What's new

Going Clear on HBO

jenni with an eye

Silver Meritorious Patron
I finished watching Going Clear on HBO about 45 Minutes ago and my synapses are still firing and my thoughts fragmented. :melodramatic:

For me, personally, it was cathartic, stunning and so, Sooooo true. :yes:

Having entered into Scn in the mid-latter 60's, having been a Sea Org Senior Exec/Officer and serving on the Apollo on El Ron's Personal Staff and walking away from the SO and ultimately Scn in the mid '80's I can personally attest that this Documentary is VERY accurate, more than fair to the point of restrained understatement and personal soulful catharsis. :thumbsup:

I'm not gonna a give a detailed Critique at this point as I want to watch the recording I made several more times and fully digest all the content. :coolwink:

It's been a long time coming...Thank you Lawrence, Alex et al. :clap:

Face:)

:thumbsup:

I thought it it was great too. :yes:

and I also look forward to seeing it again.

:bighug: for you Face

Thanks to the many that have contributed to getting the truth out there. :heartflower:

:coolwink:

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron
Dear Face, and all Ex-scientologists,

After watching this film, would you participate in a second film with Alex Gibney at the helm?

JB

Like Sheila said, anyone who puts themselves on the frontline against this cult really need to prep their family and friends very well beforehand.:yes:

I did to all my family, my in-laws and my work colleagues. It was harrowing to come out with what was going to go down when Sen. Xenophon made THAT speech and then Bryan aired the interview with "us.":omg:

And of course the inevitable blow-back from the cult in the form of nasty smear campaigns and worse.:angry::angry:

I'd happily participate in a 2nd film even tho' I've yet to see this one.:thumbsup:

I hope that this does embolden a lot more exes to speak out about the personal Hell that they've been through. It's worth doing it, folks - you got into the cult to help and getting the REAL truth out there is the best help you can ever do IMO.:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron
I have not been able to watch it where I am. However, just reading the reviews and knowing that it has now been seen by many I find a personal catharsis taking place. And in that catharsis perhaps the largest portion of feeling and thought is that scientology and other cults will greatly reduced in creating 'lost opportunity' and 'noble cause corruption'.

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
Like Sheila said, anyone who puts themselves on the frontline against this cult really need to prep their family and friends very well beforehand.:yes:

I did to all my family, my in-laws and my work colleagues. It was harrowing to come out with what was going to go down when Sen. Xenophon made THAT speech and then Bryan aired the interview with "us.":omg:

And of course the inevitable blow-back from the cult in the form of nasty smear campaigns and worse.:angry::angry:

I'd happily participate in a 2nd film even tho' I've yet to see this one.:thumbsup:

I hope that this does embolden a lot more exes to speak out about the personal Hell that they've been through. It's worth doing it, folks - you got into the cult to help and getting the REAL truth out there is the best help you can ever do IMO.:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:
I hope you know how much your efforts are appreciated, Scoots.
To you and all the exes who've put themselves (and their families) on the line in order to expose the madness, I say; "Heartfelt thanks! :clap:

TrevAnon

Big List researcher
Lots of exes are no longer Anonymous but making their names known on Tony O's blog today since Going Clear aired.

WWP will be working overtime keeping up with the names of those who have spoken out, as the list adds hundreds in the next few weeks! :happydance:

:hide:

JBWriter

Happy Sapien
I have already posted somewhere in the last few days one thing that it should include. (But it is a secret and not going to tell you where it is hiding on the internet. ..:coolwink:

What you would want included in Going Clear Part 2? Hmmm.

*JB feverishly scours the entire internet*

Found it!
*beams w/self-satisfaction*
*then beams again for no reason; don't judge*

Excerpt from YouCannotFindWhateverDChoiceIslwaysRsDoesNotWantYouToFind_dotcom:

"If there's a follow-up to Going Clear, I sure hope Alex Gibney includes eyewitness reports about the time in 1993 that, right after the War Is Over event, a 90-year old lady beat the stuffing out of David Miscavige right in front of the event venue. I heard that lady wasn't even winded after kicking his carcass all the way up two city blocks, and that he cried for days afterwards. - DChoiceIsAlwaysRs"

Yep. I'd like that included, too. :wink2:

JB

MissWog

Absolutely I would. However I have not yet had the opportunity to see "Going Clear" .

I have not been able to watch it where I am. However, just reading the reviews and knowing that it has now been seen by many I find a personal catharsis taking place. And in that catharsis perhaps the largest portion of feeling and thought is that scientology and other cults will greatly reduced in creating 'lost opportunity' and 'noble cause corruption'.
DC, I don't understand .. Are you saying that you fear former members will now be satisfied with the story as told?

I am kinda, pretty, drunkish, but I still have to ask.. I'm drunky dumb, break it down for me? :)

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron

Found it!

