What's new

Got a Very Weird Email Last Night

OliviaZero

Patron with Honors
Miss Sindy,

1st, LOL that you think drama couldn't happen on WWP or with Aaron, without you posting that letter. :roflmao:

2nd, I'm so glad you posted it---that fact that no one else did doesn't make them right and you wrong. You were the only one brave enough and with the resources to share it. Every little light shone onto cult tactics helps, and with one post you made quite a light, baybee.

3rd, I'm sick of numbering things, so lemme make this the last (this time!). I was taken aback when I read just now that you've only been out for 9 months. I guess I sort of knew it hadn't been long, but that's a really short time after long time indoctrination. I think you are one very cool lady, and you are doing way more than fine at shaking the cult and living your life. Keep on keeping on with your bad self, woman. Don't let anyone make you doubt yourself.

<3<3

Sindy

Crusader
Miss Sindy,

1st, LOL that you think drama couldn't happen on WWP or with Aaron, without you posting that letter. :roflmao:

2nd, I'm so glad you posted it---that fact that no one else did doesn't make them right and you wrong. You were the only one brave enough and with the resources to share it. Every little light shone onto cult tactics helps, and with one post you made quite a light, baybee.

3rd, I'm sick of numbering things, so lemme make this the last (this time!). I was taken aback when I read just now that you've only been out for 9 months. I guess I sort of knew it hadn't been long, but that's a really short time after long time indoctrination. I think you are one very cool lady, and you are doing way more than fine at shaking the cult and living your life. Keep on keeping on with your bad self, woman. Don't let anyone make you doubt yourself.

<3<3

Hi OliviaZero (Do I know you in another world? FB?), :wave:

What a funny posting! Thank you. I'm trying to peel off the goop. I appear to be doing a good job and maybe I am but...I think about it A LOT as in ALL THE TIME. I used to dream about the cult almost every single night when I first got out.

BTW, you and YOUR bad self, do you often number things? :giggle:

Sindy

Crusader
Upgrading My Bridge to Total Status

Hey, who wants to make a Patron with Honors tonight? I only have 6 (now 5) more posts to go. Who wants to make the first move? I promise I won't keep you all night or lock the door or refuse or guilt you into not leaving if you try to go home. Okay, let the posts begin. :dieslaughing:

Sindy

Crusader
I think I'm going to have to take this on myself. Okay, anyone out there willing to do their Patron with Honors tonight? Anybody? Now I really need you to dig deep. Think of what this means for mankind. Who is going to get the ball rolling tonight? Synthia?

Sindy

Crusader
I think I'm going to have to take this on myself. Okay, anyone out there willing to do their Patron with Honors tonight? Anybody? Now I really need you to dig deep. Think of what this means for mankind. Who is going to get the ball rolling tonight? Synthia?

Okay, I'll do it if 5 other people match me. :coolwink:

See, now I am a Patron with Honors :dance3::cheerleader::woohoo:

OliviaZero

Patron with Honors

Hi OliviaZero (Do I know you in another world? FB?), :wave:

What a funny posting! Thank you. I'm trying to peel off the goop. I appear to be doing a good job and maybe I am but...I think about it A LOT as in ALL THE TIME. I used to dream about the cult almost every single night when I first got out.

BTW, you and YOUR bad self, do you often number things? :giggle:

FB, hmmm...mebbe. :whistling: :eyeroll:

I still occasionally have dreams about the cult, even though my experience was brief and a long time ago. In the dreams I always relive that "invasion of the body snatchers" feeling where I'm paranoid one of them will call me out (for not being one of them). Good times.

1bodysnatchers.jpg

I think having dreams about the cult is normal after you leave. Kinda like those nightmares about high school where you show up nekkid to class (or is that just me who has those?). It's a post traumatic stress sorta thing. It will get easier.

Patron of honor! Go you! :happydance:

Last edited:

Sindy

Crusader
No, I have been delaying that because I am considering a rewrite, or I've been too lazy. You can choose, most of the people here know which one it is.

LOL, okay. :) Thanks. I may have to break down and order from your link here. I have so many things to buy right now. I was going to pay the same thing and just not have to go to the store or wait

Sanitarium

Thanks. I can trash it...I just ignored it when I got it early this morning and didn't feel the need to post it here until I saw these later posts about things not adding up. I simply added it here as a weirdness in the whole scenario. I'm not losing sleep over it though. :)

I don't know what email provider the address was sent to, but most of them will send your IP address in the header. Maybe they wanted to get your IP address? They'd have to get you to reply to a message in order to get it though, so if you had replied, they would have had your IP.

