What's new

Going Clear goes to Sweden

catarina

PTS Type III
I just received the weekly newletter in the documentary category, from the Swedish public service channel SVT, still the largest channel here. I simply have to quote the beginning of the top item from the email. :biggrin:

The most talked about documentary of the year is soon here!

What do you get if you mix an Oscar winner and a Pulitzer prize winner? You get the most talked about documentary of the year, and the DOX [their category of prime international documentaries] next week! It is quite rare that we focus on a movie this far ahead, but Prisoners of Scientology you really don't want to miss!

Nearly as many exclamation marks as in CoS promo. :p

If any Swedish people happen to read this, the show is aired on
Monday 18th, 22.00
Wednesday 20th, 23.35
It doesn't say if it will be available on Play.

catarina

PTS Type III
I want to add that only some people here have the pay channels, such as HBO, but absolutely everyone has SVT. The days of government monopoly are long gone and we have quite a few different commercial channels, but SVT still has a strong place.

There doesn't seem to be any major tv events that will run at the same time, no ice hockey world championship game, nothing like that (ok, there is a cultural program about the history of beauty ideals of the vagina, maybe that will steal a few viewers :p )

RogerB

Crusader
I want to add that only some people here have the pay channels, such as HBO, but absolutely everyone has SVT. The days of government monopoly are long gone and we have quite a few different commercial channels, but SVT still has a strong place.

There doesn't seem to be any major tv events that will run at the same time, no ice hockey world championship game, nothing like that (ok, there is a cultural program about the history of beauty ideals of the vagina, maybe that will steal a few viewers :p )

Ummmm, umm, being a science buff, this line of yours caught my attetion:
(ok, there is a cultural program about the history of beauty ideals of the vagina, maybe that will steal a few viewers :p )

Err, as viewed from the inside or outside??? :ohmy:

R

catarina

PTS Type III
I presume the channel can be picked up in Norway Finland and Denmark too?

Often yes. Usually, you have one or two main channels from your closest neighbouring country included in the basic package of channels (I have two Danish channels), then you can get extra ones for extra pay.

Going Clear has already aired in Denmark, on DR2, which isn't that surprising since the CoS has a heavier presence there, SO orgs and all. Here in Sweden, there are three starving orgs left. The Stockholm org, which used to have at least 100 staff, early 1980's, and was positioned in a very central spot, has expanded into some rooms in an office hotel in a far away suburb. I passed by a couple of years ago and they didn't even have a "Scientology" sign, just "Freedom Center" http://idleorgs.com/category/europe/sweden/stockholm/

But it became obvious to me when I read the heads-up from the television company that the CoS may be almost gone, but they are not forgotten. Perhaps some people are still pissed at them for pushing us to change our constitution. For those not familiar with the story, I'm too rushed right now to dig up good links, but here is a short summary:
http://culteducation.com/group/1284...critcism-forces-sweden-to-change-the-law.html
And this is a goodie - Ocala Star-Banner from Marion County, FL tells about how the CoS documents have been made secret in Sweden, just to go on and spill the beans about Xenu. :biggrin:
https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=AwhQAAAAIBAJ&sjid=JwgEAAAAIBAJ&pg=6686,1441985

catarina

PTS Type III
Ummmm, umm, being a science buff, this line of yours caught my attetion:

Err, as viewed from the inside or outside??? :ohmy:

R

Here is the entire quote:

The opinions on how female sex organs look or should look vary over time, like norms and beauty ideals. We meet medical historians, plastic surgeons, gynecologists and photographers who talk about the appearance of the vagina from different perspectives.

So, probably inside and out. :biggrin:

I think there has been a bit of a linguistic drift lately here in Sweden where vagina is used as a word for the whole deal, not just the inside part, when you want a "nice" word and not one of the grittier ones.

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
Often yes. Usually, you have one or two main channels from your closest neighbouring country included in the basic package of channels (I have two Danish channels), then you can get extra ones for extra pay.

Going Clear has already aired in Denmark, on DR2, which isn't that surprising since the CoS has a heavier presence there, SO orgs and all. Here in Sweden, there are three starving orgs left. The Stockholm org, which used to have at least 100 staff, early 1980's, and was positioned in a very central spot, has expanded into some rooms in an office hotel in a far away suburb. I passed by a couple of years ago and they didn't even have a "Scientology" sign, just "Freedom Center" http://idleorgs.com/category/europe/sweden/stockholm/

But it became obvious to me when I read the heads-up from the television company that the CoS may be almost gone, but they are not forgotten. Perhaps some people are still pissed at them for pushing us to change our constitution. For those not familiar with the story, I'm too rushed right now to dig up good links, but here is a short summary:
http://culteducation.com/group/1284...critcism-forces-sweden-to-change-the-law.html
And this is a goodie - Ocala Star-Banner from Marion County, FL tells about how the CoS documents have been made secret in Sweden, just to go on and spill the beans about Xenu. :biggrin:
https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=AwhQAAAAIBAJ&sjid=JwgEAAAAIBAJ&pg=6686,1441985

Mid 1980s Swedish orgs were nothing much, Stockholm was the biggest, but not that impressive, Malmo was tiny I think suffering from being too near to the CLO, Gothemburg had the nicest atmosphere, but it seems to have all changed with Malmo now out of the city centre completely, which is a shame because I liked the square, plenty of rooms for demos too.

catarina

PTS Type III
Mid 1980s Swedish orgs were nothing much, Stockholm was the biggest, but not that impressive, Malmo was tiny I think suffering from being too near to the CLO, Gothemburg had the nicest atmosphere, but it seems to have all changed with Malmo now out of the city centre completely, which is a shame because I liked the square, plenty of rooms for demos too.