"If there's a follow-up to Going Clear, I sure hope Alex Gibney includes eyewitness reports about the time in 1993 that, right after the War Is Over event, a 90-year old lady beat the stuffing out of David Miscavige right in front of the event venue. I heard that lady wasn't even winded after kicking his carcass all the way up two city blocks, and that he cried for days afterwards. - DChoiceIsAlwaysRs"

JB

LOL....just more proof that I am going senile. I don't remember that....but I will have to ask my mom to be a little more discrete and lady like regarding her protection of her children from con-men. Thanks mom!

Now back to regular programming....this is part of what I posted over on Marty's blog

" how to stop OSA in its clandestine tactics. Not only do the Abuses of Human rights need to end, the insidious manipulation of our society and our government need to be exposed in a fashion similar to how I understand “Going Clear” ( I haven’t seen it) exposes the other facets of manipulation."

What I am talking about is the Social Coordination portion of OSA which surely had a role in Religious Freedom Restoration Act.

http://gravatar.com/0edb6eb87630b53fffbebe0c9f594861

Oh and did I jump threads here on ESMB?

Last edited:

TrevAnon

Big List researcher
Lol, TrevAnon! :bighug: You poor thing!

THANK YOU for all you do!!!!! :grouphug:

Do you want some help with the names? Can we assist you in some way?

Yup, you (meaning all of you exes out there) sure can!

I have posted several threads asking for confirmation if people speaking out were in. E.g.

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...e-people-who-signed-the-petition-left-the-COS

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?24683-Halp-can-anyone-confirm-these-people-were-once-in

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?28096-Confirmations-needed-for-ex-list

Any feedback would be appreciated. :biggrin:

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron
DC, I don't understand .. Are you saying that you fear former members will now be satisfied with the story as told?

I am kinda, pretty, drunkish, but I still have to ask.. I'm drunky dumb, break it down for me? :)

I do NOT have fear of that. In fact I (and remember I have not seen the documentary) think that former members will be very grateful from many aspects. Sure from some reviews that there was a lot was not included, but how the hell could Alex Gibney possibly get everything in within a 2 hour time frame. Just not possible.

My catharsis comes from the concept that a comprehensive 2 hour "snap shot" will yield and accurate understanding to a very broad audience and I hope, as I see so many examples of, the broad public will be outraged and will help in bringing to an end to the ultimate betrayal of goodness as well as the ubiquitous harm brought about by cults especially by scientology. Noble cause corruption if you will.

Jump

Operating teatime

The cult is always worse than you think, so to be believable, Gibney walked a fine line between the absurd and the weak.

I think he managed to nail it - the outlandish abuse and the real personal betrayal.

If it causes interest in further accounts, the upcoming books and investigation of their tax concessions, it has done its job.

This is only the start. People will continue upturning rocks and being horrified.

Found it!

JB

L Wright's main motivation AFAIK was to explore/answer a question : Why do people believe what they believe? .......and other questions that came out of that, and specifically in regard to scientology. I can't help feeling that somewhere along the line each of them decided that to "nail the bastards" was also a good idea.

I wonder what L. Wright's next question will be.
I'm sure there are lots of questions being asked by everybody and a lot of reporting is going to be done including more doco's....and more.

MissWog

After just a few hours of sleep, hubby and I just watched it..
As a non-scientology watcher, he summed it up pretty well!
"Yeah, that ain't good for the church"

Churchill

Gold Meritorious Patron
Yeh, sorry, JB, I added that so you didn't think I was making fun of you. You're awesome.

Hypothetically, if I were to participate in a movie exposing Scientology, I would never say so on a forum, and I would have to prep my entire family in advance, as well as be ready to take a holiday in maybe Alaska, and even then it's a really big, life-affecting decision.

But if there were, say, 500 people agreeing to appear in the next film, the repercussions wouldn't be anywhere near as bad to the individuals so 500 might just do it.

With any luck the next film will include congressional testimony.

LA SCN

NOT drinking the kool-aid
I finished watching Going Clear on HBO about 45 Minutes ago and my synapses are still firing and my thoughts fragmented. :melodramatic:

For me, personally, it was cathartic, stunning and so, Sooooo true. :yes:

Having entered into Scn in the mid-latter 60's, having been a Sea Org Senior Exec/Officer and serving on the Apollo on El Ron's Personal Staff and walking away from the SO and ultimately Scn in the mid '80's I can personally attest that this Documentary is VERY accurate, more than fair to the point of restrained understatement and personal soulful catharsis. :thumbsup:

I'm not gonna a give a detailed Critique at this point as I want to watch the recording I made several more times and fully digest all the content. :coolwink:

It's been a long time coming...Thank you Lawrence, Alex et al. :clap:

Face:)

I couldn't agree more.

This was no shallow, provacative hit piece - it was, like the book it was based on, an even handed and fair enlightenment to the truth for any who care to watch.

Paul Haggis spoke so well of his experience there just is no denying it.

I hope Hollywood is ON FIRE with the truth of the CofS malignant practices.

And may Tom Cruise never be the same. :duh:

MissWog

Okay, baby is napping.. I'm going try to nap also (I need it after last night) but the point is, I am gonna try to fall asleep to Going Clear and soak in viewing #2 .. I think it will take at least 5 viewings to absorb it all!