more things change, the more they stay the same. The show is interesting though. It would be cool if Bart Simpson would have a crack-up and denounce scientology. Won't hold my breath, though.