As far as I know, the only providers that do not send IP's are fastmail and Gmail (there could be more though). Good thing you didn't reply!

My daughter received an email tonight which was sent from my gmail account that is associated with ESMB.
The e-mail had a header which said that the email was from Fairplay. The email went to her university email account.
I do not know her university email address and I did not send any email to her.
I hadn't used this gmail account over the previous 5 days.
So I checked my gmail account in the 'sent items' and there I found the said email with Fairplay as the header and supposedly I sent it to my daughter.
As I said, I dont know her uni email address and Fairplay is my user name on this board only. OSA causing strife or relatives in the computer business trying to cause strife. It didnt work......whoever you are:)

Don't worry, someone probably just wanted to intimidate you by sending your daughter a message with your username here, spoofing the sender details (ie. pretending to send it from your account):

Google help: Someone is sending mail from my address.

It happens a lot with spam messages - in an attempt to get past Gmail's spam filter's, spammers will 'spoof' the sender address and put the address of the receiver (you) as the sender, so it appears as you though you sent it to yourself - and in your "sent items" it does appear you sent it to yourself!

If you are worried someone is accessing your Gmail account, you can always view the "Recent Activity".

Scroll right down to the bottom of the page and see in smaller print:

This account is open in 1 other location at this IP (xxx.xxx.xxx.xx). Last account activity: 0 minutes ago. Details

Click the "Details" link and it will show you the last 10 'visits' to your gmail account - browser, IP & access time.

Although from what you said, it appears someone has just spoofed your address in he "sender" and "reply-to" sections in an attempt to intimidate you.

(back to lurky mode for me!)

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
I don't know what email provider the address was sent to, but most of them will send your IP address in the header. Maybe they wanted to get your IP address? They'd have to get you to reply to a message in order to get it though, so if you had replied, they would have had your IP.

As far as I know, the only providers that do not send IP's are fastmail and Gmail (there could be more though). Good thing you didn't reply!

Don't worry, someone probably just wanted to intimidate you by sending your daughter a message with your username here, spoofing the sender details (ie. pretending to send it from your account):

It happens a lot with spam messages - in an attempt to get past Gmail's spam filter's, spammers will 'spoof' the sender address and put the address of the receiver (you) as the sender, so it appears as you though you sent it to yourself - and in your "sent items" it does appear you sent it to yourself!

If you are worried someone is accessing your Gmail account, you can always view the "Recent Activity".

This account is open in 1 other location at this IP (xxx.xxx.xxx.xx). Last account activity: 0 minutes ago. Details

Click the "Details" link and it will show you the last 10 'visits' to your gmail account - browser, IP & access time.

Although from what you said, it appears someone has just spoofed your address in he "sender" and "reply-to" sections in an attempt to intimidate you.

Thanks, Sanitarium, and welcome to ESMB!

This is the kind of information we all need here, given the hackers the Church employs to spy on and intimidate their critics.

Don't be a stranger!

Royal Prince Xenu

Trust the Psi Corps.

I still occasionally have dreams about the cult, even though my experience was brief and a long time ago. In the dreams I always relive that "invasion of the body snatchers" feeling where I'm paranoid one of them will call me out (for not being one of them). Good times.

I think having dreams about the cult is normal after you leave. Kinda like those nightmares about high school where you show up nekkid to class (or is that just me who has those?). It's a post traumatic stress sorta thing. It will get easier.

Allegedly this is a very common phenomena. I kind of learned very quickly that no one else seemed to notice, so such dreams never worried me.

skollie

Silver Meritorious Patron

Welcome Sanitarium :wave:

This is correct and a great feature of gmail to see the ip's that have logged into the account. I often get spam that appears to have been sent from myself which is just my email address being spoofed. However, Fairplay's situation appears to be more than a spoofing situation because once she/he checked the email box, the email was in the sent folder.