No, the CoS never had a huge presence here; still it used to be more than now. The old org at Kammakargatan was certainly not pretty in any sense of the word, but it was rarely empty. You would run into body routers and book sellers on a regular basis. I don't know, but I suspect that the loan craze in the 1980's messed things up quite badly (apart from all the later stupid things).

I haven't been down to check on the Malmo "ideal org" yet, shame on me. I have no good reason other than that it would take some time, and Arlöv seems like a boring place. Well, when the CoS bought the place they claimed in a local newspaper that they were going to hire a hundred new people to keep up with the demand. I have to get around to take that trip soon.

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
No, the CoS never had a huge presence here; still it used to be more than now. The old org at Kammakargatan was certainly not pretty in any sense of the word, but it was rarely empty. You would run into body routers and book sellers on a regular basis. I don't know, but I suspect that the loan craze in the 1980's messed things up quite badly (apart from all the later stupid things).

I haven't been down to check on the Malmo "ideal org" yet, shame on me. I have no good reason other than that it would take some time, and Arlöv seems like a boring place. Well, when the CoS bought the place they claimed in a local newspaper that they were going to hire a hundred new people to keep up with the demand. I have to get around to take that trip soon.

You might find it hard to find it's hidden by trees by looks of things, you don't see it on street view (my favourite mode of transport) not a great place for foot traffic!
www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Sciento...0x4653a3ad6a8efc8d:0xe9839f0d401aecfa!6m1!1e1

catarina

PTS Type III
You might find it hard to find it's hidden by trees by looks of things, you don't see it on street view (my favourite mode of transport) not a great place for foot traffic!
www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Sciento...0x4653a3ad6a8efc8d:0xe9839f0d401aecfa!6m1!1e1

Since the org used to be office space for the still up and running sugar mill, I don't think it will be that hard to find. Anyway, I'm counting on that I can always ask a local - maybe I will even get to hear some funny story. :biggrin:

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
Since the org used to be office space for the still up and running sugar mill, I don't think it will be that hard to find. Anyway, I'm counting on that I can always ask a local - maybe I will even get to hear some funny story. :biggrin:

If you look in youtube there's the grand opening of it swathed in blue and yellow ribbons and local dignitaries talking about the cherch and human rights, they've really bought the bullshit. I refuse to link it here, though, I have some principles! The building looks very nice, how many staff there and how they manage to heat it in winter I have no idea. I guess that people will know of it in the area, not with too much affection. I would go through the trees carefully I think it might be a place to find used condoms and used needles.

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
Thanks, yes I watched it when it aired here. I have met Hakan Jarva a handful of times, he is a nice guy and brave to stick his chin out.

Yes indeed especially when he is exposing the large amount of money they are getting from their narconon malarkey. The cherch doesn't like being hit in the pocket area.

catarina

PTS Type III
If you look in youtube there's the grand opening of it swathed in blue and yellow ribbons and local dignitaries talking about the cherch and human rights, they've really bought the bullshit. I refuse to link it here, though, I have some principles! The building looks very nice, how many staff there and how they manage to heat it in winter I have no idea. I guess that people will know of it in the area, not with too much affection. I would go through the trees carefully I think it might be a place to find used condoms and used needles.

Since I don't know the area, I quickly checked some popular message boards. It seems Arlöv was a small factory/farming town that was never too fancy, but in recent years has been going downhill, with increasing levels of crime, unemployment, gangs, etc. Of course the local politicians must have been drooling when these nice church people said they would invest in the town and hire a hundred people.

Yeah, I'm not going there without male support. :no:

catarina

PTS Type III
There's an article in today's Dagens Nyheter, the largest morning paper, in anticipation of Going Clear that will air on Monday.

http://www.dn.se/kultur-noje/sa-snarjs-hollywoodstjarnorna-i-scientologins-nat/

Apart from bits and pieces from the movie, the people interviewed are Mariette Lindstein, who worked directly under DM for two years, and Håkan Järvå, who was a CoS member for 14 years, did some OT levels and worked for OSA but then left and trained to be a psychologist, he does quite a bit now to inform about manipulation, not just the CoS. An anonymous ex-member who supposedly met Hubbard several times is also included. Sorry, not energy to here to translate, you will have to do with Google.

The newspaper asked for a comment from the Stockholm org, but surprisingly they stuck their heads in the sand.

catarina

PTS Type III
The movie will air in less than an hour, and will be available on http://www.svtplay.se/dox after 22.00.

The biggest evening paper, Aftonbladet, just published an articled in the culture section:
http://www.aftonbladet.se/kultur/article20811512.ab

The science-fiction writer Hubbard's fantasies about space aliens seem secondary in importance compared to how the church's extortion has chiseled out a model for profit maximising that only exists in the wet dreams of extremist liberal businessmen.

catarina

PTS Type III
They will be keeping the movie available at http://www.svtplay.se/dox until July 17th, that's a long time. :biggrin:

The second biggest evening paper, Expressen, writes

The laughter of Tom Cruise should audition for the lead role in a horror movie. It echoes long after the end of the documentary "Prisoners of Scientology"

http://www.expressen.se/noje/kronik...slund-tom-cruises-skratt-platsar-i-en-rysare/

The CoS, always busy making friends.

On another note, it doesn't seem to matter that I have heard so many stories from exes, over and over. The maltreatment of children, the breaking up of families, I cry in sadness and rage every time. But that is fine, I don't want to stop caring. Hubby was fuming for a while after the movie, it brought back memories of PIs and smear campaigns, then asked me to please immediately order "The unbreakable miss lovely". I know my husband is still sad about losing his younger brother to them. At least his niece and nephew never joined.