Originally Posted by Fairplay View Post
My daughter received an email tonight which was sent from my gmail account that is associated with ESMB.
The e-mail had a header which said that the email was from Fairplay. The email went to her university email account.
I do not know her university email address and I did not send any email to her.
I hadn't used this gmail account over the previous 5 days.
So I checked my gmail account in the 'sent items' and there I found the said email with Fairplay as the header and supposedly I sent it to my daughter.
As I said, I dont know her uni email address and Fairplay is my user name on this board only. OSA causing strife or relatives in the computer business trying to cause strife. It didnt work......whoever you are

Sanitarium

Thanks for the welcome guys, much appreciaed!

However, Fairplay's situation appears to be more than a spoofing situation because once she/he checked the email box, the email was in the sent folder.

Ahh well here's the point, we can only present conjecture unless we have the full header's to examine (no I was not suggesting they be provided of course!).

However eve Gmail admits that mail that has spoofed sender/reply-to address as yours can still appear in your sent items even if it was not sent from your email address. ie.

"...Because of the way gmail works, mail can appear in your sent mail folder even if it wasn't sent directly from your account.."

source

"..You need to examine the Message-ID and "Received" headers to know for sure. If a message with your address in a spoofed From header makes it past the Spam filters, it will show up in Sent Mail, even if it did not originate in your account."

Source

But in any case, the prudent thing has been done IIRC, and he has changed his password ;)

PS: This has actually happened to me before, mail was sent to someone I know "from" my gmail account, no unauthorized access to my account and was in the "sent" folder (and not spam!)

skollie

Silver Meritorious Patron
Sanitarium;494522 However eve Gmail admits that mail that has spoofed sender/reply-to address as yours can [i said:
still appear in your sent items[/i] even if it was not sent from your email address. ie.

"...Because of the way gmail works, mail can appear in your sent mail folder even if it wasn't sent directly from your account.."

Learn something new everyday.:thumbsup: I've not had any spam from me show up in my sent box, but won't panic if they do!

Sanitarium

Learn something new everyday.:thumbsup: I've not had any spam from me show up in my sent box, but won't panic if they do!
hahah I always panic over that, I like to keep my emails 'clean' by not leaving it anywhere it can be picked up by a spambot, so if I get one, I'm all like "now where did I leave this email to get harvested? gahhh!" LOL

Lurker5

Gold Meritorious Patron
Dreams

1bodysnatchers.jpg

I think I am having cult scno dreams too, but then cannot remember them when I wake up. I am left feeling like you, Body Snatchers, being found out I am not one of them. I - also like you - was never really in, just had a brush a long long long time ago. :lol:

And yep, I have had naked dreams, showing up in school without a stitch -mostly when I was younger. Then for many years after school I'd dream I was in school and could not find my locker, or if I found it, could not recall the combination. Or that I was to take a final history test, and had not only not studied, I had never even opened the book.

Why HISTORY ???? :lol:

I think this is normal - and just let's a person know, there is a bit of anxiety going on. Best recognize that, and not worry about it, just let it be. Anxiety in stressful times is normal too.

Isn't it great being normal :yes: :D :thumbsup:
Isn't it great to dream :happydance::thumbsup:
Great to be free . . . :thewave:

MrNobody

Who needs merits?
Welcome Sanitarium :wave:

This is correct and a great feature of gmail to see the ip's that have logged into the account. I often get spam that appears to have been sent from myself which is just my email address being spoofed. However, Fairplay's situation appears to be more than a spoofing situation because once she/he checked the email box, the email was in the sent folder.

Simple. If the email was in the sent folder, Fairplay's e-mail account has been physically abused, which is why I suggested to change ALL passwords ASAP.

MrNobody

Who needs merits?
Thanks for the welcome guys, much appreciaed!

Ahh well here's the point, we can only present conjecture unless we have the full header's to examine (no I was not suggesting they be provided of course!).

However eve Gmail admits that mail that has spoofed sender/reply-to address as yours can still appear in your sent items even if it was not sent from your email address. ie.

source

"..You need to examine the Message-ID and "Received" headers to know for sure. If a message with your address in a spoofed From header makes it past the Spam filters, it will show up in Sent Mail, even if it did not originate in your account."

Source

But in any case, the prudent thing has been done IIRC, and he has changed his password ;)

PS: This has actually happened to me before, mail was sent to someone I know "from" my gmail account, no unauthorized access to my account and was in the "sent" folder (and not spam!)

Emphasis in red

WHAT? They go online with an email system THAT broken? I'm speechless...